Non Imm B Length?

Afternoon all,

A question, I have a Non B given on the 25th Nov 2004 and the WP from Feb 2005.

Today the 22nd August I visited Surat Imm for the 90 day report given by Mr Happy....and if you know Surat Imm you know who I mean!! given the ok but not till the 19th Nov only till the 7th Nov, whereupon Mr Happy announced that it was the end of my Non B, though I could get an extension.

Now Mr Happy is far from the title his name suggests, as any of you would know if you have had the misfortune to have to deal with him.

My understanding is your Non B lasts for 15 months? I believed I was entitled to another 90 days from today and then a further 90 days which would have taken me upto the renewal of the WP in Feb 2006.

So there is a little confusion here. My work contract began on the 8th Nov 2004.

Any info would be appreciated.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

You entered Thailand when, with what?

You extended your stay when until when?

You obtained a work permit valid until when?

Your passport should answer your questions as any extension of stay will have a date on it.

An extension of stay is never valid longer than 12 months.

A multi entry visa does not require address reporting and you are not allowed in country longer than 90 days.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

You entered Thailand when, with what? with Non Imm B which you need to work...correct? On Nov 25th 2004 as stated

You extended your stay when until when? Now what are you talking about?

You obtained a work permit valid until when? If the work permit was given in Feb

2005 then its valid till Feb 2006.

Your passport should answer your questions as any extension of stay will have a date on it. Yes it does 7th Nov 2005

An extension of stay is never valid longer than 12 months.

A multi entry visa does not require address reporting and you are not allowed in country longer than 90 days.

Lop, I will spell it out for you.

I stated clearly it was a Non B for a work permit so what don't you understand?

Obviously for a work permit you need to report every 90 days.....right?

So I guess the simple ? is, what do I have to do to extend the Non B?

Is it the schools responsibility?

My mistake is having had the Multi Non B before, where you could get 15 months by leaving the country. This time its a single entry.

Lop, I will spell it out for you.

I stated clearly it was a Non B for a work permit so what don't you understand?

Obviously for a work permit you need to report every 90 days.....right?

You ARE stubborn, aren't you?

Lopburi, whom I have come to recognise as the expert on such questions as yours, has asked you some very simple questions that you could have answered easily merely by looking at the stamps in your passport.

Aside from that, you seem to be mixing up work permit with visa. The 90-day reporting requirement has nothing to do with your work permit, but everything with your visa, respectively with the length of stay granted you (stamped in your passport) based on that visa and subsequent extensions of it, if any.

Be a good chap and answer Lopburi’s questions.

Lest you be innocently unaware of the confusion you have created, not just for Lopburi but also for all others reading your post, let me explain it in some more detail.

90-day reporting requirement and work permit: I have already mentioned that one has nothing to do with the other.

...I have a Non B given on the 25th Nov 2004

A visa stamp has two dates on it:

1) the date when it was issued

2) the date until when it can be utilized for entry into Thailand

Your statement seems to indicate that your visa was issued on 25 Nov 2004. Is that correct?

Another question, though it may not be material but may help to clear up a possible misunderstanding: on what date did you enter Thailand on the basis of that visa?

What "permitted to stay until..." date was stamped in you passport when you entered Thailand?

Today the 22nd August I visited Surat Imm for the 90 day report given by Mr Happy

The Immigration Officer (your "Mr. Happy") does not give you a 90-day report. If anything, he gives you the blank form, you fill it out and YOU submit (give) it to the Immmigration Officer.

and...given the ok but not till the 19th Nov only till the 7th Nov.

Your submission of the 90-day report requires no "OK" or any other action by the Immigration Officer. At most, he can confirm that you submitted it within the required deadline and if you did not, he can fine your for the delayed submission.

and...given the ok but not till the 19th Nov only till the 7th Nov.

You cite the date of 19 Nov without any context. Where did you get this date from?

My understanding is your Non B lasts for 15 months? I believed I was entitled to another 90 days from today and then a further 90 days which would have taken me upto the renewal of the WP in Feb 2006.

Your permission to stay in Thailand granted on the basis of your visa, any visa, is exactly until the date stamped in your passport upon your entry into Thailand or the expiration date of any extension of your permission to stay stamped in the passport.

So I guess the simple ? is, what do I have to do to extend the Non B?

Is it the schools responsibility?

The responsibility to apply for an extension of permission to stay is principally with you, the passport holder. If your employer offers to handle the paperwork for you, good for you, but you still have to submit the application in person.

To apply for an extension of your permission to stay you need the application form T7 which you can get from the Immigration Office or download from http://www.thaivisa.com/forms/tm7.doc and print out. Fill it out and submit it to the Immigration Office together with any other documents your “Mr. Happy” will be happy to tell you are required if you ask him nicely enough.

And read the notice at the bottom of that form. Whether you are granted an extension, and how long, is entirely at the discretion of the Immigration Office. It is not unreasonable to expect that it should be until the expiration of your work permit, but you have no absolute claim to this.

Edited by maestro

The more I look at your original post, the more I find it interesting: a genuine case study in obfuscation.

I have a Non B given on the 25th Nov 2004 and the WP from Feb 2005.

upto the renewal of the WP in Feb 2006.

At the beginning of your post, you give the starting date of your work permit (WP) and only at the end the date when its renewal will fall due. That settles at least one question: your work permit currently expires in February 2006.

So there is a little confusion here. My work contract began on the 8th Nov 2004.

Confusion, indeed! The fact that you even mention the starting date of your work contract gives the impression that this is an important fact. But important in what way?

and if you know Surat Imm you know who I mean!!  given the ok but not till the 19th Nov only till the 7th Nov

(That should be “whom I mean”. You mentioned “school”. Is it English you teach?)

That 7 Nov is exactly one year after the start of your work contract. Is this perhaps why the starting date of your work contract is important? Is this contract for one year and expires on 7 Nov 2005? Did you show this work contract to the Immigration Officer?

We are left to guess.

My understanding is your Non B lasts for 15 months?

Please be careful not to mix up “visa” with “permission to stay until…” or “permission to remain until…” (I am not sure exactly what text gets stamped into passports nowadays)

Before you continue reading, take out your passport and open it at the page where your non-immigrant visa is stamped.

Ready?

Your visa, no visa, lasts for 15 months. It is valid (lasts) until the “must be utilized until…” date stamped on the visa. You have never told us on what date your visa was ISSUED but you said that it was given on 25 Nov 2004, leading us, at least me, to believe that is was issued on that date. This date may be important for some of your assumptions.

Now comes the next step. On a certain, to us unknown, date after the issue date of your visa (which for now we assume to be 25 Nov 2004), you entered Thailand. At this moment, your visa was used and, if it was a single-entry visa, became invalid. In fact, the immigration officer probably stamped “USED” across the visa stamp. This date of entry into Thailand may be important for some of your assumptions, but at this point I cannot be sure.

I believed I was entitled to another 90 days from today and then a further 90 days

Now, that “today” is interesting. It leads your readers to believe that your current permission to stay expires today, 22 August. This can only mean that either the permission to stay stamped in your passport when you entered Thailand on the basis of the afore-mentioned visa was until 22 Aug 2005, or it was for a shorter period and you subsequently applied for and obtained an extension until 22 Aug 2005. The fact that in a later post in this thread you ask for information on how to obtain an extension seems to indicate that you have so far never made an application for extension, that you were granted permission to stay until 22 Aug 2005 when you entered Thailand, presumably some time towards the end of November 2004. But again, we are left to guess.

That “entitled” is also interesting. Your are entitled to absolutely nothing, except to APPLY for an extension of permission to stay. Always be clear about that!

But why apply only for 90 days? Why not apply until the current expiration date of your work permit (a date in February 2006, you have told us)? That would make a lot more sense, wouldn’t it?

Edited by maestro

I think he's confusing the 'activation' dates on the Non-imm B with the actual individual 90 days stamps (thus his reference to getting 15 months of cover, which you only get if you don't have/use a WP to extend....and even then it's individual lots of 90 days, not 15 months per se).

Edited by kenkannif

My god - what a nightmare of a thread!

Let's start sorting things out - not for any direct participants, but for all the other confused souls.

Let's see- where to start?

A work permit cannot be issued for a period longer than the entry permit. So - the original poster says his work permit (little blue booklet) has a validity date until February 2006. If this is correct, then he must have an entry permit valid until that date. So - he need do nothing.

A "visa" is something different than an "entry permit." A visa is generally issued outside of Thailand, and allows entry into Thailand - and the type of visa determines the classification and length of validity of the entry permit that will be issued as you enter Thailand. A work-related visa is generally a Class B visa - and it can be issued as either a single-entry 90 day visa, or as a multiple-entry one year visa.

Regardless of which version of the visa you get, when you enter Thailand, you will receive a 90 day entry permit. If you had only a single-entry visa when you entered, it is cancelled and GONE once you are in Thailand. If you exit Thailand within the 90 days, you can obtain a re-entry permit that lets you come back in - but only until the original 90 day expiration date of your original entry permit.

If you get the one-year multiple entry visa, then it is possible to stretch out a series of 90 day entry permits to cover almost 15 months. This is because each and every time you enter Thailand with a multiple-entry visa, you get a fresh 90 day entry permit. This includes - if you exit and reenter Thailand one day before the one year visa expires, you still get 90 day entry permit. But - for this final entry permit, if the user exits Thailand, he must get a reentry permit - because his visa is also dead and gone once its expiration date is reached.

The references to "90 day reports" alludes to the fact that if you are here on an EXTENDED entry permit (which is an entirely different topic), you do not have to ever exit Thaikand - but you are supposed to report your address to Immigration every 90 days - in person, or by mail, or by someone going for you. Just your passport (or a copy of relevant pages) needs to go to Immigration.

A work permit has nothing whatsoever to do with 90 day reports, or with reentry permits, or with single entry visas. Having a work permit does make you ELIGIBLE to apply for an extended entry permit - but it does not really have much influence on whether you are approved for an extended permit.

What made this thread so confusing is that the original poster somewhat mixed together details that do not seem to make sense. In order to have a work permiytvalid until February 2006, he must have an extended entry permit valid until at least that date. If he has such an extended entry permit, then his visa status means little - a visa ceases to have much meaning once you start stringing together extended entry permits. My last visa was a single entry 90 day Class O visa issued in November 2002 - and it expired in February 2003 - and I do not care about visas, because I do not need a visa to continue extending my entry permit status.

Cheers!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Now Mr Happy is far from the title his name suggests, as any of you would know if you have had the misfortune to have to deal with him.

I just can't imagine why he would be unhappy if he got an indignant earfull of what we're seeing here. :o

Any chance this is a "B-A" visa?