Good Books To Read

sunholidaysun1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A large new building south of Mengrai monument and near the PTT staion just put up their sign yesterday - late afternoon. It is going to be probably the largest book shop in Chiang Rai. DK books (Duang Kamol). I hope they will also have english language books, magazines and novels. DK books used to have a shop near the new clock tower (close to Saenplu hotel).

The DK Books in Chiang Mai is a good shop but I personally prefer the Suriwong Book Centre near the south eastern corner of the moat for new English language books and it's excellent selection of maps.

Gecko in Chiang Mai has nearly always had what I've been looking for and often books that no-one else wil stock.

I watched the religious intelligence squared debate between Tony Blair and Christopher Hitchens (which Hitchens won hands down), which prompted me to re-read God Isn't Great again today, which I liked even more after hearing him debate his case.

Just reading

'Why Marx was right' by Terry Eagleton

very interesting reading, a discussion of how capitalism has become so violent, extreme and oppressive that there is no longer hope for the poor and disenfranchised.

Considering your avatar, I would be very surprised if you disliked this book. ;)

• 1 month later...

a giant DK bookstore is being built by the super hwy, just north of Big C on the same side of the road.

I like Orn's (Peter's) book store. I've bought and sold some good ones there. Among the subjects I like: books about mountaineering/climbing, and books about famous people, particularly musicians. In recent years, haven't read many books, mostly magazine articles and stuff on the internet (science - at the top of the list).

Some ebooks and printed books I've written most of which relate to Thailand.

including a parody of Thaksin - English language on one page, with Thai translation on the following page.

If anyone has a Kindle for sale, let me know.

My personal preference is paper and I am content to keep it that way. Hate it when it gets wet but think what the result could be with an E reader.

I have hundreds of books on my PC but I own the paper version of all of them.

My boxes of books out weighed just about any other item I shipped here.

I dont like to discriminate with books. Must admit I dont like female writing style so I have none. My choice.

Same as fact or fiction makes no difference.

Top of my list would be military fact or fiction with a lot of sci fi thrown in.

All of Drake & Weber, Kratman & Ringo etc.

Have lots of fantasy but lost it with a lot of modern writers. Preffered the older ones.

Plus Stephen King, Koontz etc

While I support and use Gecko I think second hand book shops enter into the aforementioned "theft" cycle. Wont stop me.

All the Kinokuniya, incorrect spelling but I want to go to bed and read, in Bangkok have my vote, new books sorry but agreat range

I even put up with the Khao San roadies to see what the tourists have sold lately.

Off subject question: Khandahar why hasnt Jubby dedicated some music to you? I would have thought "K"andy Man by Sammy D or I want "K"andy by Aaron Carter would

have typified you??

Anyone who likes Patrick O'Brian or CS Forester ought to get their hands on the Nathaniel Drinkwater books by Richard Woodman. He's better than Forester and very possibly as good as O'Brian. His books lack any sort of romance and are all about serious swashbuckling. Well worth the trouble of searching out.

Have just finished reading "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead".

A biography on Warren Zevon by his ex-wife Crystal.

Includes lots of excerpts from his personal diary,

which he gave permsission to use. A real pager turner.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

Off subject question: Khandahar why hasnt Jubby dedicated some music to you? I would have thought "K"andy Man by Sammy D or I want "K"andy by Aaron Carter would

have typified you??

I have told him that my wife sings me to sleep with those two songs, every night, in her soft, sweet, beautiful Thai accent. But I suspect he is already searching for a nice YouTube video to dedicate to you. I can't wait!