A Xmas Chao Praya Catfish

kenny999

• 3 months later...

Nice fish kenny999.....i am not sure what all the commotion is about whether your fish is 47.5 kg or not !!! Guessing the size of a fish from a photo can be very difficult and is best left to the actual angler to give the weight seeing as he was the one that weighed and lifted the fish for the photo.[

attachment=137642:35 kg Mehkong.jpg]

post-126208-0-25109100-1303632272_thumb.

post-126208-0-85809200-1303632274_thumb.

post-126208-0-41893200-1303632279_thumb.

Happy hooking :rolleyes:

post-126208-0-12021800-1303632266_thumb.

Nice fish kenny999.....i am not sure what all the commotion is about whether your fish is 47.5 kg or not !!! Guessing the size of a fish from a photo can be very difficult and is best left to the actual angler to give the weight seeing as he was the one that weighed and lifted the fish for the photo.[

At last someone with some common sense and not on here just to take the pis* all the commotion was people who thought they knew better but had nothing to say other than make an issue about the weight of the fish, but as I always say up to them!!! nice pictures of your fish by the way!!!

At last someone with some common sense and not on here just to take the pis* all the commotion was people who thought they knew better but had nothing to say other than make an issue about the weight of the fish, but as I always say up to them!!! nice pictures of your fish by the way!!!

It's nice to be important....but more important to be nice !!!!

I have been fishing for many years and also spent 14 years in the fish industry,so as you can imagine i have had a lot of fish in my hands and the weight of a fish can be very deceiving ....thanks for your comment about my photos,i actually posted them so show the other folks how a photo doesn't always show the true weight.The photo taken at Jomtien was a small fish but weighed 24 kg, compared to my friends fish (night photo) of 29 kg his fish looked twice the size of mine but was only 5 kg heavier.....and then if you compare those to the Bungsanram photo (34 kg),,,,3 totally different looking fish (size) but only 10 kg difference,

Shaggy

Oh btw,the Mehkong photo doesn't have anything to do with the other 3 photos....i just wanted to show it off because it is my best catfish til now :rolleyes:.Any guesses on the weight folks?

Shaggy

I never try and guess the weight of other peoples fish to me it is a great fish and the weight you or anyone else says it is, but others on here will dispute any weight you say, don't forget these people were there with you!!!

Oh btw,the Mehkong photo doesn't have anything to do with the other 3 photos....i just wanted to show it off because it is my best catfish til now :rolleyes:.Any guesses on the weight folks?

Shaggy

I normally dont guess at all unless i think the weight is really off. I have a pair of scales that go up to 100kg. The only problem is finding a good sling for it.

Figured the fish to be around the 70 kg mark,we did have the choice to get a digital scale from the owner but the fish (and me) was tired after 50 minute battle and i wanted to get it back in the water ASAP.

Kenny,where did you catch your monster?have never fished for the Chao Praya Catfish but i have heard they put up a good fight.

Shaggy

Figured the fish to be around the 70 kg mark,we did have the choice to get a digital scale from the owner but the fish (and me) was tired after 50 minute battle and i wanted to get it back in the water ASAP.

Kenny,where did you catch your monster?have never fished for the Chao Praya Catfish but i have heard they put up a good fight.

Shaggy

The fish was caught at Cha Am fishing park, yes they put up a great fight but the most exciting thing is when they take the bait, the fastest run I have ever experienced, live bait is the way but they do take dead bait and bread.

Sounds great....you can't beat the sound of a real emptying itself on turbo.I have never been to Cha am,but i googled it and it looks like a nice place to chill out for sometime by the coast..I had an offer to go grouper fishing from a Thai friend of mine earlier this year but unfortunately was too busy at the time,that was from Hua hin which i believe is only up the road from Cha am.Next time he offers i must make a point of going and then i can kill two birds with one stone...of two fish with one hook :rolleyes:

shaggy

There are just a few Chao Praya in Cha Ams main lake (between 4 and 6 of a reasonable size) the two biggest are a few pounds either side 100lb (This was about a year ago) the other just under a 100lb.

I know from experience that the size of Chao Praya Catfish can be very deceptive in photo's somehow the photo's do not do them any justice. One of the reasons for this is that they have a relatively short body length compared to Mekongs, and they often have a very fat belly. I wonder how big people think this Chao Praya Catfish is?

I can tell you we have had two very big fish from Palm Tree in the last 6 weeks. I too have wieghed Tapa on certified scales to 43.5kg. This fish was considerably bigger than that but was unwieghed but it had 1.2 meter girth at its widest point, doesnt look that way does it? We orginally over estimated this fish, but I do believe it is well in excess of 60kgs (That means I know it is).

post-32215-0-78354200-1304318630_thumb.j

Edited by rufanuf

There are just a few Chao Praya in Cha Ams main lake (between 4 and 6 of a reasonable size) the two biggest are a few pounds either side 100lb (This was about a year ago) the other just under a 100lb.

I know from experience that the size of Chao Praya Catfish can be very deceptive in photo's somehow the photo's do not do them any justice. One of the reasons for this is that they have a relatively short body length compared to Mekongs, and they often have a very fat belly. I wonder how big people think this Chao Praya Catfish is?

I can tell you we have had two very big fish from Palm Tree in the last 6 weeks. I too have wieghed Tapa on certified scales to 43.5kg. This fish was considerably bigger than that but was unwieghed but it had 1.2 meter girth at its widest point, doesnt look that way does it? We orginally over estimated this fish, but I do believe it is well in excess of 60kgs (That means I know it is).

Just wondering why a company like yours does not own a pair of scales and a good sling (i know slings are a problem as i am trying to get one too its not that good to weigh a fish in a net). This is not criticism just wondering why, because it is after all your work.

Just wondering why a company like yours does not own a pair of scales and a good sling (i know slings are a problem as i am trying to get one too its not that good to weigh a fish in a net). This is not criticism just wondering why, because it is after all your work.

Of course we own scales, certified and callibrated by the wieghts institute annually, ready to do world records (but we dont chase or encourage them either) but we dont encourage the weighing of fish much anymore, perhaps with the exception of Chao Praya and Mekongs, simply becuase we put the fishes welfare first. That being said its quite safe to wiegh fish if its done with care and speed, but those two elements are all too often absent in the staff of the fisheries who are responsible for the fish once its netted in most cases, so unless customers absolutely insist we don't weigh, its just a matter of whats more important to the angler, and happily most anglers are not so concerned with precise wieghts as you might think, when they have it explained to them that it could stress out the catch unduely.

Edited by rufanuf

Of course we own scales.

Then why was it not weighted ?