Wkpermit, Teachinglic & Visa

paulfr

I just started teaching at a private school .. my first job here in LOS.

The HR guy says I have to change my Non Imm O - Thai Wife 1 yr Ext Visa

to get the Work Permit. But I do not want my Visa stay linked to a job that could evaporate at the whim of some Thai Admin person.

Is there any valid reason why one CANNOT get a WP with a Visa/Ext such as mine ? What is required to get the WP ? Isn't it just that the employer can justify hiring you based on Thai Law ? I think it has nothing to do with Visas unless you want the WP to give you a 1 yr extension. And I don't need this.

Also, to get the Teachers License, I just need to prove I really do have my BS and MS degrees. Is a transcript from the school good enough or do you really need the degrees themselves ?

Thanks

I am over 55, have aThai wife, am working at a government school with a work permit ,teachers licence and my visa is a non immigrant type"O": I previously had a Type "B' which I changed upon marrying.

To qualify for this visa as you probably already know, you need to have 400,000 baht in a Thai bank or an income of 400,000 baht per annum which is about 34,000 baht per month.

As far as I know you should not have to change your Non.Imm."O" just because Mr. HR says so. Try and get the true answer from Immigration Dept at Suan Phlu Office.

I believe the above details are true, if incorrect I am sure someone will let you know.

Good luck, hope this helps somewhat.

I currently work with a married guy on a type O visa who has a work permit.

IT IS ALLOWED!!!!

The school may not want you to do it- it may not even be familiar to the low level flunky that you deal with at the Ministry- but IT IS ALLOWED!!!

Do NOT give up your type O for a cancellable type B!!!

Simply keep smiling and repeating the law until they give up and go through it with you, or you have to find another job.

"Steven"

as ijwt says.

You can get a WP with a Non Imm O. I too worked with someone that had an O and there was no problem whatsoever getting a TL & WP.

To get the TL, you need to show your original certificates and maybe your transcripts as well. ( depends what sort of mood the ministry is, this year some people did and some didnt in my place ) If they are both back home, request them both now rather than hand in the certs and then find out the ministry wants the transcripts in a months time.

I just started teaching at a private school .. my first job here in LOS.

The HR guy says I have to change my Non Imm O - Thai Wife 1 yr Ext Visa

to get the Work Permit. But I do not want my Visa stay linked to a job that could evaporate at the whim of some Thai Admin person.

Is there any valid reason why one CANNOT get a WP with a Visa/Ext such as mine ? What is required to get the WP ? Isn't it just that the employer can justify hiring you based on Thai Law ? I think it has nothing to do with Visas unless you want the WP to give you a 1 yr extension. And I don't need this.

As others have said you can definitely get a work permit on a Non-imm O. And like you say you really want your WP on top of it (I think we covered this on Ajarn didn't we???) so you're not at the mercy of the school.

Also, to get the Teachers License, I just need to prove I really do have my BS and MS degrees. Is a transcript from the school good enough or do you really need the degrees themselves ?

Thanks

As Bluffer said...it's hard to tell depending on the mood of the MoE, so get as much paperwork as you can (I even used some of my cub badges :o ) and throw it at them (transcripts and all).