Fishing In Natural Waters Versus Fishing In Paid For Waters

robblok

Someone made a remark in an other topic about farmed fish and artificial waters. My view on this is that in Thailand in general there are not many fish alive left in natural waters. The Thai will eat every big fish they catch. Also its hard to get to natural waters. I have tried to find a spot on the chao praya river to fish but i so far haven't found a spot. Its not like in other countries where there is a lot of accessible nature.

I must say if see big fish caught in BSR i will compare them with other big fish caught in BSR not other lakes. I think you should not compare fish from different lakes. Because certain lakes are easy to fish while others are harder to fish and you feel more accomplishment. I know i do, i know there will be others contesting this but that is fishing its different for everyone.

I prefer a little bit harder lake like Shadow over BSR in general. I have been to BSR often too and it sometimes is too easy to catch fish. However i might start going again and target different kinds of fish. I begin to see why some people like fishing for carp. Just because its harder it gives more feeling of accomplishment then pulling one Mekong out after an other.

I do want to fish in Kanchanaburi in nature once would be fun but its not feasible for me to go there all the time as its just too far away.

the big thing with natural spots in and around Bangkok is that they are likely to hold only smaller specimens. For an experience that is as close to a natural lake as possible in and around Bangkok, I suggest checking out Fishing World in Minburi. Stock density is at about the levels you'd find in a stocked lake in the West, i.e. its easier to blank but it makes catches more valuable.

If you do get the chance to Kanchanaburi and fish the reservoirs there do so, as its great, but for the best experience go during the start of rainy season.

the big thing with natural spots in and around Bangkok is that they are likely to hold only smaller specimens. For an experience that is as close to a natural lake as possible in and around Bangkok, I suggest checking out Fishing World in Minburi. Stock density is at about the levels you'd find in a stocked lake in the West, i.e. its easier to blank but it makes catches more valuable.

If you do get the chance to Kanchanaburi and fish the reservoirs there do so, as its great, but for the best experience go during the start of rainy season.

I think Fishing World in minburi and shadow lake are comparible. Both are not real easy. Maybe Minburi is harder i cant say because i never fished there. I will try to go there once next month its quite far from me.

Hi Rob,

I couldn't agree more with your thoughts on that subject. In addition it always baffles me when people dismiss for example somewhere like Bungsamran as "to easy" when there best fish from the venue is a 50kg Mekong or a 20kg Carp. I often find myself thinking "They are missing the point".

it would be a bit like fishing a carp water in Europe that had a handful of monster carp 50lb plus in it but thousands of 20s, and then having caught a load of 20lb fish, decided it was all to easy. The point for me at least is that until you have caught the biggest fish in the pond, you haven't attained your own potential or that of the fisheries. Out here that is a far far greater challenge than a commercial fishery in Europe. Consider the fact that it is believed there are still 5 or more Siamese Carp over 200lb in Bungsamran...when do we see them? Only a couple have been captured and photographed in 25 years of the fisheries life. Two of our first ever customers had a huge 90kg carp in the net whilst we was not present on the Bungalow only for it to slide out of the net (the hook having fallen out) whilst guides wetted the deck. Thats as close in 4 years as we have come to really recognising Bungsamrans potential, and obviously we get a lot more rod hours on Bungsamran than most. Until you have caught a 120kg plus Mekong or a 70kg plus carp on Bungsamran I dont think you have really achieved a lot, which puts us in the not achieved a lot bracket! Despite having had 100kg plus Mekongs and many 50kg plus carp. The degree of difficulty is immense to say the least

Hi Rob,

I couldn't agree more with your thoughts on that subject. In addition it always baffles me when people dismiss for example somewhere like Bungsamran as "to easy" when there best fish from the venue is a 50kg Mekong or a 20kg Carp. I often find myself thinking "They are missing the point".

it would be a bit like fishing a carp water in Europe that had a handful of monster carp 50lb plus in it but thousands of 20s, and then having caught a load of 20lb fish, decided it was all to easy. The point for me at least is that until you have caught the biggest fish in the pond, you haven't attained your own potential or that of the fisheries. Out here that is a far far greater challenge than a commercial fishery in Europe. Consider the fact that it is believed there are still 5 or more Siamese Carp over 200lb in Bungsamran...when do we see them? Only a couple have been captured and photographed in 25 years of the fisheries life. Two of our first ever customers had a huge 90kg carp in the net whilst we was not present on the Bungalow only for it to slide out of the net (the hook having fallen out) whilst guides wetted the deck. Thats as close in 4 years as we have come to really recognising Bungsamrans potential, and obviously we get a lot more rod hours on Bungsamran than most. Until you have caught a 120kg plus Mekong or a 70kg plus carp on Bungsamran I dont think you have really achieved a lot, which puts us in the not achieved a lot bracket! Despite having had 100kg plus Mekongs and many 50kg plus carp. The degree of difficulty is immense to say the least

Like i said compare fishes from BSR with fishes from BSR. I think its still hard to catch carp in BSR (anywhere actually) and i do think its hard targeting the big fish. For me BSR the small (but still strong) fish have lost their appeal because they are too easy to catch. Bigger fish still hold their appeal because they are harder to fish for. But in the end its up to the person fishing what he likes and does not like. I know i would try to target specimens now knowing i might end up with nothing but still that would be more fun then pulling out the smaller ones all the time.

P.s i dont think BSR is too easy for carps as only a few are caught during a day (on the whole) and sometimes none at all. I do think it is easy for the smaller mekongs.

But then again if you live here and have plenty of opportunity to fish here you become picky. My dad and brother loved it a lot in BSR. There is a big difference between tourist anglers and expat anglers (not always bye the way)

But my main point is you should not compare fishes from different lakes because they all have their own difficulty levels. If i were fishing in a lake close to my home a 20kg bug would be a great accomplishment while that same bug would be considered small in BSR (also you would be fishing with different tackle).

Hi Rob,

I agree with you in regards to targeting big mekongs and siamese carps. Bungsamran is THE place if one is to catch big Mekongs and Siamese Carps. Many will say they don't like dual pricing, a tourists'fishery, a bit pricy compare to most other ponds and too easy. But one have to pay a premium for the oppuntunity to catch 100kg plus fish.Again many catch 16kg to 30kg mekongs this is not difficult but to catch one over 100kg is not easy and is an experience. I spend countless fishing days at Bungsamran targeting big mekongs and catch a few 100kg plus but never more than 110kg. All weighed on a calibrated scale. Unless one weigh the fish it;s easy to assume the fish is heavier. According to the Bungsamran boss there a few tipping at 150kg but my mekong days are over. Backbreaking and I know it's very difficult.

As for Siamese Carps it depends who you talk to again according to the boss there are 3 Siamese Carps topping at 120kg. One monster was caught 15 years ago some say 100kg and some dispute this said closer to 80kg. My friend caught a 62kg-weighted-and it was huge and I can't imagine how even a 100kg Siamese Carp look like. My friends and I target Siamese Carps nowadays. It's not easy even to catch one a day.

As a present to my friend Dave who flys back to the UK tomorrow we went Caho fishing at Bungsamran at midnight till 7pm-19 hours-we ran 6 rods at one of the bungalow caught no cahos got fed up shifted to central pier. In the end caught a number of sawai,mekongs.one pacu and one siamese carp weighted at 30kg. Our target is now 70kg and if we catch one we will jump for joy. Not easy.

Yes experience the joy of catching a 100kg plus mekong and ANY Siamese Carp in Bungsamran.

I agree it's more fun to catch the difficult fish than the easy ones, even if the easy ones are bigger. But, it's almost impossible to target only large fish when they all take the same bait. I know I would rather catch one 10 pound Giant snakehead from a big reservoir than a 30 pound Mekong catfish out of a pay for play pond. I still remember the one and only Arawana I caught from a pond south of Hua Hin. It was a total accident and I didn't realize it was so special until much later when I showed others the pictures. Unfortunately, I was taken to the pond by a Thai local and I wouldn't know how to find it again on my own. I much prefer fly fishing the clear mountain streams for mahseer than any other species in Thailand. But, getting to the limited places where they exist in catchable numbers is difficult and takes some research. They are present in the clear mountain creek that tumbles down Mt Erawan in Kanchanaburi, but you are not allowed to fish in the National Park... even by fishing catch and release methods.

The challenge matters, and I know its hard to target true specimens at BSR, but for me freshwater fishing is as much about the setting as it is the fish.

I could not care less about dual pricing as I pay what I think the fishing is worth, and BSR IMHO delivers value for money, if that's what I'm after.

I don't fish freshwater as often as I'd like, and BSR is good for scratching that itch when it arises, but given the luxury of time etc I'd choose a more natural setting if possible.

Edited by quiksilva

The challenge matters, and I know its hard to target true specimens at BSR, but for me freshwater fishing is as much about the setting as it is the fish.

I could not care less about dual pricing as I pay what I think the fishing is worth, and BSR IMHO delivers value for money, if that's what I'm after.

I don't fish freshwater as often as I'd like, and BSR is good for scratching that itch when it arises, but given the luxury of time etc I'd choose a more natural setting if possible.

I think that is why i fish in ngau nam i just like the setting a bit more. But that other fishingpark in minburi sounds nice too.