Dream or night mare ...part 2.

razor

To start, many thanks to all who replyed to my first article, in which i used the immortal words.. I HAVE A DREAM , of which i hope it does not turn out to be a long running nightmare !!!, Ive often thought the first thing to do when you are starting out down an un known path, is to seek the advice of some one who has already made the same trip. hence this request to fellow readers of the forum, ..so here goes, Firstly some advice i was given on my first trip to Thailand, by an " old time Pattaya resident" .... Son here in Thailand if you are going to buy any thing, or build any thing ,rember that one day you may have to just walk away from it, if you can't accept that then " DON'T DO IT " . this thought is forever etched on my brain.  My on going dream is to buy a plot of land ( away from Pattaya, )  as the land prices are ailen,, out of this world. the asking price in my village 15Km from Pattaya for one rai of land .... 600,000 Bt. !!!!. i would like to build a modist house, grow fruit, and vegatables, raise chickens, and breed fish. Then lookforward to a quiet life, with the occasional trips to a city. ( in the past ive lived in a mountain village on a small island off the coast of Africa, so i enjoy the solitude, ) ..can any of the forum readers offer me some advice/comments/personal experiences, on the do's and dont's of buying rural land..?, finding a builder..?, expected land cost's..?, is it better to obtain a price from a builder for a finished house, or pay a builder a day rate and provide the materials direct to him..? can any one offer any personal accounts about living in a rural area..?, including the bad points !!. also has any one used solar power or wind power in any way here ..? Many thanks ..

You don't mention that you are Thai and you do mention your first trip to Thailand.  If you are not Thai the buying of land and farming are not real options.  Perhaps there is another party involved?

Building anything here is 'an experience' you are not likely to enjoy.  Would assume you will need to hire a contractor to take care of the job as few persons with any skill are going to work for day wages.  He would hire a foreman who probably would do the planning and direct the actual work and supervise the various crews: (painting/ceiling/drains/electric/sewer/roof/windows/doors/pile driving etc).  The foreman probably would do the cement/brick/tile work himself or with his team.  Don't expect too much.  You should probably buy tile/bath etc yourself or expect the lowest grade.

• 3 weeks later...

Listen,

Don't buy RENT. You can always move then, right? I have spent 28 years in Thailand. I can buy rice field land in Buri Rum with Nor Sor Sahm title for about 15-20,000 baht per rai. Very quiet but nice people. Remember your a fish and everyone is trying to catch you. RENT

You will get depressed if you are holding on to something that isn't really yours. I will buy some rai in Buri Rum but if I leave it so what. That's the attitude you must have just like your friend told you.

Good luck