Camera Prices In Thailand. What Can We Do?

TheScribe

Anyone know anything about Zoom Camera in Seacon Square - grey imports? I've been looking to buy a Nikon D3100 with the standard 18-55mm lens and possibly an additional 55-200mm and the best price I've seen in Pattaya comes to about 31000 Baht, with Big Camera asking 38k. Zoom Camera have the D3100 with the same 2 lenses offered as a package on their website for 26500 Baht. Sounds almost too good to be true.

Anyone know anything about Zoom Camera in Seacon Square - grey imports? I've been looking to buy a Nikon D3100 with the standard 18-55mm lens and possibly an additional 55-200mm and the best price I've seen in Pattaya comes to about 31000 Baht, with Big Camera asking 38k. Zoom Camera have the D3100 with the same 2 lenses offered as a package on their website for 26500 Baht. Sounds almost too good to be true.

Just got an LX5, card and a fantastic National Geographic sling from them, via post. No problems.

Does look like a gray import, instructions are in English and Arabic.

Just got an LX5, card and a fantastic National Geographic sling from them, via post. No problems.

Does look like a gray import, instructions are in English and Arabic.

Thanks. How long for delivery and were you able to pay using a card or was it necessary to pay up front with a bank transfer?

Thanks. How long for delivery and were you able to pay using a card or was it necessary to pay up front with a bank transfer?

This is where it gets mental. A Thai friend did it all for me, had to go to the bank twice to make a deposit then final payment. Overall process took about three weeks!

Best to call them, see if they have the stock and go down there with cash.

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post. Just pick out the relevant points, please - Astral

This is where it gets mental. A Thai friend did it all for me, had to go to the bank twice to make a deposit then final payment. Overall process took about three weeks!

Best to call them, see if they have the stock and go down there with cash.

Had a nasty feeling you might say something like that - looks like a trip to Bangkok may be on the cards unless my local supplier fancies matching the price! I did see an option for a live e-chat with them on the website so I might give that a go to check on stock first. (And to make sure the price isn't a misprint! )

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post. Just pick out the relevant points, please - Astral

Had a nasty feeling you might say something like that - looks like a trip to Bangkok may be on the cards unless my local supplier fancies matching the price! I did see an option for a live e-chat with them on the website so I might give that a go to check on stock first. (And to make sure the price isn't a misprint! )

I may join you, looking for those Lumix LX5 bits and pieces and a Benro Combo tripod. May as well just get on the bus.

Edited by astral

I may join you, looking for those Lumix LX5 bits and pieces and a Benro Combo tripod. May as well just get on the bus.

Sounds like it - Good luck!

@moneyshot

http://www.digilifet...and.com/ptshop/ seems to cary a limited selection of e.g. Panansonic, not all current models like the Lumix TZ 10. Only per inquiry?

You pay by credit card, i.e. you trust them?

Don't enjoy BKK , prefer a reliable mail order source, you mentioned other options, can you name them?

These people seem to have outlets all over the place. Mail order.

Digital 2 Home

Here's some more . . .

iPhoto

Camera 2 You

Zoom Camera

Camera Station

EC Mall

Bask1

Seed Camera

I've only ever bought from Zoom Camera and had no issues.

These are classified ads.

Camera 2 Hand

Edited by MJP

@moneyshot

http://www.digilifet...and.com/ptshop/ seems to cary a limited selection of e.g. Panansonic, not all current models like the Lumix TZ 10. Only per inquiry?

You pay by credit card, i.e. you trust them?

Don't enjoy BKK , prefer a reliable mail order source, you mentioned other options, can you name them?

I've only ever bought directly from their shops in Pantip Plaza. Give them a call, they are usually pretty helpful;)

Would I pay by credit card and have the goods posted... After making a few purchases with them to date - yes I would trust them.

Zoom camera seems good too.

Also always ask for a discount, with some items they will take a little extra off although not with point and shoots as the markup is small.

Everyone to his taste, having a Leica for 430.000THB doesn't make you better photographer.

It is the pure joy of possession which I understand fully.

This one caught my attention=

couple of hours old announcement for the International CES http://goo.gl/uC0dT

by Fuji HS20EXR

http://goo.gl/Gp8P2

16mm pixel density that is better than Canon G12 plus tilting LCD, 24-720mm

everything sounds almost too good to be true.

Everyone to his taste, having a Leica for 430.000THB doesn't make you better photographer.

It is the pure joy of possession which I understand fully.

This one caught my attention=

couple of hours old announcement for the International CES http://goo.gl/uC0dT

by Fuji HS20EXR

http://goo.gl/Gp8P2

16mm pixel density that is better than Canon G12 plus tilting LCD, 24-720mm

everything sounds almost too good to be true.

It is indeed too good to be true, I got carried away , it has a total of 16MM pixel not pixel density.

Still a great find. I sent the link to a friend who has the Fujifilm SD1000 (not a great camera), recommending this as an upgrade, a do-it-all.

These superzooms are really coming on and it won't be long until the manufacturers can get a much bigger sensor in them, APS-C size would be good.

• 3 months later...

Article in the South China Morning Post yesterday about the rising camera gear prices in Hong Kong. Since the earthquake, prices in HK have gone up 10% with most retailers now charging at least MSRP. I imagine the situation in Thailand will be similar going forward.

• 7 months later...

Hello Moneyshot (& everybody on this thread),

Thank you Moneyshot for the info regarding Digilife store. I just got a very good deal with my just acquired Tokina 11-16/ f2.8 lens. The price is less by 1,000THB compared to other equally famous stores in Pantip & MBK.

Btw, be careful with one guy in AV Center in pantip 3rd floor. He is rude when not in a mood. When you asked him a price of a certain item and he replied what amount you like, better ignore him and ask somebody else. Because in a " Rabid Dog" manner he will tell you to buy in the store that you told him. I am certain on that event 'cuz he did that with a European couple last year when he was assigned in Photovision (4th flr Pantip). That event coincided when I was buying EOS 7D @ Photovision. It was good that his colleague Mark was the one who attended to me. Better look for mark now assigned in Camera & Lens store in pantip.

I am quite upset because he knows that I am a regular customer of their chain of stores. I bought my 7D, grip, filters and 2 lenses in their stores and accompanied some Thai colleagues there who prefer Fortune than pantip. I think the owner should venture in a croc farm to have a proper place for this entity if they don't want to kick him out.

thanks.