Bangkok Vs Pattaya

The Mask

I was having a discussion today about the cost of living in Bangkok vs Pattaya, it seems to me that the two are the same these days. I would welcome others opinions as I dont know Bangkok that well.

Thanks,

Bangkok is more expensive

We just moved from BKK (phuttamonthon area) to Na Jomtien area, and most things in the discount stores are more expensive by several baht over the same stores in BKK. But that being said living here is much nicer too. :o

Beachbunny

Certain things, and services in BKK are a little more than different provinces in Thailand, too, if you lifestyle is more like -high maintence, anywhere you live it going to be expensive. But overall services in BKK is much better then anywhere in Thailand.

Hotels and tourist areas more expensive in Bkk......but I recently stayed in a family home near the airport and the local prices were the same as for locals in Pattaya.....

so the Thai cost of living is equal....the farang cost of living is higher.. :o:D

I guess rental of accomodation is way cheaper in the greater Pattaya area compared to BKK (outside the tourist traps of course).

Considering this is one of the major expense posts people have this might free up some cash for other activities :o

Money spent on transport around town will be a lot less as well!

Eating out tends to be cheaper as well, with lots of choice concentrated in a relative small town.

My experience, six months 50% partner in a Pattaya bar (don't ask), last 2 years in BKK doing export. Rent short term and long-term and the stuff of general everyday life is cheaper in Pattaya. A few pluses for Bangkok, some things are easier to find in BKK or unavailable in Pattaya, cart food is a lot more varied and better in BKK. Plus for Pattaya, if you've got a motosigh, you can be ANYWHERE in the area in 15 minutes. You can chill at the beach any time you want on 5 minutes notice. Girls in general in Pattaya a little less "professional" (a plus for me) on average.