Khon Kaen - Nong Khai/Vientiane

Farmboy

There are plenty of places in KK to hire vehicles and as George said is only 2 hour drive.We used to hire a car from a food shop opposite Bkk Bank in Srichan rd.

If you are you staying in KK or nearby and want to find out more about the area, get onto KhonKaen.com.

If you want a beer go to #1 bar and meet a few of the locals who will see you right.

bronco

Thanks bronco. I'm still just a bit geographically challenged, though. I get that I can get to Nong Khai by car. It takes about 2 hours. The Friendship Bridge is in or near Nong Khai, I gather, and I can get a visa at the bridge.

Now I think I read that I'm supposed to go through an organized tour company to Vientiane - that they don't want you travelling alone. Is that true? Do I abandon the car there? Or can one drive across the bridge, and if so, how long from Nong Khai to Vientiane? Is there any problem with drivers licenses?

Sorry to be so clueless.

Thanks,

Farmboy

Guest IT Manager

It isn't clueless and in spite of what you read, every one of us, including the Danish Baker, were once Newbies, which is what you should have said.

Have a look at www.chiangmaimall.com and there is a front page link to visa runs.

Have an excellent trip and don't forget the sign up contract clearly states you MUST report back to us here, your experiences, so others can share the humour, the pathos and the interest you found on you run.

:o

hi farmboy,

As I said contact some of the locals in KK they would have been in your situation and a lot of them would go to NK to fix visa so Khonkaen.com is the place to find them.

The drive from KK to NK is easy, good roads and well signposted. I would avoid driving thru the centre of Udon as there are a million roundabouts frequented by maniacs.

Have fun and dont forget see some locals you might even be able to hitch a ride with someone

regards :o

Hey farmboy Khon Kaen is a little bit further than 2 hours from Nong Khai from memory. You can a big bus from Khon Kaen to Udon thani and then get the local orange bus to Nong Khai. It is great fun to be in with the locals. When arriving in Nong Khai you just get a tuk tuk ..... big ugly 3 wheel things.....but fun.......and tell them you want to go to Vientianne. they will take you to the tuk tuk station where the shuttle songthaew leaves from to cross the bridge. the songthaew is free......well it was when I last did it. It will take you directly to the immigration check in for you to get your visa on arrival (dont forget cash/photo). After you get your visa you can just walk through and on the left side after the building you will see big duty free shops and then a tuk tuk station.......they charge around 20,000 to 30,000 kip (bugger all) to take you intro Vientianne......about 20 minute ride.

Good luck and get stuck into some Beer Laos for me.

Hi again,

So, as long as we're exploring possibilities, I was wondering what the train ride from Khon Kaen to Nong Khai is like. Looks like it connects on the map I've got, but maybe it doesn't leave so often?

And then, does it go any further than Nong Khai? The last time I was in Thailand, just for a week, I took the train from Bangkok to Ayuthaya...slow but sort of fun. Got to see the countryside and chat a bit as I travelled.

Thanks in advance,

Farmboy

Yeah Farmy, the bus is great - especially the orange bus to Nong Khai. I have sat next to some beautiful women (Laos and Thai, old and young) on this bus and had great conversations. It is a nice way to meet local people and I would never go any other way. Dont know about the train.......maybe there is a day version onthesame line. If you do this it is easy ......when you get to NK there are 3 wheelers (samlors) waiting to take you to the samlor station for the songthaew (pick up truck with covered back) to go over the bridge into Laos. Its all too easy.

Beer Laos for me !

Just got a reply from a friend who has taken the train from KK to NK. He hasn't done it four about 4 years but he recommends it.

It costs about 50 to 80 baht one way. The train leaves KK at 0600 and leaves for KK from NK at 1800.

He also recommends the bus as well it leaves from the blue bus station.

• 2 months later...

Hi again all,

I promised a trip report, so here it is. I flew into Khon Kaen, where I had made reservations at the Charoen Thani Princess. This was a very pleasant hotel, and the 50s, 60s and 70s music in their restaurant, Graceland, was really fun. Most of the musicians were excellent.

Now I had an adventure with a traditional Thai activity called "walking." This involves putting one foot in front of the other, which I failed to do correctly. In short, I broke my foot. How could I do that? OK, I was walking a few blocks from the hotel, and looked up to see a giant concrete chicken in front of a restaurant. I thought, "Now there's a place that probably isn't doing much business now (because of the bird flu) ". Down I fell...the chicken got even.

The Khon Kaen hospital is clean, and the folks there are very nice. I was wheeled around to an excellent English speaking doctor, had my foot xrayed, and got a foot brace, a cane and some medicine. Compared the the US, this was a good deal, so if you're planning on breaking a foot, this is the place to go:)

Anyway, after the conference, the sister of a Thai woman we met drove us down to PhiMai, about 2 hours south from Khon Kaen on Hwy 2, according to my map. It's an ancient historical site...amazing architecture. I like this sort of thing, and with my broken foot, it was nice to get out and hobble around.

The next day, we were dropped off at the bus station. Had to wait a bit, but then got on a very nice bus to Nong Khai. I don't remember the price, but it was very inexpensive, and on the bus they gave us drinking water and a few snacks. A

Swedish woman I talked to said that the busses that you can book through tour agents aren't as nice. This was a blue bus, if that helps.

Getting to Nong khai, we made a mistake. We listened to a tuktuk driver's recommendation for a place to stay. Now I knew he would get a percentage, but I hadn't yet established an image of a bottom of the line place yet. The price was 350 baht for the more expensive, airconditioned room we stayed in. It was clean, but that's about all I can say about it. We slept OK (although Something was exploring the trash late at night.) I didn't write down the name, began with a P, and the same people owned both the hotel and a nearby guesthouse. It was on a street perpendicular to the one overlooking the Mekong. I think I remember that people here on this list had recommended the Mut Mee guesthouse, and maybe I'll try that next time.

In the morning, we took a tuktuk to the friendship bridge, and got out. I think it was here we exited Thailand and waited for a bus to go to immigration. The immigration place was no problem, but it took some time to fill out forms, etc. I gather that some people had gone to travel places beforehand in NongKhai that help you with the visa. I saw a lot of signs about this, but since I was new, decided to do the visa at the bridge. After getting our visas, there was a place where we could get a taxi to our hotel for 150 baht. I gather we could have waited for a bus, but we opted for the taxi, and went on our way to Lane Xang Hotel, in Vientianne, which turned out to be very comfortable and convenient.

OK, now we're out of Thailand, so I'll stop here. We'll try Khon Kaen again, and maybe next time I won't break my leg, and I'll be able to tell you more about the city.

Guest IT Manager

I love travelogues. Thanks for that one. Very informative.

About 43 km out of Nong Khai, heading sort of west but down river anyway, is Big Snake Guesthouse. Go there next.

Next time you could also apply for the Laos visa in Khon Kaen, it saves the trouble at the border. If you have time to wait it costs in Khon Kaen 1050 baht (wait 3 days), if you don't have time to wait (10 minutes) then you pay 300 baht extra and you will get the B3 visitor visa (30 days). You only need one pasphoto.

In Khon Kaen I always stay at Europe Guesthouse (www.europe-khonkaen.com). The owner speaks Dutch, English, French, German, and some Thai as well. He can help you with the visa if you need the help.

Khon Kaen is a nice place to stay a few days.

• 2 weeks later...