Wedding Party - What About It?

SiamOne

I first married in our village, a typical sort of affair, with just relatives and village elders etc. e had a small party thre, with food and drink, but not fancy.

We married again in London, but once again, only a few people, relatives and friends, champagne all afternoon with some Thai food

Now we want to have a proper party, with all our old friends who never came to the other ones. Any ideas, maybe in Chiang Mai, a good place.

and how to get good food, maybe get some small food vendors to set up there, or what would be nicest?? :o:D

We had our marriage party at the Sathorn Amphur, it was my wife, myself and the guy that married us. It was great!!!

My wife has spoken a couple of times about us have a party, she is worried my parents will think we are not married or something, I just told her it wouldn't matter even if we weren;t married as they would still lover to bits.

A wedding party with three people is big enough for me :o

I first married in our village, a typical sort of affair, with just relatives and village elders etc. e had a small party thre, with food and drink, but not fancy.

We married again in London, but once again, only a few people, relatives and friends, champagne all afternoon with some Thai food

Now we want to have a proper party, with all our old friends who never came to the other ones. Any ideas, maybe in Chiang Mai, a good place.

and how to get good food, maybe get some small food vendors to set up there, or what would be nicest?? :o  :D

I'm getting married in CM on October at the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel its 5 stars but they do a good deal. How much you want to pay? How many people? The hotel does different packages. These will include food. You have choices. Give me more info and i'll see whats what.

and how to get good food, maybe get some small food vendors to set up there, or what would be nicest?? :o  :D

I'm getting married in CM on October at the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel its 5 stars but they do a good deal. How much you want to pay? How many people? The hotel does different packages. These will include food. You have choices. Give me more info and i'll see whats what.

What sort of $$$ are we looking at Jstar?

Most hotel packages include use of their ballroom since you're purchasing a lot of food. 4,000-15,000 Baht a table (10 people per) depending on what you want to have your guests eat. I've seen bills from a few hundred thousand to a few million for the reception. If your friends and relatives are mostly city folks, you can count on about 70% showing up. If we're talking country folks, it's closer to 110%.

:o

70K up. Good deals . Just think what you would pay in the Uk. This is for around 200 people up at about 350baht a head. They then give you other things in the package. This is the cheapest they have more expensive packages.

Most hotel packages include use of their ballroom since you're purchasing a lot of food.    4,000-15,000 Baht a table (10 people per) depending on what you want to have your guests eat.    I've seen bills from a few hundred thousand to a few million for the reception.    If your friends and relatives are mostly city folks, you can count on about 70% showing up.  If we're talking country folks, it's closer to 110%.

Depends mate, I've been to loads of "country" weddings some are over full some half empty. I had 120 tables at mine and you are right 110% turned up leading to finding new tables (the falang novelty), but I have been to many that were probably only about 70% full. Depends what your standing is like and what music/entertainment you put on.

Most hotel packages include use of their ballroom since you're purchasing a lot of food.    4,000-15,000 Baht a table (10 people per) depending on what you want to have your guests eat.     I've seen bills from a few hundred thousand to a few million for the reception.    If your friends and relatives are mostly city folks, you can count on about 70% showing up.   If we're talking country folks, it's closer to 110%.

Depends mate, I've been to loads of "country" weddings some are over full some half empty. I had 120 tables at mine and you are right 110% turned up leading to finding new tables (the falang novelty), but I have been to many that were probably only about 70% full. Depends what your standing is like and what music/entertainment you put on.

True. I was just playfully generalizing (as usual). Naturally if you're not in good standing with the family (like say for example if you decided to give a 45 minute speech about how silly you thought the sinsod concept was during the proposal dinner) or don't have too many friends, the turn out will be less.

:D

Oh dear, I think that budget would be too much

maybe we want about 100 people, some music, OK food and lots of drink  :o  :D  :D

Just a nice garden somewhere, not so posh, and good feeling

Well I'm out in the country so costs are probably much cheaper. No need to hire hotel. Rent the tables, which come with serving staff, hire cooks, buy the food and drinks ourselfs, hire singers, dancers ect

Most weddings around here are fairly big (averge about 60-70 tables) we had well over 1200 people in the night with a few hundred around in the day. My mother-in-law did'nt want any sin sot but wanted a big party so no problem. When all the envolopes were counted the next day I was only out of pocket about 70,000 bhat :D much cheaper then doing it back home. I've only ever been to 2 "hotel" weddings but loads of country ones. The "hotel" ones are much more formal, personaly I prefer the big country parties...more fun :D

If you (or better, your wife) have the time - organize it yourself. My wife & I weren't too kind on a formal wedding reception, so we rented a very nice garden setting for an evening (Siam Society in Bangkok), and hired a caterer (buffet style Thia food), someone to play music, bought a few barrels from Hineken (They supplied taps and gear), plus plenty of bottles of wine & spirits & mixers, someone to arrange for the flowers and decorations, photographers, invitations, etc, etc. My wife was in charge, and the result was a great night for all.

It was cheaper, more relaxed, and the feedback I have had since was good. A bit more work up front, but my wife seemed to enjoy the challange.

Oh yeah - she had a battalion of friends to help out with the details on the day (receiving guests, driving us back after the wedding, talking care of the gifts & envelopes, etc, etc.

She has been pestering me to do it again!

Not sure if she meant marrying or having a party! :D

Edited by WhiteShiva

we got married twice once in the uk and once in Thailand.

in the uk we did everything by ourselves & thai friends did the food. it cost a couple of grand and was a great day. a mate even lent us a bentley :o

in thailand the wifes uncle, a very famous monk, decided he wanted to give us a thai wedding and organised it himself. 11 monks and around 200 family had a wonderful day at wat somanas in bunglampoo. i didnt understand a word of what was going on and just had to sit there getting sprayed with water and wrapped up in white thread. all the family did exactly as he told them and there was not a mention of any money whatsoever

If you (or better, your wife) have the time - organize it yourself. My wife & I weren't too kind on a formal wedding reception, so we rented a very nice garden setting for an evening (Siam Society in Bangkok), and hired a caterer (buffet style Thia food), someone to play music, bought a few barrels from Hineken (They supplied taps and gear), plus plenty of bottles of wine & spirits & mixers, someone to arrange for the flowers and decorations, photographers, invitations, etc, etc. My wife was in charge, and the result was a great night for all.

It was cheaper, more relaxed, and the feedback I have had since was good. A bit more work up front, but my wife seemed to enjoy the challange.

Oh yeah - she had a battalion of friends to help out with the details on the day (receiving guests, driving us back after the wedding, talking care of the gifts & envelopes, etc, etc.

She has been pestering me to do it again!

Not sure if she meant marrying or having a party! :o

I am the wife!!

but your party sounds very nice, just what we are thinking of, but in Chiang Mai

it is not really a reception as our wedding was a couple of years ago, just a party for those who couldnt come before

:D:D

Our Thai wedding was supposed to be a rather small intimate affair with 20-25 attendees including the 5 farang I dragged along. Country Thais don't send invitations...people come and go, so one never knows how many will attend.

Well, the intimate affair turned out to be half my wife's village and about 25% of the neighboring village. 250-300 people! The wedding was a bit like Mr. Toads Wild Ride! And almost as much fun.