Varee Hair Police

whatsupdoc

I have a kid that goes to school at Varee. Last month his teacher told him he had to get a haircut. I do not agree with the school interfering in matters that should be the parents concern but OK... so he had a haircut.

This week the boy was told he should have a haircut again. His hair is short by any standard (unless you happen to live in a temple or military boot camp) but it was even suggested he should go to a barber every week!!!

Varee appears to be modern on the outside (they have slick marketing to enhance this image) but I feel more and more that this is only the surface, underneath it is a typical Thai school with more emphasis on appearance than on content.

Makes we wonder of what world(s) they took the best ("Best of both Worlds" is their marketing slogan).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like one particular member of staff with a bee in his (or her) bonnet about hair. My son's hair gets to the point where it's uncomfortably hot for him (that's quite long) and then asks for a haircut and I routinely see a wide variety of styles and lengths there.

Yes, some schools still maintain the 'short, shorter, shortest' in hair cuts. I think that it is a good idea to have some standards for dress and hair, but in your case, my sense is that you will need to outlive the Hair Person :)

I think if you want to make an issue out of this, then find the parents' handbook or whatever document Waree has regarding uniforms and stuff. There should be something along the lines of "maximum 5 centimetres on the top, 3 on the sides and back". If your son's hair conforms to the regulations, you could get him, take along a ruler, and visit the head of section or class teacher or whoever you think the best person to talk to is in this case. If you just complain "it is not fair" or "but it is not too long", it may not work so effectively. If you decide not to do anything about it, however, in many schools it can easily happen that the teacher or head of section will just shave half his head one day. (I don't know if Waree does this sort of thing or not, as it invariably pisses off farang parents.)

I don't know why you are complaining at all. Just follow the rules. you should be grateful that you don't have a daughter. It is a pain in the rear to tie pig tails everyday. If you want your son to have long hair and do whatever he wants, then have him go to school in your own country.

The international section of the school allows longer hair. If and when they go into army conscription while at school hair has to be even shorter.

Varee is an educationally strict school, and I suppose this helps create a different kind of culture than exists in the UK. I have no doubt it makes them stronger people in the long run, just look at how our economies are doing relatively. A friend brought their children back from Singapore to the UK for this kind of reason, but education is the main reason I'm staying here.

I think if you want to make an issue out of this, then find the parents' handbook or whatever document Waree has regarding uniforms and stuff. There should be something along the lines of "maximum 5 centimetres on the top, 3 on the sides and back

I don't think that there is any such thing :o and i don't ever recall seeing one in England ;)

The international section of the school allows longer hair.

Where did you get this info from ?

If and when they go into army conscription while at school hair has to be even shorter.

Perhaps i'm being thick here, but how can you go into army conscription while at school ;)

Varee is an educationally strict school,

How have you determined this ;)

Hi alfieconn, if you want to be sure always do your own research, this is the result of mine.

Army conscription: It has to be applied for and a physical test is taken. The alternative is far more conscription later after school, I think it's a full time six months.

Except in the final couple of years Varee don't allow students who fail tests to continue, but they can retake a year.

Edited by johnsjourney

Hi alfieconn, if you want to be sure always do your own research, this is the result of mine.

Army conscription: It has to be applied for and a physical test is taken. The alternative is far more conscription later after school, I think it's a full time six months.

Except in the final couple of years Varee don't allow students who fail tests to continue, but they can retake a year.

Thanks for that but i don't have a clue what you are talking about and you havn't answered my 3 questions ;)

Perhaps you could pass me the link to where you done your research.

Edited by alfieconn

Thanks for that but i don't have a clue what you are talking about and you havn't answered my 3 questions ;)

Perhaps you could pass me the link to where you done your research.

Our children are at the school, and have been for many years. The real world is sometimes still a better source of information than the internet. I do not intend to convince you of anything, that is up to you.

whatsupdoc, have you been to the school to discuss with them ? if so what did they say ?

There is always a risk that doing so would have repercussions for the boy. Obviously not worth it, although my wife might still bring the matter to the attention of the school in a more subtle way than I would be able to do.

My main reason for posting the issue is to air my worry that Varee might not be the best school when you appreciate Western standards (contrary to the image they are trying to build). For those who can afford it I would definitely recommend to send your kid to an international school.

I do not like other people to tell me what I should do, especially when it concerns matters that I see as my own business. Posters who mentioned I shouldn't complain apparently do not have that problem.

[

There is always a risk that doing so would have repercussions for the boy. Obviously not worth it, although my wife might still bring the matter to the attention of the school in a more subtle way than I would be able to do.

I understand your concerns for your son so why not go and have an informal chat with one of the falang teachers to obtain some feedback and you wouldn't even need to tell him your sons name if you didn't want to.

My main reason for posting the issue is to air my worry that Varee might not be the best school when you appreciate Western standards (contrary to the image they are trying to build). For those who can afford it I would definitely recommend to send your kid to an international school.

I wouldn't imagine that any Thai school would be comparable with a private school in Enland for example and if anyone sent their child to a Thai school beliving this to be the case has either been mislead or is completely naive.

I chose Varee for my daughter in the belief that it is the best of the Thai schools in the area not in the belief that it is comparable with a western school.

Edited by alfieconn

A little odd to think that a requirement for short hair means the school "might not be the best school when you appreciate western standards", considering most private UK schools have a policy dictating short hair, as do some comprehensive schools (I am very aware of a very successful school in a deprived area in the UK that enforces certain hair lengths to encourage a formal approach to studies). 

If you have an issue with the policy, talk to the school. I'm sure they have people who would be willing to discuss the matter with you.

It would be good if more people will sue schools for all the BS what they allow teachers to do, painful physical punishment, confiscating mobile phones and other things, humiliating in front of the class etc. I hear some stories sometimes from a student at the Christian school near the Narawat bridge... Disgusting to hear what an idiots some power addicted teachers are.

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

"I do not like other people telling.........."

Here is your problem, case solved.

Whatever school you put your kid in, you are 90% sure they will not meet any international standard anyway.

Complaining about a haircut tells me more about you than the School.

In a couple years you will complain to the cop because your son does not have to follow the rules?

Actually they do give you a 'handbook for parents' at the beginning of the school year. If you make time to come to the meeting before school starts you will get one as well. They do write in their policy that boys should have short hair,period. Not only Thai schools require their male students to have a short clean haircut. Anyway, I also do not understand that you have to complain on TV about this. I find Varee to be a very open school and it is easy to talk to the director or teachers if you have any feedback. They do their best to keep us updated on everything ( take a look at their website, it looks great and fully updated ). Over the years I have noticed many changes at the school in response to parents' feedback.

Actually they do give you a 'handbook for parents' at the beginning of the school year. If you make time to come to the meeting before school starts you will get one as well.

I have always gone to all the meetings but never been given a handbook ;) but there again i am suppose to receive all the newsletters etc in English but that never happened either, though to be fair after complaining about 6 times i do now get them in English allbeit a few days later than the Thai version.

Edited by alfieconn

Actually they do give you a 'handbook for parents' at the beginning of the school year. If you make time to come to the meeting before school starts you will get one as well.

I have always gone to all the meetings but never been given a handbook ;) but there again i am suppose to receive all the newsletters etc in English but that never happened either, though to be fair after complaining about 6 times i do now get them in English allbeit a few days later than the Thai version.

The same at Monfort EP.

The same at Monfort EP.

The same as watchirawit also, at the start of the year they made a big thing out of the fact that each month a report would be sent home in English, Ive had 2 in 8 months.

My stepson goes to Varee and when he went there it was tacitly understood that he needed to have his harcut in 'The Thai Schoolboy Style'. When he does his volunatary three years military service at school on Saturdays in order to avoid the draft lottery, it will have to be even shorter.

My genetic son will not be going to Varee because he is half British and I don't want him to have 'The Thai Schoolboy Style' haircut! At the moment he goes to anubarn and we specifically agreed with the head beforehand that he would not be having 'The Thai Schoolboy Style' haircut. I hope we will be able to afford to send him to the Lanna International school where they worry more about giving the kids a good education than about the length of their hair.

You try to do the best for your kids. My boy at Varee is very happy there and has passed his exams to go on to Matayom 4. We find it a good school by Thai standards and the childrens education is well thought out and planned, if following the Thai tendency to rote learning a tad too much. Class sizes are reasonable and if you have any problems - such as those mentioned above- ask to see a lady called Darnee (phonetic spelling) who is Thai and a great link between Farang teachers, Farang Parents and the Thai ways at the school.

The same at Monfort EP.

The same as watchirawit also, at the start of the year they made a big thing out of the fact that each month a report would be sent home in English, Ive had 2 in 8 months.

I second that , my son's also at wachirawit school , I don't care as much about the report ,

but at the beginning of the second term they suddenly told or pushed my son to have a shorter than shorter haircut , my wife was furious , they wanted the style as they have at temple-schools , which at private schools is not standard , yes cleanly cut I agree with , we complained and I told the director if they wanted to have a communist style regime and it was getting close like this , pointed out I choose this school cause it seems free and open in many ways, we refused to do it and it seems they do not bother at the moment .

Some posters my suggest rules are rules , but its sudden and viewed as 'lo-so' style haircut , Boran old fashioned , not one parent at school I talked with enjoyed the fact , but infamously all keep quiet as usual .

I think it might have been a national advise , given from the education ministry to all schools , too many schools for my taste who 'suddenly' want a rediculous short haircut , no coincidence .

Edited by tijnebijn