Offshore Oil Rig Work

counrikke

There is a lot of onshore LNG work in Australia, the company I work for is crying out for skilled labour.

In your case you could try and get a job on site as a labourer or better still a clerk and then at least you have a foot in the door.

However if you heart is set on offshore work, then you have got a long and tough road ahead.

Best of luck and be determined.

Is there any suggestions to what may help secure a position of roustabout?

I am looking at TAFE in australia, but cant seem to find any directly relevant courses:

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/simpleSearch.do

Any help would be appreciated greatly

Seems to me your weren't specifically interested in offshore work till you heard about / met guys living over here earning very good money?

Suggestions. Send your CV off to as many oil/gas companies as poss and see what comes back, you will not get any work in Thailand though. It would likely take well over 10yrs to make a Tool Pusher if you got a start as a roustabout. If your really intent on becoming a roustabout, goto Perth and don't leave till u have a start.

It might be better to try and find something in the industy that is more suited to an IT skillset, THEN when you become compitent enough at it companies would hire you out of Thailand although you'd probably be working elsewhere. Most of the guys living in thailand who are on big bucks aren't actually working in thailand, merely being hired out of thailand.

The OP vaguely states 'IT' training or experience. Be a bit more specific and also let us know if there's any secondary tertiary education bits of paper or vocational school in your educational background. Good at math? Handy with a computer? Mechanical aptitude?

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I was out buying my (third) house. Ah yes.... the oil patch is good.

Edited by NanLaew

ahh, It's nothing great. It's a Certificate III in IT along with CCNA certification. I have been using computers since I was little and it's like second nature to me.

The reason as IT is interesting to me, but it seems more of a hobby then anything. I know you can turn a hobby into work, but I think I want to go down the Oil route as the job interests me, along with the benefits of working so many days on so many off allows for travel in between.

To be totally honest, I am not just looking for Thailand, Asia in general or anywhere international. Right now I'd rather get experience wherever I can and I'd love to do something in another country and learn and build a career while I'm at it, it seems like the way to go to me

and I know, I'm young but now I actually have decided I better start making a move towards a career before it's too late. I know yes, I'm young but I haven't really tried and I am not happy with myself at this stage, I really need to start making the right moves towards a career.

Why is it, when somebody asks a question the members of this forum that have not got a clue,

Just goggle it and think they are experts not giving necessary the correct advise.

Im in angola right now building a pipeline and I live in thailand, so maybe I have some sort of clue what Im talking about...

If you have IT skills and aptitude, NDT may be a good option to look into. I started off a construction monkey doing rope access in the north sea, then took some inspection courses and did rope access inspection for a few years before moving into AUT (Automated Ultrasonic Inspection) which requires decent computing skills. It is hard to get an initial start and takes persistence and luck (and often a friend already in the game to open the door), but once you get your foot in the door, if you do a good job, you will keep getting work. As I said before, Perth in WA is the best place to be if you are Australian. I have PCN certs, but in Oz it is a different organisation that deals with NDT qualifications, so Im not sure what prior experience you need before you can qualify with anything. Take a look at www.aindt.com.au to find out more.

Pdaz has said all that really needs saying.

Getting a start 'on the tools' from a base in Thailand is a formidable challenge.

I've worked the North Sea (as I was based there) and that wasn't great these past few years with the credit crunch. A lot less work at the moment until the next boom.

Back in the 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s it was good if you were a new-start to get work

Not now though, especially in Asia you've got a lot of competition from India, S. Africa and elsewhere that are churning out divers, ROV pilots and the like. Don't pay for any courses yourself. A buddy of mine was raving about going ROV until I told him how much of a scam those courses are (he was sold on taking a course out in the Philipines that now has set up a training gig)

I did my offshore courses about eight years ago when there was still work for newbies. Now though the waiting list for getting a trip offshore is insane and the agencies aren't throwing out the work like they used to.

DSV work is possible out here but you need to know people and have connections. Without those it's almost impossible. Nepotism is a big problem in the offshore industry, not just the North Sea but most places in the offshore world.

The latest 'scam' course is the MIST course (supposed safety course).

It used to be that the company's would train up people for a rig offshore, now though they want you to pay for ANOTHER course just to be eligible to even work offshore.

Oh and in the North Sea we've now got the Poles, Slavics and numerous other ex-soviet block country's trying to get on the rigs :blink:

NDT courses sponsored by a company are your best bet, they cost a fortune otherwise AND you have to renew them every few years.

If you live in or near Perth WA, you could try getting into NDT inspection. They are often looking for guys there, so much so that some companies have been sponsoring South Africans to move to Oz due to the lack of experienced personnel available locally. RTD STeeltest is one company that I know may take on inexperienced guys and train them up. Once you have a few years experience, then you can think of looking to base yourself in Thailand and travel to wherever the work is.

Website: www.rtdsteeltest.com.au Phone: +61894395656 Fax: +61894395665

Nice one soarsa, I know RDT from the UK, hope you don’t mind I’ve just fired of an email to the address you’ve given, see if they come back to me. I could do with a change of scenery. I’m trying to get back to Asia to work.

good place to start your training for most companies would be in..

safety

HSE

medic

audio video expert for traing vids

bean counters

processors

as this seems to be where the most new hires have been getting there foot in the door,

with my company CGG over the last few years ...

they are not hiring any real offshore talented workers at all......

just pencil pushers if thats what your into...

goodluck

It look like you only look at the deck work (rough) why not start something in the ET (electronic technician) category if you like IT

Pretty hard to get into offshore work these days for sure, don’t think you will get any work around here, OZ is the best place for you i think, and as other say be careful about going on these 3-5 weeks course where they say you can be a ROV pilot 1 or 2 or whatever, they lie, believe me when i see CV where a guy coming from a ROV course asking for a pilot 1 or 2 job i drop the CV, you can guess where. Also you need your offshore survival and medical, not cheap, just did my refresh offshore survival in BKK 28.000B for 1 day. Remember ROV mean Rest On Vessel ;)

Try find everything on the net you can about offshore work, it’s not always fun, be on an old barge with 4 in a room and common toilet and chicken and rice 3 times a day (i work in the North sea right now, good food)

And i did not goggle this, been in offshore business for much longer that i want to think about

Pdaz has said all that really needs saying.

Getting a start 'on the tools' from a base in Thailand is a formidable challenge.

I've worked the North Sea (as I was based there) and that wasn't great these past few years with the credit crunch. A lot less work at the moment until the next boom.

Back in the 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s it was good if you were a new-start to get work

Not now though, especially in Asia you've got a lot of competition from India, S. Africa and elsewhere that are churning out divers, ROV pilots and the like. Don't pay for any courses yourself. A buddy of mine was raving about going ROV until I told him how much of a scam those courses are (he was sold on taking a course out in the Philipines that now has set up a training gig)

I did my offshore courses about eight years ago when there was still work for newbies. Now though the waiting list for getting a trip offshore is insane and the agencies aren't throwing out the work like they used to.

DSV work is possible out here but you need to know people and have connections. Without those it's almost impossible. Nepotism is a big problem in the offshore industry, not just the North Sea but most places in the offshore world.

The latest 'scam' course is the MIST course (supposed safety course).

It used to be that the company's would train up people for a rig offshore, now though they want you to pay for ANOTHER course just to be eligible to even work offshore.

Oh and in the North Sea we've now got the Poles, Slavics and numerous other ex-soviet block country's trying to get on the rigs :blink:

NDT courses sponsored by a company are your best bet, they cost a fortune otherwise AND you have to renew them every few years.

I think for now MIST is only for North Sea, will be in Asia in about 15 years time then :) but i know Asia also ask for HV course now, i worked for Shell here in Asia and they wanted it, also wanted people on the ROV with at least 5 years in the ROV business

Does anyone have any info on Offshore Medic jobs? More specifically...I have info on the courses required and have plenty of relevant experience albeit in the hospital environment.

Mostly I want to get an idea of salary and whether its worth my while shelling out on the courses and starting a new career path.

Feel free to PM.

Thanks for any response.

:jap:

PS...Sorry to hijack your thread for a short while OP.

Does anyone have any info on Offshore Medic jobs? More specifically...I have info on the courses required and have plenty of relevant experience albeit in the hospital environment.

Mostly I want to get an idea of salary and whether its worth my while shelling out on the courses and starting a new career path.

Feel free to PM.

Thanks for any response.

Most of the medic's I know have come out of hospitals (nurses/paramedics) and have only done their BOSIET, no further medical training per se for offshore, if you have worked an ER on the beach, you will have all the experience you need... :lol:

Is there any suggestions to what may help secure a position of roustabout?

I am looking at TAFE in australia, but cant seem to find any directly relevant courses:

https://www.tafensw....simpleSearch.do

Any help would be appreciated greatly

Already gave you the answer a few posts ago.....there are no courses per se for a Roustie, but below are some of the skills/courses you could consider doing which are directly related (the BOSIET is mandatory)

Slinging/rigging and possibly offshore crane driving courses

Dpendent on where you are working a BOSIET-T or BOSIET (HUET, First Aid, Sea survivial & Fire fighting)

HLO course maybe useful to you as well

Get you paint chipping and brush work up to snuff as well, if no other work going on...you will be chipping and painting...:lol:

Feel free to PM.

Thanks for any response.

Most of the medic's I know have come out of hospitals (nurses/paramedics) and have only done their BOSIET, no further medical training per se for offshore, if you have worked an ER on the beach, you will have all the experience you need... :lol:

Thanks for the reply Soutpeel. I've near 20 years experience in Anaesthetics/OR so I don't see any problem there. Mostly concerned on whether the salary is worthwhile. Can you give any idea of what these guys are paid?

Cheers.

Nice one soarsa, I know RDT from the UK, hope you don't mind I've just fired of an email to the address you've given, see if they come back to me. I could do with a change of scenery. I'm trying to get back to Asia to work.

Yes, ApplusRTD in UK is what used to be Motherwell Bridge Inspection. ApplusRTD have gone on a buying spree over the years picking up companies all over the world. I havent worked for the UK outfit myself, so dont know first hand what they are like as an employer.

Edited by saorsa

. Remember ROV mean Rest On Vessel ;)

And NDT = Nothing Done Today :D

And you are so right about <deleted> food/accommodation on some barges. I did a 14 week trip in Egypt this year and lost 8kg due to bad food and dysentery, it really isnt always a fun job, but does allow you to live in Thailand with a proper salary. The pic of the toilet below was from the egypt barge, we had 8 guys sharing this toilet, it was disgusting!

post-63405-0-44338100-1293773005_thumb.j

To OP, just out of interest, did you read "Dont Tell Mum I work On The Rigs, She Thinks Im a Piano Player in a Whorehouse" or "This is Not a Drill" to get the idea to start as roustie and work your way to tool pusher?

Edited by saorsa

And you are so right about <deleted> food/accommodation on some barges. I did a 14 week trip in Egypt this year and lost 8kg due to bad food and dysentery, it really isnt always a fun job, but does allow you to live in Thailand with a proper salary. The pic of the toilet below was from the egypt barge, we had 8 guys sharing this toilet, it was disgusting!

To OP, just out of interest, did you read "Dont Tell Mum I work On The Rigs, She Thinks Im a Piano Player in a Whorehouse" or "This is Not a Drill" to get the idea to start as roustie and work your way to tool pusher?

That guy is from OZ, he used to work on Transocean legend, that rig was sh1ite as well a few years back

I dont think reading books is going to get anyone a start in the offshore game personally do you,its who you know not what im afraid,you can be like me, come from a welding pipefitting background,ie time served have 15 years onshore experience under your belt,work for SLP,Amec and numerous others to mention in large onshore yards,pay to do your own survival/medical and still not get a look in,sadly the offshore industry in the UK along with several others have a Masonic Lodge type mentality about them,the same can be said for Pipelaying Barges,Onshore Pipelaying outfits ie Stove welding gangs etc etc and many others to mention,i know scores of guys who do this type of work who dont wish to share the spoils,that said i have never given up,it can and will be done,given the time,if there is one thing i have learnt in my working career the money and the jobs certainly get better with experience,my final tuppence to the OP would be to invest in a Kevlar vest to protect his back from the stabbers.

Happy And Prosperous New Year.

I dont think reading books is going to get anyone a start in the offshore game personally do you,its who you know not what im afraid,you can be like me, come from a welding pipefitting background,ie time served have 15 years onshore experience under your belt,work for SLP,Amec and numerous others to mention in large onshore yards,pay to do your own survival/medical and still not get a look in,sadly the offshore industry in the UK along with several others have a Masonic Lodge type mentality about them,the same can be said for Pipelaying Barges,Onshore Pipelaying outfits ie Stove welding gangs etc etc and many others to mention,i know scores of guys who do this type of work who dont wish to share the spoils,that said i have never given up,it can and will be done,given the time,if there is one thing i have learnt in my working career the money and the jobs certainly get better with experience,my final tuppence to the OP would be to invest in a Kevlar vest to protect his back from the stabbers.

Happy And Prosperous New Year.

Read books don’t get you offshore dam_n right but you don’t know what this book is about do you??, it’s not about getting job offshore but a lot of things you could experience offshore.

Your right about it’s a small and sometime closed world offshore; best thing is to know somebody for sure, if you get a list with 5 names and you need 2 people you will take the 2 you know or somebody in your crew might know, it can be hard to get a start, on the other hand i have seen people with many years in offshore also sitting on the beach for a long time waiting for a job, had a friend waiting for long time, he was very good but have only worked for 1 company in the last 6 years, he did not know anybody around, the more companies you work for the more people you know. Go knock some doors always better than just send them a mail ask for a job, when i started in Asia i took time off and went to all the companies down there, i got a job very quick and now i know a lot of the people to know. Get out and show your face.