Honest Phuket Tuk-Tuk Driver Returns Camcorder

webfact

Honest Phuket tuk-tuk driver returns camcorder

phuket-1-DtxmwcQ.jpg

Mr Thongchai (left) poses for a photo with the Swedes. Photo: Rungaroon Intawong

PHUKET: -- A Phuket tuk-tuk driver tracked down a Swedish couple who left their camcorder in his vehicle on Christmas Day and returned it to them free of charge on Boxing Day.

Cathanna, 48, and her husband hired Thongchai Permpoon to take them on a five-hour tour of Phuket Town.

After dropping the Swedes off at their hotel, the Diamond Cottage Resort and Spa, Mr Thongchai went back to the taxi rank there and stayed there until 11pm before driving home.

As he was cleaning out the vehicle he noticed that a Sony camcorder had been left on the back seat.

The following day he contacted the management at the Diamond Cottage, who were able to help him reunite the Scandinavians with their Handycam.

More than happy to get the expensive device back, the Swedes thanked and lavished praise on Mr Thongchai.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-12-30

After dropping the Swedes off at their hotel

it is actually the duty off all hotel and condo security staff to note down the number plate ect of any vehicle that drops guests off, thus he probably thought if he doesnt return, they report lost he may get into trouble !

Seems this one was honest too.. Told her exactly..

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=9701

Phuket taxi rolls out special holiday treat

PHUKET: As we close out a year in which widespread public complaints against Phuket taxi and tuk-tuk services have dominated local news and made headlines around the world, our editors have this afternoon received a letter which caught our attention.

It comes from a long term foreign resident well and favorably known to the Phuket Gazette. We publish it below as a public service:

"Dear Editor:

On Monday, 27 December, I was taking my girlfriend to Phuket International Airport from Naiharn when my car had a puncture and we were running out of time to catch her flight. I decided to get her a taxi in Chalong.

She asked the driver to please hurry as otherwise she would miss her flight. He demanded 800 baht (US$ 26.00; € 20.00) for the trip.

On the way he drove very slowly and my girlfriend once again asked him to please hurry, whereupon he demanded a further 200 baht to comply with her request.

He then observed that she could afford it as she was with a farang [foreigner]. She protested, saying that she was a salaried person, and she asked why her relationship with a foreigner would have anything to do with the fare.

She ended up forced to pay the additional amount demanded. And she made the flight, but only because its departure had been delayed.

With the total cost of the trip at 1,000 baht (US$ 33.00; € 25.00), I believe the event was a case of extortion.

Sincerely,

Richard Lusted

CEO, Siam Real Estate"