Check-In Service Starts Today On Suvarnabhumi Airport Link

webfact

Check-in service starts today on Airport Link

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_17300.jpg

The Airport Link rapid-transit line from central Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi will launch its air check-in service today at Makkasan City Air Terminal, five months after the rail service started last August.

Initially, the check-in service will be available only for people flying with Thai Airways International and Bangkok Airways.

"Passengers who want to check in and load their luggage can do this from three to 13 hours before departing," said Yuthana Thapcharoen, governor of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT).

There are two train services: the Express Line, a 15-minute non-stop ride from Makkasan terminal to the airport, and the City Line, a commuter train that stops at eight stations.

Tickets for the Express Line are Bt150 per trip, while fares on the City Line range from Bt15 to Bt45 per person, depending on the distance they travel.

The whole City Line journey takes about 27 minutes.

Both lines will run every day from 6am to midnight. Trains will depart every 15 minutes.

The Airport Link is connected to the Bangkok Metro Blue Line subway and BTS Skytrain.

Passengers can transfer from the Airport Link's Makkasan terminal and Phetchaburi station on the Bangkok Metro Blue Line, plus Phya Thai station, which has platforms for both the Airport Link and the Skytrain.

The airport rail line is 28.6 kilometres long and trains run at speeds of up 160kph from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Phya Thai. The stations en route are Lat Krabang, Ban Thap Chang, Hua Mak, Ramkhamhaeng, Makkasan (City Air Terminal), Ratchaprarop and Phya Thai.

Passengers can buy train tickets by using the Smart Pass card or coins. Vending machines offer tickets for up to five people at one time and total prices are calculated automatically. The Smart Pass can be topped up with cash. It can be used by both Thai and foreign passengers.

Previously, the Airport Link ran services with discount fares offered until the end of 2010. A promotional fare of Bt15 covered all journeys during the initial period.

The Airport Link is owned and will be operated by the SRT. The rail line will serve eight stations and cater for up to 50,000 passengers a day.

The baggage check-in system was developed by the SRT and Airports of Thailand (AOT).

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-04

This is a "Hong Kong Lite" check-in service. In HK, one can check in for numerous airlines at the Central HK Airport Express train station, not just HK "flagship" airlines like Cathay Pacific, as Swampy is doing by only providing check-in for Thai and Bangkok Airways "initially". Let's see how long it takes them to establish check-in services for other airlines.

Still, better than what it is now. But if Thailand wants Swampy to be one of the world's top 10 airports.....hmmmmmmm....not quite ready for Prime Time just yet.

This is a "Hong Kong Lite" check-in service. In HK, one can check in for numerous airlines at the Central HK Airport Express train station, not just HK "flagship" airlines like Cathay Pacific, as Swampy is doing by only providing check-in for Thai and Bangkok Airways "initially". Let's see how long it takes them to establish check-in services for other airlines.

Still, better than what it is now. But if Thailand wants Swampy to be one of the world's top 10 airports.....hmmmmmmm....not quite ready for Prime Time just yet.

How late can you check in at HK? I think 3 hours is too early.

The Airport Link is hardly "connected to the Bangkok Metro Blue Line subway". The closest entrances of the stations are about a 400 m walk apart and walking involves crossing a street. Not feasible with some luggage. I don't see an easy solution for this either. I prefer to use the City Link from Phayathai station even though it's farther from my home. One passenger permanently lost for the express :rolleyes:

Edited by lothda

Three hours before check in is ridiculously early. My office is IN Makkasan area and I'll continue to take the smarter way which is drive myself or take a taxi and save at least a full hour of travel stress and travel time.

The Airport Link is hardly "connected to the Bangkok Metro Blue Line subway". The closest entrances of the stations are about a 400 m walk apart and walking involves crossing a street. Not feasible with some luggage. I don't see an easy solution for this either. I prefer to use the City Link from Phayathai station even though it's farther from my home. One passenger permanently lost for the express :rolleyes:

not to mention the safety check in the subway station.

u gotta pass an xray.

once it beeps and the guy is not lenient, u gotta open all your luggage.

lot's of furious looks from the queue assembling behind you. :angry:

Three hours before check in is ridiculously early. My office is IN Makkasan area and I'll continue to take the smarter way which is drive myself or take a taxi and save at least a full hour of travel stress and travel time.

I think 3 hours in advance is the earliest. The question I have is how LATE can one check in. In HK the cutoff time is 90 minutes prior to flight departure to check in at the Express Train station in Central HK.

It can be used by both Thai and foreign passengers.

Thailand is moving forward...:)

You've got the point wrong. It is only passengers (Thai and foreign) on Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways that can check in at Makkasan.

In HK, there are about 20 different airlines that offer check-in service at the Airport Express Train station in Central HK. THAT is the point. Swampy is indeed making progress, but still way behind airports like HK, Changi, etc.

Thai standards are still WAY WAY behind the curve - I myself will continue to use the same transportation system I have been using for many years (Taxi - LOL) to get from BKK to the airport - this decision is based upon the Thai mentality to restrict everyone to only Thai airlines baggage transfers and NOT the multitude of other airlines - one of which is my primary carrier. I am sure if I tested this new system - it would cost a fraction less and not save me any time otherwise.[/font] Thai limited thinking has to be brought to their attention every chance possible - unless you want to have your travels changed daily - whatever mood suits them for the day.

You might checkin before you go to the office, since 13 hours before the departure leaves plenty of time. Then after work just take the train right in time for boarding...

Initial only Thai airways is fine. Its new, they are just testing it. Hopefully they will include more airlines soon.

What gets me is the access to Makkasan. Its a very difficult to place to get to.

Example i live in the China Town area and travel to Hong Kong usually with Thai airways each month.

With 2 people in the taxi living the other side of Bangkok.

1, Its going to be difficult to get to Makkasan.

2, Its going to be cheaper to stay in the taxi at 300 baht for the pair of us.

I just wonder where you have to be for Makkasan to be convenient? Pratunam residents are fine but getting around Makkasan and Phya Thai is difficult. Its one of the most congested areas of Bangkok. Its grid lock around there already. I can't see anyone wanting to risk there flight by going there but we'll see.

Its a step in the right direction but a lot more infrastructure is needed in Bangkok.

My wife and I will definitely try out the check in on the way to Oz in February. I'm skeptical that there will be demand for it though considering how cheap the CityLine remains and how at both BKK and Makkasan you're naturally guided to the CityLine stops rather than the Express stops. Hopefully they'll sort out the pedestrian link between Makkasan and the MRT soon since access to Makkasan is far from great at the moment.

We've taken the CityLine lots even though it probably takes a few extra mins from our flat in the Silom area. We like that you don't have to gamble with travel times (you can essentially predict how long the trip will take within about 15 minutes) like you do with Bangkok traffic. Also - anything that avoids the lottery of insane taxi drivers is good with me.

Considering that Thai and Bangkok Airways represent a big chunk of traffic at the airport this seems to be a good way to trial the check in service before taking a gamble with lots of other airlines. Hopefully they'll add some other big players soon. Air Asia would be great but I don't see it happening since they're low cost...

Ditto for me to some of the comments above..

I live close to both the MRT line and Makkasan station. But because the connection between the airport rail line and the MRT's Petchaburi station is so inconvenient, especially carrying multiple pieces and/or large luggage, I too would continue to use the Phyathai BTS connection to the rail line... And actually, to say the ARL has a "connection" to the MRT line is stretching the definition of "connection" quite a long ways...

And I hadn't even considered the issue, pointed out above, of trying to get your international travel luggage past the security screeners at the entrance to the MRT stations... Ohh geez.... Not that they've ever found anything or gonna find anything the way they do their checks... But just going thru the pretense of looking, especially when someone is carrying large luggage, is gonna be a mess.

In contract, the BTS Phyathai Station has what the MRT station should have had.... a direct and easy dedicated walkway from the BTS station to the ARL station/terminal. Whoever planned or figured the connection configuration between Petchaburi and Makkasan deserves to be run over by a speeding train... :whistling:

The only minor complication of getting luggage thru the BTS station gates is their narrow ticket/pass gates. But most of the time, if the security guard is present, they'll swipe your pass for you and allow you to walk thru the side gate closest to the ticket office, which is quite wide and intended (I assume) for disabled folks or similar purposes.

I've taken the ARL quite a few times from Phyathai to the airport in the past few months, and every time, at varying times of the day, it's been packed to standing room going in both directions... Probably the largest number of people getting on and off at the two ends, but still a lot of Thais getting on and off at the inbetween stations...

I wonder how much of the local Thai patron base will drop off now that the promotional fare has ended and the new higher regular fares start with the new year???

Other than the lack of sufficient escalators at the other stations, meaning passengers have to lug their luggage down multiple flights of stairs, I think the ARL service thus far has been quite good. And the line certainly seems to function well as another flavor of the BTS and MRT for local transit, apart from its airport connection purpose.

PS - the part about the Makkasan airport checkin "initially" being only for Thai Air and BKK Air is a real rip... I wonder how many years, if ever, before the "initial" period ends... It's not like the other airlines, if they intended to participate, didn't have enough lead-up planning time to prepare. The opening of the ARL line was only some years behind schedule....

Edited by jfchandler

The lack of check-in services at Makkasan for all airlines or even all Thai airlines is hardly a deal-breaker. Rather than Hong Kong, a better analogue is found in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where the KLIA Express Rail Link which offers check-in services at KL Sentral for 4 airlines.

FINALLY a public transport link......unfortunately totally useless for all the passengers flying out with another than BBK Airways and Thai.....and I bet thats a lot ((((-:

OK then, in future I will buy only ThaiAirways tickets which cost me double from a normal (good) Airline with friendly staff on board but I save 150.-Baht on a Taxi to or from the airport :lol:

Considering my location on Sukhumvit, early morning flights and lugging baggage, this new service is absolutely useless for me. Even if I were near the airport-train station, I'd still take a taxi ... they're so cheap and I get door to door service any time I want.

Coming out of the Makkasan station in a taxi, there is no right turn towards Asoke where I live. No U turn further up the road as well. That means a big circle and a 30 min (at least) taxi ride. I might as well take a taxi direct from the airport for all the extra hassle and time and cost it will take to take the Express.

The article states that "Initially, the check-in service will be available only for people flying with Thai Airways International and Bangkok Airways." Seems like to me they are going to start with the domestic airlines and will eventually widen the scope of the service. Think it would be a good idea to test the bugs in the service and correct before taking on more airlines. This train is another option that hopefully many will find useful. It is like anything in the beginning it has to prove itself useful and efficient. Hopefully it will and thus result in less strain on taxis and private cars. Time will tell.

Airport Link check-in system launched

BANGKOK, Jan 4 -- Thailand's Suvarnabhumi Airport's Airport Link launched its full operations on Tuesday as its check-in service was opened for the first time, while passenger fares are now at full-fare level after a four-month reduced-fee introductory operation period.

Airline passengers now may use the new check-in and baggage handling service systems at the City Air Terminal, also known as Makkasan Station, for Thai Airways International (THAI) and Bangkok Airways.

More airlines are expected to set up check-in counters in the future.

Passengers may check in 3-12 hours before their scheduled departure time. After check-in they may use the Express Line which provides a 15-minute non-stop journey between Makkasan and the airport.

However, few passengers are using the new check-in services on the first day.

Together with Airport Link service being fully operational Tuesday, fares were increased.

Fares for the City Line, which cost a flat fee Bt15 per trip during the promotional period, have been adjusted from a Bt15 minimum fare to Bt45, the depending on distance.

City Line, departing from Phaya Thai Station, takes 30 minutes to reach the airport as it makes eight stops across the capital to take passengers.

The Express Line shuttle between Makkasan station and Suvarnabhumi airport is now Bt150 per passenger, up from the promotional fare of Bt100.

The 28km rail link connects Suvarnabhumi Airport on the eastern approaches of the capital and the City Air Terminal in Bangkok's Makkasan area, shortening travel times for inbound and outbound air travellers as well as easing arrivals and departures compared to other modes of airport transport.

After long delays in construction and several test runs, the Airport Link began commercial services Aug 23 with special discount fares offered until the end of last year, and the direct check in service system began today.

State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Governor Yutthana Thapcharoen said during the first several months of trials, the City Line was popular as 47,000 passengers were record as peak per day.

He believed the fare adjustment will not affect the eventual number of passengers as it is considered lower than other countries and cheaper when compared with other transportation to Suvarnabhumi airport.

The governor said he believed that full operations will generate a minimum Bt1 million daily for SRT and the passenger load will achieve 50,000 rides per day. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-01-04

Makkasan is a waste of time and money, in my opinion. The service from Phaya Thai is quite adequate at a fraction of the cost. Just check in at the airport, what's the big deal? And coming back it's a darn sight easier to get on the train than join the taxi scrum.

... I just wonder where you have to be for Makkasan to be convenient? ...

I used to stay along Ratchadaphisek Road for a couple of month last year.

There are so many really big MP's out there with a lot of Japanese tourists staying around ...

Makkasan is right between Sukhumvit / Asoke and Ratchadaphisek - 5 min walk from Phetburi MRT station.

Not too bad anyway.

In HK can also check in at Kowloon Airport Express station...not sure why, but I have received more upgrades at this check in than any other airport check-in I use throughout the world... :-)

The Express train is an abysmal failure. They might as well dump it now, before they commit anything more to the service. The Thais just won't pay the exorbitant luxury fare, and there aren't enough tourists to justify the expense of running the service. The City Line is amazingly successful. It is also already overcrowded. They need to take the Express train cars, repaint them, and run longer trains on the City Line. The three car trains they are running are woefully inadequate.

Thai standards are still WAY WAY behind the curve - I myself will continue to use the same transportation system I have been using for many years (Taxi - LOL) to get from BKK to the airport - this decision is based upon the Thai mentality to restrict everyone to only Thai airlines baggage transfers and NOT the multitude of other airlines - one of which is my primary carrier. I am sure if I tested this new system - it would cost a fraction less and not save me any time otherwise.[/font] Thai limited thinking has to be brought to their attention every chance possible - unless you want to have your travels changed daily - whatever mood suits them for the day.

They aren't "restricting" anything.

The other airlines haven't set up their most likely because there are not enough passengers using the link yet.

Of course Thai Airways are there. They are the national airline.