Is This A Hummingbird?

This is a day flying hawk moth. The scientific name of the genus is Macroglossum. Until now there are 25 different species or more known from Thailand, and the exact species cannot be determined by your photos...

Species of the same genus occur also in Europe including Great Britain...

Erwin

a lot of people confuse these moths with hummingbirds... which incidently, there are none of in Thailand.

Including me as I could have sworn I saw a hummingbird a few times as the size and behavior were very similar. But you are right as usual. Hummingbird moth in Koh Chang which the videographer thought was a bird but was corrected.

looks like Macroglossum sitiene to me..

a lot of people confuse these moths with hummingbirds... which incidently, there are none of in Thailand.

I saw one of them out beside my front terrace and almost fell off trine to get a bettter look as I know there ain't no hummers in SE Asia...we gots plenty in California...they are special birds...

alas, it was just a bug but the illusion was comforting...

(30 years earlier with a room mate that I didn't particularly like: 'tutsi!, that stinkin' cat of yours killed a hummer today...'...tutsi: 'yew lie, bitch...my cat wouldn't hurt a flea and you have a perverted anti-feline agenda...:realangry:'...

but she was right...the cat was murderous...:()

• 8 years later...
On 1/11/2011 at 1:32 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

I saw one of them out beside my front terrace and almost fell off trine to get a bettter look as I know there ain't no hummers in SE Asia...we gots plenty in California...they are special birds...

alas, it was just a bug but the illusion was comforting...

(30 years earlier with a room mate that I didn't particularly like: 'tutsi!, that stinkin' cat of yours killed a hummer today...'...tutsi: 'yew lie, bitch...my cat wouldn't hurt a flea and you have a perverted anti-feline agenda...:realangry:'...

but she was right...the cat was murderous...:()

A

Hey people, Im not here to argue these are moths, they fly like a hummer but very small in size,very cute to watch. I reside in north east Thailand ( khonkaen ) and I have seen something that looks just like a humming bird from the states. My question is do these Hawk Moths grow to @ 7 cm in length which I have seem first hand?