Keep Phuket Land For Phuket People: Land Chief

webfact

Keep Phuket land for Phuket people: Land Chief

PHUKET: -- Phuket Provincial Land Office chief Paitoon Lertkrai today told the Gazette that he is deeply concerned that far too many Phuket people are selling their land to off-islanders.

“I do not mean just people from other countries, I mean anyone not from Phuket,” he said.

“Right now many Phuket people are selling their land, and most of the buyers are people from other provinces or Thai companies.

“I am worried that if all Phuket people sell their land, then their future generations will become poor because all their family land would have been sold and the money all spent,” explained Mr Paitoon, who is originally from Surat Thani.

“I want Phuket people to keep their land for their children... and their children’s children. If they sell it all, where will their children live?

“They should sell only some of their land and keep some for their children to live on,” he advised.

His concern has grown out of the recent spike in volume of land transfers being processed at the Land Office in Phuket Town.

“Just today [December 28, 2010] our office earned more than 10 million baht in transfer fees alone. We transferred ownership of about 200 titles today,” he explained.

“On average, we earn about four million baht a day.” he added.

Mr Paitoon pointed out that during the fiscal year October 1, 2009 through September 30, 2010, the Phuket Land Office earned about 1.3 billion baht in transfer fee revenue.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-12-29

That's a lot of sales going on. I think this might be a first where people in one province were told not to sell to others from another province.

should equal 1800 million baht land office value property transfer a month, which usually is 1/3 of actual sales value. Who said the Phuket propertymarket is slow?

they would like to increase tourism , but not let people buy and retire or invest ??

its a very ' old Fashion ' nationalistic view he has ( better then racist ) , and i bet he owns a proper in the UK or somewhere else.....

It would be nationalistic if he said 'don't sell to foreigners'. He is saying 'don't sell, save it for your kids'.

they would like to increase tourism , but not let people buy and retire or invest ??

its a very ' old Fashion ' nationalistic view he has ( better then racist ) , and i bet he owns a proper in the UK or somewhere else.....

It would be nationalistic if he said 'don't sell to foreigners'. He is saying 'don't sell, save it for your kids'.

I do not mean just people from other countries, I mean anyone not from Phuket,

people from other countries are foreigners, but i cant see why he is saying only save for Phuket ... has he never heard of economic trade?

people from other countries are foreigners
Thanks, good to learn something here ;)
but i cant see why he is saying only save for Phuket
Maybe you'd better read what he said before commenting here? Edited by stevenl

people from other countries are foreigners
Thanks, good to learn something here ;)
but i cant see why he is saying only save for Phuket
Maybe you'd better read what he said before commenting here?

“I want Phuket people to keep their land for their children... and their children’s children. If they sell it all, where will their children live?

“They should sell only some of their land and keep some for their children to live on,

but what will the children do with Empty Land ? Farm? , if they sell it, they are able to offer there children a better life,e send to school ect

Before Phuket became the tourist mecca it is today there would have been almost no locals there. So this kind of statement is absurd. What about Koh Samui; exactly the same story. The land only becomes highly prized (expensive) when you can ship in loads of rich tourists and this becomes a magnet for anyone else who wants to make money from tourism!

And what will those nasty 'foreigners' and non locals do ?? Put it in trucks and ship it away ??

If the value of land is 10m.. Then its 10m if a farang owns it or 10m if a Thai owns it or 10m if a Phuketian owns it (and surely by buying it they then become locals ??). The owner of thge land is irrelevant to the value.

And what will those nasty 'foreigners' and non locals do ?? Put it in trucks and ship it away ??

If the value of land is 10m.. Then its 10m if a farang owns it or 10m if a Thai owns it or 10m if a Phuketian owns it (and surely by buying it they then become locals ??). The owner of thge land is irrelevant to the value.

Which has nothing to do with the statement from the PG article.

Before Phuket became the tourist mecca it is today there would have been almost no locals there. So this kind of statement is absurd. What about Koh Samui; exactly the same story. The land only becomes highly prized (expensive) when you can ship in loads of rich tourists and this becomes a magnet for anyone else who wants to make money from tourism!

???

Phukets tin mining has been going on for a century?

Phuket has always been a place for gold diggers (sorry tin miners), and the natural resources here like tin, and rubberplantations have pushed land prices long before tourisme started couple of decades ago. The most wealthy Phuket families now, are those who kept their tin mine and plantation land

• 2 weeks later...

In Norway foreigners can not buy land.

Norway does not want gost towns, populated by foreigners during only 2 weeks a year (does "costa tourista' ring a bell?)

I fully agree: keep thailand for the thai.

Unless of course, the foreigner is married to a thai, and intends to live here for ever.

No need to allow foreign real estate speculators in thaland.

Firstly how long does it take a 'foriegner' to become norwegien ?? 2 years ?? 5 years ?? So going to live there it almost moot.

Secondly I dont think its even true

"Foreign individuals do not need government permission before purchasing residential real estate in Norway. Foreign corporations must apply to the Norwegian government for concessions before the purchase of rights to own or use several types of real estate such as forests, mines, agricultural land, and waterfalls. The rental of real estate by foreign business concerns does not require government approval as long as the lease period is less than 10 years."

http://www.realtor.org/intlprof.nsf/68b4eab0087e45ba86256811004ee31f/621a98cbb0ab460886256810005b6d96?OpenDocument

http://www.state.gov/e/eeb/rls/othr/ics/2010/138124.htm

Norway does not want gost towns, populated by foreigners during only 2 weeks a year (does "costa tourista' ring a bell?)

I fully agree: keep thailand for the thai.

Unless of course, the foreigner is married to a thai, and intends to live here for ever.

No need to allow foreign real estate speculators in thaland.

Does anyone promote Norway as a retirement home?

Do foreigners really want to move and reside in Norway quite the same way as they do on Phuket?