Palm Tree Lagoon

zoso

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought I would just post a few pictures of Caho captured at Palm Tree Lagoon in recent months (since September) on here to both answer your question and dispel any nasty rumour’s that I hear from time to time. Palm Tree has some great Caho fishing with fish well in excess of 50kg, what’s more you will regularly catch St Juliens (Yeesok Thai), world record size Catla Catla and Rohu whilst fishing with lum.

There are those you might talk too (on Bungsamran for example) that would make up false stories about Palm Tree, about water quality etc etc to dissuade you from finding out what they already know, that Palm Tree Lagoon is a great little carp fishery. So listen to the wrong people (Thai or Farang) and you get the wrong advice.

We actually had a couple of anglers who had booked Palm Tree say they was told by someone that the water quality was bad at Palm Tree and asked us if we should cancel their booking, of course we said no and to not listen to the misinformation they may hear.

post-32215-0-69386000-1293407830_thumb.j

post-32215-0-61901700-1293407917_thumb.j

post-32215-0-16225600-1293408029_thumb.j

post-32215-0-91399100-1293408121_thumb.j

post-32215-0-86993400-1293408243_thumb.j

post-32215-0-54164300-1293408304_thumb.j

Thank you for your information. I did call Palm Tree last week as we wanted to fish for cahos but the owner told me the pond is closed till after the new year.

The owner is only taking bookings from tour companies until further notice becuase he is negotiating the sale of the fishery with a prospective buyer. There are people on Bungsamran who would if (IF) the fishery changes hands in the direction the owner would wish, likely wish to discredit the fishery, and therefore spread malicious info. All I would say is take a lot of what you hear from certain individuals (whoever told you about water quality) with a pinch of salt. There are some good guides/fishermen with bad characters!

Again thank you for the information. Yes I had been told of the impending sale and condition of water. of the pond. I am only interested in a first hand account of Palm Tree thus intention to fish there. Also it's a silly business marketing if the owners only take bookings from tour companies. This policy will see the demise of the pond. With so much information from the net anglers will bypass the middleman-fishing tour companies.

You seem to be well informed what is your relationship with the pond? An interested party?

Thanks

Why is Palm Tree Lagoon for sale? Anyone know the details price etc? I would love to buy a fishing park....

My guess would be supply and demand. Only so many anglers, many fishing parks and rising...get out whilst the price is at the top end of the market! As more parks come onto the scene then competetion will drive the prices down. As the investment to stock bigger fish will increase and bigger fish cost big bucks. Who knows the real reason?

Why is Palm Tree Lagoon for sale? Anyone know the details price etc? I would love to buy a fishing park....

My guess would be supply and demand. Only so many anglers, many fishing parks and rising...get out whilst the price is at the top end of the market! As more parks come onto the scene then competetion will drive the prices down. As the investment to stock bigger fish will increase and bigger fish cost big bucks. Who knows the real reason?

From what I understand the asking price was 1.8 million baht and also a fishing tour compnay had bought the fishing park. Likely 1.8 million is the takeover fee and is there a monthly rental and duration of lease.?Whether it is finalised is another matter. Also was told the owners netted the fishes and sold them. This is heresay and no confirmation.

Yes it's very tough competition and Palm Tree is a good hour and a half from Bangkok. But the most important factor is what fishes are in the pond that will attract anglers. So whoever are the new operators must have good size fishes and attractive pricing.

I just wonder when we could fish at Palm Tree?

Edited by zoso

I believe there are 5 species of carp in Thailand (correct me if I,m wrong). Personally I would make an effort to visit a fishery that stocked only these species of carp and had no stock of catfish.I believe a water of this type would be of interest to many tourists has carp are possibly the main target fish of many anglers in their own countries,although perhaps I,m being biased towards Europeans.If a fishery of this type is sustainable,I,m not sure.

I believe there are 5 species of carp in Thailand (correct me if I,m wrong). Personally I would make an effort to visit a fishery that stocked only these species of carp and had no stock of catfish.I believe a water of this type would be of interest to many tourists has carp are possibly the main target fish of many anglers in their own countries,although perhaps I,m being biased towards Europeans.If a fishery of this type is sustainable,I,m not sure.

Yes a pond with all carps will be very attractive. The only one I know of being in the making is the second pond at IT Lake Monster. The owner's ambition is to create a pond filled with as many species of carps as possible. Unfortunately it will be end of this year before it's ready for fishing.

• 1 month later...

Palm Tree Lagoon is open for fishing and under new ownership. The day ticket 0800hrs to 1800hrs are :-

1 rod @ 1000baht for carps

1 rod @ 3000baht for predator fishes, arapamais, rtc, chao phraya etc etc ( dead or live bait)

2 rods @ 3500bahts 1 for carps and 1 for predator fishes.

Palm Tree Lagoon is open for fishing and under new ownership. The day ticket 0800hrs to 1800hrs are :-

1 rod @ 3000baht for predator fishes, arapamais, rtc, chao phraya etc etc ( dead or live bait)

My apology, The rates are not correct.

Palm tree was good too bad that food was a bit overpriced and they tried some stunt with the lam bags. Other then that i think the lake is stocked well. Even though we did not catch much. I wont be back there for a while because of the price. Had we caught more i would have been back faster.

I dont mind not catching much at ngau nam because you pay a lot less and its closer by for me.

http://www.palmtreelagoon.co.uk/

This the link to Palm Tree Lagoon Fishing Park.You can check the price listing. But a short run down is

1 rod for predator fish is 4000baht

1 rod for carps is 2000baht

2 rods 1 for predator and 1 rod for carps 5500baht

Initially 7 of us were to make this trip to fish at Palm Tree. 2 couldn't make it Josh fell sick and Steve overslept. So only Dave,Adam,Kalle,Rob and me met at Buangsamran at 6am,engaged a mini bus as we had so much fishing tackles. We headed off at 630am and reached around 830am.

All of us fished 2 rods one for carps and one for predator fishes. The pond provided some live and dead bait and we bought Lum.There are no shelters except near the restaurant, It's a small pond, Fishing is from 8am to 6pm, According to the owner there is one 200kh arapamai and 20 40kg to 70kg arapamais, 2 Chao Phraya Catfish at 90kg and 50 20kg to 60kg. We didn't catch any big ones. My opinion is this pond is under fished and the owner likely have to feed the fishes, To fish the arapamai one need to have a big live bait around 8 to 12 inches. Although we didn't catch any big ones we did catch some rare fishes not found at many ponds and it was a good fishing day with friends and see Rob's remote control bait liner.

Palm tree was good too bad that food was a bit overpriced and they tried some stunt with the lam bags. Other then that i think the lake is stocked well. Even though we did not catch much. I wont be back there for a while because of the price. Had we caught more i would have been back faster.

I dont mind not catching much at ngau nam because you pay a lot less and its closer by for me.

I suppose if you like fishing in the middle of a rubbish tip then ngau nam is the place to go. Next time you go there and catch a Juliens Golden Price Carp, a Black Ear Catfish, a redtail, or even see a 100kg+ arapaima swimming around, or a flying pig, please post the photo on this forum.

Also everone in this group I believe was charged the special promotional rate of 3500baht for 1 carp rod + 1 for predator rod negociated for you by 'boy'.

As for the lam someone in your party rang up and ordered four sacks in advance which the fishery manager had to go and pick up for you and then you decided at the end of the day you didn't want so much after all and sold it back to her.

I suppose if you like fishing in the middle of a rubbish tip then ngau nam is the place to go. Next time you go there and catch a Juliens Golden Price Carp, a Black Ear Catfish, a redtail, or even see a 100kg+ arapaima swimming around, or a flying pig, please post the photo on this forum.

Also everone in this group I believe was charged the special promotional rate of 3500baht for 1 carp rod + 1 for predator rod negociated for you by 'boy'.

As for the lam someone in your party rang up and ordered four sacks in advance which the fishery manager had to go and pick up for you and then you decided at the end of the day you didn't want so much after all and sold it back to her.

I asked for a bucket of lam, my Thai is good enough to order that and hold chit chat. So there was no mistake about that. I came to a compromise by selling it back because i did not want a scene. But it as a rip of as the bag was still 80% full.

You can defend them all you want but this was a rip off.

Furthermore lake wise ngua nam is much better (yours is cleaner but a lot smaller actually a bit too small for my liking) (i take it your the owner). The fact that we were only presented with one decent fish (for live baiting) was an other joke. If they told me i could get more of those fish for a price i would have. Later they were talking in Thai that the airipaima usually only go for the big fish. So why just 1 big fish per person. That means i was fishing with live bait most of the day for nothing.

They put the fish on (i never fished for airipaima) and later blamed me for loosing it (the aripaima) because i used a small hook. Might have been better to tell me first. Like i said i speak enough thai to understand that (and a lot more).

You can't compare this lake with ngau nam as it is a factor 13 more expensive. This lake is good for a day of fun. But that is it its too expensive to do regularly and the catch rate is not that high. Ngua nam looks much better and has shade. Yes there is rubbish on the sides and that is bad. But if that is the worst of it id take it.

Gnau nam is the best lake in Thailand by my opinion. The rubbish is so small an inconvenience that it barely bothers me and it could be removed in 24 hours notice. It's all off behind the park where you can't walk and it's not in the way. I wish they would use bins but it seems to be a Thai habbit.

When you consider that Gnau nam is 150 baht for 12 hours of fishing it's hard for anywhere to beat it. I've never seen anywhere including Bung Samran with a higher quality of strong fish.

3 rods fished for 450 baht. Now that's value! The mekong catfish I catch must average 40kg a time with some going to the 100kg mark.

It seems a bit funny that an experienced group of fishermen could feel ripped off? Doesn't look good for Palm Tree lagoon.

I'd say Gnau nam is the common man's fishing park. No need to mortgage the house for a great time!

It's the reason why right now I travel 20,000kms a couple of times a year to fish.

Gnau nam is the best lake in Thailand by my opinion. The rubbish is so small an inconvenience that it barely bothers me and it could be removed in 24 hours notice. It's all off behind the park where you can't walk and it's not in the way. I wish they would use bins but it seems to be a Thai habbit.

When you consider that Gnau nam is 150 baht for 12 hours of fishing it's hard for anywhere to beat it. I've never seen anywhere including Bung Samran with a higher quality of strong fish.

3 rods fished for 450 baht. Now that's value! The mekong catfish I catch must average 40kg a time with some going to the 100kg mark.

It seems a bit funny that an experienced group of fishermen could feel ripped off? Doesn't look good for Palm Tree lagoon.

I'd say Gnau nam is the common man's fishing park. No need to mortgage the house for a great time!

It's the reason why right now I travel 20,000kms a couple of times a year to fish.

I only felt ripped of because of the lam. A fishery should have lam in stock (i did not order a thing) and they will use it anyway. But to charge me for a bag as all i wanted was a bucket is a bit crazy. I was lucky i saw it on the bill.

Also the fact you only get 1 big fish and later i found out that the small fish you get first are not favoured by the big predator fish. Then you are basically waisting your time trying during the day and then in the last 1-2 hours they come with a big fish. Mind you there was only one real big fish and we had to draw straws to get it. I got it and it was the only fish that got taken (says it all doesnt it).

I cant speak for the others and i wont. I still had a nice day. Even though i was burned to a crips because there is absolutely no shade around the lake (unless you stay at the buildings and then 75% of the lake is not fish able.)

It still was nice because you know the big ones are there and the redtails were nice. But if 5 fishermen with 10 rods get around 12 fish (all of whom not real big) Though my pacu was big. The catch rate is not that good.

At ngau nam currently the catch rate is also not good for the big ones. But its an affordable place in comparison. Like you said its the common mans fishing pond.

If the thing with the lam and the size of bait fish had not happened i would have felt a lot better about the place even if i did not catch much.

Hello Lucky2, I noticed you registered today but never mind this.

When I contacted Boy our interest to fish at Palm Tree Lagoon this was the price quoted to us. We didn't ask for discount.

Second it's true we ordered 4 sacks of Lam as there were 7 of us fishing but 2 were sick so only 5 anglers. But in honesty we could never use 4 sacks of 50kg lam. We anticipated wrongly. Also we didn't fancy carrying 50kg Lam back to Bangkok and Bungsamran will not allow us to use outside Lam. We fished today at Bungsamran 3 rods for mekongs, 1 rod for caho and I fish for Chao Phraya. We used 6 sacks of 30kg Lam. My friends are not extravangrant but we pay for our fishing.

I will fish again at Palm Tree Lagoon. No complains. Can we bring our own Lam and dead/live bait?

This is a fishing forum. To exchange ideas,views and opinions but many times it becomes "personal".

When I contacted Boy our interest to fish at Palm Tree Lagoon this was the price quoted to us. We didn't ask for discount.

Second it's true we ordered 4 sacks of Lam as there were 7 of us fishing but 2 were sick so only 5 anglers. But in honesty we could never use 4 sacks of 50kg lam. We anticipated wrongly. Also we didn't fancy carrying 50kg Lam back to Bangkok and Bungsamran will not allow us to use outside Lam. We fished today at Bungsamran 3 rods for mekongs, 1 rod for caho and I fish for Chao Phraya. We used 6 sacks of 30kg Lam. My friends are not extravangrant but we pay for our fishing.

I will fish again at Palm Tree Lagoon. No complains. Can we bring our own Lam and dead/live bait?

This is a fishing forum. To exchange ideas,views and opinions but many times it becomes "personal".

I did not know about the ordering of the lam. But in reality does a lake not hold stock of lam ? Im pretty sure it does also the price for lam from the mill is around 200 bt so its not that expensive to hold a stock. Its ok to charge 4 times the price (for what is used). The fishery needs money too.

@zoso Just the lam and the fact they only brought out the big fish later. And on top of that the fact we had to draw staws (i was lucky) but we all paid the price for it why did we not all get a similar size fish. For that matter 2 fish or so. I mean we wasted part of the day with fish that were not attractive to the aripaima.

I did not know about the ordering of the lam. But in reality does a lake not hold stock of lam ? Im pretty sure it does also the price for lam from the mill is around 200 bt so its not that expensive to hold a stock. Its ok to charge 4 times the price (for what is used). The fishery needs money too.

@zoso Just the lam and the fact they only brought out the big fish later. And on top of that the fact we had to draw staws (i was lucky) but we all paid the price for it why did we not all get a similar size fish. For that matter 2 fish or so. I mean we wasted part of the day with fish that were not attractive to the aripaima.

Yes you didn't know but Steve was supposed to join us but he was sick. As Steve fished for cahos he expected to chum. Anyway you are right a fishing pond should have Lam on standby. It's our mistake but surely a fishing pond will have no problem with extra Lam.

• 3 weeks later...

I only felt ripped of because of the lam. A fishery should have lam in stock (i did not order a thing) and they will use it anyway. But to charge me for a bag as all i wanted was a bucket is a bit crazy. I was lucky i saw it on the bill.

Also the fact you only get 1 big fish and later i found out that the small fish you get first are not favoured by the big predator fish. Then you are basically waisting your time trying during the day and then in the last 1-2 hours they come with a big fish. Mind you there was only one real big fish and we had to draw straws to get it. I got it and it was the only fish that got taken (says it all doesnt it).

I cant speak for the others and i wont. I still had a nice day. Even though i was burned to a crips because there is absolutely no shade around the lake (unless you stay at the buildings and then 75% of the lake is not fish able.)

It still was nice because you know the big ones are there and the redtails were nice. But if 5 fishermen with 10 rods get around 12 fish (all of whom not real big) Though my pacu was big. The catch rate is not that good.

At ngau nam currently the catch rate is also not good for the big ones. But its an affordable place in comparison. Like you said its the common mans fishing pond.

If the thing with the lam and the size of bait fish had not happened i would have felt a lot better about the place even if i did not catch much.

I don't know who told you that the big predators only come out on large livebaits but it was obviously someone who has not fished Palm Tree Lagoon very often. By far the majority of large predators in particular the arapaima come out on either pieces of dead fish mackeral/batu or chicken both supplied as part of the ticket. A couple of days ago an 82kg chao phraya was caught by Siam Fishing Tours customer Matt expertly guided by Jules on you guessed it a piece of chicken. As far as the number of fish caught goes, Steve a customer from Fish Siam being ably guided by 'Boy' caught more than 20 fish in a day only two days after you fished Palm Tree Lagoon. This again included a good sized predator namely a redtail catfish which when it was last weighed was 37kg caught on deadbait, and also caught 3 siamese carp between 25-30+kg. I also don't understand this myth that you can only catch big predators in the last 1-2 hours of the day, given both these large predators were caught before lunch. Please click on attached link for catch report and I have attached some photos of fish caught by these two anglers.

www.fishsiam.com/carp-fishing-thailand-palm-tree-lagoon-for-giant-carp-and-catfish-451.html

post-125105-0-21904900-1299974789_thumb.post-125105-0-57827900-1299975171_thumb.post-125105-0-68272600-1299975197_thumb.post-125105-0-18129400-1299975271_thumb.post-125105-0-15040900-1299975318_thumb.post-125105-0-39625300-1299975346_thumb.

I don't know who told you that the big predators only come out on large livebaits but it was obviously someone who has not fished Palm Tree Lagoon very often. By far the majority of large predators in particular the arapaima come out on either pieces of dead fish mackeral/batu or chicken both supplied as part of the ticket. A couple of days ago an 82kg chao phraya was caught by Siam Fishing Tours customer Matt expertly guided by Jules on you guessed it a piece of chicken. As far as the number of fish caught goes, Steve a customer from Fish Siam being ably guided by 'Boy' caught more than 20 fish in a day only two days after you fished Palm Tree Lagoon. This again included a good sized predator namely a redtail catfish which when it was last weighed was 37kg caught on deadbait, and also caught 3 siamese carp between 25-30+kg. I also don't understand this myth that you can only catch big predators in the last 1-2 hours of the day, given both these large predators were caught before lunch. Please click on attached link for catch report and I have attached some photos of fish caught by these two anglers.

www.fishsiam.com/carp-fishing-thailand-palm-tree-lagoon-for-giant-carp-and-catfish-451.html

post-125105-0-21904900-1299974789_thumb.post-125105-0-57827900-1299975171_thumb.post-125105-0-68272600-1299975197_thumb.post-125105-0-18129400-1299975271_thumb.post-125105-0-15040900-1299975318_thumb.post-125105-0-39625300-1299975346_thumb.

The person who told me this was the girl who worked there. So I expect her to know what she is doing. Like i said it pays to speak some Thai. They were also the ones who said the predators were caught around that time. So either they don't know what they are talking about or you are lying.

In both cases its bad for palm tree. If you are the owner then im sure the girl will tell you a lie that i have misunderstood or that this was never said. However this is what i have heard and i stand by my story.

I also stand with my opinion that palm tree is not a good catching lake for its price. Every lake has its monsters that come out once in a while. But if you pay good money you expect good catch rates. Of course it is possible that this was just a bad day.

The person who told me this was the girl who worked there. So I expect her to know what she is doing. Like i said it pays to speak some Thai. They were also the ones who said the predators were caught around that time. So either they don't know what they are talking about or you are lying.

In both cases its bad for palm tree. If you are the owner then im sure the girl will tell you a lie that i have misunderstood or that this was never said. However this is what i have heard and i stand by my story.

I also stand with my opinion that palm tree is not a good catching lake for its price. Every lake has its monsters that come out once in a while. But if you pay good money you expect good catch rates. Of course it is possible that this was just a bad day.

This is not the first time you have insinuated that someone is lying, whats it all about Robblok??????????? You seem to come on these forums thinking you know about everything and when you read something you don't like you come out with the lying thing mmmm!!!!!

I am surprised you have not questioned the weight of the 82kg Chao Phraya...

Edited by kenny999

Also the fact you only get 1 big fish and later i found out that the small fish you get first are not favoured by the big predator fish. Then you are basically waisting your time trying during the day and then in the last 1-2 hours they come with a big fish. Mind you there was only one real big fish and we had to draw straws to get it. I got it and it was the only fish that got taken

t

This is not the first time you have insinuated that someone is lying, whats it all about Robblok??????????? You seem to come on these forums thinking you know about everything and when you read something you don't like you come out with the lying thing mmmm!!!!!

Whether dead or live bait is best to catch arapamai is debatable. Also it's an angler's preference. My personal choice is dead bait-small dead fish-as smell is what attract fishes.

On the day we fished we used dead bait, chicken and fish, provided by Palm Tree Lagoon we caught redtail,pacu etc but no arapamai. Approximately 4pm or so while we were fishing, Benz or Benny-the lady Robblok refer to-came with a bucket with 5 live koi fishes. All average sizes but one was 12inch and Benz or Benny had a 5 sticks and asked us to pick. The shortest one get the big koi and Robblok was the lucky winner. So whether arapamai like dead or live bait is secondary as we were told with the BIGGEST KOI stand the best chance to catch an arapamai. This is from Palm Tree Lagoon.So did the staff gave bad advice? Robblok did not make it up or lie. Secondly to use dead or live bait,in my personal opinion,it's best not to use float but your guide advised them to use float.

Not many ponds allow dead chicken meat. Greenfield and Gillhams allow dead SALTWATER fish as the bacteria will perish in freshwater.

As to whether the Chao Phraya Catfish is 82kg perhaps it is or not as unless it;s weighted then one could say it's 82kg otherwise it's approximately or estimation. The Chao Phraya Catfish world record is 41kg caught at Gillhams. Many caught various species of fishes that are bigger than the official IGFA record had been caught but unless the scale is calibated and witnessed by another 2 person then it's recognised. There is no unofficial world record but only the recognised one.

Robblok did not read and insinuate about this matter he was there as Dave,Adam,Kalle and I were too. This was what happened.

Again this is a fishing forum to exchange ideas for all anglers. Why so much animosity?

Palm Tree Lagoon is an interesting destination and I will fish here again for the Chao Phraya Catfish.

Good for you emloy lots of guides spend a fortune on bait and catch that huge fish which really is not yours thats what fishing is all about. NOT!!!!!!!!

As for animosity there is no need for anyone to come on these forums and dispute anything, if you do not belive the poster then do not post simple!!!

Edited by kenny999