Cycling From Chiang Mai To Pai

DavidMavec

Hello...

I am wondering if anyone has experience doing this (no, I don't mean on a motorbike). I know it will be difficult but am wondering if there is anyone on this forum who has done it and can offer me suggestions. I am planning on doing it in 2 days and taking a bus back.

Thanks...

during my Visa running days . i got ot know many people who ride all the way to Maesai on a regular basis .

i personally had ride on a motorcycle to many part of thailand . the only different i see here is the speed of travel .

thing that worry me the most i would try to make a list for you to look out .

1. passing TRUCK or LORRY . - try to stay on the side of the Road and when you take Turn and corner try t slow down

2. insect . if you going at fast speed in coming insect can be very painful . if it hit your faces or body

3. POT Hole . one that i freak me out the Most is POTHOLE usually Bread size Hole alone the road or Crack .

especially when you going Downhill which there is abit of download on the raod to Pai and . so be careful and look far.

4. Is going to be Cold so wear enough clothing to keep warm .

5. Bicycle Lighting . Make sure you have Reflector and Light that allow CARs and Truck to see you .

i do not wish to read Road killed Farang on paper .

6. carry Water . and Lip palm . BUY SUN BLOCK !!!

7. Each town is about 90km apart so as long about 50- 90Km apart so if you can do 50 km Up you should be able to reach town if you get in trouble .

8 . LEAVE EARLY .. Very Early like 4-5 am .

9 . Make sure you know how to change your Tire , cos i don;t think you will be bale to get a Bike shop to service your Bike when your bike break down . - Hand pump and extra tube would be great .

10. if you just want a work out go cycle at the 700 years stadium and save yourself the trouble .

if is a goal you trying to do it . go for it and all the best .

11. the Uphill will be the killer .

12. do it slowly and you get there faster

good luck

I'm also looking to give it a go soonish. I've heard it's doable in a day so should be fine over two days. The only trouble I could see with doing it in two days would be where to spend the night.

My own plan is to ride there. Then spend a night or two in Pai before riding back to Chiang Mai.

I rode the Samoeng loop for the first time yesterday and I think it would be a good idea to do that before missioning it out to Pai.

Best of luck,

Guano

Have a great time.

Your lucky here, on the route to Pai you can buy food and water everywhere but in the mountains. There is also so many choices for accommodation on the way. Can you buy reflective safety vests in Chiang Mai, that's what I'd want.

The Soppong River Inn is fantastic, and roughly half way to Pai.

I don't think I would start in CM.. Would want to stay near the turn off up near Chiang Dao.

The ride itself would be a tough one.. Depends on equipment.. A road bike would be far more efficient..

I imagine, IanF, El Jefe or SoloFlyer have wired it...

How would it compare to ride from say near Chiang Dao to Pai versus the full Samoeng Loop?

Any impressions?

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I don't think I would start in CM.. Would want to stay near the turn off up near Chiang Dao.

The ride itself would be a tough one.. Depends on equipment.. A road bike would be far more efficient..

I imagine, IanF, El Jefe or SoloFlyer have wired it...

How would it compare to ride from say near Chiang Dao to Pai versus the full Samoeng Loop?

Any impressions?

There is a world of difference between riders who ride everyday (I have done 22000+ kms this year) and the occasional rider setting themselves a challenge.

I respect those riders who are not regular cyclists doing rides like this.

The most important thing to my mind about cycling any distance is:

a) Your position on the bike - having the right saddle height and proper pedaling position

B) Making sure that your bike is in good mechanical condition with sufficient air in the tyres!

c) Drinking plenty of water/ or perhaps electrolyte if it is very hot.

The distance between the two Chiangs is about 180km (or about 112 miles in English money); El Jeffe would probably take 6 hours + a bit but a non regular rider should allow 10 hours. I haven't done it for 15 years so I'm not sure how long I'd take (El J is a better climber than me so perhaps 7+)

Have fun and if there are two of you guys who want to do it - then do it together. Then get a good massage in Chiang Rai

Ian.... you should take a day off from riding and get your eyes checked.

Chiang Mai to Pai.... The Pai that is on the way to Mae Hong Son.

I think its about 130K from Chiang Mai to Pai.. But if one starts the day from near Mae Taeng and the turnoff for route 1095 then would be considerably shorter ride.

I am guessing about 80 km from 107/1095 intersection.

That's why I was asking how it would compare to the full Samoeng loop because that is about the same distance.

Who me?? Thanks for the honourable mention... but I'm really an absolute beginner, having just started this year - still find going up the Doi difficult.

BTW, I'm thinking of ordering some bike pants and tops from China. Anyone interested? They were around 1500 per set last time, including expenses.

There is a world of difference between riders who ride everyday (I have done 22000+ kms this year) and the occasional rider setting themselves a challenge.

I respect those riders who are not regular cyclists doing rides like this.

The most important thing to my mind about cycling any distance is:

a) Your position on the bike - having the right saddle height and proper pedaling position

B) Making sure that your bike is in good mechanical condition with sufficient air in the tyres!

c) Drinking plenty of water/ or perhaps electrolyte if it is very hot.

The distance between the two Chiangs is about 180km (or about 112 miles in English money); El Jeffe would probably take 6 hours + a bit but a non regular rider should allow 10 hours. I haven't done it for 15 years so I'm not sure how long I'd take (El J is a better climber than me so perhaps 7+)

Have fun and if there are two of you guys who want to do it - then do it together. Then get a good massage in Chiang Rai

So much depends on the rider; 10 to 20 years ago 100km a day on a bicycle was nothing, yet today it's lap's around the Moo Ban to condition myself for longer rides. Can't jump on the bike and ride 10 clicks, and not suffer for a month after (45 with fused lumber and cervical disks). But with building slow, we've (Son and I) set a goal of riding the MHS loop together later next year. That's why I'm interested and hope for a small trip report when your back David.

You've likely also considered;

A good multi tool (visit Nana Screws north of the NE corner of the moat)

Tasty electrolyte powders,

IMODIUM (nothing ruins a bicycle trip - short of a crash - like a bad case of diarrhea)

Tire pump (available at many places)

Quality tube patches (Piston shop sells the quality kind that don't require glue - on the road north of Nana screws)

Cheers

Ian.... you should take a day off from riding and get your eyes checked.

Chiang Mai to Pai.... The Pai that is on the way to Mae Hong Son.

I think its about 130K from Chiang Mai to Pai.. But if one starts the day from near Mae Taeng and the turnoff for route 1095 then would be considerably shorter ride.

I am guessing about 80 km from 107/1095 intersection.

That's why I was asking how it would compare to the full Samoeng loop because that is about the same distance.

Oooops! To early in the morning I guess ....... 555555

I'll skip the parts about Mae Sai (what does riding a motorcycle have to do with this?), Chiang Rai, Chiang Dao, and the Soppong River Inn which is 50 kms past Pai.

I've ridden from Chiang Mai to Pai every year since I've been here. It's about 130 kms with 2,000 meters of climbing, which makes it about 35% longer and hillier than the Samoeng Loop.

For an experienced rider it's a long day trip. The problem with doing it in two days is finding accommodations at around the halfway point. iirc, there is a basic guest house in the town where the buses stop (Mae Sae?). btw, the last noodle shop on the right does a great Khao Soi. Other than that, there aren't many places to spend the night.

Other options are to start in Mae Tang which has a hotel, or in one of the resorts in the first 20 kms west of there on 1095.

If you do start in Chiang Mai, make sure you take the road that goes sort of past the Prem Center from Nong Hoi. This avoids highway 107 and brings you out 11 kms up on 1095, saving a few kms.

I'll assume that you have some experience cycling and don't need advice on tools to bring, medications, etc. My only advice is that you should be training in the hills nearby. If you can do the Samoeng Loop, you should have no problem getting to Pai in two days. Remember, you'll need to carry some clothes and other personal items with you. The extra weight will make climbing more difficult. Pack light. And spend a day training in the hills with the stuff you need to carry. Then eliminate half of it. You don't need to be prepared for every possible emergency on a 2-day trip. And when you get to Pai you can buy whatever it is you needed but didn't take.

I agree with Khun IanF and have respect for people who look forward to a good challenge, as long as they are prepared for it.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Have a great time.

Your lucky here, on the route to Pai you can buy food and water everywhere but in the mountains. There is also so many choices for accommodation on the way. Can you buy reflective safety vests in Chiang Mai, that's what I'd want.

The River Inn at Soppong is further North from Pai, not between Pai and Chiang Mai.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a great time.

The River Inn at Soppong is further North from Pai, not between Pai and Chiang Mai.

Soppong River Inn is about halfway between Mae Hong Son town and Pai, rather than between Chiang Mai and Pai.

If you do start in Chiang Mai, make sure you take the road that goes sort of past the Prem Center from Nong Hoi. This avoids highway 107 and brings you out 11 kms up on 1095, saving a few kms.

Yep, the 107 is the worst part of it, although there's plenty of trucks to slipstream if you catch one doing about 40kph ;) .

Did it a few years (around 135kms from Mae Jo, 8-9 hours with many stops). If you have a mountain bike, be sure to get some skinny road tyres on there. Leave real early and do it in one hit. Easier coming back of course. You can also do the back route via Samoeng, but will defo need to overnight going this route. Avoid rainy season ;)