Sick Of Being Called 'Papa'

Xircal

I don't have anyone calling me papa except touts and unattractive women on the street trying to relieve me of a few baht. I have to admit that it gets on my nerves that they are so dense that they don't realize that it is just plain annoying and pretty much guaranteed to chase any suckers off.:bah:

• Like 2

Beats being called 'the farang' by people you supposedly have known for long.

I would rather be known as the stinking Falung then a papa.

Some Thai women call me Lung or Uncle, I hate that and haven`t been promoted to a papa yet, but getting there.

Well we all have get old sometime. One option is to mix with people older than yourself, it may make you feel better.

this is what i like a swift pat on the bottom and instructions to call me daddy B)

• Like 2

Don’t be offended if someone calls you ‘Papa’ instead regard it as a mark of respect.

I’ve lived in Thailand for 14 years and on a few occasions questioned Thai’s as to why they call older farangs ‘Papa’ and their reply was that they use the word out of respect for an older person.

When they start calling you ‘Duckling’ that’s when you have to worry.

• Like 2

When I hear 'Papa' from my chldren it is the most lovely sound in the world.

Same here. My 2 year old Daughter calls me Papa and I love it.

That's completely different and you know it.

My kids call me Dad, other times they call me the old man, but I would really feel offended if this came from an adult stranger or an acquaintance.

When we are young we always want people to treat us like grown ups. When we reach middle age and older, we sometimes need a bit of flattery and perhaps some BS in our lives just to boost us up a little.

I have friends and neighbors who are much older then myself, I wouldn't dream of addressing them as pop or gramps, just for reason of showing a mark of respect and considering peoples feelings.

A long time ago I had an aunt who was in her 40s at the time, that I used to call, auntie. One day she asked me; please do not call me auntie when we are out it makes me feel old. I respected her wishes, no problem.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I don't have anyone calling me papa except touts and unattractive women on the street trying to relieve me of a few baht. I have to admit that it gets on my nerves that they are so dense that they don't realize that it is just plain annoying and pretty much guaranteed to chase any suckers off.:bah:

I agree, I'm over 60 and have never been called papa. Where is the OP hanging out that this happens to him so often?

• Like 1

I agree, I'm over 60 and have never been called papa. Where is the OP hanging out that this happens to him so often?

A fairly sure-fire way to avoid being called Papa is to hang out with people your own age :)

Hi everybody

You may or may not be aware that Thai people do not use names the same as the rest of the world. How many times do you hear thais actually calling each other by their names, not very often. How many times do you hear "pee" .. "nong" ... and yes papa. Yes, Im the wrong side of 50 but seldom do i hear them call me "papa or any other name for that matter. Some names do give off certain connotations ... well for me they do. I hate hearing wives calling their husbands "theerak", Save it for the bars.

Really, whats in a name?

Howard (or papa if you prefer :whistling: )

Edited by cdnvic
removed text formatting for readability

I have a great niece that calls me grandma, and many many relatives who call me auntie etc. Its an honorific. Thai people are not ashamed of their age and embrace it. Not saying I do so great at embracing my age myself but you might try looking at things from a positive point of view than a negative one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is not about people who don't know me calling me 'Papa', but about those who do know me, but still call me 'Papa' even after I've told them I don't like it and to use my actual name instead.

I don't view it as a mark of respect either, but rather one of pure laziness on the part of the individuals who use it.

I agree with Beetlejuice though. I don't regard myself as being old at all, but my hair has gone grey and that seems to mean I've been awarded the accolade 'Papa' wherever I decide to go in Thailand now.

• Like 1

This is not about people who don't know me calling me 'Papa', but about those who do know me, but still call me 'Papa' even after I've told them I don't like it and to use my actual name instead.

I don't view it as a mark of respect either, but rather one of pure laziness on the part of the individuals who use it.

I agree with Beetlejuice though. I don't regard myself as being old at all, but my hair has gone grey and that seems to mean I've been awarded the accolade 'Papa' wherever I decide to go in Thailand now.

Oh, I thought you were looking for an explanation, but it seems you just want a place to complain. Sorry to interrupt, complain away but do try to steer clear of labelling all Thai people in a derogatory manner, cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sick to death of being called 'Papa' everywhere I go. OK, so I'm on the wrong side of 60, but if I tell somebody my name, I expect them to use it and not revert to calling me 'Papa' again

To be brutally honest, at your age you should perhaps count yourself lucky that anyone more than ten years younger than you recognises your presence in their company, let alone speaks to you.