Another Cheap But Decent Place.

luckyluke

After the "Beer & Coffee" in Soi Khao Noi(Darkside), the "Coffee & Beer" ( near Friendship); the

"Katesiree" in Soi Bukhaow, there is now the "Beer & Beer" also in Soi Bukhaow, near Soi 21.

All these places belong to the same Thai/Chinese family.

They are all decent, clean, with cheap drinks, places.

A plus point for a lot of us.

A new bar restaurant opened on the Darkside last night but i forgot the name. It's located directly across from the PJ bar and restaurant on Soi Khow Noi.

I had a shock when i looked at the price of my Singha light beer which was priced at 29 baht.

Beat that for price!!

I won't be a regular as it's not my scene with no ladies or S/T rooms which moves it down the order but a comfortable place to chill out mid afternoon.

Looks like there are a few decent places popping up with good value drinks. We went to the Marquee on Soi Bua Khao, the Pattaya Klang end, its red and white striped walls just like the Marquee club was in London years ago with 60's memorabilia on the walls and a Lambretta parked in the bar!!

It's a large open air venue that's only been open 2 or 3 months that plays 60's, 70's and 80's music trying to cater for the 40+ market i guess. Happy fun staff, dressed in air hostess uniforms with a really nice ambiance feel in there, the music is in the background so you can actually have a conversation, immaculate toilette's and really cheap prices about 50 baht for Heineken and 30 or 35 Leo etc.

They have done this bar right just how it should be done a real + for that area.

A new bar restaurant opened on the Darkside last night but i forgot the name. It's located directly across from the PJ bar and restaurant on Soi Khow Noi.

I had a shock when i looked at the price of my Singha light beer which was priced at 29 baht.

Beat that for price!!

I won't be a regular as it's not my scene with no ladies or S/T rooms which moves it down the order but a comfortable place to chill out mid afternoon.

I hope the AC works well, long thin bar with a full clear glass front, Don't think I will be venturing in there anytime soon.

I pay a visit to the new resto/bar in Soi Khao Noi, the name of the place is "Star Light Bar", nice new place, inside air-co, outside terrace with fans and a covered place where you can play pool.

Small Leo 29 ThB; Large 49 Thb.

They advertise English and Thai food.

After the "Coffee & Beer" another decent and cheap place on the Darkside.

I also pay a visit to "The Marquee" in Soi Bukhaow, here also a positive opinion, nice clean place, no loud music.

Large Leo 65 ThB, mostly attended by 50+ and 60+.

Edited by luckyluke

Looks like there are a few decent places popping up with good value drinks. We went to the Marquee on Soi Bua Khao, the Pattaya Klang end, its red and white striped walls just like the Marquee club was in London years ago with 60's memorabilia on the walls and a Lambretta parked in the bar!!

It's a large open air venue that's only been open 2 or 3 months that plays 60's, 70's and 80's music trying to cater for the 40+ market i guess. Happy fun staff, dressed in air hostess uniforms with a really nice ambiance feel in there, the music is in the background so you can actually have a conversation, immaculate toilette's and really cheap prices about 50 baht for Heineken and 30 or 35 Leo etc.

They have done this bar right just how it should be done a real + for that area.

I hope it does well. So much more sensible to have music in the background. I often wonder how much business do places lose because of deafening noise sorry music.

any chance of more details where? if coming off pattaya klang would it be on left or right, approx how far up. sounds right up my street difficult to look for new places in the truck with the traffic the way it is. i live on darkside but its cheaper to drive into town to places like this than stay around here at 65-70 a beer. boring as heck as well

Beat that for price!!

That bar must be a 7/11 and they must be selling also grocery's and everything else because selling only drinks will make them dissapear in a few months.I guess at that profit margin they have to sell about 300 beers a day just to cover the costs.

Edited by pipo1000

"That bar must be a 7/11 and they must be selling also grocery's and everything else because selling only drinks will make them dissapear in a few months.I guess at that profit margin they have to sell about 300 beers a day just to cover the costs."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Maybe, let's hope not. It's a restaurant also. The other decent cheap places don't do it to bad for the moment.

The "Beer & Coffee" ; "Coffee & Beer" ; rent rooms and sell food to, The "Beer & Beer" drinks and food.

The " Katesiree" drinks and rooms.

Edited by luckyluke

"That bar must be a 7/11 and they must be selling also grocery's and everything else because selling only drinks will make them dissapear in a few months.I guess at that profit margin they have to sell about 300 beers a day just to cover the costs."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Maybe, let's hope not. It's a restaurant also. The other decent cheap places don't do it to bad for the moment.

The "Beer & Coffee" ; "Coffee & Beer" ; rent rooms and sell food to, The "Beer & Beer" drinks and food.

The " Katesiree" drinks and rooms.

I can understand that they do "Well" at those prices but I assume you don't see their bank acount.The ones who rent out rooms can have their costs covered probably but a bafr that sells beers with a 5 Baht profit margin can not be profitable in my opinion.

You only have to look at Witherspoons in the UK to know that there is heaps of money to be made out of selling cheap beer in the right environment.

I'm no fan of Witherspoons, but they've got their business plan perfect.

What's happening is nothing new in Patts, anyway. New Plaza has been selling cheaply since time immemorial and that, combined with its relaxed atmosphere and central location, is why it is consistently busier than most other areas of town.

Edited by Soi Sauce

• 2 weeks later...

Well the OP states that the same owner has expanded the same basic concept to 4 locations.

So one would assume the business model is working.

Its working all right-you just have to see the number of people in all three compared to other bars.:jap:

Well the OP states that the same owner has expanded the same basic concept to 4 locations.

Its working all right-you just have to see the number of people in all three compared to other bars.:jap:

Many years ago I heard that story about the man who sold fish on the market.Because there were already so many selling fish he had no customers so he decided to sell his fish 20 Satang below the price he bought it in.

Within a few days he was the busiest fish seller on the market as everybody wanted to buy his fish.

At the end of the day he had sold truckloads of his goods,however surprisingly there was no profit.

Many years ago I heard that story about the man who sold fish on the market.Because there were already so many selling fish he had no customers so he decided to sell his fish 20 Satang below the price he bought it in.

Within a few days he was the busiest fish seller on the market as everybody wanted to buy his fish.

At the end of the day he had sold truckloads of his goods,however surprisingly there was no profit.

No-one was talking about selling without a profit margin just boosting turnover by good service and lower than average prices. If I can buy the same quality product in two different place but one charges 50% more than the other I know which one I would choose. If the owners are Thai, they might be bucking the usual trend of 'no customers, increase the price' but I bet they are making money!

The owners of these 3 bars/guest houses AND 2 gold shops are chinese and been in business in patts for quite some time-the refurb of Kateserie House alone cost a small fortune-AND no increase in prices-do you think for one minute that if they were not making money they would this? :blink:

• 7 months later...

Witherspoons business model does not work with one outlet and low volumes.

If they are following Witherspoons' expansionist model, they will be buying beer near a sell by date and hoping to turn a quick buck before it goes off and they have to throw it away (yeah, right !).

Only certain folk can tap into the wholesale beer market and a westerner with an outlet or two is not one of them.

I just to go to a bar in soi 2 for many years and got to know the owner very well. She bought small Shinga beer bottles for 12 Baht and small Heineken for 15 Baht. That was only 6 years ago. How much would it cost now? 30% - 40% more? How much profit can you still make?

Cheers

jopham

^

As customer, what profit the owners of bars and other drinking places are making is not our business. I applaud, and I am sure others do as well, the venue of another new, nice and cheap place.

But surely the crux of this thread is about businesses seemingly selling beer at prices near to those which regular folk can actually buy it, even in some volume. Were they paying the same, then there would be no profit and thus no business, irrespective of volumes.

Quite how they manage that remains unanswered.

^

Sorry, this thread is about clean, nice and cheap places.

Once again, as one of the many customers who attend these places, it's not of my concern how they managed it, or should some people want we boycott these places because they are to cheap.