WikiLeaks website again offline after company cuts DNS service

News_Editor

WikiLeaks website again offline after company cuts DNS service

2010-12-03 14:00:42 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- The whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks went again offline on early Friday morning after the company providing its DNS services had decided to stop the service.

The outage comes just two days after Amazon Web Services (AWS) decided to end its hosting agreements with WikiLeaks, resulting in the website to go offline for several hours until it was moved back to its previous Swedish host Bahnhof.

"AWS does not pre-screen its customers, but it does have terms of service that must be followed," the company said in a statement on Thursday. "WikiLeaks was not following them," it added, saying WikiLeaks provided content it did not have the rights to and said those could cause injury to a person or entity.

Then on late Thursday, while the site continued to suffer from attacks but managed to stay online, EveryDNS.net decided to stop its free DNS service to WikiLeaks. "The termination of services was effected pursuant to, and in accordance with, the EveryDNS.net Acceptable Use Policy," it said in a statement on its website.

EveryDNS.net said WikiLeaks violated the provision which states that "Member shall not interfere with another Member's use and enjoyment of the Service or another entity's use and enjoyment of similar services."

"The interference at issues arises from the fact that wikileaks.org has become the target of multiple distributed denial of service (DDOS) attacks. These attacks have, and future attacks would, threaten the stability of the EveryDNS.net infrastructure, which enables access to almost 500,000 other websites," the company said in a statement.

EveryDNS.net said it sent a 24 hour termination notification email to the email address associated with the WikiLeaks.org domain on Thursday night. It also sent notices through Twitter and via the chat function which was available on the WikiLeaks website.

"Any downtime of the wikileaks.org website has resulted from its failure to use another hosted DNS service provider," the statement concluded.

The move by EveryDNS.net means that WikiLeaks is not available through its wikileaks.org domain, but is only accessible through an IP-address. The domain was still unavailable as of 2 a.m. ET on Friday and it was not immediately clear how long it would take to restore access.

On its official Twitter account, WikiLeaks has increased the number of appeals for donations to its followers, signaling that the organization could be in financial difficulty. It also did the same after its domain became unavailable on Thursday night.

"WikiLeaks,org domain killed by US everydns.net after claimed mass attacks KEEP US STRONG," a message on Twitter read, followed by a link to donate. Soon later, a second tweet also appealed for donations. "You can also easily support WikiLeaks," it said, followed by another donation link.

WikiLeaks has made headlines several times this year. On April 5, the organization released a classified video which showed a 2007 U.S. helicopter attack in Iraq which left several people killed, including two Reuters journalists.

And in July, WikiLeaks released the so-called 'Afghan War Diary', more than 92,000 documents with sensitive details about the ongoing war in Afghanistan. It was one of the largest leaks in the history of the U.S. military, but also exposed the names of Afghans who have provided information to NATO.

Then, in late October, WikiLeaks released nearly 400,000 U.S. Army field reports of the Iraq War from 2004 to 2009. It led to several revelations, including new reports of civilian deaths. It was the biggest leak in U.S. military history.

And most recently, WikiLeaks began to release some of 250,000 diplomatic cables it claims to have. The organization has said it will release all of the cables in the course of the coming weeks and months on its website.

But meanwhile, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is wanted in Sweden on accusations of sexual molestation and rape. An international arrest warrant has been issued and is being circulated through a 'Red Notice' from Interpol.

On Thursday, British media reported that UK police know where Assange is but have not acted on the arrest warrant because it was not filled out correctly by Swedish police. Prosecutors in Sweden have since said they would refile the arrest warrant, which would enable British police to take him into custody.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-12-03

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have all we need to know from Wickileaks.

You can't believe government - any government. The world is rotten to the core; our politicians are inveterate liars; the truth is more damaging than any bomb. Hence, you have to hide it, deny it as such, never let it out not even for a moment, never speak of it to any one, and never trust it.

Also, you have to believe that you and you alone have the right to know the facts.

That's the world we live in. Distortion, equivocation and lies, big lies and statistics. Government statistics.

Now we know it and long may that continue through the publishing of Wickileaks.

America is using every dirty trick in the book to bring down the Publisher by any means.

The truth about him will be distorted to match their agenda of stopping the leaks. If thy get away with it he'll have his very own Guantanamo, guard dogs, photos and hoods.

And remember this; the governments have fed the media with lies, propagandist lies. Wickipedia arrives and publishes the Govs. own memos, notes of understanding, memorandum. They don't deny it is true.

They can't deny it is true and yet they've told us the opposite for years.

The truth has been buried. What has and does appear in the Press is propaganda. Nothing else.

Now we have one free voice singing a different song.

Long may it continue. But at least we all know now not to believe but to question what we are told by Government.

From yesterday evening:

Can still access Wikileaks from Thailand – now hosted from Sweden - http://cablegate.wikileaks.org/

Secret US Embassy Cables

Translations

[pt_br] Cablegate: Telegramas das embaixadas

[fr] Wikileaks entame la publication de câbles diplomatiques US confidentiels

[ru] WIKILEAKS приступил к публикации секретных писем американских посольств

[es] Wikileaks empieza a publicar cables diplomáticos de la embajada de estados unidos

[ar] موقع ويكيليكس يبدأ باطلاق مخاطبات سرية للسفارات الامريكية

Wikileaks began on Sunday November 28th publishing 251,287 leaked United States embassy cables, the largest set of confidential documents ever to be released into the public domain. The documents will give people around the world an unprecedented insight into US Government foreign activities.

The cables, which date from 1966 up until the end of February this year, contain confidential communications between 274 embassies in countries throughout the world and the State Department in Washington DC. 15,652 of the cables are classified Secret.

The embassy cables will be released in stages over the next few months. The subject matter of these cables is of such importance, and the geographical spread so broad, that to do otherwise would not do this material justice.

The cables show the extent of US spying on its allies and the UN; turning a blind eye to corruption and human rights abuse in "client states"; backroom deals with supposedly neutral countries; lobbying for US corporations; and the measures US diplomats take to advance those who have access to them.

This document release reveals the contradictions between the US’s public persona and what it says behind closed doors – and shows that if citizens in a democracy want their governments to reflect their wishes, they should ask to see what’s going on behind the scenes.

Every American schoolchild is taught that George Washington – the country’s first President – could not tell a lie. If the administrations of his successors lived up to the same principle, today’s document flood would be a mere embarrassment. Instead, the US Government has been warning governments -- even the most corrupt -- around the world about the coming leaks and is bracing itself for the exposures.

The full set consists of 251,287 documents, comprising 261,276,536 words (seven times the size of "The Iraq War Logs", the world's previously largest classified information release).

The cables cover from 28th December 1966 to 28th February 2010 and originate from 274 embassies, consulates and diplomatic missions.

Groups to contact for comment

How to explore the data

Search for events that you remember that happened for example in your country. You can browse by date or search for an origin near you.

Pick out interesting events and tell others about them. Use twitter, reddit, mail whatever suits your audience best.

For twitter or other social networking services please use the #cablegate or unique reference ID (e.g. #66BUENOSAIRES2481) as hash tags.

Key figures:

• 15, 652 secret
  • 101,748 confidential
  • 133,887 unclassified
  • Iraq most discussed country – 15,365 (Cables coming from Iraq – 6,677)
  • Ankara, Turkey had most cables coming from it – 7,918
  • From Secretary of State office - 8,017

According to the US State Departments labeling system, the most frequent subjects discussed are:

• External political relations – 145,451
  • Internal government affairs – 122,896
  • Human rights – 55,211
  • Economic Conditions – 49,044
  • Terrorists and terrorism – 28,801
  • UN security council – 6,532

Graphics of the cablegate dataset

Cables by origin and classification <LI>Cables by Subject <LI>Cables by Country <LI>Cables by Organization <LI>Cables by Program

Wikileals is the litmus test of whether freedom of information something people and countries believe in or merely pay lip service to. To date the reaction of most western governments has shown they pay lip service and are more facistic than democratic

There's also another IP address (88.80.2.32) that works/worked, albeit you only got to "Collateral Murder", without any link to "Cablegate".

Someone has "picked up the slack" as well: cablesearch.org offers full-text search of what's so far been released by WikiLeaks, something WikiLeaks itself is sorely missing. I presume the data used there comes from a .torrent link in WikiLeaks (2nd-last line of the Cablegate main page), where one can apparently download the entire contents.

clap2.gif

I find some of the editorials being written by Thai journalists in this case fascinating. When the Thai supreme court wants to stop the Youtube clips of questionable behavior, it is somehow terribly wrong and whistle blowing is OK. However, when wikileaks tries to expose corruption of all governments on a massive scale, suddenly it is intrusive to their privacy.

The "double standards" in journalism is truly enlightening.

Go for it guys. Hope you get your DNS services restored soon. All of us should at all times be ready for anything we do to be open to public scrutiny. If you aren't prepared to explain your statements or actions in public, then you shouldn't say/do them in the first place.

I'd like to know (as would the mighty US misgovernment) who is supplying all this information. I'd hazard a guess someone is looking at substantial jailtime.

I find some of the editorials being written by Thai journalists in this case fascinating. When the Thai supreme court wants to stop the Youtube clips of questionable behavior, it is somehow terribly wrong and whistle blowing is OK. However, when wikileaks tries to expose corruption of all governments on a massive scale, suddenly it is intrusive to their privacy.

The "double standards" in journalism is truly enlightening.

Which Thai journalists do you exactly mean? Can you give some links where the opinion to both cases is that much different by the same journalist?

I'd like to know (as would the mighty US misgovernment) who is supplying all this information. I'd hazard a guess someone is looking at substantial jailtime.

I was thinking the same thing. Been no suggestions that the Security was breached by hackers, all fingers seem to be pointing to people inside with the security clearances who did Treason.

Mai Pen Rai, anyway next.

Actually, from http://wikileaks.info/,'>http://wikileaks.info/, other official domain names and mirrors are:

http://wikileaks.com - Points to Official Site [88.80.13.160]

http://wikileaks.net - Points to Official Site [88.80.13.160]

http://wikileaks.biz - Points to Official Site [88.80.13.160]

http://wikileaks.de - Points to Official Site [88.80.13.160]

http://wikileaks.eu - Points to Official Site [88.80.13.160]

http://wikileaks.fi - Points to Official Site [88.80.13.160]

http://wikileaks.mobi - Points to Official Site [88.80.13.160]

http://wikileaks.nl - Points to Official Site [88.80.13.160]

http://wikileaks.pl - Points to Official Site [88.80.13.160]

http://wikileaks.us - Points to Official Site [88.80.13.160]

http://ljsf.org - Points to Official Site [88.80.13.160]

Real mirrors on different IP Addresses

http://wikileaks.info - Mirror hosted in Switzerland [62.2.16.94]

http://wikileaks.se - Mirror hosted in Sweden [88.80.6.179]

http://nyud.net - Mirror hosted in the United States [129.170.214.192]

Edited by huma79

I was thinking the same thing. Been no suggestions that the Security was breached by hackers, all fingers seem to be pointing to people inside with the security clearances who did Treason.

dead people can't be sent to prison...

I'd guess the traitor is either already dead and published the cables from his grave, i.e. through a will or through a keep-alive mail service, or the traitor is terminally ill and will die soon and doesn't care anymore.

I'd guess the traitor is either already dead and published the cables from his grave, i.e. through a will or through a keep-alive mail service, or the traitor is terminally ill and will die soon and doesn't care anymore.

The huge state department communications leak was apparently a 22 yo insider with security clearance. Not very high ranking int he US military but high enough to download and release a whole bunch of data. He's clearly looking at a very long jail time, lucky for him they closed gitmo.

I think it's really interesting - it just takes one person with courage and a sense of ethics to release this huge amount of data.

Now the government can try to crack down on this kind of stuff or do the right thing - stop the ridiculous scheming behind everyone's back! How about an ethical government for a change? Speaking of the US government of course - most others are unfortunately even worse, and you know they're not going to change in a million years.

Shine the bright light of truth, WikiLeaks!

We have all we need to know from Wickileaks.

You can't believe government - any government. The world is rotten to the core; our politicians are inveterate liars; the truth is more damaging than any bomb. Hence, you have to hide it, deny it as such, never let it out not even for a moment, never speak of it to any one, and never trust it.

Also, you have to believe that you and you alone have the right to know the facts.

That's the world we live in. Distortion, equivocation and lies, big lies and statistics. Government statistics.

Now we know it and long may that continue through the publishing of Wickileaks.

America is using every dirty trick in the book to bring down the Publisher by any means.

The truth about him will be distorted to match their agenda of stopping the leaks. If thy get away with it he'll have his very own Guantanamo, guard dogs, photos and hoods.

And remember this; the governments have fed the media with lies, propagandist lies. Wickipedia arrives and publishes the Govs. own memos, notes of understanding, memorandum. They don't deny it is true.

They can't deny it is true and yet they've told us the opposite for years.

The truth has been buried. What has and does appear in the Press is propaganda. Nothing else.

Now we have one free voice singing a different song.

Long may it continue. But at least we all know now not to believe but to question what we are told by Government.

Well said and it's the cold truth about MOST Governments, not just the USA or CHINA...

as an example:

In my own country, one of the most populated countries in the world, ALL successive Governments have been lying for DECADES to the people, telling them there were NO Nuclear Weapons on our soil...Nuclear Weapaons, a Chique word for ATOMIC BOMBS.

Well...let me tell you; THERE ARE MANY ATOMIC BOMBS ON OUR SOIL; put there by the US ! :annoyed:

Tell me, you apologists and allowing your governments to cheat and lie upon you, living in Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, or Bangkok.....shall I ask my government to move them and put them in YOUR backyard?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Interesting that this US State Dept info which is revealing secrets and discussions regarding heads of state, diplomats, VIPs, rich individuals, etc., seems to be causing much more grief/problems for WikiLeaks than the US Defense Dept info/secrets released several months ago. I guess heads of state, diplomats, VIPs, rich folks, etc., have more more pull/capability in "trying" to silent WikiLeaks than the Defense Dept.

6.47 pm Thailand time

Latest press release from the White House!

We anticipate the release of what are claimed to be several hundred thousand classified State department cables on Sunday night that detail private diplomatic discussions with foreign governments. By its very nature, field reporting to Washington is candid and often incomplete information. It is not an expression of policy, nor does it always shape final policy decisions. Nevertheless, these cables could compromise private discussions with foreign governments and opposition leaders, and when the substance of private conversations is printed on the front pages of newspapers across the world, it can deeply impact not only US foreign policy interests, but those of our allies and friends around the world. To be clear - such disclosures put at risk our diplomats, intelligence professionals, and people around the world who come to the United States for assistance in promoting democracy and open government. These documents also may include named individuals who in many cases live and work under oppressive regimes and who are trying to create more open and free societies. President Obama supports responsible, accountable, and open government at home and around the world, but this reckless and dangerous action runs counter to that goal. By releasing stolen and classified documents, Wikileaks has put at risk not only the cause of human rights but also the lives and work of these individuals. We condemn in the strongest terms the unauthorized disclosure of classified documents and sensitive national security information.

The traitors are our governments, now being exposed.

LaoPo

The Democratic chairman of the Senate foreign relations committee, John Kerry, rejects comparisons with the leak of the Pentagon papers during the Vietnam war.

This is not an academic exercise about freedom of information and it is not akin to the release of the Pentagon Papers, which involved an analysis aimed at saving American lives and exposing government deception. Instead, these sensitive cables contain candid assessments and analysis of ongoing matters and they should remain confidential to protect the ability of the government to conduct lawful business with the private candor that's vital to effective diplomacy.

WikiLeaks cables: Live Q&A with Julian Assange

The founder of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange, will be live online from 1pm today to answer readers' questions about the release of more than 250,000 US diplomatic cables

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is at the centre of intense media speculation and a hate campaign against him in America, following the leak of 250,000 US diplomatic cables.

He will be live online to answer Guardian readers' questions at 1pm today, subject to his access to an internet connection - which is very much a live issue. His online interview comes at the end of a week of shocking revelations from the cables and on a day when WikiLeaks has been fighting US attempts to take its website down.

Assange will answer your questions in the comments section below. From 1pm you will need to navigate to the latest comments for his replies.

Read more about the release of the US embassy cables

http://www.guardian....-assange-online

LaoPo

Ouch....

Time to clean house on torture

As Wikileaks reveals how the US has covered the CIA's dirty tracks, the Obama administration must hold officials to account

from the link, above.

If we realize that WikiLeaks released only some 2 to 3.000 documents out of the 251.000...we only can wonder what's last....

The hunt by secret services for Assange will only result in publication by UNCONTROLLED exposure by many people around the world who have downloaded the encrypted files already; more than 10.000 times so far but every second, minute more people are downloading those encrypted files.

I really hope the police and secret agencies cool down and do nothing they will regret afterwards.

LaoPo

Wikileaks should not be allowed in Thailand. Try google "wikileaks thailand" and you will know why. I hope ICT shut it down forever.

Perhaps that is not the only thing that they should shut down! Keep burying your head and the sand and believe all the hype you get from your Gov after-al they always tell you the truth right? And you can always trust them!

EveryDNS.net said WikiLeaks violated the provision which states that "Member shall not interfere with another Member's use and enjoyment of the Service or another entity's use and enjoyment of similar services."

And how exactly is being a victim of a ddos attack "interfering" with other members?

Wish I used them then I could boycott them!

Allegations against Julian Assange.

http://www.zerohedge...-without-condom

http://www.123people.com/ext/frm?ti=personensuche%20telefonbuch&search_term=claes%20borgstrom&search_country=US&st=suche%20nach%20personen&target_url=http%3A%2F%2Fliberalconspiracy.org%2F2010%2F12%2F02%2Fno-wikileakss-julian-assange-isnt-accused-of-rape%2F&section=blog&wrt_id=262

Interpol has issued an arrest warrant for Wikileaks founder Julian Assange for "sex crimes".

Everyone assumed it was for rape.

But it turns out it was for violating an obscure Swedish law against having sex without a condom.

As Newsweek wrote in August:

A Swedish lawyer representing two women whose allegations triggered a sexual-misconduct investigation of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has given [Newsweek column] Declassified the first on-the-record confirmation of the allegations that led to the issuance—and then rapid cancellation—of a warrant on a rape charge and to a parallel investigation into alleged "molestation." Claes Borgstrom of the Stockholm law firm Borgstrom and Bostrom, who is representing two women who said they had sexual relationships with Assange, said his clients complained to the police of Assange's reluctance to use condoms and unwillingness to be tested for sexually transmitted disease.

Borgstrom said that specific details about the the allegations had not yet appeared in Swedish media. But he acknowledged that the principal concern the women had about Assange's behavior—which they reported to police in person—related to his lack of interest in using condoms and his refusal to undergo testing, at the women's request, for sexually transmitted disease. A detailed, chronological account of the women's alleged encounters with Assange—which in both cases began with consensual sexual contact but later included what the women claimed was nonconsensual sex, in which Assange didn't use a condom—was published on Tuesday by
; a
included a more explicit reference than
The Guardian
to Assange's declining to submit to medical tests.

Borgstrom is a Social democratic politician/lawyer

Edited by KhunAussie52