How I Lost My Rod At Ngau Nam

robblok

Today i went fishing for pla bug with my nice new rod that i imported from Holland. It was a real catfish rod, on it was a nice shimano 6500 baitrunner. So In total the value of this rod and reel was over 11.000 bt. (not to brag just to give it some perspective on my sentiment when i saw it fly from the bank).

I might have forgotten the baitrunner or the line got stuck but im not sure. I was watching the rod and the next moment i saw it fly away. I was shocked by the speed of it all. The people at ngau nam quickly came and started dregging for my rod ( i did the same) After half an hour the rod was found and i rewarded the guy with 1000 bt. I already assumed the rod was lost the moment it flew off. It was found 5 shelters to the left with the fish still attached. Unfortunately the hook was bend out of shape and i lost the fish just before i could land it. It would have made for a nice tale if i had landed it too.

The money would have been bad but worse was that i could not replace it anytime soon as it was from Holland and not available here. So all in all i was lucky real lucky.

Well this happens at least you have had a lucky and happy ending. I lost my Ugly Stick and Penn( not a baitrunner) reel at Phuket Fishing Park. Just like you I saw it flew into the pond. Tried a few attempt to drag it but no success.

But I had a happy ending at Bungsamran the once and only overnight fishing. My girlfriend's brother didn't open the baitrunner and it flew into the pond. Luckily we were using the floats with the blinking lights. Wee and a few of the guides rowed a boat out and drag the pond. After an hour or so they saw the float and managed to retrieve rod and fish.

Lost count the number of times I,ve seen this happen in LOS.Had a very expensive session fishing once in the UK when a large carp did the same thing.A while back when fishing one of the small lakes in Bangkok I managed to

catch a fish with a rod and reel still attached to it.Although I never seen him lose it,it was very lucky for the Jap guy fishing a few pegs down.Miserable git never even offered me a drink.

Lost count the number of times I,ve seen this happen in LOS.Had a very expensive session fishing once in the UK when a large carp did the same thing.A while back when fishing one of the small lakes in Bangkok I managed to

catch a fish with a rod and reel still attached to it.Although I never seen him lose it,it was very lucky for the Jap guy fishing a few pegs down.Miserable git never even offered me a drink.

I cant inmagine not being grateful, i would feel bad if I did not offer the guys something for their effort and success. I was saved a loss so its only natural to give something back. It might be much but i could afford it and it was a lot less then if I had to replace it all.

Anyway I was happy to get it back i kinda gave up on the rod. The rod really flew :D

I fished two German guys on Ngao Nam, they was both using their own equipment, Shimano Stellas and expensive rods...I went to get them a drink, when i came back two rods and reels, a rod pod had vanished! All 80,000BHTs worth or so!LOL

Fortunately we got it all back in a short time frame and landed the guilty party a Sawai!

I fished two German guys on Ngao Nam, they was both using their own equipment, Shimano Stellas and expensive rods...I went to get them a drink, when i came back two rods and reels, a rod pod had vanished! All 80,000BHTs worth or so!LOL

Fortunately we got it all back in a short time frame and landed the guilty party a Sawai!

Hmmm its good that the rods got back i really given up on the rod the moment it hit the water but i was real happy to see it get back. I still dont know what has happend because i have so far never forgotten to put on my baitrunner. But it seems that that is the only explanation unless my line got caught behind one of the eyes or something like that. Anyway i was over cautious for the rest of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Been there, done that and got the t-shirt. One of the few times I forgot to set the brake, a fish took the whole lot. The pond was packed and I was the only foreigner. :crying: I felt like the world's biggest prat and was sure that all the Thais were having a good laugh at my expense. I just wished the ground would open up and swallow me. But the Thai anglers on both sides of me reeled in their lines and proceeded to trawl for my rod. It only took a few casts to get it back. I packed up all my gear in disgust, deciding to drown my embarrassment in beer, and invited those fine anglers to join me. They continued fishing (and drinking) while I stuck with drinking. As I was the newbie to Thai fishing parks at the time, I just sat back and took the time to learn from the locals. A great time was had by all in the end. :lol:

That was about 27 years ago at a fishing park off Bang Na Trat at kilo 12 or 13. It was called Beung Yai but is probably a moobahn now.

Edited by GarryP

• 2 weeks later...

happened to me at shadow lake too! A guy also got mine back and I landed the sawai that took it!! Great stuff!!

Nowadays i check my rod ten times before letting go of it. I am also thinking of putting on some safety. However im not yet sure what i will do. Unfortunately i cant fish January because of work. So i will miss my time there. But in February im sure ill be there 3-4 times a week.