Re-Entry Permits Available At Airport Again?

Indeed it does read that way and very welcome change. It is presented as a news item so does appears to be open to everyone now rather than the "emergency only" system in place for the last several years.

The Re-Entry Application Procedures and Requirements At Suvarnabhumi Airport

Date : 07 - 12 - 10

1. Aliens must submit the applicatoin by themselves.

2. The date of submitting application must be the date of departure.

3. Gather the required documents as below

- Passport or travel document (1 original plus 1 copy)

- One recent photograph (4X6 CM.)

- Fees - Single 1,000 Baht

- Multiple 3,800 Baht

4. Submit the application and required documents at Immigration Departure Division (East Zone), Suvarnabhumi Airport.

5. The service open daily from now on

There's a small desk, just on the left after you enter the immigration area with a woman behind it and a sign saying "Reentry Permit", so it would appear that yes, they are allowing you to get the permit at the airport again.

Sawasdee Khrup,

Good news indeed.

Wonder if you showed up at that Immigration office in Suvarnabhumi while already in country ... in other words NOT fresh off a plane from outside Thailand ... and NOT about to depart from Thailand ticket in hand ... what might be possible. Could this be a way to avoid going to Vientiane again ?

thanks, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

A re-entry permit has nothing to do with a trip to Vientiane for a visa or visa exempt entry. It only keeps a current extension of stay alive.

It is also only available at airport on day of departure per below:

There's a small desk, just on the left after you enter the immigration area with a woman behind it and a sign saying "Reentry Permit", so it would appear that yes, they are allowing you to get the permit at the airport again.

This is the immigration area at departure, right?

...........okay, that was a stupid question. It says on the link above that it's at departure. :whistling:

Edited by russianrobert

Hi

Do you know if this desk is open 24 hours, for example if i have a flight at 1am in the morning and I am passing though immigration at around 10 or 11pm the night before would it still be operating..

thanks

Yes they are - used it myself a week ago last Thursday - But it takes time. Desk is inside the Immigration queue area - small desk on the far left near the enterance wall. - you have to fill in form and it has to be typed into computer - cost Thb 200 and she can take your photo for you with her desk top camera. Then get a official to take you though to booths behing the desks - no need to queue (I wasted 15 minutes originally because didn't spot the desk on the left and had been told to see the immigartion official). BUT now additional proceedure more stuff has to be entered on the computer and a receipt HAS TO BE ISSUED and cost Thb 1000. I tried to rush it because my depature time was approachoing - they were not happy when I told them I didn't need a receipt.

Whole process took almost an hour so get there early. Was promised once a new connection is installed it will be quicker and more efficient as the two data entry exercises will be linked . Sure beats a trip to Immigartaion department. to get another Visa extension. The very nice ladty told me next time get your 90 Non- Imm O visa and just in case you have to travel get a re-entry visa at he same time - Good advice if like me I suddenly have to make unplanned trips while on a so called break from work. .

In response to the other queries -

1) yes the service in open 24 hrs but if it was the middle of the night - I was told staff might be short as shifts are based on aircraft arrivals and departures so might take time but it would be available as it was an Immigartion service.

2) Only available if you are in the process of leaving - once to get the final nod from the staff at the booths - your passport gets an exit stamp. Also the lady at the desk checks your boarding pass.and won't deal with you unless you have one. She turned away a guy who was trying to get his done then but was only leaving on a short trip in two days time.

By the way I don't expect a Gold classification for getting this done and reporting it - I'm not one of the farangs who is so negative about this country that I can't appreciate that this is a new service that works for me. Ever tried to get a EU immigration officer to alter your visa conditions at a Airport? Don't try it in Germany or Austria - rules are rules.

The one element of their policy that no one seems to be focusing on is the following:

So, first, this would only apply to people who are already heading outbound that SAME day on an international flight.

Second, I'd be more than a bit nervous about relying on that..not getting a re-entry permit until the final hours before an international flight...

What happens if the officer is away... What happens if you have a late night departure.... What happens if there's any kind of snafu?

Then you're stuck without a re-entry permit, and face having to leave without one or miss your international flight...

It may be a good recourse for emergencies... But I'd prefer to stay safe and get any needed re-entry permit well ahead of any international travel.

As a matter of fact it has been pointed that out in post 2. 6 and 14 so it has been mentioned. It is a return to how it was a few years ago and people were able to get processed during the nights and when officer was not at desk another was found. Anyone planning travel should obviously get in advance if able but it will be of great benefit to those making fast trips; emergency or otherwise.

The one element of their policy that no one seems to be focusing on is the following:

So, first, this would only apply to people who are already heading outbound that SAME day on an international flight.

Second, I'd be more than a bit nervous about relying on that..not getting a re-entry permit until the final hours before an international flight...

What happens if the officer is away... What happens if you have a late night departure.... What happens if there's any kind of snafu?

Then you're stuck without a re-entry permit, and face having to leave without one or miss your international flight...

It may be a good recourse for emergencies... But I'd prefer to stay safe and get any needed re-entry permit well ahead of any international travel.

Totally agree, I would only use in an emergency. No hardship for me to get the reentry permit in advance from my local immigration office.

Lop, I didn't say the "ONLY DAY of DEPARTURE" issue hadn't been mentioned above... I said it wasn't being focused on....

Now, it is... smile.gif

Absent an unexpected death in the family, given the unpredictable way Thai bureaucracy works, I'd never leave getting a re-entry permit until the last minutes (before an international flight).

Funny too, that the way this comes to our attention apparently is from TV member by chance spotting the info on the airport's web site... Immigration obviously did a great job of publicizing the change.

As a matter of fact it has been pointed that out in post 2. 6 and 14 so it has been mentioned. It is a return to how it was a few years ago and people were able to get processed during the nights and when officer was not at desk another was found. Anyone planning travel should obviously get in advance if able but it will be of great benefit to those making fast trips; emergency or otherwise.

Well the Immigration web site currently has "Order of the Royal Thai Police Headquarters No. 606/2549" for reading but does not have its replacement 777/2551 which has been the requirement for the last two years.

The expressed reason the re-entry permit desk was closed was personal shortage/lack of use so expect it would be best to use it when able if we want to keep it alive.

Does anyone know if we can use this service for a non O marriage extension that is under consideration (i.e. in the process of approval or during the 30 days when they send off your application to get the thumbs up from Bangkok or where ever it goes)??

Thanks

Does anyone know if we can use this service for a non O marriage extension that is under consideration (i.e. in the process of approval or during the 30 days when they send off your application to get the thumbs up from Bangkok or where ever it goes)??

Thanks

It should be no problem, but you must return to Thailand before the 30 days are up and you need to go back to immigration to get the 1 year extension. If you are not back by then, you will not get your extension and will need a new visa.

Thanks

It should be no problem, but you must return to Thailand before the 30 days are up and you need to go back to immigration to get the 1 year extension. If you are not back by then, you will not get your extension and will need a new visa.

thanks

I will let you know

Recently (today) asked at immigration in Chiang Mai of the existence of this immigration office at suvarnabhumi and they are unaware of it.. but i'm going there tonight so I'll be able to see for myself..

It's not an office. It's just a desk where they process re-entry permits.

As much of a pain as it is to go to the Immigrations office just to buy a re-entry permit, the peace of mind would be worth it. I would be more than a little nervous showing up at the airport with my tickets ready to go if I did not already have a re-entry. Having my retirement visa cancelled and having to get a new one would be a real nuisance.

As much of a pain as it is to go to the Immigrations office just to buy a re-entry permit, the peace of mind would be worth it.

Unless you're 100% sure there won't be any call for emergency travel in the next year, just flop down an extra 1000 baht at your annual extension renewal. Small price for insurance, as who has the time to fiddle with any Immigration wicket when unforeseen travel is called for.

But, yeah, nice to see "last chance" has been reinstated for those who don't believe in insurance.

Recently (today) asked at immigration in Chiang Mai of the existence of this immigration office at suvarnabhumi and they are unaware of it.. but i'm going there tonight so I'll be able to see for myself..

saw the desk, with a sign above it saying 24 hours but no one attending it (i was there around 11pm)

yes it is inside the area that you need a boarding pass to enter.

fortunately I managed to arrange my re-entry permit in Chiang Mai even though my extension visa is under consideration from Maehongson, so I didn't need to use the service at Suvarnabhumi in the end

I would use it only as a last resort but good to know its there.