International Roaming With 1-2-call

Freddie_fly

I don't usually turn my phone on when overseas, but needed a number on a recent trip to London, I was suprised to find both a signal (Vodaphone), and received a couple of messages from AIS. The First said:

"Lets keep in touch with your friends and enjoy freedom Planet promotion that enables you to use your mobile when travelling abroad with cost saving"

The second:

"Now you can use your One-2-Call Mobile to make call by pressing *131*(country code)(mobile no.) or receivecall while roaming abroad, have a nice trip."

I kept the messages in case they are useful for any future trips, and like you have pre-paid 1-2-Call

Hope of some use

all my Malaysian and Singapore numbers do HAVE roaming, but with 1-2-call prepaid I never received any signal.... not in South-East-Asia, and of course not in Europe..... maybe need to apply for roaming at a 1-2-call shop first..... but:

"I asked at my localAIS shop just before leaving the coutry to go to work,but the girl there was a little clueless."

yes, they are all clueless there..... I dont trust them..... yesterady I went to SEACON to get my 1-2-call number working for MMS..... and it took them 25 minutes (!!) playing with my HP (Samsung 400) to fix it..... (no they didnt send many messages to their friends from my HP, the credit was still the same after leaving the AIS-shop :o )

I dont have any roaming from DTAC number as well...... hummmmmm

Is it possible to have international roaming with a pre-paid 1-2-call SIM card??.

I asked at my localAIS shop just before leaving the coutry to go to work,but the girl there was a little clueless. If possible, how to get it set up??

regards

Freddie

Call 1175 (from your mobile), press 2 for an english-speaking CSR. Be prepared to prove you are the owner by answering some questions about your recent top-up history (Maybe you saved the most recent SMS you received when you last topped-up? Thye are looking for the date and amount.) Ask to have intrnational roaming enabled. They might ask what countries you plan to visit as the calling procedures might be different. It used to be that you sent an SMS containing cerain prefixes along with the number you are calling, then the account is verified, a call placed to the destination and then a call placed to your mobile, and you get connected. The far-end, when they answer, might hear something like, "please wait for your call". I am not sure how it works today, nor if you can receive in-coming international calls while outside Thailand?

It is probably best to just purchase a pre-paid SIM in the country (ies) you are visiting? Also you can enable voicemail on your One-2-Call number (again use the 1175 call center to enable), and leave a personal greeting. Voicemail definietly works if your phone is turned off and/or you are outside the country.

They are also responsive to emails: [email protected]

Edited by lomatopo

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the Info, Yes they were very responsive to Emails and the survice was turned on the next day. As my ship had just docked in Aberdeen I could test it and all worked correctly.

I travel to so many countries that buying a sim in everyone is not really practical, unless anyone knows where to buy a stylish "sim organiser".

cheers

Freddie

My 12call works in Aus

Thanks for the Info, Yes they were very responsive to Emails and the survice was turned on the next day. As my ship had just docked in Aberdeen I could test it and all worked correctly.

I travel to so many countries that buying a sim in everyone is not really practical, unless anyone knows where to buy a stylish "sim organiser".

cheers

Freddie

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow-up, I found this informaiton in a recent email from 1-2-Call/AIS

To subscribe for international roaming you have to dial *125 which is free of charge.

To make outgoing call while roaming : dial the format *131*country code area code phone number# (removing the lead zero)

For example : *131*6622719000#

## Sending SMS while roaming is not supported##

And to retrieve your voice mail while you are in U.S.A. you have to dial *131**99#. And you will be charged like making call back to Thailand .

VAS_Freedom_Planet.doc12call_IR_Eng.doc12call_IR_tariff.doc

• Like 1

When I Arrived in Thailand I switched on my Cell phone and found that My cingular sim card was working fine but if I used it here I would be billed at 1.99 US a min. as I was told that they have an agreement with 12 Call.

Needless to say I passed and got a Thai Sim :o

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I think all SE asia sim cards have international roaming, just a case of speaking to the network customer service to activate. On my recent trip around SE Asia I used the following SIM cards and I was able to activate international roaming by calling the networks customer service...

Beeline Cambodia

Celcom XPAX Malaysia

AIS 1-2-CALL Thailand

Unitel Sabaidee Laos

and also True InterSIM in Thailand only 1baht/min to UK!!

I actually used a mix of Skype calls and the local sim cards to call back home, as sometimes Skype was not good quality probably due to slow internet connection in the country areas! I spent most of my time in Malaysia, and I decided to buy the XPAX Malaysia sim card before I travelled. I could then give out my number to the family before leaving home, I got it from this site

Edited by Crossy
Commercial URL removed