‘I Was Abused And Held Captive’ Says British Woman Facing Death For Drugs

george

‘I was abused and held captive’ says British woman facing death for drugs

orton-daily-mail.jpg

Shivaun and Ram Naruzal Shima heading for court

Dressed in orange prison robes and handcuffed to a fellow

suspect, this is the daughter of a British nuclear scientist facing

the death penalty in Malaysia for drugs trafficking.

Kemaman, Terengganu, Malaysia: -- Shivaun Orton, 41, and her husband were arrested after police found £16,000 of cannabis, amphetamine, ecstasy and heroin during a raid on their home.

If found guilty, she could become the first British woman to be hanged since Ruth Ellis in 1955. But yesterday she insisted she was innocent. She said that while her Malaysian husband Abdul Harris Badileh was a womanising drug user, she had been kept as a virtual prisoner at their home 12 miles from a beach resort they own.

Miss Orton’s late father Mike worked at the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment in Aldermaston, Berkshire, for 36 years. She grew up in the Welsh coastal town of Harlech but has lived in Malaysia since 1995.

Yesterday she wept as she told how she had arrived at her present predicament.

Having passed her A-levels, Miss Orton left for the U.S., where she did an arts degree at Miami University. It was there that she met her husband-to-be. Despite her mother Shirley’s disapproval of the relationship, they married and 15 years ago moved to Malaysia, although she always kept her British passport and surname.

She said she left America with about £20,000, with which she helped her husband set up the Ranting Resort, a group of chalets in Cherating. They have two sons, Jacob, 16, and Isaac, 14.

ortonhusband.jpg

Husband: Abdul Harris

‘I soon learned what it was like to be an Islamic bride,’ she said. ‘My husband insisted I live across the border in Terengganu, which is a strict Islamic state and which I call Taliban Land. I cannot go out by myself. I have to cover up. I am there to serve my husband and family.

‘My husband on the other hand was out all the time, often with women and taking drugs. What angered me most was that the women were of no class at all, just tarts.

‘It got so bad that in 2003 I packed my bags and got in the car. I had made it almost 200 kilometres and was within an hour of Kuala Lumpur and the airport and a flight back to London when I was stopped by police at a checkpoint near a [more...].

Full story: http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2010/12/21/i-was-raped-and-held-captive-says-british-woman-facing-death-for-drugs/

-- by Andrew Drummond 2010-12-21 in The Times.

Another sad and tragic story. I am trying to avoid slamming religions, so enough said...

I don't think you are slamming a particular religion. Anyone who has read "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali will

understand your point very well.

Latest story here

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2010/12/24/death-charges-confirmed-on-british-woman-in-malaysia/

It says she was remanded not that she's been charged so the "facing the death penalty" is a bit of a beat up

Certainly not the first instance such as this.

In a similar context Australia had two kids abducted by their Malaysian prince father back in 1992 and never were able to get them back

Kidnapping our Kids

Facing the ‘long drop’- The controversy over Shivaun Orton

Briton Shivaun Orton faces death in Malaysia for drugs trafficking. But was she a trafficker or a victim? And will she be able to convince authorities she had no choice? A comment by Andrew Drummond.

Times have changed in the execution business. In the old days I guess one took along one’s knitting and applauded as Madame Guillotine sliced off heads in Revolutionary Paris.

Or in London one could jeer and shout from a specially erected grandstand at Tyburn (Marble Arch).

Today, seemingly facing the inevitable path to death row in Malaysia, 41-yr-old British mother Shivaun Orton is the target for critics on internet forums, most of whom seem to be of the opinion that she deserved what was coming to her.

Shivaun Orton

But as a journalist myself I can hardly escape criticism that I was there in Malaysia myself visiting Shivaun because of widespread interest, much of which may have been morbid.

The fact is that I am not new to trials and executions in Malaysia. In fact, after a Papal Tour in the Philippines and a brief spell chasing a wayward English [more...]

Full story: http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2011/01/03/facing-the-long-drop-the-controversy-over-shivaun-orton/

-- Adrew-Drummond.com 2011-01-03

footer_n.gif

sad tale but she should not get to calll other women 'tarts' when she did not listen to her parents and she did not leave him after the first abuse.

At least those tarts' get abused for money

This is coming from someone who dislikes those "tarts"

Edited by DougLee