Starting Up A Company And Getting Work Permit

sinkorswim

i have been living here full time now for the last 3 months and am now finally ready to start working. i do want to do everything legally so am looking to start up my company and obtain a work permit.

can anyone please recommend a good accountant or lawyer to sort this out for me and does anyone have any idea of the estimated set up and running costs associated with the company and work permit per month.

I am aware that i do have to have 4 registered employees and pay tax on there earnings. (minumim wage)

any help greatly appreciated.

I originally used a lawfirm called "29 Tanin Co., Ltd" based on a recommendation and I was extremely disappointed. After no results in a six week period (they also charge for consultation) I changed to "Knight Legal Group" on the super highway around Chiang Mai Land. They are excellent and work quickly and accurately (consultation is free). They also have an affiliate that does taxes. They can register your corporation as well as handle your work permit. The cost depends on the capital. If you register one million baht its about 27,000 and an additional 7,000 more for each million more registered. Depending on where you are from you must pay yourself the required salary or at least pay the tax on the required salary. The highest is 60,000 per month for American or Japanese nationals.

I used the services of Sunbelt Chiangmai, which was all to my satisfaction.

They are Farangs working for Farangs but of course with Thai laywers.

In my personal experience, it is a good idea to work with a "Farang" company, since a "pure" Thai-company seems to take care of Thai interests only.

(Once I tried a Thai laywer company, and here was their trick:

First to make the contract in Thai, and then the make the translation also. OK, but something was smelling, so before signing, I took the Thai contract and got out from his office (to his loud protest) and went to a Thai friend, and asked him to look into the contract. And BEHOLD, the Thai and the English version had DIFFERENT meanings all the way. So I went to a good translation office and made a new Thai version out from the English translation I got, and delivered that one back to the laywer office for signature. I was looking at the lawyer very carefully, and his face and ego got smaller and smaller. He new I tricked him back, but could not say anything, fearing of loosing his face. I have to admit, I really loved that situation, a Thai frying in his own fat, so to speak. )

Anyway,,

Sunbelt’s new premises are at 179 Mahidol Road (opposite Niyom Phanich) and reached through 0 5328 3845 (Phone) or 0 5328 3873 (Fax).

www.sunbeltchiangmai.com

Eddie.