Teen Involved In Fatal Bangkok Tollway Crash Stressed Out : Mum

webfact

"Why don't they take my life? Why don't I just die?" the girl was quoted as saying.

Well..if she dies or died in the exident she cant pay for her crimes!!

So she can want what she want but i hope she stay's alive so she can pay for her crimes.

And i hope that her parents can be hold responsible to,because if they had give her an education,

and learned what's wrong and right this never would happend.

But unfortunly some rich thai families really think that they can do everything and respect nobody!!.....and mostly they can.

i dont wish bad to the girl but she need to pay like everybody else.

Specially her parents need to feel it they are the source and knewed for sure that her 16 old daughter sometimes drives in a car.

I don't think breaking the law (feeling above it) or disrespect is something relegated to the rich in any way shape or from but they are attributes that can be attributed to many kids/minors. We know nothing about this family to making judgments about what they think or the kind of family they are. A 16 year old driving without a license is not all that uncommon and is done by kids all over the world all the time but most don't result in this kind of tragedy. Most of the time these kids are good kids and often grow up to be well respected people in society.

As for paying like everybody else, the families are going to be compensated well and this would not be the case if the driver was poor and I would venture to bet that a minor would go to jail, even if poor, for this kind of accident. The laws for minors are not designed to punish as they are for adults. But she may get jail time because of all the haters who are making this into something they are clueless about and are somehow already convinced she is not only fully responsible for the accident but that she and her family set out, or at the least could care less, to kill 9 people because they could get away with it due to their last name. Yet, common sense tells us the further thing away from a typical 16-year old's mind is consequences or that these things will happen to them.

Whit all respect....how would we think about this girl if our beloved ones died in this exident???

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Why don't they take my life? Why don't I just die?" the girl was quoted as saying.

Well..if she dies or died in the exident she cant pay for her crimes!!

So she can want what she want but i hope she stay's alive so she can pay for her crimes.

And i hope that her parents can be hold responsible to,because if they had give her an education,

and learned what's wrong and right this never would happend.

But unfortunly some rich thai families really think that they can do everything and respect nobody!!.....and mostly they can.

i dont wish bad to the girl but she need to pay like everybody else.

Specially her parents need to feel it they are the source and knewed for sure that her 16 old daughter sometimes drives in a car.

I don't think breaking the law (feeling above it) or disrespect is something relegated to the rich in any way shape or from but they are attributes that can be attributed to many kids/minors. We know nothing about this family to making judgments about what they think or the kind of family they are. A 16 year old driving without a license is not all that uncommon and is done by kids all over the world all the time but most don't result in this kind of tragedy. Most of the time these kids are good kids and often grow up to be well respected people in society.

As for paying like everybody else, the families are going to be compensated well and this would not be the case if the driver was poor and I would venture to bet that a minor would go to jail, even if poor, for this kind of accident. The laws for minors are not designed to punish as they are for adults. But she may get jail time because of all the haters who are making this into something they are clueless about and are somehow already convinced she is not only fully responsible for the accident but that she and her family set out, or at the least could care less, to kill 9 people because they could get away with it due to their last name. Yet, common sense tells us the further thing away from a typical 16-year old's mind is consequences or that these things will happen to them.

Whit all respect....how would we think about this girl if our beloved ones died in this exident???

And how would we feel if this was our child who made a mistake / acted irresponsibly (as all kids do) with such terrible consequences.

Keep in mind this is Thailand where 95% of the population are Buddhists and don't have the same thirst for revenge or eye-for-an-eye mentality and are much more forgiving and understanding than much of the western societies.

Edited by Nisa

There are hundreds of screenshots now of her Facebook that she was making at the time that picture was taken. She added 555 (hahaha) after making the posts about the accident.

I don't know if this helps you and Maestro in the discussion, but I saw this screenshot:

post-88861-0-12783900-1293866875_thumb.j

paulrobertlane, is the above one of the hundreds of screenshots you referred to?

Also see the pictures of the two injured people lieing, unattended, just feet away from her. She made no attempt to help any of the injured and dying at any time but chose to post on Facebook and (maybe) Twitter instead...

In this photo?

post-88861-0-59414500-1293866015_thumb.j

The above photo is from the link twitpic.com/3kiywy given in the first image in this post and I gather that a lot of Thai people seem to believe that the Honda driver made that post, something which is of course impossible. Nobody can take a photo like that of herself with her phone. Therefore, this must have been on one of those Facebook or Twitter accounts created by haters of the driver. Just shows how gullible some people can be.

A single mistake DID NOT cause this. Its more likely that it was something a whole lot more complicated than that.

You can try and sugar coat it anyway you like.

In my opinion, based on what is out there now, the main causes/results of this tragic incident are:

1. Speed of the 17-year old girls car

2. The Van making an unsafe lane change

3. The lack of use of seat belts by the van passengers.

4. Possible lack of driving experience by the 17-year old.

Not in any particular order.

I say possible because I have no idea how much experience she has driving or if she has a US driver's license .. where she supposedly has spent time and where it would be legal, in some states, for her to drive a vehicle without a DL if accompanied by an adult.

I also don't find her not having a DL having anything to do with the accident unless we want to also agree with the mentality that if "Farang no come Thailand, no have accident, Farang guilty" --- Many Thai's and Farangs drive without valid Thailand or International DL and this should not make them automatically liable for an accident in my opinion. Driving illegally (red plate at night, no DL, illegal equipment ...) should not make you automatically at fault. I would venture to estimate that an 18 year old who followed all the rules and who legally obtains a drivings license in Thailand probably has less experience driving that this girl when they first venture out on the roads.

Edited by Nisa

Some nonsensical posts, among others about "f****** " and "Honda JUNE", and the replies to them have been deleted. From here on, posts will be deleted as necessary without special mention, so if you find your post gone it is because it did not belong here. PM me if you have an issue about a deleted post.

No matter how many times I read the story along with all the comments just 1 thing keeps coming to the front of my mind.......a young unlicensed rich kid driving at high speed! why does rich matter? well I think it matters a lot primarily because of the mindset of wealthy Thai's i.e. nothing to fear from the authorities, position and power is everything here similar to wealthy aristocrats in many countries of the world.

Even if it is proven that she did not directly cause the accident by making a stupid manoeuvre in the car, if she had chosn to follow the law regarding driver licencing in the first place it seems 99.9% certain that this accident would never have taken place. So throw the book at her I say and include all the people who were involved in this horrible tragedy. Specifically the foolish friend who allowed her to use the car.

It seems that she went straight to FB to upload pictures of her car!! presumably whilst the dead and injured were laying about. That is disgusting and sickening, I sincerely hope that is not true.

Edited by Wossnext
Deleted comment on false rumour.

...Also see the pictures of the two injured people lieing, unattended, just feet away from her...

paulrobertlane, I forgot to ask you about the injured people in that photo. My eyesight is not as good as it used to be and I should be verily grateful if you pointed them out to me.

post-88861-0-13299900-1293870156_thumb.j

If law is introduced to make seatbelts mandatory on coaches, and these type of minibus, then the deaths of these unfortunate people will have brought about a change that in time could save thousands of lives........surely this is where we should be using any influence we feel we may have. To raise some good from this carnage.

Edited by 473geo

As far as we know, she was not driving a stolen car.

We can think whatever we want about her behavior but she's not an adult.

Driving recklessly without the required age and therefor the license has been made possible by :

- an adult giving her the keys

- other adults giving her an education where sense of responsibility is totally absent and probably a sense of social superiority

IF the conclusions of the investigation should point to her causing the crash, I think the people to be fully held accountable are the above mentioned, not her. They directly made this situation possible.

How many teenagers would behave stupidly if they saw adults trusting them to the point of pushing them to break the law, giving them a feeling that they are empowered with abilities above common people?

And, me too, I consider this "fuzz" a sane, useful pressure to help justice to be effectively applied even if facts will have to be established by evidences.

A despicable Mercedes driver who voluntarily killed and injured people at a bus stop not long ago, mentioned he "knew high ranking people" and ended up involved in another traffic accident months later, left sour memories to many people waiting for fair enforcement of the law regardless of social positions.

Sincere condolences to the families of all these innocent victims.

How can anyone believe these reports? Now she was playing cat and mouse with the van driver after yesterdays report she 'tapped' the rear of the van. Now we have admissions she loves going fast - I mean how long has the 'prestige named' family had this lunatic at the wheel?

Then we have compensation - what a joke! 150,000 THB for injury or THB200,000 for death - doesn't get much better than that - but wait - there's more. She gets a maximum of THB50,000 fine for reckless driving causing injury and death! Oh yeah and the jail sentence of 10 years which will never occur. And BTW, words last night with someone in the 'know' says she is actually 15. Doesn't seem to matter much now does it?

But let's not forget mum's comment - she was calling her friend on the BB as opposed to yesterday she was calling the family, but this time for insurance? What other gifts of 'truth' will arise from this saga of ducking and weaving?

I must remember this as a precedent to quote in court should the same fate befall me. T.i.T. Life is cheap! dry.gif

Sorry to say, the 200k Baht is about the going rate for accidental death in this country... I know it seems low, but guess that's all a life is worth here... :jap:

Keep in mind this is Thailand where 95% of the population are Buddhists and don't have the same thirst for revenge or eye-for-an-eye mentality and are much more forgiving and understanding than much of the western societies.

Always good to start the New Year with a cracking first class joke - since Thailand's culture is notoriously murderous and vengeful.

Where do these people get their naive ideas?

If law is introduced to make seatbelts mandatory on coaches, and these type of minibus, then the deaths of these unfortunate people will have brought about a change that in time could save thousands of lives........surely this is where we should be using any influence we feel we may have. To raise some good from this carnage.

For sure if the unfortunate victims had been wearing seatbelts, Lives wuold have been saved.

But It's not the answer to make seatbelts a mandatory fitment it's enforcing the use That is the problem.

Helmet use by motorcycle riders is a typical example.

A single mistake DID NOT cause this. Its more likely that it was something a whole lot more complicated than that.

You can try and sugar coat it anyway you like.

In my opinion, based on what is out there now, the main causes/results of this tragic incident are:

1. Speed of the 17-year old girls car

3. The lack of use of seat belts by the van passengers.

4. Possible lack of driving experience by the 17-year old.

Not in any particular order.

I say possible because I have no idea how much experience she has driving or if she has a US driver's license .. where she supposedly has spent time and where it would be legal, in some states, for her to drive a vehicle without a DL if accompanied by an adult.

I also don't find her not having a DL having anything to do with the accident unless we want to also agree with the mentality that if "Farang no come Thailand, no have accident, Farang guilty" --- Many Thai's and Farangs drive without valid Thailand or International DL and this should not make them automatically liable for an accident in my opinion. Driving illegally (red plate at night, no DL, illegal equipment ...) should not make you automatically at fault. I would venture to estimate that an 18 year old who followed all the rules and who legally obtains a drivings license in Thailand probably has less experience driving that this girl when they first venture out on the roads.

How is it that her age has increased, at least in your post, when others are suggesting the opposite, that it is in fact only 15?

Where did you garner the fact that the van made an unsafe lane change? Her mother's evidence, perhaps?

The girl MAY have driving experience in the USA, on the opposite side of the road of course. Have you considered that your US-influenced attitude towards younger drivers (one of that countries more insane attitudes - children allowed to drive V8s, join the military and kill/be killed, but for God's sake don't let them have a beer!) may colour the way you perceive this? Would you feel the same way if she was driving in the US, but 2 years under the legal age there?

What you say SHOULD apply does not. A friend on a motorcycle was hit by a car coming through a give way sign as he was going to work in Aus. Because his blood alcohol level was slightly above the prescribed limit after a party the previous night, he was automatically at fault. Black and white, no argument. If you are driving illegally, you are at fault.

I had a motorcycle for 2 years before I was old enough to get a licence. We lived only 300m from bushland, and the bike was pushed that 300m each way, or my old man would have kicked my RRs until my nose bled and the bike would have disappeared. I told dad that I was old enough to get a licence in the US and he said "Fine, push the bike there and get one."

This is called responsible parenting.

And stop the moral equivalence; what little Johnny is allowed to do, or any body else does has nothing to do with this argument.

I am still waiting for details on the "friend" that owns the car, an accessory before the act. What's the chances another under-age driver?

Edited by OzMick

For sure if the unfortunate victims had been wearing seatbelts, Lives wuold have been saved.

But It's not the answer to make seatbelts a mandatory fitment it's enforcing the use That is the problem.

Helmet use by motorcycle riders is a typical example.

If the seatbelts are not fitted you cannot enforce the law.......I agree, there should also be a massive campaign to enforce the wearing of seatbelts....who carries the responsibility?...the driver, he/she quite simply is instructed by the employer that the coach/minibus does not move until all are belted in.

This would also have a beneficial effect to prevent the possible overloading of vehicles.

The next step is to move on to the transportation of people in the back of pick ups...another area where lives would be saved....contentious though this move would be.

How is it that her age has increased, at least in your post, when others are suggesting the opposite, that it is in fact only 15?

The unnamed girl, who said for the first time that she was 17 years of age, was however cautious when answering questions on aspects that may put her at a disadvantage legally.
News Clipping post from The Nation

and maybe the number of lives saved could be vastly increased by getting the under-age drivers and riders off the road.

A friend on a motorcycle was hit by a car coming through a give way sign as he was going to work in Aus. Because his blood alcohol level was slightly above the prescribed limit after a party the previous night, he was automatically at fault. Black and white, no argument. If you are driving illegally, you are at fault.

Maybe over in Australia but you are incorrect about this being law in Thailand or even the US. The fact is that the vast number of accidents were one of the parties is drunk (even slightly) it is the fault of the drunk. This doesn't make them automatically responsible. Driving Drunk, driving a red plated vehicle at night, driving a stolen vehicle, driving an unregistered car, driving without a DL or driving with an expired DL doesn't automatically make that driver at fault.

Bit of a feeding frenzy here.

Would it be possible to wait for the investigation reports?

There is a strong likelihood that the van driver was responsible for the fatal error.

Yes, I know an unlicensed driver should not be behind the wheel, but that's how it is in Thailand.

The mother is doing what any mother would do, defending her child.

There are plenty of events like this that occur on a weekly basis. The difference is that the drivers often flee or lack the means of compensation.

That's how it is in Thailand? Maybe a little feeding frenzy might bring about some change then, and the rich and influential will be held responsible for their actions.

"There is a strong likelihood that the van driver was responsible for the fatal error." Is there really? In who's mind besides yours and her mother's? It has been suggested that the girl is actually only 15, so how young can you be to drive a car involved in a 9 person fatality, and still not be at fault? 13? 11? 9? 3?

All I am saying is that blame cannot be absolute. In vehicle crashes responsibility usually rests with multiple parties, i.e. a failure to leave distance, speeding, a failure to observe rule change rules etc. It is easy to blame the 15 0r 16 year old girl, but wait and see what the van driver was doing. I think that it is a given that minivan drivers have questionable road behaviour. There is a strong likelihood that the inexperienced teenager when confronted with dangerous situation responded inappropriately. I am not arguing the girl's innocence or lack of responsibility, just that we allow all the facts of the crash to be discovered and analyzed. The bigger issue is why are unlicensed drivers allowed on the roads and why there is a minimal enforcement effort made.

I have a quote for you. ".............you can think what you want, but the law is the law." Recognize that? You wrote it on the Pai thread.

The law is that you will be 18 years of age and obtain a driving or rider's licence before operating a motor vehicle in this country. If you do not do this, you are driving illegally and automatically at fault.

STOP bundling the van driver with other mini-van drivers. There is no evidence that she did anything wrong and numerous posts praising her and the van company involved.

And don't even start with the moral equivalence BS about other people get away with it. If this family is forced to pay millions of baht in compensation to the victims, then the number of under-age drivers/riders could be significantly reduced, even amongst the rich and fatuous.

As a side note, I did like that her half/step/whatever brother apologised to his fans for breaking his girlfriend's nose. I wonder if he apologised to her? Maybe he sent her a text, or put it on her Facebook.

A friend on a motorcycle was hit by a car coming through a give way sign as he was going to work in Aus. Because his blood alcohol level was slightly above the prescribed limit after a party the previous night, he was automatically at fault. Black and white, no argument. If you are driving illegally, you are at fault.

Maybe over in Australia but you are incorrect about this being law in Thailand or even the US. The fact is that the vast number of accidents were one of the parties is drunk (even slightly) it is the fault of the drunk. This doesn't make them automatically responsible. Driving Drunk, driving a red plated vehicle at night, driving a stolen vehicle, driving an unregistered car, driving without a DL or driving with an expired DL doesn't automatically make that driver at fault.

I think you may be wrong about this situation in Thailand. I had a minor bingle with a Thai, and the BIB were siding with him even after I produced my licence and rego and asked to see those of the other party. I got out my phone and asked which Police Station should my lawyer come to, and the decision was immediately reversed. I wonder why?

By the way, it has been explained to me that the reason farangs are considered always in the wrong, is that they have the money to pay for the damage, and the matter can be wrapped up and disposed of rapidly. And, of couse, the Thai will understand that a small donation is required, much less than the cost of the accident, whereas the farang will likely suggest that the BIB go away and have sexual congress with himself.

Any word on the company and/or van driver having a legal license to transport people for a fee as is required in Thailand?

If they didn't have one would this make them automatically responsible too? whistling.gif

My understanding is these Vans operate pretty much unregulated as opposed to Taxis, buses, Tuk Tuks as the whole van transport business here started out illegally / underground.

I think you may be wrong about this situation in Thailand. I had a minor bingle with a Thai, and the BIB were siding with him even after I produced my licence and rego and asked to see those of the other party. I got out my phone and asked which Police Station should my lawyer come to, and the decision was immediately reversed. I wonder why?

By the way, it has been explained to me that the reason farangs are considered always in the wrong, is that they have the money to pay for the damage, and the matter can be wrapped up and disposed of rapidly. And, of couse, the Thai will understand that a small donation is required, much less than the cost of the accident, whereas the farang will likely suggest that the BIB go away and have sexual congress with himself.

You argument appears to make no sense since you say you had a DL. (Edit) unless you are saying you were at fault for this "minor bingle" which required police intervention and the other driver had no DL. If this is the case maybe the other driver didn't want to be ticketed for driving w/o a DL since it would be more than any compensation you offered since it was a "minor bingle"

As for Farang always being at fault because of deeper pockets then I guess we should question any reports from police which indicate the girl was at fault since it seems clear they have deeper pockets than the van's driver.

Edited by Nisa

You make the assumption it was an unsafe lane change on what basis?

hint: there is case law in Thailand that already exist in relation to a road user who is abiding by the traffic regulations & the reasonably expect of what they can expect in relation to fellow roadusers. I will see if I can find it for you.

FOR EXAMPLE:

Vehicle A is waiting at a 'T' intersection & has to give way to all other vehicles. The driver of the vehicle stops and waits until all is clear & no approaching vehicles can be seen & after checking all directions turns right through the intersection. At that exact moment vehicle B travelling at high speed, well above the posted speed limit rounds a curve near the intersection & collides with the vehicle A. In this scenario, at a criminal level, was the driver of vehicle A driving unsafely?

See if you can apply the above scenario to what you already know about this situation, assuming you only know what has been released thus far regarding this collision. Are you still assuming that the van was driving dangerously? What other evidence do you have of this allegation?

I personally have observed that there seems to be a misunderstanding amoungst drivers on the motorway/tollway or whatever you want to call it. People seem to think they can simply travel at whatever speed they like and as they approach other vehicles from behind they can simply FLASH THEIR HIGH BEAM and force their way through without taking all due care. These same people think that if that vehicle obstructing their lane doesnt move quickly enough then they can simply swerve from lane to lane & negate the situation that way.

It isnt illegal in Thailand to overtake traffic travelling in the same direction on the left hand side (on a multi-laned road) and Section 34 of the Land Traffic Act of 1979 clearly states 5 reasons when a vehicle may use other lanes other than the left hand one on a multi-laned road. What, if anything, have you seen that would suggest that the van didnt have a lawful excuse to use one of those lanes? Have you not thought of the possibility that it was also approaching another slower moving vehicle & wanted to overtake?

Please also note that the process of overtaking does not mean that posted speed limit does NOT apply. The speed limit cannot be exceeded by anyone who doesnt have an exemption under the act.

I wonder what your definition of 'Driving Dangerously' actually is. Here you are nominating a deceased person to having had changed lanes dangerously, yet you are vigerously defending another person who at the outset of various reports appears to have been driving in a manner more extreme than this alleged illegal lane change? Are you now not doing to the deceased minivan driver what you have so vigerously accusing others of doing in relation to the other driver?

Edited by neverdie

Always good to start the New Year with a cracking first class joke - since Thailand's culture is notoriously murderous and vengeful.

Where do these people get their naive ideas?

:lol:

and maybe the number of lives saved could be vastly increased by getting the under-age drivers and riders off the road.

Of course....any ideas how to limit the amount of under-age drivers on the road? Know how many there actually are? What type of numbers we are looking to decrease?...........in the meantime shall we try and concentrate on the areas where there can be a major and lasting change in the life expectancy of every day Thai travellers.

Any word on the company and/or van driver having a legal license to transport people for a fee as is required in Thailand?

If they didn't have one would this make them automatically responsible too? whistling.gif

My understanding is these Vans operate pretty much unregulated as opposed to Taxis, buses, Tuk Tuks as the whole van transport business here started out illegally / underground.

What even those vans that seem to be marked up with 'BMA' stickers/papers and the like?

I was curious about the family's term sending her "BACK" to the USA, as reported in the article above..

In normal English, you'd presume that meant she'd already been there in the past...

But since I'm assuming that's a translation from the original Thai language comment, hard to know for sure.... But it makes you wonder where she might have picked up her habits.

Interestingly, still nothing from the family with "honour and dignity" about what their 16/17 year old was doing speeding on the highway at night in a car she didn't own (a friend's car???) and lacking a driver's license....

In one of the earlier links posted here it says the girl had recently returned from the US.

There's also audio of her interview yesterday here:

Edited by katana

You argument appears to make no sense since you say you had a DL. (Edit) unless you are saying you were at fault for this "minor bingle" which required police intervention and the other driver had no DL. If this is the case maybe the other driver didn't want to be ticketed for driving w/o a DL since it would be more than any compensation you offered since it was a "minor bingle"

As for Farang always being at fault because of deeper pockets then I guess we should question any reports from police which indicate the girl was at fault since it seems clear they have deeper pockets than the van's driver.

Did you have a big night out perhaps?

I considered the other driver at fault, but that decision is not mine to make. The BIB decide who is in the right.

Yes, I had a licence, and my truck was registered/taxed. I don;t know about the other party because no evidence was presented.

I believe that the BIB decision was influenced by corruption, but they didn't wish to have to defend that decision in front of seniors/courts.

The damage was several thousand baht, the offence of driving without a licence could be settled for a hundred or 2 ex gratia.

The last comment is either meant as a joke or is an indication of a damaged mind. The power and influence that this family commands supercedes minor greed by an astronomical proportion - the suggestion that it would influence against the girl is inane.

The last comment is either meant as a joke or is an indication of a damaged mind. The power and influence that this family commands supercedes minor greed by an astronomical proportion - the suggestion that it would influence against the girl is inane.

Interesting because if this was another minor without this last name, we wouldn't even know her name since it is illegal to name a minor the way the press has. Seems a cover-up, if one was going to take place, would have started with us not even knowing she was from an influential family.

Of course....any ideas how to limit the amount of under-age drivers on the road? Know how many there actually are? What type of numbers we are looking to decrease?...........in the meantime shall we try and concentrate on the areas where there can be a major and lasting change in the life expectancy of every day Thai travellers.

Pick a school, any school in Thailand. Stand outside between 1500-1600 hours any school day. If you think that the school that you picked is anywhere near average, count the number of obviously under-age riders/drivers that emerge and multiply by the number of schools in Thailand. More than a million, probably. These are every day travellers.