BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
sunholidaysun1

Good Books To Read

Seems like a lot of us read books ,so I thought about adding this thread for good books you have read, the ones that you cant put down and stay up half the the night reading them.

I generally get my books from Peter at Orns bookshop, so the ones I have read will be going back to him if you want to read them.

Stephen Leather : Private Dancer and Nightfall

Ed McBain : Fiddlers

Elmore Leonard : Pronto

James Patterson : Swimsuit

John Silverster : Underbelly The Golden Mile

Gavin Maxwell: The House at Elrig

John Lister-Kaye : The White Island

Don't knock a good comic, I have the complete Modesty Blaise series on hard disk as well as Asterix the Gaul, Footrot Flats and a couple of others.

A literary snob I am not.

Edited by sceadugenga

Wow! I took you for a Spiderman and Batman type.laugh.gif

You forgot Robin :D

Who !? 'Rocket Robin Hood' ?

Edited by jubby

Currently reading

The Cat's Revenge by Claude Balls

and the Russian classic:

The Angry Baby by Nora Titoff :D

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

Has anyone got an EBook ? Are they worth buying ?

Myself and lannaman are the eBook aficionados of the Chiang Rai forum.

I was a slow starter but now prefer my eBook reader to hard copy books.

Lannaman and I probably have several hundred eBooks between us, all of which could be carried on a memory card the size of a postage stamp.

Currently reading

and the Russian classic:

Regards

Will

Nothing like a good day at the cricket to bring out the cheerful side eh? :lol:

I have JUST finished Gavin Maxwell : Harpoon at a Venture (Excellent) Its about Whale Shark fishing in the Hebrides (West Coast of Scotland, where all the islands are , such as Rhum, Skye, Uist, etc etc )in the 1940's.

Lannaman and I probably have several hundred eBooks between us, all of which could be carried on a memory card the size of a postage stamp.

Can you advise what EBook is worth buying and what size memory cards to go with it . I have no idea about these EBooks but I would like to know more about them. Is it free to down load books or have you got to join an EBook website and pay per book ? Can you send the book you have read to another EBook User ? Any Info would be great, thanks :D

I read about 5 books a week but it would be great to have on hand whatever I wanted to read, so I think I will invest in one as long as I can read the print ?

Currently reading

and the Russian classic:

Regards

Will

Looks as though I have encouraged your humour to come out, at long last :D

Can you advise what EBook is worth buying and what size memory cards to go with it . I have no idea about these EBooks but I would like to know more about them. Is it free to down load books or have you got to join an EBook website and pay per book ? Can you send the book you have read to another EBook User ? Any Info would be great, thanks :D

I read about 5 books a week but it would be great to have on hand whatever I wanted to read, so I think I will invest in one as long as I can read the print ?

Some eBook readers contain 2 memory sources, a built in hard drive and a removable memory card. My reader, an iRiver Story, has a 1gb drive and a 4gb removable card. This will hold many thousands... yes, thousands,of eBooks.

There are thousands of free eBooks available on the internet, most of which are out of copyright meaning they were written more than 100 years ago.

There are also free copyright books available on the internet through various sources, obviously torrent sites are one.

eBooks can be stored like digital photos and shared the same way, eg eMail or by USB drives.

Most large book stores now sell eBooks and most new books are sold in eBook format as well as hard/paper copies. They are quite a bit cheaper than paper books.

They can be read on any computer as well, the advantage of the eBook reader though, is that they have a battery that lasts several days between charges.

There are several threads on ThaiVisa about eBooks, including one in the Chiang Rai forum.

Type eBook into the search box in the top right hand corner and they will come up.