Buying Furniture In Bangkok Is Tough!

shammer

Why is it so tough to find some decent (OK looking/Modern/reasonable price) furniture in Bangkok?

There is for some weird reason no IKEA here? Why not? and the Habitat is overpriced and the staff is totally ignorant..... Can anyone PLEASE help me find some furniture IKEA/Habitat style somewhere in Bangkok, preferable a place with a website soI can SHOP- PAY - and they deliver. Spending money is so HARD!

P.S.

I actually went to habitat at Siam Square but the habitat staff told me that since I wanted so many different things :o I should go to their website instead an do the order on-line.... tried that. no luck. Simply cant believe it :D

Am I really the only one with this issue?

Cheers

S

P.S. Great business opportunity.... open the very first IKEA in Thailand!

Yes where oh where?

Sadly I think that HABITAT is the only place to find style at a low price.

Have got many things there and always Ok to me usually fall over me to sell stuff. Everything worked out just a-ok.

Why is there no IKEA here?

They do offer franchise, albeit you would need 1,000,000's. :o

Only INDEX -yech! :D

Edited by slapdashkitty

That's why Thailand is the hub of custom made furniture :D

I have the same problem. Your only solution ? have them built for like 400,000 baht or even 1,000,000 and you would have beautiful furniture

import tax are so high that such a business is not viable

IKEA is not about to come here :o

I have the same problem. Your only solution ? have them built for like 400,000 baht or even 1,000,000 and you would have beautiful furniture

You have to pay a million Baht to get a quality furniture around here?? :o

Yep

You can spend as little as 100k but usual rates for a full home is about 1m

but did I mention they are beautiful ? :D

(they better be)

For a million Bath - you'd get the whole house done....

You didn't mention what you were looking for... a million may or may not be close to the mark depending on how much you need.

There's a place in Bangkok called 'Bang Pho' where the factories/shops are that build furniture - We had our whole house done for about 600,000.

Many of the shops have built (but unfinished) chairs, tables, beds etc - you can buy them & choose what kind of finish you want.

To put price into perspective - on a recent shopping trip there, I got a king-size teak bed for 16,000 Baht. Teak Bedside drawer units for 3,800 Baht, Teak coffee table for 6,000 Baht. These prices are no more than Index & this stuff will last much longer. No MDF, no self assembly, no falling apart after 5 years.

Personally, I'd recommend a shop there called 'Tai Seng' their stuff is top notch.

I am finding it difficult to find good and practical furniture here too. I miss IKEA.

HomeWorks has a wood center inside and they build anything using rubber wood. Price is really resonable.

INDEX, CONCETPhttp://www.mappointasia.com/webpages/cgi/MPAonline.cgi?rdo_form=41943&D=23002&language=

You didn't mention what you were looking for... a million may or may not be close to the mark depending on how much you need.

There's a place in Bangkok called 'Bang Pho' where the factories/shops are that build furniture -  We had our whole house done for about 600,000.

Many of the shops have built (but unfinished) chairs, tables, beds etc - you can buy them & choose what kind of finish you want.

To put price into perspective - on a recent shopping trip there, I got a king-size teak bed for 16,000 Baht. Teak Bedside drawer units for 3,800 Baht, Teak coffee table for 6,000 Baht. These prices are no more than Index & this stuff will last much longer. No MDF, no self assembly, no falling apart after 5 years.

Personally, I'd recommend a shop there called 'Tai Seng' their stuff is top notch.

There's a place in Bangkok called 'Bang Pho' where the factories/shops are that build furniture - We had our whole house done for about 600,000.

i would second that recommendation , there is some good stuff to be had there , and the staff in all the shops were knowledgeable about wood and very helpful.

the tai seng shop was one of the best in that area.

there are some good flooring suppliers there , parquet and teak flooring for a song.

the emporium shopping centre has some good modern furniture and kitchen stores , ultra modern designs but pricey.

you can find well designed furniture at home pro? and/or homeworks? , their superstore out at bang khuntien has some good stuff and its priced well.

rough draw what you want in the way of fitted cupboards and wardrobes and ask a competent carpenter to design and construct them for you. there are some very skilled craftsmen around.

and as for ikea ..... lets hope that they never come here ....... bland boring stuff sold by a company with little regard for its customers. :o

Edited by taxexile

I am finding it difficult to find good and practical furniture here too. I miss IKEA.

HomeWorks has a wood center inside and they build anything using rubber wood. Price is really resonable.

INDEX, CONCETPhttp://www.mappointasia.com/webpages/cgi/MPAonline.cgi?rdo_form=41943&D=23002&language=

There's a place in Bangkok called 'Bang Pho' where the factories/shops are that build furniture -  We had our whole house done for about 600,000.

Try Soi Furniture. Not sure of the location, all the taxi's know it though,but there are some good deals for nice furniture there. Otherwise most of the custom made stuff come from Chang Mai. It is a real experience shopping for furniture there.

Why is it so tough to find some decent (OK looking/Modern/reasonable price) furniture in Bangkok?

There is for some weird reason no IKEA here? Why not? and the Habitat is overpriced and the staff is totally ignorant..... Can anyone PLEASE help me find some furniture IKEA/Habitat style somewhere in Bangkok, preferable a place with a website soI can SHOP- PAY - and they deliver. Spending money is so HARD!

P.S.

I actually went to habitat at Siam Square but the habitat staff told me that since I wanted so many different things  :o  I should go to their website instead an do the order on-line.... tried that. no luck. Simply cant believe it  :D

Am I really the only one with this issue?

Cheers

S

P.S. Great business opportunity.... open the very first IKEA in Thailand!

Try to visit one of the many HomePro centers around Bangkok. Lost of stuff there. The one at Ratchadapisek Rd is good. Same building as Carrefour.

Also, there are funiture exhibitions held once a year in Bangkok - good prices, and a large selection of furniture; both foreign and Thai made. Unfortunately, the next one in not until March. Check out http://www.thaitradefair.com/ for other interesting fairs as well.

Great. Directions please ? always looking for different places

I think this IS the place the locals call Soi Furniture. My wife says, hop in any taxi and ask for Soi Furniture. Is does sound like you are after a place like Index though. Their new range is in and it is very good. A lot is imported from Germany. We have a mixture in our houses, Chang Mai style ( they bring it to Surin during the elephant fair) Old Thai style from that place in BKK and modern stuff from Index.

We paid 500,000 baht for our house to have the furniture built in. That included Kitchen with cabinets, two living rooms worth, three queens sized beds, three bedroom furniture including morrors and auto lighting inside the wardrobes, ceiling inserts, all cornices inside the house and everything is in Teak.

Soi Prachanarumit, Bang Po.

With the subway: exit Bang Sue + a short taxi ride.

We paid 500,000 baht for our house to have the furniture built in. That included Kitchen with cabinets, two living rooms worth, three queens sized beds, three bedroom furniture including morrors and auto lighting inside the wardrobes, ceiling inserts, all cornices inside the house and everything is in Teak.

Nice. How long it's going to take you to finish that place ? you are not in Bangkok right ?

I was quoted 1m so far.

Nice. How long it's going to take you to finish that place ? you are not in Bangkok right ?

I was quoted 1m so far.

It is finished Butterfly and we have been in it about 8 months.

We are not in BKK, but the guy behind us paid 2m all up for his built ins and whilst it is a bit nicer I do not see the extra 1.5m worth. Having said that my wife told the chippy that we had a 300k budget, what can he do? I think he thought he might be able to up the price a bit by suggesting other changes as he went along. Quite a smart cookie my wife...

same pic, a couple of months later...

Shammer

I have seen some very nice modern furniture at an exhibition in Bangkok by a company called Marrow design. The stuff

I saw was very contemporary and in keeping with the latest designs and materials. I was very impressed. Although I do not claim to be an expert.

Address:

89/27 - 28 villa Sukhumvit 49

North Klongton, Wattana Bangkok 10110

Phone: 02 - 712 - 9484

e-mail: info@morrow-design,com

web: morrow-design.com

I have just tried their web-site, but it does seem to be down at present.

The top floor of MBK is certainly where you might find the odd piece of modern contemporary design.

I was so desparate that in the end I took small pieces of furniture in parts from the UK to Bangkok. I managed to get it all to Bangkok undamaged and free on Thai Airways.

If you are very desparate for IKEA, there is a store in Singapore. they might ship for you.

I live near Central Rama III, in the Mall is a small stand that sells IKEA bits and pieces at reasonable prices, but not big furniture.

Good luck

FRM-UK

Edited by FRM-UK

DecorMart on Thonglor is good. Ignore HomePro. Management are rude and stupid. Long story I won't bore you with, but AVOID  :o  :D

I have been shopping at several of their stores for the last 6 months (just bought a house) and have never had any probelms whatsoever. It can be difficult to find someone who speaks English, but otherwise I have had good products and excellent service. They installed hot water heaters for us last week (inclused in price of heaters), and did a top job in my opinion.

Next on my shopping list - 3 set of ceiling fans - and Homepro is still on my list of approved vendors.

Well it was my Thai wife who had the problem...we wanted to buy a lovely retro chair in the window marked down 50% and they insisted it had the wrong price on it! She argued with them for 3 hours :o , going all the way up the management chain to nearly the top, and no-one would admit that they legally had to sell it for what it was marked at. Indeed, they grew increasingly snide. Their logistics were a joke - no-one knew what price anythign was or when it had arrived.

In the end they said yes, they could, but the difference would have to come out of the salary of the salesgirl. It's an old blackmail technique I've seen in LoS before, but the salesgirl was in tears so we couldn't do it to her.

The most annoying thing was that the chair had been put up in price 10% from that marked just because oil prices had been floated; but that particular item had been delivered months earlier and was being sold as it was slightly scratched.

Again, I've seen this stupid strategy in LoS before (my costs go up, your costs go up - oops! I have no customers!) but had hoped people were learning....obviously not.

Glad you had a happier time but will still avoid.

Oh yeah, and we also wanted to have a fited kitchen to take advantage of high ceilings we have (their cabinets finish 30cm short, which a aste of space). We, the customers, were told this would "not be good" rather than given what we wanted.

Fortunately for both our sanities we always have rock-bottom expectations of anything to do with service in LoS, which keeps us both happy on the whole.

:D

Well it was my Thai wife who had the problem...we wanted to buy a lovely retro chair in the window marked down 50% and they insisted it had the wrong price on it! She argued with them for 3 hours 

Maybe they were right? And who in their right mind would spend 3 hours arguing over the price of a chair. :o Buy it or go somewhere else!

Fortunately for both our sanities we always have rock-bottom expectations of anything to do with service in LoS, which keeps us both happy on the whole.

I think that's why I am so easily satisfied. I always expect there to be trouble, so when things go as planned, I am overjoyed, and when they don't, it doesn't come as a surprise.... :D

You have to be a "cold-hearted" person in Thailand.... :D

Where is this place exactly? :o

its not the easiest area to find , its between the river and the bang sue railway station , close to the big bridge that takes the railway over the river , near a small wat called wat bang pho , one soi is called soi prarastdsai 24 , a lot of the sois round there are all wood and furniture stores.