Offshore Oil Rig Work

counrikke

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 26 years old, got 2 arms and 2 legs. Anyone got any work?

I have just read through this thread because I want to get on the rigs myself. Sounds like it won't be easy.. I do hold a city and guilds nvq l2 in heating and ventilation. Worked in UK for about 5 years as a pipefitter, hoping this will help my chances of getting a foot in. I have a list of drilling company offices in bkk so gonna start enquiring. Fingers crossed ay? Any help from u lads would be great.

Well firstly forget about drilling companies in Bangkok.

It goes like this.

You start with working on construction sites in the UK,HVAC,services and all related pipe work installation,usually none coded welding and often using various pipe systems Mapress,copper and all related stuff.

Food factories can be good sites to gain experience also,try to move onto Ammonia refrigeration and get used to some coded work and related plant lots of this work about but the money is not as good as offshore.

After a few years of jobbing around you need to break into working on offshore related stuff,big fab yards like Heerema,SLP,Amec,Bifab,Global,Fabricom,etc etc.

Also look to get on some shutdown work at petrochemical sites such as Easington,Bacton,Theddlethorpe,Peterhead etc.

Once you've built a decent CV up and have made lots of pipefitting and welding buddy's who you regularly keep in touch with you can look to go offshore and take things further.

It's all about gradual progression,the older you get the better the jobs are believe me,but you have to start at the bottom and work up,you don't just work offshore because you want to,people need to want you and you need to be known in the industry.

Much depends also where you are in the UK,if you live in Aberdeen you have more chance of getting involved with the offshore industry than if you live in Wolverhampton for example,unless your prepared to travel,but no one pays dig money now LOL.

There is lots of work about here in the UK sector and as time goes on the people to do these jobs are becoming fewer,I'd love to know the average age of offshore Pipefitters and welders lots of the the guys are late fifties early sixties from personal observation.

for the people who have apsirations of getting offshore is a perfect example of how you get there

Of course we do know that large numbers of people wanting to get offshore, dont want to bother with all this experience sh*t, they want to do a few courses get a few bits of paper, and fast track their way offshore on a big pay packet and expect a single bunk offshore on arrival...wink.png

If you are pushy enough you will get there. Its how I got in, but I started on home turf first, had some great paying jobs, had some bad ones, had time on the beach. Its not all beer and skittles all the time but it is a good job

Even with my AB's ticket, Bosiet, Offshore meds, Sparrows Stage 2, STCW 95, I"m finding it impossible to get offshore.

Even with my AB's ticket, Bosiet, Offshore meds, Sparrows Stage 2, STCW 95, I"m finding it impossible to get offshore.

Where are you looking ?...if your looking SEA, would say forget about it, most of the AB's these days are Thai, Burmese, Philipine, Malaysian, Indian etc...even the North sea these days brings guys in from SEA because they are cheaper.... you might want to consider a career change..ie you have your AB's, so why not go and do your DPO ticket for example

• Like 1

DPO looks like a nice cruisy job. Drinking cups of tea all day... Wish i could turn back time haha

Seriously, though. offshore's not all huge paychecks and holidays in Sth east asia every second month.

"I want a job offshore" isnt going to cut it.

what do you want to do? there's plenty of different fields of work. A better approach would be to

be genuinely interested in a particular field with the goal of career advancement. Just like with a job on the beach.

would you walk up to a factory and say "I want a job in a factory"?

DPO looks like a nice cruisy job. Drinking cups of tea all day... Wish i could turn back time haha

Seriously, though. offshore's not all huge paychecks and holidays in Sth east asia every second month.

"I want a job offshore" isnt going to cut it.

what do you want to do? there's plenty of different fields of work. A better approach would be to

be genuinely interested in a particular field with the goal of career advancement. Just like with a job on the beach.

would you walk up to a factory and say "I want a job in a factory"?

That is so true. It seems everyone I know wants an offshore job. A lot of them wouldnt cut it. There is a downside to it all. You have to spend 6 months of the year on a boat or a rig, away from your family.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Yup...I can see the logic in your thinking, I am also guessing you are from an older generation than me? I'm under 35 btw.

I was kind of brought up in the way that you need to 'sell' yourself to the companies. So if you are saving them the cost of a mandatory training course then you are doing the right thing, as you will know ALL companies cut costs wherever possible. This would be different when dealing with more skilled workers - as you accurately stated, they wouldn't knock back say, an engineer or supervisor because their BOSIET was expiring, but this is not the case with green hands.

My own experiences and from people I know who have got their feet in the door using O&G agencies, some companies in the UK offer these offshore training packages including rigging/banksman/H2S etc etc. Again as you say this certainly doesn't guarantee you a job, but I have heard of guys who have done these courses and registered with websites like 'rigzone' or 'oil&gasjobsearch' and have been contacted by drilling companies offering them a trip as a roustabout thus getting that foot in the door.

The biggest problem I have noticed and again you stated is the guys who act on bad advice in regard to courses. My good friend spent thousands doing a diving course, but spent almost 1 year waiting for a start, and when he did, he ended up going offshore as a roustie.

If I could give some advice to new starts, pick a trade, then go for the trade in the service companies. DON'T pay for a course without researching the job openings. NEBOSH is probably the best course you could do, as even if you don't get offshore immediately, you can always start HSE work onshore. Oh - and if you do manage to get offshore in Health and Safety, you will have the slackest best job on the rig.

Yes...quite a bit older than you, but not that old...LOL....Everything you have written there is solid....I have been talking in general terms and of course certain people will get a lucky break, but normally the exception not the rule, this is a tough business to get into and even harder to stay in....have a few c*ck ups and the word get round and you end up with a black mark against your name and finding a job becomes harder and harder.....

The only part of your post i have a problem with is the bit about the safety qualifications.....please no more safety numb nuts offshore..LOL...wai.gif ...your suggestion about doing the nebosh ticket is great one, but even better is them doing their HSE work onshore...yes please let them stay there on shore...

please understand I have no problems or issues as regards the implemtation of safety offshore and am a big supporter of it...but no more numb nuts offshore who typically dont have a clue about the the job they are suppose to be providing safety advice on and their sole contribution to safety is put your safety glasses on...

Over the years lost count on the number of safety "officers", Safety professionals, safety advisors or what ever the flavour of the month job title they give themselves I have run off, just being complete d*ckheads and making an already hazardeous job even more dangerous

Dont get me wrong over the years have worked with a few of these guys who were excellent, but these guys came from a trade/deck background, they had been there, seen it and got the T-shirt before they got into the safety side of things

My wrath is directed at the safety numbties who have no background in industry at all whether onshore/offshore, pass an exam and somehow manage to get offshore and start causing mayhem because they havent got a clue...so please dont encourage this...thumbsup.gif

Suppose If we have any safety guys reading this they are not going to be happy bunnies with me..tongue.png

I'm offshore here in Thailand and the company's drilling for Chevron.

I don't mind the safety or some safety people as long as they do it right. Our own safety people are good and fair.

Chevron use a third party mob for their safety people, can't remember who (ask me on Wednesday) So, one is an old fat good ole boy, no harm, knows the ropes, checks the rubbish bins and painted walkways. Always on the scrounge after break times for left over sandwiches and cake. His back to back is a bloke that can be found hiding behind equipment peeping at the junior crew to see if they do something wrong. This type of safety guy is not respected by anyone anywhere.

Just my two cents on safety...

Yup...I can see the logic in your thinking, I am also guessing you are from an older generation than me? I'm under 35 btw.

I was kind of brought up in the way that you need to 'sell' yourself to the companies. So if you are saving them the cost of a mandatory training course then you are doing the right thing, as you will know ALL companies cut costs wherever possible. This would be different when dealing with more skilled workers - as you accurately stated, they wouldn't knock back say, an engineer or supervisor because their BOSIET was expiring, but this is not the case with green hands.

My own experiences and from people I know who have got their feet in the door using O&G agencies, some companies in the UK offer these offshore training packages including rigging/banksman/H2S etc etc. Again as you say this certainly doesn't guarantee you a job, but I have heard of guys who have done these courses and registered with websites like 'rigzone' or 'oil&gasjobsearch' and have been contacted by drilling companies offering them a trip as a roustabout thus getting that foot in the door.

The biggest problem I have noticed and again you stated is the guys who act on bad advice in regard to courses. My good friend spent thousands doing a diving course, but spent almost 1 year waiting for a start, and when he did, he ended up going offshore as a roustie.

If I could give some advice to new starts, pick a trade, then go for the trade in the service companies. DON'T pay for a course without researching the job openings. NEBOSH is probably the best course you could do, as even if you don't get offshore immediately, you can always start HSE work onshore. Oh - and if you do manage to get offshore in Health and Safety, you will have the slackest best job on the rig.

Yes...quite a bit older than you, but not that old...LOL....Everything you have written there is solid....I have been talking in general terms and of course certain people will get a lucky break, but normally the exception not the rule, this is a tough business to get into and even harder to stay in....have a few c*ck ups and the word get round and you end up with a black mark against your name and finding a job becomes harder and harder.....

The only part of your post i have a problem with is the bit about the safety qualifications.....please no more safety numb nuts offshore..LOL...wai.gif ...your suggestion about doing the nebosh ticket is great one, but even better is them doing their HSE work onshore...yes please let them stay there on shore...

please understand I have no problems or issues as regards the implemtation of safety offshore and am a big supporter of it...but no more numb nuts offshore who typically dont have a clue about the the job they are suppose to be providing safety advice on and their sole contribution to safety is put your safety glasses on...

Over the years lost count on the number of safety "officers", Safety professionals, safety advisors or what ever the flavour of the month job title they give themselves I have run off, just being complete d*ckheads and making an already hazardeous job even more dangerous

Dont get me wrong over the years have worked with a few of these guys who were excellent, but these guys came from a trade/deck background, they had been there, seen it and got the T-shirt before they got into the safety side of things

My wrath is directed at the safety numbties who have no background in industry at all whether onshore/offshore, pass an exam and somehow manage to get offshore and start causing mayhem because they havent got a clue...so please dont encourage this...thumbsup.gif

Suppose If we have any safety guys reading this they are not going to be happy bunnies with me..tongue.png

I'm offshore here in Thailand and the company's drilling for Chevron.

I don't mind the safety or some safety people as long as they do it right. Our own safety people are good and fair.

Chevron use a third party mob for their safety people, can't remember who (ask me on Wednesday) So, one is an old fat good ole boy, no harm, knows the ropes, checks the rubbish bins and painted walkways. Always on the scrounge after break times for left over sandwiches and cake. His back to back is a bloke that can be found hiding behind equipment peeping at the junior crew to see if they do something wrong. This type of safety guy is not respected by anyone anywhere.

Just my two cents on safety...

Sounds about right for Chevron. Chevron & safety not usually mentioned in the same sentence. keep giving the old guy cakes, the guy that peeps on the junior crew well he is just a <deleted>.

stay safe out there.

I always thought chevron was a safety company who drilled on the side.

Worked with them on Barrow Island Australia. We had a peeping safety man we nick named " the cat".

Cause he was always peeping around a corner watching us rig up.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Chevron have to be 'safe' in Australia as they have to be... plus the Ozzie workforce look for any excuse to go on strike.

Go to West Africa and you have another story Posted Image

Chevron are just being good in Australia because they want first dibs in the Antarctic.

Yes and we like to excercise our right to strike. Lets em good ol yankee boys know who the natural resources belong too ;)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 7 months later...

Good day everyone.my name is Akoh.i am a cameroonian by nationality and based in thailand. i want to join the offshore world.i have never done any offshore job before.i am writing you today because i wish to start a skilled training but i dont know where to start.please advice me. cheers

Good day everyone.my name is Akoh.i am a cameroonian by nationality and based in thailand. i want to join the offshore world.i have never done any offshore job before.i am writing you today because i wish to start a skilled training but i dont know where to start.please advice me. cheers

In all honesty you will not get a look in, in SEA in O&G, best place for you to get a start in O&G is Cameroon, to what side of the business you get into, you have not given enough detail as what you would be interested in

You can't just say I want to work offshore and have no clue as to what it is you want to do offshore.

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Cameroon-West-Africas-Latest-Oil-Battleground.html

Falck Nutec in bkk do off shore survival courses.. That's a basic course you need aswell as a off shore unrestricted medical cert that certifes your healthy enough to work off shore..

Bosiet course is about 45,000 bt & medical cert is about 10,000 bt.

Don't know what your qualification allows you to work as off shore....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I WISH TO UNDERGO A TRAINING COURSE .BUT DONT KNOW WHICH IS BEST AND WHICH I COULD EASILY GET A JOB AT THE END OF IT

There is not such thing as doing a training course and getting a job easily....

As mentioned previously, if you think your going to get offshore in SEA, without marketable skills, and good solid experience in country other than your own, guess again...honestly you have no chance.

In another post someone mentioned doing the offshore survival training course in BKK, in your case don't waste your money or time doing them, as this will not get you a job, you still need marketable skills.

If you truly want to get into the offshore game/O&G game

Go back to Cameroon, which has a developing O&G business, go an train as a rigger, if this is what you want to do, and then spend may 8-10 years working the business there and then maybe, just maybe, you can start looking at the international game.

if your chasing the money and think a quick couple of courses will put you on the road to "big money" offshore in this region, you very much mistaken.

The days of hiring people in O&G because they can walk and chew gum at the same time are long gone...

• 4 years later...

Hey Guys,

I'm working on a project and need to interview a few people that have worked on a rig. Nothing too crazy, just a few questions. I'm including a $50 Amazon card for anyone that can help. 

If interested email me at *edited out*

Thanks

Edited by Scott
Phone and or email edited out, use the PM function

3 hours ago, MatthewEhorn said:

Hey Guys,

I'm working on a project and need to interview a few people that have worked on a rig. Nothing too crazy, just a few questions. I'm including a $50 Amazon card for anyone that can help. 

If interested email me at *edited out*

Thanks

Email addresses are not permitted on the open forum, please use the PM function for communication.

• 1 year later...