Teen Involved In Fatal Bangkok Tollway Crash Stressed Out : Mum

webfact

Girl, 17, admits to speeding before deadly crash with van, apologises for the casualties

By The Nation

For the first time since Monday's horrific road accident on an elevated tollway section that killed nine passengers in a van, the under-aged driver of the sedan involved in the incident spoke publicly in a television interview yesterday, offering her apologies and admitting to speeding prior to the crash.

The unnamed girl, who said for the first time that she was 17 years of age, was however cautious when answering questions on aspects that may put her at a disadvantage legally. She said initially that the accident would not have happened had she not been speeding, but also dismissed a leading question about traffic camera footage showing her car speeding.

"If I were not speeding, the accident would have possibly not occurred, or not been this violent. I tried my best to swerve away [from the van], but my car lost control, and hit it. I apologise for this," she said.

Earlier, responding to two questions during the interview, the girl said she could not remember at what speed she was driving. When probed further: "From what is seen in the footage, your car was travelling very fast, why were you speeding?," the girl replied: "What speeding? I'd rather not answer this. Whatever the affect or if there is anything, I would need to later tell the police. I excuse myself not to speak about it."

The girl said she would like to attend the funerals of all nine people but "the consequences and media reaction to what has happened" was "a bit too violent" for her to do so. She dismissed public speculation, reflected through online communities, that she was using her BlackBerry to update her Twitter and Facebook on the accident. She said she was calling her parents and friends.

The interviewer did not ask the girl about "fun-laced messages" on her Twitter profile, and the "ha ha ha" attached to them - a topic hotly discussed on Web boards. She denied having other social network services other than a Facebook account, which was now discontinued. The online postings are now distributing captures of her Twitter and Facebook messages containing her immediate updates on both services.

The girl and her parents later visited all five people wounded in the accident at Vibhavadi Hospital and offered apologies to all of them. A token compensation of Bt20,000 was given to each of the five. Two of the wounded, Wissarut Phollasit and Waranyoo Ketchoo, said they accepted the family's apologies and felt better about them. Both men's parents said they were not thinking yet about demanding compensation from the girl's family.

Wissarut told reporters that the girl's mother told him about possibly "sending her back to the US afterwards". He said the mother felt sorry for the family's "late response", especially after five days.

The body of Janjira Simkrathoke, the ninth fatality from the accident, yesterday reached her home province of Buri Ram. At a sombre ceremony on Thursday at a hospital, her Thammasat University classmates, sang a faculty song to bid farewell to the 22-year-old senior of the Public Health Faculty. Many of her classmates, mostly girls, sang and cried together.

General Wit Thephasdin na Ayutthaya, chairman of the Army's staff and the uncle of the girl in the eye of the storm, apologised for the accident and denied using any social privilege to influence police investigation into the accident. "Please believe in our family's honour and dignity. There will be no use of any privilege in police investigation in our favour," he added

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-01

Incredibly stupid from a legal standpoint to make a public statement like this. However, at least she has made some kind of public statement of a type of contrition.

Of course, ordinarily, she wouldn't have had a chance to speak to the press before she spoke to the police because she would have been arrested, interviewed, and possibly bailed by about now. The process of letting her out before making statements is ridiculous, only for the fact that she can now say "it was 5 days ago, I can't remember".

I wonder if they will grant her bail, after her family admitting that they normally send their family to the US to calm down.

"Does the defendant present a flight risk?" Hell yeah......

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was curious about the family's term sending her "BACK" to the USA, as reported in the article above..

In normal English, you'd presume that meant she'd already been there in the past...

But since I'm assuming that's a translation from the original Thai language comment, hard to know for sure.... But it makes you wonder where she might have picked up her habits.

Interestingly, still nothing from the family with "honour and dignity" about what their 16/17 year old was doing speeding on the highway at night in a car she didn't own (a friend's car???) and lacking a driver's license....

I was curious about the family's term sending her "BACK" to the USA, as reported in the article above..

In normal English, you'd presume that meant she'd already been there in the past...

But since I'm assuming that's a translation from the original Thai language comment, hard to know for sure.... But it makes you wonder where she might have picked up her habits.

Interestingly, still nothing from the family with "honour and dignity" about what their 16/17 year old was doing speeding on the highway at night in a car she didn't own (a friend's car???) and lacking a driver's license....

I mean the shame of it. All the neighbours have chauffeurs.

Seems that the real punishment will continue to come from the public as much as they can dish it out.

Forgetting about her. I hope that the high publicity gets trhough to a lot of teenagers and shows thm how realities can change easily in a moment of stupidity. When you know you are lucky to be alive, it changes you as I am sure it has changed many of us.

How can anyone believe these reports? Now she was playing cat and mouse with the van driver after yesterdays report she 'tapped' the rear of the van. Now we have admissions she loves going fast - I mean how long has the 'prestige named' family had this lunatic at the wheel?

Then we have compensation - what a joke! 150,000 THB for injury or THB200,000 for death - doesn't get much better than that - but wait - there's more. She gets a maximum of THB50,000 fine for reckless driving causing injury and death! Oh yeah and the jail sentence of 10 years which will never occur. And BTW, words last night with someone in the 'know' says she is actually 15. Doesn't seem to matter much now does it?

But let's not forget mum's comment - she was calling her friend on the BB as opposed to yesterday she was calling the family, but this time for insurance? What other gifts of 'truth' will arise from this saga of ducking and weaving?

I must remember this as a precedent to quote in court should the same fate befall me. T.i.T. Life is cheap! dry.gif

I am sure that her attitude has changed and she probably truly is remorseful now, even though she may not have behaved so just after the accident.

The implications are beyond anything she ever thought about before and now she is waking up to the fact that this isn't a movie.

I would bet that she sees dead bodies everytime she closes her eyes. And if she believes in ghosts she is in for a hell of a time.

16-year-old girl driver who crashed into van, leading to Don Mueang tollway tragedy, visits victims, gives helping money, expresses sorrow for incident /MCOT

Edited by bitterbatter

We are living in a country where rich people can do whatever they want to do because if it comes to a worst case szenario, they always can be sure

1. Investigators can be bribed

2. Things will go sooner or later under the carpet where nobody sees them anymore

3. There ARE two kind of people in this country. These ones with an uniform and influence, and the normal Thai which life is nothing worth to the upper class.

As long as Thailand doesnt USE its Police force for the thing the Police is in Duty, things like this terrible accident will happend again and again and again.

I honestly have absolutely no clue how the police in this country is making its money, but obviously not by taking care of the whole ThaiCommunity and making the roads safer.

I asked me very often why the police have not more checkpoints to check on driving licences, lights working, helmets, speeding etc. etc etc. but specially DRUNK DRIVING like

many people yesterdays night did, obviously they just dont need the money they can make there, or the work writing reports. So HOW the police is making its money???

Land of the free cant mean that everybody can do whatever he want when he have enough money paying for casualties caused by his actions.

If a government can not guaranty a little bit safety it has to change.

Dont get me wrong here. There are also a lot of Farangs living here which reminds me of grown kids. They are in many cases not a little bit better on the roads when it comes to reckless

driving or speeding or using telephones while driving, then Thais are. Yesterday I saw a farang teaching his about 15y.o. kid in bright daylight on Chalong circle how to drive a car.

They both had no idea that other drivers in the circle have the right of way. Police was standing around like always and did nothing...like always

I am sure that her attitude has changed by now. She probably sees dead bodies everytime she closese her eyes. And if she believes in ghosts she is in for a hell of a time.

16-year-old girl driver who crashed into van, leading to Don Mueang tollway tragedy, visits victims, gives helping money, expresses sorrow for incident /MCOT

At least she is doing something! Kids of OTHER people will have already left the country. I wont change with her and what she is going thru atm. Nothing can make things undone but it will for sure change her live a lot. To show up infront of the familys of the deaths need some guts and if you like it or not, it shows me she understood that she is responsible for her actions. Nobody is all bad.

No problem elaborating ... This is not her father. It is her Uncle.

http://www.nationmul...t-30145558.html

General Wit Thephasdin na Ayutthaya, chairman of the Army's staff and the uncle of the girl in the eye of the storm, apologised for the accident and denied using any social privilege to influence police investigation into the accident. "Please believe in our family's honour and dignity. There will be no use of any privilege in police investigation in our favour," he added

Slap on the wrist for her then!

...Not much, just a picture of a young girl texting on a cell phone...

In what way would the photo have to look different

1. if she were looking up a phone number in the contacts list?
  2. if she were typing a phone number on the dial pad?

3. Checking the Gucci website to see what time the 'sales' were ending?

People will perceive what they want to perceive. People don't like seeing bodies dangling from overpasses, unless of course it's got good political slogan or motive behind it.

In all fairness the girl should have some slack cut about the telephone, the interest with her should address her manner of driving just prior to & during the time this aweful incident happening.

If you want to get all fancy about telephones, I would almost bet both of my goolies that there was no shortage of onlookers after the incident capturing 'happy snaps' on their telephones.....as they do.

Edited by neverdie

There are hundreds of screenshots now of her Facebook that she was making at the time that picture was taken. She added 555 (hahaha) after making the posts about the accident.

Also see the pictures of the two injured people lieing, unattended, just feet away from her. She made no attempt to help any of the injured and dying at any time but chose to post on Facebook and (maybe) Twitter instead.

Her Facebook account has now been deleted but only after many people took screenshots of her posts.

3. Checking the Gucci website to see what time the 'sales' were ending?

People will perceive what they want to perceive. People don't like seeing bodies dangling from overpasses, unless of course it's got good political slogan or motive behind it.

In all fairness the girl should have some slack cut about the telephone, the interest with her should address her manner of driving just prior to & during the time this aweful incident happening.

If you want to get all fancy about telephones, I would almost bet both of my goolies that there was no shortage of onlookers after the incident capturing 'happy snaps' on their telephones.....as they do.

She was making Facebook Posts while two people lay near her badly injured.

One FB Page got over 300,000 members in under 48 hours. Most people are angry about her leaving these people lieing inhured while she posted on FB rather than angry about her causing the accident itself.

The girls father is retired military. I think he was a lieutenant but know he was not a General. So, he is not a "VERY" high ranking official.

Her Uncle is General Wit Thephasdin na Ayutthaya, chairman of the Army's staff. Her father is a retired Colonel but I believe in the police not the army.

Edited by paulrobertlane

Police say a 16yearold girl, a minor, was driving the sedan that collided with a passenger van in a horror road accident...

...The unnamed girl, who said for the first time that she was 17 years of age...

I guess it depends how one counts the years. Did the police check her ID card?

Bit of a feeding frenzy here.

Would it be possible to wait for the investigation reports?

There is a strong likelihood that the van driver was responsible for the fatal error.

Yes, I know an unlicensed driver should not be behind the wheel, but that's how it is in Thailand.

The mother is doing what any mother would do, defending her child.

There are plenty of events like this that occur on a weekly basis. The difference is that the drivers often flee or lack the means of compensation.

That's how it is in Thailand? Maybe a little feeding frenzy might bring about some change then, and the rich and influential will be held responsible for their actions.

"There is a strong likelihood that the van driver was responsible for the fatal error." Is there really? In who's mind besides yours and her mother's? It has been suggested that the girl is actually only 15, so how young can you be to drive a car involved in a 9 person fatality, and still not be at fault? 13? 11? 9? 3?

All I am saying is that blame cannot be absolute. In vehicle crashes responsibility usually rests with multiple parties, i.e. a failure to leave distance, speeding, a failure to observe rule change rules etc. It is easy to blame the 15 0r 16 year old girl, but wait and see what the van driver was doing. I think that it is a given that minivan drivers have questionable road behaviour. There is a strong likelihood that the inexperienced teenager when confronted with dangerous situation responded inappropriately. I am not arguing the girl's innocence or lack of responsibility, just that we allow all the facts of the crash to be discovered and analyzed. The bigger issue is why are unlicensed drivers allowed on the roads and why there is a minimal enforcement effort made.

She was making Facebook Posts while two people lay near her badly injured.

One FB Page got over 300,000 members in under 48 hours. Most people are angry about her leaving these people lieing inhured while she posted on FB rather than angry about her causing the accident itself.

You witnessed this with your eyes, or does it come from what you read from some website or rumour?

I'm not condoning anything she did whatsoever, however a proper investigation into the entire incident should be conducted and if she didnt 'render assistance' and she was in the position to then the Police can also charge her with the offence listed under Section 78 of the Land Traffic Act, for not rendering assistance.

I wasnt there & I'm sure as hell not aware of what point in time when that photograph was taken, however, it was most likely taken by a reporter & last time I checked the motorway wasnt lined with reporters waiting to take photographs. It could may very well be the case that at that moment in time all the injured were being professionally cared for, when that photograph was taken.

Edited by neverdie

There are hundreds of screenshots now of her Facebook that she was making at the time that picture was taken. She added 555 (hahaha) after making the posts about the accident.

Also see the pictures of the two injured people lieing, unattended, just feet away from her. She made no attempt to help any of the injured and dying at any time but chose to post on Facebook and (maybe) Twitter instead.

Her Facebook account has now been deleted but only after many people took screenshots of her posts.

You may want to get your facts from a place beyond FB.

All facts to this point indicate the Twitter post and the 555 comments were fabrications and she denies them (facts easily checked)

She was trapped in her vehicle until rescue workers freed her. So, emergency crews were already on hand, the photo was not taking moments after the wreck.

She was injured (actually did the above interview in a wheel chair) and had been hospitalized at least until Thursday.

The police also would not let her go to the hospital until she called her family (she is a minor) and got the insurance information which is what she claims to be doing on the phone in the picture.

Edited by Nisa

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-01

So i am right more or less right when i asked whether the father is a general...

...There are hundreds of screenshots now of her Facebook that she was making at the time that picture was taken. She added 555 (hahaha) after making the posts about the accident...

I understood that this was a Facebook account created by other people, with the intent of maligning the driver of the Honda Civic. Did I misunderstand something?

Sedan driver to face several charges

By The Nation

...She has been the subject of a public outburst on various Web boards, including a Facebook page set up to criticise her...

...There are hundreds of screenshots now of her Facebook that she was making at the time that picture was taken. She added 555 (hahaha) after making the posts about the accident...

I understood that this was a Facebook account created by other people, with the intent of maligning the driver of the Honda Civic. Did I misunderstand something?

No, you are not missing anything. You are simply witnessing first hand the mentality and knowledge level of this incident of those kins of people who are part of the keyboard commandos on facebook.

Doesnt it show the absolute ignorant indifference to the law when hi so mummy darling can put her daughter right in the poo with the below comments. She still believes they are above the "common peoples law". Maybe she is correct!

She said her daughter indeed drove at high speed but it was the van that tried to move into the lane she was using.

"When she signalled the light to ask for the way and [her intentions] with her lights, the van moved back to its lane. She tried to speed up but the van came back too fast. That's how the accident took place," the mother insisted.

She urged police to check all security cameras on the tollway to find out the truth.

Oh well, she flashed her lights then that makes it ok ... The 'get of my way attitude' if you don't, you deserve what happens :annoyed: ...

Edited by WarpSpeed

You are simply witnessing first hand the mentality and knowledge level of this incident of those kins of people who are part of the keyboard commandos on facebook.

And its a great thing there are people like you about Nisa that can go onto facebook and challenge those people that are doing those things instead of hastling people on a forum who are not.

As a non-facebook, peoplepage,tweetertwooter, whatever user I am only guessing that it is possible to see who is submitting what and challenging those individuals directly.

In vehicle crashes responsibility usually rests with multiple parties,

Really, 'Usually' really? Perhaps you are trying to say that 'sometimes there are contributing factors' to motor vehicle collisions.

Not sure about accident themselves from a criminal standpoint but often from a civil stand point "responsibility" is often divided among the parties. Not sure about the law here as the police seem to mix criminal charges and victim compensation together right from the get go but in the US you would sue somebody and a jury or judge might find (random numbers/situation to follow) that 80% was the sedan's fault and 20% was the vans fault. So, if somebody lost $10,000 in property in an accident the compensation would be split 80 / 20. A very streamlined explanation but this could be what the original poster was stating.

Edited by Nisa

I don't know what people expect.

This girl was doing no more than many other drivers on the road; flashing lights and speeding is not the arrogance of wealth, she didn't expect this to happen. The result of the accident is not under her control, if it were there would have been no injuries, only the collision itself, (this is my opinion based on the fact that peoples eyes are in the front of their heads.)

The accident was caused by a lack of imagination and experience, not surprisingly, often found in the young, combined with the attitude of society toward rules. She shouldn't be punished for being young, or for society's failings, and I fully expect that she wont be.

Not sure about accident themselves from a criminal standpoint but often from a civil stand point "responsibility" is often divided among the parties.

I definately agree with that. Often alot of stuff that goes on @ civil levels is utter nonesense, even moreso in my home country.

My comments only relate to the criminal side of things, again, primarily above all the Police need to fully investigate the matter & proceed in a manner that is outlined by the written law that presently stands. That 'structure' is designed to work for the people as a collective whole.

Whatever dancing goes on in civil terms by insurances companies isnt something that I would want to try and predict :blink::lol:

For all the "na Ayudhya" haters ..

If you really knew about Thai society and how common some Thais with that appendage to their family name are, you would not make some of the silly comments.

I know a number of members of one clan. I'm actually very close friends with one. None of them are "wealthy" .. nor all-powerful.

I don't know what people expect.

This girl was doing no more than many other drivers on the road; flashing lights and speeding is not the arrogance of wealth, she didn't expect this to happen. The result of the accident is not under her control, if it were there would have been no injuries, only the collision itself, (this is my opinion based on the fact that peoples eyes are in the front of their heads.)

The accident was caused by a lack of imagination and experience, not surprisingly, often found in the young, combined with the attitude of society toward rules. She shouldn't be punished for being young, or for society's failings, and I fully expect that she wont be.

She was doing a lot less than others on the road...she didn't have a license and was too young to get one.

The accident was completely under her control. She had no license and no right to be driving in the first place. Experience, skill, reflexes matter not. Her decision to drive caused the deaths of 9 people.

The rest of your post is superfluous given that fact.

I am amazed at all the posters that write, one one hand, that the girl is at fault because she was unlicensed, while at the same time recognize that the driver education in this country is a joke. Which is it? What difference does it make to have a license. if it is so easy to obtain?

Was she underage? Everyone has to learn to drive at some age. It's not how old you are but how well you have been taught, and how well the laws are enforced.

Why were none of the van passengers wearing seat belts, though they were available? Who is at fault for that?

I have been in these vans, and I know for a fact, that this accident could have happened to any of us at any time. It would not surprise me one bit to find out that the van driver made an unsafe lane change at high speed, causing this accident.There is simply no enforced standard for safe driving in Thailand. That is NOT the fault of the average THAI person. That is one of the Govt.'s most important functions in society, but they are too busy doing "other things". The Govt. will spend untold resources "investigating" this accident instead of spending the money on trying to keep them from happening in the first place.

I place the blame for this accident squarely on the Thai Government Motor Vehicle Dept. and the Police. No mandatory driver training, No stop signs at intersections. Failure of the police to intelligently enforce safe driving practice and current laws. The Police just sit around at their "checkpoints" instead of actively enforcing the posted traffic laws. What a joke they are.

I fear for my daughters life that no matter how much I teach her about driving safely in this country, an accident like this could easily happen to her. Or anyone of us.