What Should I Expect To Pay For Land In Nakhon Nowhere?

nomadic

I've been looking at some undeveloped land to build a primary residence on near my wife's village, and I have been getting quotes of 100,000-150,000 baht per rai, which seems a bit steep to me considering the remote location. I am in Na Thom district about 70km NE of Sakon Nakhon city. I am not looking to produce anything on the land, just build a house and dig a large pond for fishing. So, is 150,000 per rai the stupid farang price, or is that just how much land costs around here? Thanks in advance.

I don't know your situation but one thing you may want to consider is that if you are close to her family then you could expect them to be visiting all day everyday. Which of course gives them more opportunity to ask for money for all kinds of things.

Just a thought.

I don't know your situation but one thing you may want to consider is that if you are close to her family then you could expect them to be visiting all day everyday. Which of course gives them more opportunity to ask for money for all kinds of things.

Just a thought.

Heh, that's a reasonable concern, but I've been living with them for the last 3 months and they've never asked for a penny more than I've voluntarily given them. They are decent, hard working folks. Also, if they are looking for uncle moneybags, they are barking up the wrong tree. :)

hahahaha, good on you. You seem to be the same as me. My girl's parents live in Suk Pai Bun in the Soeng Seng district. About an hour east of Korat. I have told her I've got nothing, she is happy, her mother thinks a little different.

I have spoken about getting a place soon in Korat but she wants to get a house in her village close to relatives. Actually she even mentioned that I shouldn't buy any house as we can live with her parents (sort of), they have 2 homes next to each other and we would live in one of them.

Of course I know the catch......we would live in the old ramshackle home and I would be expected to do it up to being habitable. Then of course I'd be paying for everything they want every time they felt inclined to get something.

So bottom line for me is that I've told her I'm not living in the village. She seemed happy enough and just said she will go where I want to to.

Good luck to you, maybe a few beers together when we are both settled.

cheers

hahahaha, good on you. You seem to be the same as me. My girl's parents live in Suk Pai Bun in the Soeng Seng district. About an hour east of Korat. I have told her I've got nothing, she is happy, her mother thinks a little different.

I have spoken about getting a place soon in Korat but she wants to get a house in her village close to relatives. Actually she even mentioned that I shouldn't buy any house as we can live with her parents (sort of), they have 2 homes next to each other and we would live in one of them.

Of course I know the catch......we would live in the old ramshackle home and I would be expected to do it up to being habitable. Then of course I'd be paying for everything they want every time they felt inclined to get something.

So bottom line for me is that I've told her I'm not living in the village. She seemed happy enough and just said she will go where I want to to.

Good luck to you, maybe a few beers together when we are both settled.

cheers

Don't forget the other side of the equation: I haven't had to cook, clean, or do any other drudgery for the entire time I've been here, and I'm very well fed and entertained. I am lucky though, there are plenty of folks around the village that would drive me up the walls if I had to live with them, but this family is good people; no alcoholism, vagrancy, etc. I told them that they are welcome to live with me when I build my place, but I don't know if they will take me up on the offer or stay here in the family home. As the husband of the oldest daughter, it would be good of me to fix up the family home a bit, but a new coat of paint and some insulation on the roof is really all it needs. Of course, I am a man of simple needs, and ramshackle is just fine for me.

I think near Na Thom the price is too high.just a village 15 k from you incl a house 60.000 baht on a half rai ( old owners in need).half rai is the average land for a thai house there. good luck

Yeah, unfortunately it's either buy land near the family home, or find a new wife. :)

Hi all, not too many posts so far from me, relative newbie.

A little about me. Did the usual thing for a few years & visited LOS for R & R& general party time. Usually when you least expect it the love bug bights. After about 6 trips over 18 months we married in May of 09. Wife traveled to Oz with me & is now on permanent resident visa.

I did the usual thing & built a house for family. Wife is working & sends money over on a regular basis. It's good that I'm no longer the walking ATM. I intend to retire in about 2 years & relocate to LOS. I'll be asking plenty of questions on the forum as the time gets nearer.

The proposed plan was to build or buy in or near family village, assumed that was the expected thing. Have recently been informed most emphatically that we will NOT be settling near the family. We will live far away so we can visit family when we want, not when family wants to come see us. If they are near us they will always be at our home wanting something. Do you think this could have something to do with my wife understanding all falangs are not wealthy. Her having to find a job here & work some pretty long hours at a menial task might have done the trick ??? It was her idea to work. She said she was embarased to have to ask me for money to send to her family.

I constantly read negative items about relationships & how they can be a financial disaster. Thought I might share a positive story. I realize we are still in Oz & marriage is relatively young but so far so good.

Wish you all a Happy New Year & safe & healthy 2011

That would be a good price if it is on a paved road, has water and electric access and on high land where you will not have to add 100 truck loads of dirt to bring it up above the flood line.. Had a friend buy in a "remote" area of Issan and had to pay 100,000 baht to get electric to his property. Cost of the poles, wire. labor AND transformer.