Non-immigrant Visa Type 'o' - Documents Required?

Hi,

I'll soon be heading to Penang with hopes of getting a multiple-entry non-immigrant type 'O' visa (I'm married to a Thai and not over 50).

I've spent a lot of time searching and browsing posts at ThaiVisa.com and various other websites (e.g. Thai MFA - http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php) and I believe I've got all my paperwork up together with one exception; a medical certificate.

My first question then; do I actually need a medical certificate?

The Thai MFA website lists a medical certificate as a requirement only for an 'O-A' (retirement) visa but other information on the internet seems to either conflict with that, or at best be ambiguous. In any case, the MFA give their consulate officers a nice get out with the following statement: -

Consular officers reserve the rights to request for additional document as deemed necessary.

Which doesn't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside as I dread being told in Penang to produce "document xyz", either not in my possession or back home in Chiang Mai.

So my second question is; would someone be so kind as to glance over my list of documents and tell me if I'm missing something?

1) Application Form TM7

2) Passport + copy (with at least 6 months validity)

3) Two Passport Photos - 4x6cm

4) Marriage Certificate (original)

5) Copy of wife's ID card (as evidence to identify that the supporter or the person being supported has Thai nationality or has residence in Thailand)

I'm not sure if it's required, but the photocopies of my wife's ID card have been signed by her as correct, as has the copy of the house registration document on which my wife is registered (her father's) which I'm also taking along for good measure.

I'm also taking along my daughter's birth certificate (she's Thai), although I don't believe it's required as I'm applying for the visa on the basis of supporting my wife.

I'd be grateful for any helpful advice on the issues above.

Many thanks.

Edited by pinballki

No you do not need a medical certificate and you only need a single entry visa if you plan to extend your stay on the basis of supporting a Thai wife (you do that at immigration after being here 60 days). For that visa you could use any Consulate. For the multi, if you want more time to find employment or obtain funds for bank account of 400k the trip to Penang is indeed your best bet. Keyed to your list:

1. NA TM.7 is only used for extension of stay - you fill out the document the specific Consulate gives you to fill out.

2. You should have more than 18 months validity if you apply for a multi entry although Thailand is not strict with the normal 6 months after departure rule.

3. Correct although there may be places that require more.

4. Copy was always also required for them to keep but no current experience.

5. Correct.

Some may also request a short letter from wife that you currently live together so good idea to have if wife not with you.

The birth certificate is good extra documentation.

You are requesting a visa to visit your wife - nothing more. This has nothing to do with extension of stay performed at immigration

lopburi3,

Thank you for replying so quickly - your comments are much appreciated. I didn't think about asking my wife to write a quick letter, but I can certainly see the sense in it - I'm readying the pen and paper as we speak.

All your other comments - noted - thank you.

One last question.

Coming back into Thailand (Bangkok Airport) from Penang, will I be asked to show evidence of being able to support myself while being here, the same as I've often had to do at Mae Sai (albeit on a tourist Visa)? If so, how much cash should I have with me? 20k, 40k?

Hoping you can answer this one too :-)

You should have 20k with you because you will have a visa entry. Not likely to be asked if dressed ok; but perhaps more likely than in the past.

The 10k would be entry without visa for 30 days. And the higher 40k for a family entry together with visa.

lopburi3,

Again, thank you. You've really helped to put my mind at ease. Whilst I fully expect there to be some kind of curveball thrown at me somewhere during my Chiang Mai - Bangkok - Penang round trip, I'm now as sure as I can be that my documents are in order and I'm confident that I'm well prepared in general.

With a little luck hopefully my trip will be smooth, my non-immigrant visa will be granted and I can come back to Chiang Mai and get on with life. That's my hope ;-)

I'm more than happy to post about my experience in Penang on my return if a) anyone is interested and B) it's deemed appropriate. Just reply to this post if you have a view one way or the other.

Thanks again, lopburi3 - you taking the time to reply to my question has made a real difference to my peace of mind.

WoW! What great info... I have a twist to the problem.... I am looking more for residency.... I notice the info I find states you have to travel to Thailand for 3 years.... I travel every 3-4 months and due to my work in another country I can never stay long. So, I show travel but never stay for more than 30 days... (until this FEB) . I plan to live the rest of my life with my wife in Thailand. So here are my questions....

1. Do I need a year long visa 3 times to qualify for residency?

2. Will 3 years of travel sufice even though I dont stay longer than 30 days(no visa required)?

3. I am also thinking of starting a Thai company....should I apply for that visa instead?

4. I also have a Diplomatic passport.... Do I even need to hassle with any of this?

5. I want to purchase a house with my wife in NOV or FEB. Can I be on the deed with my wife?

So many questions , so many choices.... I am sure your answers will lead to more... thanks....

A couple of weeks ago, I obtained a "Married" Visa at the Immigration Office in Bangkok. I had gone there 6 weeks earlier. I previously had had a "Retirement" Visa for 2 years (one year at a time).

When I first went, 5 weeks prior to receiving the "Married" Visa, I had with me a statement from my bank showing more than 400,000 baht, a Certificate of Health from Bumrumgrad Hospital (minimal exam that took 10 minutes), a copy of my Marriage Certificate (from the local Amphur) and, in person, my Thai wife.

I was told, I could have a new, 1 year "retirement" Visa immediately. Or, I could produce pictures of my wife and I in our home (apartment) and potentially, Immigration would visit my home sometime in the next month, and then I could receive a "Married" Visa. The next day, my wife delivered some pictures of us in our apartment, in the hallway outside the apartment, and in front of the building we live in.

As mentioned earlier, 5 weeks after the initial visit, I returned to the Immigration Office (oh, forgot to mention, I had received a temporary Married Thai Visa at the end of the 1st visit) and received a 1 year "Married" Visa. I don't believe anyone from Immigration visited my apartment building.

WoW!  What great info... I have a twist to the problem.... I am looking more for residency.... I notice the info I find states you have to travel to Thailand for 3 years.... I travel every 3-4 months and due to my work in another country I can never stay long.  So, I show travel but never stay for more than 30 days... (until this FEB) .  I plan to live the rest of my life with my wife in Thailand.  So here are my questions....

1.  Do I need a year long visa 3 times to qualify for residency?

2.  Will 3 years of travel sufice even though I dont stay longer than 30 days(no visa required)?

3.  I am also thinking of starting a Thai company....should I apply for that visa instead?

4.  I also have a Diplomatic passport.... Do I even need to hassle with any of this?

5.  I want to purchase a house with my wife in NOV or FEB.  Can I be on the deed with my wife? 

So many questions , so many choices.... I am sure your answers will lead to more... thanks....

From the looks of your questions I think you still have plenty of research to do. I guess that is why you are here so here is my contribution. Permanent Residency is not easily obtained and only a few are handed out every year. There are several requirements including the need to pass a test in Thai language.

To cover your questions.

1) You need to extend your visa by one year for three years running.

2) No.

3) Starting a Thai company and getting a visa are two diffrent issues. What will your Thai company be for - do you want to work or do you just want to use it to own land or property.

4) Not sure but I don't think it makes any difference.

5) I believe you can own the house but not the land it is built on.

Permanent residence really isn't necessary for a comfortable retirement in Thailand and most expats do not have it. As long as you meet the requirments you can just keep extending your visa every year. If you really want PR it will be hard work.

A couple of weeks ago, I obtained a "Married" Visa at the Immigration Office in Bangkok. I had gone there 6 weeks earlier. I previously had had a "Retirement" Visa for 2 years (one year at a time).
Actually what you did was change from long stay for retirement extension to support Thai wife extension of stay. The retirement can be given immediately but the support will require a check each year and two visits to immigration (or more). The photos probably saved them physically checking your living arrangements. You should not need a medical certificate for that type of extension so you can save that expense next year. Just be sure to have that letter from your bank and passbook and the all important wife. She will always have to be with you when you apply for new extensions of stay. And if you want to change back to retirement she will also have to attend to sign off that she knows about it.

You should have 20k with you because you will have a visa entry.  Not likely to be asked if dressed ok; but perhaps more likely than in the past.

The 10k would be entry without visa for 30 days.  And the higher 40k for a family entry together with visa.

Mr Lopburi,

I am new to some of this so please forgive my ignorance. I thought the 20k you mentioned earlier was only for entry with a tourist visa. Is it also for applying for a non-immigrit o visa as well?

I thought the only financial requirement was 400,000 baht in the bank or a pension of only 40k/month.

With all the different types of visa, sometimes I do get confused.

You should have 20k with you because you will have a visa entry.  Not likely to be asked if dressed ok; but perhaps more likely than in the past.

The 10k would be entry without visa for 30 days.  And the higher 40k for a family entry together with visa.

Mr Lopburi,

I am new to some of this so please forgive my ignorance. I thought the 20k you mentioned earlier was only for entry with a tourist visa. Is it also for applying for a non-immigrit o visa as well?

I thought the only financial requirement was 400,000 baht in the bank or a pension of only 40k/month.

If you enter on (any) visa you are required to have 20k. The 400k/40k are for extensions of stay within Thailand and have nothing to do with entry. A non immigrant O visa is just another visa and does not require 400k/40k to obtain.

Perhaps if we think of 30 day for entry without visa need 10k to cover expense.

60 or 90 day requires 20k to cover expense.

Edited by lopburi3

WoW!  What great info... I have a twist to the problem.... I am looking more for residency.... I notice the info I find states you have to travel to Thailand for 3 years.... I travel every 3-4 months and due to my work in another country I can never stay long.  So, I show travel but never stay for more than 30 days... (until this FEB) .  I plan to live the rest of my life with my wife in Thailand.  So here are my questions....

2.  Will 3 years of travel sufice even though I dont stay longer than 30 days(no visa required)?

3.  I am also thinking of starting a Thai company....should I apply for that visa instead?

4.  I also have a Diplomatic passport.... Do I even need to hassle with any of this?

5.  I want to purchase a house with my wife in NOV or FEB.  Can I be on the deed with my wife? 

From the looks of your questions I think you still have plenty of research to do. I guess that is why you are here so here is my contribution. Permanent Residency is not easily obtained and only a few are handed out every year. There are several requirements including the need to pass a test in Thai language.

To cover your questions.

2) No.

3) Starting a Thai company and getting a visa are two diffrent issues. What will your Thai company be for - do you want to work or do you just want to use it to own land or property.

Permanent residence really isn't necessary for a comfortable retirement in Thailand and most expats do not have it. As long as you meet the requirments you can just keep extending your visa every year. If you really want PR it will be hard work.

Is there a way I can get the one year visa and extension in Bangkok? It appears not.... I only ask because I work in Iraq and like to spend every minute away from this place in the arms of my Thai Wife. Not traveling and wasting time...

The company I am talking about is a small island resort. I want to buy or build a small island resort and buy rental property.

I know I can own the house but not the land but.... If I do it under a company name I think I can own 49%... also there are some variances for US Citizens... do you know exactly what they are?

To cover your questions.

2) No.

Is there a way I can get the one year visa and extension in Bangkok? It appears not.... I only ask because I work in Iraq and like to spend every minute away from this place in the arms of my Thai Wife. Not traveling and wasting time...

The company I am talking about is a small island resort. I want to buy or build a small island resort and buy rental property.

I know I can own the house but not the land but.... If I do it under a company name I think I can own 49%... also there are some variances for US Citizens... do you know exactly what they are?

You need to get the initial visa at a Thai Consul or Embassy outside of Thailand, Penang is a good choice if you can not do it where you are. After that you can get the extensions at your local immigration office in Thailand.

Yes you can own 49% of a Thai company and that company can then own land. You can also make your wife a shareholder in the company or set it up

with non-active Thai shareholders who you will never see so the company is in effect totally under your control.

There are variances for US citizens but I don't know the full details.

Mr Lopburi,

If you enter on (any) visa you are required to have 20k. The 400k/40k are for extensions of stay within Thailand and have nothing to do with entry. A non immigrant O visa is just another visa and does not require 400k/40k to obtain.

Perhaps if we think of 30 day for entry without visa need 10k to cover expense.

60 or 90 day requires 20k to cover expense.

Richard ...........extract from Immigration3 website.....(just to confirm Lop's post) :o

Immigration clarifies cash requirement rule

Immigration clarifies cash requirement rule at Arayaprathet Immigration Thai - cambodia border (Poipet)

Immigration clarifies cash requirement rule

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 6 February B.E.2538 (1995), 8 December B.E. 2541 (1998) 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002) and 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002) , passport holders from countries do not require a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes if their stay in the Kingdom does not exceed 30 days.

- The applicant must possess instrument of means of living expenses 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.

• 30-day “on arrival” visa: 10,000 baht (20,000 baht for families traveling together);

• 60 day tourist visa or non-immigrant visa: 20,000 baht (40,000 baht per family);

Children under 12 are exempted from the requirement.