Din Tai Fung

Goinghomesoon

Before the red-shirt rallies I saw a sign at CentralWorld saying that Taiwan's DinTaiFung would be opening up a restaurant there. Has anyone heard what's happened with those plans? I've searched the net and can't see anything recent. I'm having dumpling cravings again...

• 5 months later...

Well I chose to go there today for my Mothers Day lunch. It was somewhat different to the DTF experience in Taiwan. Like the original you are handed an order form and fill it in while you wait outside until a table becomes available. Several items on the menu were crossed out and no available, including several of their dumpling varieties, which was disappointing. We arrived at 11:40am and they were just seating table #110. We were #130 and there were probably 40+ people milling around outside waiting. Based on our Taipei experience I would have expected to be seated quite quickly - the original restaurant works at a frenetic pace, the waiters fling steamers of dumplings onto your table as they hurry by, and you really are not permitted to linger once you have finished eating. That actually part of the DTF experience, which is not really a "restaurant" per se, but more of a cafeteria-type shophouse, with outstanding food.

This restaurant does have the kitchen viewable from all sides through glass windows, so we were able to entertain ourselves for a while watching them create dumplings. Everyone wearing masks and cleaning the place regularly and it did look very hygenic.

So after 30 minutes we got seated. By then they had people in the high #160's waiting outside for tables. When we got inside we realised that the restaurant is not fully open yet and they have a section of 30 tables roped off that they are not using yet. That might have explained the long delay in getting a table.

The waitress had logged in our order of food as soon as we were seated and our drinks arrived quickly. We then waited....and waited....and waited....for our dumplings. First up was xiao long bao (THB195 for 10) for which DTF in Taiwan are famous. They looked delicious and smelled great. Compared to most Thai dimsum places these were also a big decent size. The table was set with vinegar and soy sauces, plenty of chopped ginger and chili in oil for dipping. I've got to say they were very yummy with lots of juice inside the little package. The only problem was being seated under an airconditioning vent, the dumplings quickly cooled, but we were so hungry we didn't care and scarfed most before they become too cold.

Our second steamer arrived with pork and shrimp steamed dumplings (THB225 for 10). Once again these were big - probably double what you normally get in Bangkok restaurants,. However I felt they hadn't been cooked quite long enough. They were just not as hot/steamy as the earlier bunch and were a bit bland to my taste. I probably wouldn't order these again next time, they were a nice filler but nothing special.

The third tray was vegetarian dumplings (THB235 for 10). These were always my favourite in Taipei and they were fantastic today. Very hot and steamy with the bright green vegie and garlic mix was perfectly cooked inside but not soggy.

The service was not what I expected- lots of waiters running around aimlessly with piles of steamer baskets because they hadn't memorised the table numbers yet. There were a couple of quite stressed floor managers double checking that each table had gotten the correct delivery, and ticking things off our list.

Combined with two softdrinks our lunch was THB853 inc VAT and 10% surchage. Not a cheap lunch but not super expensive either and the majority of the food was really excellent. This will make a nice addition to the family favourites I think. Well to MY favourites, at least!

I expect on a weekday and after its been open for a while it won't be so insane? But sounds great, will definitely give it a try based on your review (and avoid the aircon vents if possible!)

• 5 weeks later...

DTF was a family staple of ours living in Singapore. We have young kids that LOVE dumplings.

Thought we would try it for lunch on Tue this week. Arrived at 12:10, estimated 30 minute wait, staff still setting tables (they told us they only open at 12?) and as the previous poster says half the restaurant is roped off.

800+ baht to wait 30 mins with kids is unacceptable to me, there are lots of other great places to eat in CW that seem to need the custom more than DTF so off we went.

Let's see what happens in 6 months when they are begging people to eat there. The good days won't go on forever, just ask the franchisee of Krispy Kreme, they don't seem to need the queuing system anymore!!