Headed To Myanmar Soon

roger1999

A visit to the Shwedegon pagoda and tasting the famous tea leaf salad dish comes to mind though i have never been to Myanmar. Do come back and tell us about your experiences!!

Don't stay in Rangoon for two weeks. Go up to Pagan to the area of 3000 temples, Mandalay is well worth a visit, then perhaps along to the coast. In Yangon spend some time in the shanty towns amongst the people - and try to buy postcards etc from the postcard sellers and laquerware from the girl sellers at the temples in Pagan. They need the business as there are so few tourists. Also don't forget that you need dollar bills (20, 50 100) in next to perfect condition - no marks, pen lines, folds etc. Otherwise they will not be accepted and there are no ATMs in Burma.

By the way it is Burma not Myanmar (politically correct!)

ianf

re ... By the way it is Burma not Myanmar

if your right about that ? and i dont know !.... do you want to tell the man who painted this he was wrong ?

just interested ... dave2 : )

Myanmar is the Junta's name for the country.

Burma is the traditional name, and the name that The Lady (Aung San Suu Kyi) prefers.

Choose your side!

A visit to the Shwedegon pagoda and tasting the famous tea leaf salad dish comes to mind though i have never been to Myanmar. Do come back and tell us about your experiences!!

Don't stay in Rangoon for two weeks. Go up to Pagan to the area of 3000 temples, Mandalay is well worth a visit, then perhaps along to the coast. In Yangon spend some time in the shanty towns amongst the people - and try to buy postcards etc from the postcard sellers and laquerware from the girl sellers at the temples in Pagan. They need the business as there are so few tourists. Also don't forget that you need dollar bills (20, 50 100) in next to perfect condition - no marks, pen lines, folds etc. Otherwise they will not be accepted and there are no ATMs in Burma.

Haven't been since 1996, but it being Burma, it probably hasn't changed that much ( apart from a new capital and probably some more roads built by forced labour). Shwedagon Pagoda a must, some interesting architecture. Speak to the locals, a lot of them have good english but may be uncertain about talking to foreigners. Bagan is good but you can get Buddha'd out, there are so many temples - get a local guide and spend a couple of days there. Mandalay worthwhile but unless things have changed avoid the "road to mandalay" which is in fact the Irrawaddy river trip. In 1996 the river boat trips money went straight into the hands of the junta, so I went up there by road in a locally owned bus, up to you. If you have time head up to the Inle lake region with its floating farms, unusual boat rowing style and a genuine floating market which is a photographers paradise. Do hire a pushbike and ride through the fields up here, abandoned pagodas and temples and a great landscape. Oh and use the taxi drivers to convert dollars to kyat, you're get a much better rate than using official money changers (this may have changed but check as below for latest news)

To get the latest news try the lonely planet forum the thorn tree. Enjoy, it's a wonderful place with wonderful people but with a bunch of S$%# in charge.

ianf

Are you saying you need dollar bills for conversion to local currency or just to spend directly?

Can you convert baht to the local currency?

Where can you get the best conversion rate?

Thanks

David

ianf

if your right about that ? and i dont know !.... do you want to tell the man who painted this he was wrong ?

Burma is the traditional name, and the name that The Lady (Aung San Suu Kyi) prefers.

Choose your side!

the official name is Myanmar, whether you like it or not. Please stick to that name, thanks.

I know several Burmese people and they all refer to it as Myanmar. I'd stick with that one.

ianf

Are you saying you need dollar bills for conversion to local currency or just to spend directly?

Thanks

David

You need dollars for all government fees, exit tax, some hotel and restaurants, but either local currency or thai baht accepted in road side shops and Yangon markets. Yes, impossible to spend 2 weeks in yangonm, as advised, visit upcountry. If you'd like a travel agent, Nice guy, German fellow, very helpful and fair pricing. In actual fact if you want a great hotel, (i don't know your budget) but he ca nget you into the Trader @ a great price, oh becarful hotels are getting bnusy now, so book soon. Exchanging dollars can only be done by offical exchanger, right next door to traders hotel is another hotel, chinese, forgetr the name but they give an excellent rate, bigger the bill, better the rate. any further call me, my fingers are getting tired.

08 22 181 611.

ianf

Thanks

David

You need dollars for all government fees, exit tax, some hotel and restaurants, but either local currency or thai baht accepted in road side shops and Yangon markets. Yes, impossible to spend 2 weeks in yangonm, as advised, visit upcountry. If you'd like a travel agent, Nice guy, German fellow, very helpful and fair pricing. In actual fact if you want a great hotel, (i don't know your budget) but he ca nget you into the Trader @ a great price, oh becarful hotels are getting bnusy now, so book soon. Exchanging dollars can only be done by offical exchanger, right next door to traders hotel is another hotel, chinese, forgetr the name but they give an excellent rate, bigger the bill, better the rate. any further call me, my fingers are getting tired.

08 22 181 611.

Yes you can convert baht to local currency - there are 'street wheelers and dealers who'll give you good rates. The hotel as in the rest of the world give you lousy rates.

And yes, you will need USA dollars - you will need them from the border onwards and as I said they must be in pristine condition. You can spend dollars in the hotels, shops etc as well as local currency. I have never used baht for everyday use but have changed baht with money traders.

ianf

Thanks

David

08 22 181 611.

I had heard that they no longer take US money at the border crossing in Masai. it was $10 US now 500 baht.

The hotel we stayed at in Kentong insisted on Baht and the one in Monglar insisted on Chinese money. They also demanded a deposit for the key and I did not have enough so after mush deliberation they acccepted a US $100 bill. Interestingly enough they would not accept Burmese or Thai money. It was a nice city worth a visit. It sits right on the ?Chinese border and you can get a motorbike ride into China through the back roads.B)

We had gotten Chinese and Burmese money in Masai before we left.

Edited by jayjay0

I had heard that they no longer take US money at the border crossing in Masai. it was $10 US now 500 baht.

The hotel we stayed at in Kentong insisted on Baht and the one in Monglar insisted on Chinese money. They also demanded a deposit for the key and I did not have enough so after mush deliberation they acccepted a US $100 bill. Interestingly enough they would not accept Burmese or Thai money. It was a nice city worth a visit. It sits right on the ?Chinese border and you can get a motorbike ride into China through the back roads.B)

We had gotten Chinese and Burmese money in Masai before we left.

It depends what part you go to. If you went to the area adjacent to the Chinese border, you'd find they use Yuan, likewise on the Inidan border they will use the Rupee. You also need to bear in mind that the Government has forced many hotels and guest houses to accept US$ only from foreigners (it is enshrined in law, foreigner registration act etc.). However, this very much depends on the local authorities and their relationship to the hotels, so in practice you can never be sure. What you came across was different hotels with different policies and they can get away with it with the local authorities.

Yeah he's right.

It's BURMA....

ianf

Choose your side!

the country's name has always been MYANMA or BAMA in the local language, and only foreigners make such a lot of FUZZZZ about the name. it was translated into BURMA by the British and is a remnant of the colonial past.

MYANMAR is as well more representative of the various ethnic races and states which make up the country (Shan, Chin, Kayin ... etc) rather than being limited to the majority Bamah (or Bamar) race from which the English derived the name 'Burma'.

The locals don't care much about that, what they want is a better life, that's it !

The name of Myanmar has nothing to do with the ruling Junta.

the term 'Myanmar Naingandaw' was used since the days of the old kings.

Myanmar has, in fact been the official name since at least the time of Marco Polo's 13th century writings; the first Burmese language newspaper, published in 1868, was called Myanmar Thandawzin, translated by the British as Burma Herald.

BUT BACK TO YOUR PLANNED TRIP:

Burma/Myanmar is definitely NOT the country where you just can "show up". it really needs some planning !

("What ? there are no ATM's here ? then we have to fly back immediately as we didn't bring any cash").

Oh, and if you never knew what a CRISP banknote means, in Burma/Myanmar you will definitely learn it. Check all bills you bring ! they must look as if they just came from the printer (particularly anything bigger than 10 Dollars). otherweise they are useless. I kept them in a sheet protector, not in my wallet, and the moneychanger in Yangon/Rangoon was very happy when he saw that.

If you need a guide in Mandalay, I know a fantastic guy who owns a 35-year old car and is a tour guide. very very reasonable rates.

He speaks an excellent English and is well educated. He seemed to know everything and everyone and even took me to his ailing Mom's home one evening. He was almost more a friend than a guide at the end of my stay there. As he is not befriended with the local Junta, and can therefore not get an official license as a tourist-guide, he is having problems to attract customers and feed his family.

But he will definitely make your stay in Mandalay and around enjoyable. If you want his number or email, send me a PM.

Edited by siam2007