IAEA head says Iran has not provided proof that its nuclear program is peaceful

News_Editor

IAEA head says Iran has not provided proof that its nuclear program is peaceful

2010-12-03 06:00:23 GMT+7 (ICT)

VIENNA, AUSTRIA (BNO NEWS) -- The International Atomic Energy Agency's Director General Yukiya Amano on Thursday said that Iran has not provided the necessary cooperation to allow the agency to confirm that the purpose of its nuclear program is purely peaceful.

"Iran is not implementing the requirements contained in the relevant resolutions of the Board of Governors and the Security Council, including implementation of the Additional Protocol, which are essential to building confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of Iran’s nuclear program," said Amano.

Amano remarked that IAEA needs Iran’s clarification over outstanding issues which have caused concern about possible military applications of its nuclear program. IAEA’s head said that collaboration should include providing access to all sites, equipment, persons and documents requested by the agency.

Many countries have expressed their concern about the Iranian nuclear program as they believe that Iran I attempting to build atomic weapons instead of the purely peaceful purpose of supplying energy. The claims are led by the United States.

"I request Iran to take steps towards the full implementation of its Safeguards Agreement and its other obligations. I would also like to welcome the forthcoming meeting between Iran and the EU 3 + 3 scheduled for next week in Geneva," said IAEA’s head.

In 2003, it was found that Iran had concealed its nuclear activities for nearly two decades in violation of its Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) obligations. In June, the UN Security Council imposed a series of sanctions against Iran.

The fourth round of sanctions, which were backed by the U.S., were imposed citing the proliferation risks of its nuclear program and its continued failure to comply with IAEA’s requests.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-12-03

This is old news exactly the same was said in early March 2010, it is nothing but a repetition of moves :

"The agency continues to verify the non-diversion of declared nuclear material in Iran, but we cannot confirm that all nuclear material in Iran is in peaceful activities because Iran has not provided the agency with the necessary co-operation," Mr Amano said. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8543401.stm

Early October 2009, however this was said by the Director General of the IAEA :

"As I have said many times, and I continue to say today, the Agency has no concrete proof there is an ongoing weapons programme in Iran."

"We don't have any information that any components of nuclear weapons have been manufactured."

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/Transcripts/2009/transcr041009.html

"Iran is not implementing the requirements contained in the relevant resolutions of the Board of Governors and the Security Council, including implementation of the Additional Protocol, which are essential to building confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear program,"