Will This Be The New Face Of English Teachers In Thailand

harrry

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/schools-plug-in-robot-english-teachers-20101228-19975.html

Schools plug in robot English teachers Seoul

December 29, 2010

English-teaching robot "Engkey" stands in front of children at an elementary school in Daegu, 240 kms southeast of Seoul. Photo: AFP

Almost 30 robots have started teaching English to youngsters in a South Korean city in a pilot project designed to nurture the nascent robot industry.

I've met many Koreans. Naturally, I'm meeting many Thais. Believe it or not, but much higher %% of Koreans speak English... and they speak it better. Sorry, didn't mean to piss on anybody's parade.

But if Thai Education Authority could buy these robots, maybe the faces of their english teachers will look better?

N.B. I judge the face of a teacher only by the level of knowlege passed on to students.:D:unsure:

I noticed these robots and did wonder whether they could help meld the best educational practices of Thai and Western cultures thus saving time, money and raising educational standards. Whatever foreigners think about Thai schools and educational practices, they are remarkably effective at getting kids fluent and literate in Thai, they just struggle with English. The Tawanese are responding with Robots to the same dilemma; foreign teachers are more expensive and often less effective in maintaining learning environments due to linguistic, cultural and ethical barriers. If Thai staff were properly trained to use the robots to deliver a structured curriculum with adequate assessment, this may be economically viable, depending on the costs of the robots. While robots lack the cricital eye, facial movements crucial to developing language, they could have basic success and be loaded with infinitely renewable content, accents and vocabulary.

... they could have basic success and be loaded with infinitely renewable content, accents and vocabulary.

From reading the article, it appears that each robot will have a real live teacher sitting in the Philippines operation the robot and "speaking though" the robot. So I understand that the robot it self will not be the "teacher" but rather it is just an upgrade of a video conference call from teacher in Philippines.

I've met many Koreans. Naturally, I'm meeting many Thais. Believe it or not, but much higher %% of Koreans speak English... and they speak it better. Sorry, didn't mean to piss on anybody's parade.

But if Thai Education Authority could buy these robots, maybe the faces of their english teachers will look better?

N.B. I judge the face of a teacher only by the level of knowlege passed on to students.:D:unsure:

It might also have to do with the motivation, discipline and cultural importance of doing well in academics for Koreans versus their Thai counterparts

what's your point? S Korea is a first world country and probably beats Thailand in just about everything academically.

I guess your point is that you are super observant and smart because you have noticed that South Koreans speak better English than Thais? Very observant indeed.

Edited by eljefe2

This will be the only reminder. Please restrict your comments to the content of the post and not the poster personally. This forum is monitored a little more closely than some sub-forums and warnings and posting holidays are given more freely.