Okay, Think I'm Screwed.......

Here's my situation. On June 14, 2005 I turned 49. I have a Thai GF that I may marry someday but it is too soon in our relationship for me to make that decision.

I do plan on retiring to Thailand......I am currently retired here in the US.

I am planning on flying to Thailand in late September 2005. I would really like to get a 'non-immigrant multiple-entry' visa so I don't have to make the constant 'tourist visa runs'. However, after checking the Consulate General (Los Angeles) website it looks as if I don't fit any of the listed 'Types'. So, as far as getting the non-imm multiple-entry visa I think I'm screwed.....am I right? :o

Here is the link: http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-non-im.htm

If you reply please KNOW what you are talking about. And please note......I am only 49 so according to the website I CANNOT get a type 'O-A' (retirement visa) even though I am retired.

Thanks.......... LDB.

I know guys who have retired in LOS long before their half century however you are so close to it why not just get yourself a multi entry "O" and when you hit the "sell by date" then go for it.

You never know after the first 12 months you might decide that it aint for you but as they say........ :D

anyway...bit of info.. :o

Criterias for retirement visa

Initially you must apply for a Non-Immigrant visa before you enter the country from a Thai Embassy abroad. Permission will be for 90 days. for the first permit (single entry) but you can apply for a multiple max one year stay in Thailand.

Requirements:

Application form T.M.7

Copy of passport or substitute document.

One 4 x 6 cm photo.

500 baht fee.

Proof of financial status or pension.

Letter from your embassy saying you wish to retire in Thailand For an applicant who is over 50 years old, proof of a sum of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank OR an income of not less than 65,000 baht per month must be presented - OR a combination of balance in the bank and a monthly income. Example: 400,000 Baht in the bank and 32,500 Baht coming in every month.

If the alien is ill, or has weak health and is sensitive to colder climates or has resided in Thailand for a long period, and is 50-59 years old, special circumstances may be given. The applicant must also submit medical certificates and proof that he/she lived in Thailand for a long time. For info: Tel: (02) 287-3905 or 287-3101-10 (ext 2259-61) or ask us.

I know guys who have retired in LOS long before their half century however you are so close to it why not just get yourself a multi entry "O" and when you hit the "sell by date" then go for it.

You never know after the first 12 months you might decide that it aint for you but as they say........ :D

anyway...bit of info.. :D

Criterias for retirement visa

Initially you must apply for a Non-Immigrant visa before you enter the country from a Thai Embassy abroad. Permission will be for 90 days. for the first permit (single entry) but you can apply for a multiple max one year stay in Thailand.

Requirements:

Application form T.M.7

Copy of passport or substitute document.

One 4 x 6 cm photo.

500 baht fee.

Proof of financial status or pension.

Letter from your embassy saying you wish to retire in Thailand For an applicant who is over 50 years old, proof of a sum of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank OR an income of not less than 65,000 baht per month must be presented - OR a combination of balance in the bank and a monthly income. Example: 400,000 Baht in the bank and 32,500 Baht coming in every month.

If the alien is ill, or has weak health and is sensitive to colder climates or has resided in Thailand for a long period, and is 50-59 years old, special circumstances may be given. The applicant must also submit medical certificates and proof that he/she lived in Thailand for a long time. For info: Tel: (02) 287-3905 or 287-3101-10 (ext 2259-61) or ask us.

Rinrada, according to the website (link below) I DO NOT QUALIFY FOR A TYPE 'O'!!

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-non-im-o.htm

Unless I am reading the website incorrectly......here are the conditions and I don't fit any.

1) For the purpose of visiting family (Type “O”)

(I have no family in Thailand.)

2) To visit as a spouse of a Thai nationality, Fiance and Fiancee are not included in this category.

(Nope, does not fit me.)

3) To visit as an immediate family member of a Thai nationality

(Nope, does not fit me.)

Yes, my problem would be solved if they will grant me the multi-entry type 'O' because it will last me until I'm 50 and then PROBLEM SOLVED.

Are you saying that I should apply even though I don't fit any of the categories and they still might grant me the multi-entry type 'O'???? In other words the web site is a 'general' guide and they might slide me through????

This *crap* is confusing :D:o

Royal Thai Consulate-General

2800 Texas Commerce Tower

Houston Tx 77002-3094

Tel (713) 229 8733

Fax (713) 228 1303

'Call 'em first, outline your situation/intentions, and threy will let you know if they can help you.

They have been known to give out - at their own discretion - Class O visas for "general compassionate" reasons, and also Class B visas for "exploring business opportunities in Thailand."

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

I just down loaded the application form. There is a check-box for 'Non-Immigrant Visa'.....however there is no place to enter the 'type' such as 'B' 'ED' 'O' etc.. How stupid. I guess you just do the best with what they give you.

Ok Doc I found the address in Houston will mail the application there.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :D LDB

Edit: Indo-Siam, I just missed your post. Yes I think this is good advice. I will call them I think and explain the situation. If I get the 'O' then I'm GOOD-TO-GO as I can apply for the 'retirement' visa once I hit 50 in roughly 10 months. :D

Thanks Steve! :o

Edited by LoveDaBlues

In the UK, we can get an "O"-type Non-Imm visa for visiting friends (not just spouse/family). See the link below:

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Ad%20%20...ion%20Notes.pdf

Can't believe that a US citizen would be entitled to anything less - though I've seen many complain that the LA consulate is far from user-friendly. As others have said, you shouldn't have any problem with the Houston consulate.

Similarly, for a UK application, the letter of guarantee can be written by just about anyone - your cousin, your neighbour, whoever.........

Relax :o

In the UK, we can get an "O"-type Non-Imm visa for visiting friends (not just spouse/family). See the link below:

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Ad%20%20...ion%20Notes.pdf

Can't believe that a US citizen would be entitled to anything less - though I've seen many complain that the LA consulate is far from user-friendly. As others have said, you shouldn't have any problem with the Houston consulate.

Similarly, for a UK application, the letter of guarantee can be written by just about anyone - your cousin, your neighbour, whoever.........

Relax  :D

Steve2UK thanks for the reply.

It's strange that the forms are so different.....here is the link for the US application.

http://www.thai-la.net/form/visa-pdf/application.pdf

Looks like they really want you UK blokes in Thailand ('O' type just to visit friends)

and make it harder for us undesirable Americans :o

Anyway I'm relaxed now :D I think there won't be a problem.

Denver is the way to go I used Extensive travel as my reason and here is all the info

I Sent My request to the Denver Thai Consul and before I sent it I sent an email to the Counsel assistant and told her that I wanted a 1 year Multiple Entry Visa and this was her reply

I will need the following to process your Visa request

- Passport

- Visa Application

- 1 Passport Photo

- Money Order for $125 made payable to DW Ringsby

- If applying by mail, a SASE (Express Mail preferred)

You can download the application form at www.thaiembdc.org.

Note she asked for no Letter From a Thai Company so I sent it off yesterday. I have had 4 friends get this visa from the Denver office with out a problem.

COLORADO

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL

1123 AURARIA PKWY, SUITE 200

DENVER, CO 80204

Tel : (303) 892-0118

Fax : (303) 892-0119

E-mail : [email protected]

Honorary Consul-General, Jen Gauthiere

Update on Denver, Colorado from member Louis

office hours are: Monday-Thursday, 9:00am to 12:30pm, and their phone number is:(303)892-0118. Jen is the consul assistant and is most helpful.

Think I'll put "extensive travel to help plan retirement in Thailand" as the reason.  This should cover all bases  :D

Of course I could always put the REAL reason:  'to serve as walking ATM for petite Thai girl'       :D  :D  :o  :D  :D

As one does ... as one does :D Watch out for sick buffalo's too :D

Nah Doc.....sick buffalo is old school. Now it's "Daddy's truck needs new tires"

"Daddy's truck needs new fuel pump".....these Thai girls are evolving :D