Russian Prime Minister Putin travels to Zurich to celebrate 2018 World Cup bid

News_Editor

Russian Prime Minister Putin travels to Zurich to celebrate 2018 World Cup bid

2010-12-03 08:21:25 GMT+7 (ICT)

MOSCOW, RUSSIA (BNO NEWS) -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin on Thursday made a quick trip to Zurich, Switzerland to participate in the celebrations of Russia's successful 2018 World Cup bid.

"I am going to Zurich. I promised members of the Executive Committee that if the decision was made in Russia's favor, I would certainly come to thank them personally and speak about our preparation plans," Putin said.

On Thursday morning, FIFA’s Executive Committee chose Russia to host the 2018 World Cup over the bids from England, Netherlands and Belgium, and Spain and Portugal. This will be the first time that Russia will host the prestigious soccer competition.

"You have entrusted us with the FIFA World Cup for 2018 and I can promise that you will never regret it," said Igor Shuvalov, Russia's deputy prime minister. "Let us make history together."

One day before, Putin announced that he would not join the Russian delegation for the announcement ceremony as he did not want to put pressure on the FIFA executives making the decision.

However, the Prime Minister expressed his confidence that Russia will be selected as he considered that the European country deserved it. Before flying to Zurich, PM Putin pledged that Russia will make every effort to hold the 2018 World Cup at the highest level possible.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-12-03

No doubt there will be a few envelopes to distribute too. Football is not a game, not 30 or more years its a business, an opportunity to make a lot of money for some people and we should not forget that, same as the Olympics. The folk who decide the fate of these money pit events are answerable to who and how did they get their positions, transparency is not an adjacent word. Their decisions have always been a surprise so it hardly a surprise now. If I were in their position and I was asked to look at a situation with an enevelope in one hand I would certainly look at it too, unfortunately I see no trough.

Dont be surprised to see some interesting scores and decisions I wont.

The more important question that Swiss readers want to know, is whether or not Vlad will be posing shirtless, perhaps playing with some balls. Ummm soccer balls. :whistling:

Its maybe only you, i don't think the average Swiss reader is wired on that mindset.