WikiLeaks website again offline after company cuts DNS service

News_Editor

A quick google of the wikileaks DdOS shows that the attacks are being traced to Russia. Interesting.

However, the key item in this thread is that the removal of wiki from the servers is due to the fact that Wiki is distributing information gained by illegal means, breaching privacy laws. It's as simple as that. No conspiracy, no plot. If the info had been obtained legally, Wiki would have complied with the terms of service agreements and still be up on those servers.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://edition.cnn.c...ileaks.assange/

Set up...........or did he let his guard down?

It's "old" news and doesn't matter now anymore. One (Lady) prosecutor got Assange off the hook in August since there was no evidence whatsoever but another one took the case -again- and re-started the assault case.

It was concluded there was no rape and the charges aren't also about rape but downgraded to "sexual assault" because of the use or not of a condom or broken condom.

It looks like the 2 ladies involved, who adored Assange at first, were kind of disappointed in him and decided to go to the police.....AFTER they "sonsumed" consensual sex with Assange.

The rest is history but the case stinks immensely, blown up to absurd proprotions and that's surprising because it's by the Swedes, normally a very tolerant, liberal and democratic country.

We'll see.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

A quick google of the wikileaks DdOS shows that the attacks are being traced to Russia. Interesting.

However, the key item in this thread is that the removal of wiki from the servers is due to the fact that Wiki is distributing information gained by illegal means, breaching privacy laws. It's as simple as that. No conspiracy, no plot. If the info had been obtained legally, Wiki would have complied with the terms of service agreements and still be up on those servers.

Incorrect; the serving companies had to decide to remove the hosting services from WikiLeaks because of the immense attacks and traffic causing them enormous trouble for the many thousands of other clients/companies they were/are hosting.

I didn't read anything about your allegations but maybe you can give me a link where I can read the same?

LaoPo

WikiLeaks cables: Live Q&A with Julian Assange

The founder of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange, will be live online from 1pm today to answer readers' questions about the release of more than 250,000 US diplomatic cables

LaoPo

Julian Assange answers your questions:

Posted on Friday 3 December 2010 13.45 GMT

Fwoggie

I'll start the ball rolling with a question. You're an Australian passport holder - would you want return to your own country or is this now out of the question due to potentially being arrested on arrival for releasing cables relating to Australian diplomats and polices?

Julian Assange

I am an Australian citizen and I miss my country a great deal. However, during the last weeks the Australian prime minister, Julia Gillard, and the attorney general, Robert McClelland, have made it clear that not only is my return is impossible but that they are actively working to assist the United States government in its attacks on myself and our people. This brings into question what does it mean to be an Australian citizen - does that mean anything at all? Or are we all to be treated like David Hicks at the first possible opportunity merely so that Australian politicians and diplomats can be invited to the best US embassy cocktail parties.

Continues here at Guardian.co.uk:

http://www.guardian....sange-wikileaks

LaoPo

So far it seems pretty easy to access Wikileaks from Thailand. The two documents released so far regarding Thailand are fairly benign. Russia will be a bit pissed, and the Thai court system took a bit of a beating, but as long as no powerful Thais go down in flames, not a big problem. But there are whole bunch more documents waiting in the starting gate. I can hardly wait to see the stuff about Thaksin. Although I am getting a sinking feeling that there will be in instant shutdown of Wikileaks if actual stuff starts coming out that make Thailand look bad.....

Incorrect; the serving companies had to decide to remove the hosting services from WikiLeaks because of the immense attacks and traffic causing them enormous trouble for the many thousands of other clients/companies they were/are hosting.

I didn't read anything about your allegations but maybe you can give me a link where I can read the same?

LaoPo

I think it was Amazon that dropped wikileaks because of the "illegal" documents. EveryDNS stopped providing DNS support because of the DDOS attacks and the effect these might have on their other customers.

When do we get to see the 'wikileaks money trail on wikileaks itself. The above article says they are appealing for donations to keep it all going. The guy who downloaded the cables in the first place is now facing a lengthy jail term, Julian Assange will have a 'Western Fatwa' over his head for many years, so what was in it for them? Presumably the newspapers have paid lots of money to get exclusive release of the juicy bits, what I want to know is...where has all the money gone.

Wikileaks should not be allowed in Thailand. Try google "wikileaks thailand" and you will know why. I hope ICT shut it down forever.

I wish ICT shut this website down forever for the thing / clip they post about Thailand.

Piengrudee obviously doesn't believe in the concept of openness in Government then . . . I find it interesting that the enlightened few wish for more openness and transparency in all aspects of life, business and Government, whilst others would prefer to keep their heads firmly embedded in the sand and believe only what they are spoonfed by the "approved" Government propaganda outlets. Keep going WikiLeaks, I think you are doing a great job exposing scandals, corruption and outright lies.

Edited by Tatsujin

Openness in Government? If information fall in the hand of the uneducated, it could cause problem. That is why I think government should be selected, not elected. So only most abled and respected govern, not those who have the money to buy the most vote.

Openness in Government? If information fall in the hand of the uneducated, it could cause problem. That is why I think government should be selected, not elected. So only most abled and respected govern, not those who have the money to buy the most vote.

Maybe the time is right for the uneducated to become informed.

Wikileaks is doing a great job!!!!

Wikileaks should not be allowed in Thailand. Try google "wikileaks thailand" and you will know why. I hope ICT shut it down forever.

Most of us are very fond of your country, Piengrudee, but that is mostly due to it's people. Not it's government, which is a serious laggard in human rights.

Your desperate pleas to join you in putting our heads in the sand are to no avail.

The people need to be respected, not the "institutions". :wai:

Once Wikileaks published material that has put peoples lives in to immediate danges (such as names of Afghan nationals who have given information to NATO) I stopped supporting them.

Agreed, once Julian Assange put his agenda above the the safety of other people he became as bad as the governments he is trying expose.

Selected -- by whom? While democracy is a bit like unleaded fuel (does the job, major negative side effects), one has yet to find a better alternative... unfortunately. Human beans just don't seem to be capable of sticking with honesty & good intentions & unselfishness once they climb one step up on the power ladder (don't even start to think about two or more steps...). Yes, there are the "good ones", few and far between. But once they are in a position where they could accomplish something that's really to the benefit of their constituency, they get flack & broadsides no end from an endless list of adversaries who see their own power games, positions and profits in danger.

Agreed, Wikileaks directly or indirectly gives "the uneducated" access to information, which -- as a welcome change -- hasn't been pre-cooked & sliced & diced into bite-sized, easy-to-swallow "truths", as is the case with what governments tend to feed you, and infinitely more so with populists' marketing machines' output. "Uneducated" doesn't have anything to do with stupid or un-intelligent; it means having received the short end of the stick -- for X number of reasons I can think of, up to and including govt's wanting to keep their underlings' knowledge level at soap-opera grade.

While no-one will dispute the fact that education is a good thing, it also comes with dangers. If said-same education is spotty and/or hasn't done anything to make people actually THINK by themselves and be[come] open-minded, it's all too easy that these "educated people" digest raw information in their own, maybe somewhat skewed, way and pass the results on to the uneducated...

Congratulations on your education. You were blessed with the longer end of the stick, and may even write your posts on an iPhone.

Once Wikileaks published material that has put peoples lives in to immediate danges (such as names of Afghan nationals who have given information to NATO) I stopped supporting them.

Agreed, once Julian Assange put his agenda above the the safety of other people he became as bad as the governments he is trying expose.

That is a propaganda lie, told by those who don't wanna their war crimes exposed by wikileaks.

Amazon cuts off WikiLeaks

WikiLeaks no longer has a home at Amazon.

The controversial site, which has roused the ire of the U.S. government for leaking classified information, is no longer being hosted by Amazon's Web servers as of yesterday.

WikiLeaks had been tapping into Amazon's EC2, or Elastic Cloud Computing service--including earlier this week. WikiLeaks said yesterday it's now being hosted by servers in Europe, according to Reuters.

news.cnet

That is a propaganda lie, told by those who don't wanna their war crimes exposed by wikileaks.

Taken from Wikileaks website-

"We derive these principles from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. In particular, Article 19 inspires the work of our journalists and other volunteers. It states that everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers. We agree, and we seek to uphold this and the other Articles of the Declaration."

http://213.251.145.96/about.html

There is no evidence to support that at all. The leaks this year have all been fairly heavily censored to ensure that nobody has been endangered. As recently as this week even the Pentagon agreed that nobody had been hurt and there was no evidence of any reckless endangerment to date.

Unlike the poor villagers and schools in Pakistan that have suffered a Predator attack - and there have been more than a few.

yes just like the american armed forces who left lists of thousands of Vietnamese informants behind when they left Vietnam in kind of a hurry - some made it out - many where imprisoned and executed!

The state department used the same phony exuse last time - Not a single name of any informants have been published by Wikileaks all the files have been searched for names which have been replaced by XXXXXX

exactly - Interpol should be after Bush, Cheney and Co. - the real criminals - not the people who expose them!

my dear , you don't seem to know much about the internet and servers - the ICT is just a tax payers money wasting enterprise.

They can not "shut down" anything - they can not even block a website. And if you don't like the flow of free information just don't participate - nobody "forces" you to read or watch anything - but the people who want to access information from different sources and get a different perspective should be able to do so!

The only way your ICT could deprive one of the information one seeks is by shutting down the internet ( and even there would be a way around it today) - and I would love to see the reaction of businesses and the stock market to that!

Long live the free flow of information!

Wikileaks is changing the world forever! Soon there will be others and people betrayed by the cheating, lying scoundrels called politicians will blow the whistle more and more!

What a sad, repressed, frustrated and obtuse young woman you must be.

Sorry for you, as it seems by your posts that you are missing out a great deal in your life.

Julian Assange..........his words!

Universal Declaration of Human Rights. In particular, Article 19 inspires the work of our journalists and other volunteers. It states that everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers. We agree, and we seek to uphold this and the other Articles of the Declaration.

The great American president Thomas Jefferson once observed that the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. We believe the journalistic media plays a key role in this vigilance.

In its landmark ruling on the Pentagon Papers, the US Supreme Court ruled that "only a free and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government." We agree.

Woops,forgot the source :jap:

http://213.251.145.96/about.html

Edited by KhunAussie52