Advice On Gillhams

jdhogg

Hi chaps

I am looking for any comments about Gillhams fishing park,I am very lucky that i have been to many locations all over the world chasing various species and meeting wonderfull people,in fact i will be in Thailand in January fishing at bungsamran,shadow lake,it monsters,palmtree lagoon and a days fishing on a river for stingray,(ps i am not very fit and think these things will ruddy kill me if we get a hook up)

I will be with a local fishing company run by expats and will be tapping them up for as much info as possible but the more info that i can get the better,i have spoken to two different sets of anglers who have been there and got two totally different reports one great and one awfull so if any of you chaps have been there i would very much appreciate your comments,

many thanks and tight lines jdhogg (john)

Don't bother going it's to expensive and the chance of catching nothing is high, the owner is grumpy if you get on the wrong side of him, yes it has amazing scenary pristene lake, food and drink expensive, but if you plan to go for a few day's and don't mind spending 5000 plus per day to fish then you will most likely catch something big, the places you have already mention also have many many huge fish, as they say in Thailand up to you..

Don't bother going it's to expensive and the chance of catching nothing is high, the owner is grumpy if you get on the wrong side of him, yes it has amazing scenary pristene lake, food and drink expensive, but if you plan to go for a few day's and don't mind spending 5000 plus per day to fish then you will most likely catch something big, the places you have already mention also have many many huge fish, as they say in Thailand up to you..

Many thanks for your reply Kenny,is there any more of you chaps who have been there and would be kind enough to write a few line

regards john

I think the majority of people that go there are from other countries taking a fishing holiday and have saved for a long time, work it out 2 weeks at 5000 bht per day fishing, then accomodation, food, drink extra bait all adds up to a huge outlay, as I said a fantastic place and going by the news letters huge fish. for me it is just far to expensive and considering there are many many other huge fish venues at far less cost. let us know how you get on if you do go to Gillhams..

I went to Gilliams in Sept 09. I was actually on my honeymoon! The accomodation is very good. Private, clean & fully functional. We went for 4 days & 4 nights. Yes the food and beer is OTT but to stay in a marvelous resort, that's what it is, then expect a premium. You would pay high prices in a hotel so why not in a resort. There was no rubbish, no dirt, the pathways were well lit. It was hasstle free fishing and then eating / drinking. Yes it is expensive but its the best fishing resort in Thailand. Not crowded, good guides and for me i received good advice from the son & father. We can all be grumpy but i went to catch fish. I caught everyday. Most about 30lbs and only photographed anything over 40lbs. I hook 2 Ariparma's...lost one at the net and landed the other which was over 200lbs. I hooked and played a stingray for over 3 hours and lost that at the side as well. All in all, with accomodation, fishing, food and drink I spent £800 or £1200. I considered it good value and had a great time. PM if you want any photos of the lake or fish i caught. You could go to BSR and catch an ariparma and get stung for 20-40 thounsand baht. Thats more than i paid for the 4 days. The fish in BSR are tired and well hooked around the mouth. There was not one mark on Stuarts fish at Gilliams. All 100% fit, clean and...well a pleasure to catch. The choice is yours...fly coach / economy or go business. Gilliams is 1st class even if the owner has the odd moody day! Dont we all have days like that? Gilliams is the best i have seen anywhere in the world! Ther best comes at a price and remember it is FISHING not CATCHING. Expect to work hard at Gilliams but expect the rewards if you do! Just my opinion guys.

I went to Gilliams in Sept 09. I was actually on my honeymoon! The accomodation is very good. Private, clean & fully functional. We went for 4 days & 4 nights. Yes the food and beer is OTT but to stay in a marvelous resort, that's what it is, then expect a premium. You would pay high prices in a hotel so why not in a resort. There was no rubbish, no dirt, the pathways were well lit. It was hasstle free fishing and then eating / drinking. Yes it is expensive but its the best fishing resort in Thailand. Not crowded, good guides and for me i received good advice from the son & father. We can all be grumpy but i went to catch fish. I caught everyday. Most about 30lbs and only photographed anything over 40lbs. I hook 2 Ariparma's...lost one at the net and landed the other which was over 200lbs. I hooked and played a stingray for over 3 hours and lost that at the side as well. All in all, with accomodation, fishing, food and drink I spent £800 or £1200. I considered it good value and had a great time. PM if you want any photos of the lake or fish i caught. You could go to BSR and catch an ariparma and get stung for 20-40 thounsand baht. Thats more than i paid for the 4 days. The fish in BSR are tired and well hooked around the mouth. There was not one mark on Stuarts fish at Gilliams. All 100% fit, clean and...well a pleasure to catch. The choice is yours...fly coach / economy or go business. Gilliams is 1st class even if the owner has the odd moody day! Dont we all have days like that? Gilliams is the best i have seen anywhere in the world! Ther best comes at a price and remember it is FISHING not CATCHING. Expect to work hard at Gilliams but expect the rewards if you do! Just my opinion guys.

Have to agree with your post but unfortunately for me I just do not have the funds available to warrent me spending so much for fishing, we all have to live within our means. everything you have said is true clean etc for 1 day the fishing can be poor but if you can afford the expense then a week would produce very good results.

jcartermad

Thankyou for taking the time to reply to my post,its much apreciated

regards john

I made 3 trips to Gillhams, twice I stayed at the resort and once a day trip. And I will be going again with my friends January 2011. I don't fancy living on site this coming trip likely stay at a hotel in Ao Nang

If you have the time it's best to fish for a minimum of 2 days to fully appreciate Gillhams. Well worth the effort to make a trip at least once.

I made 3 trips to Gillhams, twice I stayed at the resort and once a day trip. And I will be going again with my friends January 2011. I don't fancy living on site this coming trip likely stay at a hotel in Ao Nang

If you have the time it's best to fish for a minimum of 2 days to fully appreciate Gillhams. Well worth the effort to make a trip at least once.

Thankyou for your input zoso

regards john

• 3 weeks later...

I had a stint there for 3 days. It was great. Yes it costs more than most places in Thailand but then you get a hell of a lot more for your money. Brand new chalets great food and personal attention from a world class fisherman. All this with great scenery and the best quality fish I have come accross in Thailand. They are harder to get than BSR but you know they are living in a very different environment than BSR. It is much more like fishing than "catching". I hooked plenty and saw a monster freshwater ray caught whilst there. Hooked up on some big ones and lost more than I landed but I would go back tomorrow if I had the chance. Compared with the cost of fishing in OZ it is cheap (take imnto account accommodation boat charter etc I would guess about half).

I have fished all around the world and I would rate Gillham's as being in the top two fishing experiences of my life.

Oh, and did I mention the food?