Check-In Service Starts Today On Suvarnabhumi Airport Link

webfact

Coming out of the Makkasan station in a taxi, there is no right turn towards Asoke where I live. No U turn further up the road as well. That means a big circle and a 30 min (at least) taxi ride. I might as well take a taxi direct from the airport for all the extra hassle and time and cost it will take to take the Express.

Yes. That's the biggest gripe I have with the place. It's quite inconvenient to get into and out of.

I live in Ratchada near Esplanade, so it's great for getting home from (if I don't need to walk out to Asoke to get a taxi). But as you say, getting to Sukhumvit involves quite a round trip.

They need access from the back end to get to Petchaburi and Suk Soi 3.

I, for one, appreciate all of the critical remarks posted here.

I am taking the wife and child on their first trip to BKK, staying in Pratunam for some shopping. I had considered using the new ARL, mostly for my daughters pleasure. All children love trains.

So I'm watching an interview on TAN news network with one of the administrators of the new link, and the interviewer starts asking the guy about how difficult it would be for International tourists to use the link. Considering all the hassles posed by hauling luggage thru security, and the other obvious disadvantages to continuing on to your hotel via Makkasan Station, as pointed out by previous posters, it simply will not work for them. The guy admits that it will not be better for international travelers, but might attract backpackers and locals. Do backpackers and locals make up the largest portion of people going to an from the airport?

So now I'm asking myself why they would spend 10 years and 100 bil bht. to build a train that only works for backpackers and locals.

Then I remember what a huge public works project this new line was and I understand. A bridge to nowhere.

So thanks everyone. I'll stick with the Taxi.

I am taking the wife and child on their first trip to BKK, staying in Pratunam for some shopping. I had considered using the new ARL, mostly for my daughters pleasure. All children love trains.

So I'm watching an interview on TAN news network with one of the administrators of the new link, and the interviewer starts asking the guy about how difficult it would be for International tourists to use the link. Considering all the hassles posed by hauling luggage thru security, and the other obvious disadvantages to continuing on to your hotel via Makkasan Station, as pointed out by previous posters, it simply will not work for them. The guy admits that it will not be better for international travelers, but might attract backpackers and locals. Do backpackers and locals make up the largest portion of people going to an from the airport?

So now I'm asking myself why they would spend 10 years and 100 bil bht. to build a train that only works for backpackers and locals.

Then I remember what a huge public works project this new line was and I understand. A bridge to nowhere.

"Hauling luggage thru security" ... what security? There is no security on the ARL (like on the MRT).

Pratunam would be one of the most convenient places for using both the Express (a short taxi ride to / from Makkasan) and City (a station very close to Pratunam) lines.

40,000+ people a day are now using the link and it's only 4 months old. I think it's been well worth the investment of 25 billion baht (not 100 billion - source: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQQ/is_4_45/ai_n13659215/). There may have been a few cost overruns but I doubt the budget quadrupled in size. Regardless - even if the cost doubled being able to build a 160km/h capable rail line 30km long in a densely populated city is remarkable compared to what it would have cost to build it in a developed country (check out CrossRail in London and its £16 billion price tag).

While the link might not be useful for a family of four with luggage/strollers/etc... what rail link anywhere in the world is?

For someone with a backpack or small wheely case it's great and there are plenty of residents using the link for this purpose as well as the tens of thousands of commuters who are benefiting from faster commute times and less time spent twiddling thumbs in traffic.

We'll see how the Express Line pans out. Hopefully the check in service will help drive a few extra passengers to it. If not then perhaps they can refit the Express trains and increase the frequency on the CityLine which would benefit the majority who are taking the cheaper (and slower) option.

And to all those who are so grumpy about this rail link - enjoy your taxis! No one is stopping you from using them and hopefully the traffic on the main road will be less than before since lots of people are using the parallel rail line.

Barry, you're painting a too one-sided view of the comments here by those who have used the ARL....such as myself.

I like the ARL... Anytime I need to go to meet anyone at the airport or if I'm taking a domestic flight, I'll take the BTS Sukhumvit line from my home to Phyathai Station and then onto the ARL there with its very easy, direct BTS/ARL connection and onto the airport. The introductory fare on the City Line was a steal, and still is reasonable at 15 to 45 baht now ongoing... The service has been good, reliable, timely... It works well as a city transit line.

However, I've never yet taken the Express Line, and I probably won't for the foreseeable future. At a regular fare of 150 baht, it's pricey compared to the City Line that goes to the same destination. But more importantly, at least for now, the transit connections at its Makkasan Station (which is much closer to my home than Phyathai) are terrible, as has been detailed above. You can't take BTS or MRT to Makkasan. And while they're promising an elevated walkway between MRT Petchaburi and Makkasan in the future, that won't provide much inducement for me to take the Express Line...

The reason being, when I'm flying internationally, I'm usually carrying several heavy 50 lbs. suitcases. And even if they build the walkway, I'm not keen on lugging them by myself on foot the not short distance between Makkasan and MRT Petchaburi, in addition to all the other lugging involved in any kind of trip.

Likewise, I probably wouldn't take the City Line to the airport for an international flight, because its stations at present require carrying heavy luggage down multiple flights of stairs and the trains themselves, because they are intended for city transit, are not equipped or convenient for people with substantial luggage. That is, no luggage racks, no open space for storing bags, and at least until now, always jam packed with passengers.

So actually, as strange as it sounds, the ARL guy being interviewed probably had it about right: the ARL for now is much more suitable for a backpacker than a family man expat or international tourist with a lot of luggage.

I could, of course, always just take a taxi from home to Makkasan, and then take the ARL Express Line from there. But if I'm going to take a taxi from my home in Sukhumvit, then I might as well just stay in the taxi and have it deliver me to the airport terminal door for a somewhat higher price but without all the hassle.

Frankly, the whole notion of a remote airport check-in terminal at Makkasan and making that the terminus for an Express Line to the airport seems ill-conceived to me. IMHO, it's just not conveniently enough located and well connected to other supporting transit services to make it a sensible hub.

Barry, you're painting a too one-sided view of the comments here by those who have used the ARL....such as myself.

Sorry that you read my post that way! It was more a response to Honolulu's comments about the ARL being a complete waste of money because it doesn't serve every type of passenger coming to Bangkok. My reference to those who dislike the rail link refers to those who think the whole project is a failure and a waste of money.

I agree that the location of the terminal in Makkasan was not particularly well thought out for two main reasons:

- the MRT is still a good 250 metres away even if there is an easy connection built between the two... not ideal

- the road situation around Makkasan makes it difficult to get anywhere useful from the station (not sure how they can fix this?)

A couple of things that may save the Express Line / Check-in:

- the fact that you can check in 13 hours early (check out of your hotel, check in your suitcases and still have a 10 or 11 hours of meetings/shopping depending on whether you're here for business or pleasure)

- new development around the Makkasan area with hotels, office towers, etc... (plenty of open land in the area)

- it's not a taxi and there are plenty of bad stories circulating with travellers, tourists and business people about Bangkok's dodgy taxis

- somehow sorting out the MRT connection / area roads (not sure how!)

The biggest problem that the Express Line has going for it (as you point out) is that the City Line is too cheap! I'm not complaining and have taken the City Line seven times since it opened (and only once taken the Express Line) but why would anyone pay three times as much to save 5 minutes?

In Vancouver, you pay a surcharge (approximately $5 if I remember correctly) if you get on or off at the airport on top of the regular fee. If the City Line had a surcharge that brought the two prices in line with each other it might be feasible, but then most people would probably just take a taxi.

I hope it works out since the opportunity to check in my bags and then head to the office and work for the day is very attractive for me, but I am skeptical as well as you.

The point of my earlier post was about the overall project which I think can already be considered success based on the City Line's ridership and the fact that I get can to the airport in a predictable amount of time without my nerves being shattered by a high-speed taxi ride.

The thing I'll be very interested to see...now that the City Line fares have risen to their ongoing level, is whether all or many of the prior Thai local riders during the promo period will drop off...

There was a separate reference in a newspaper article the other day about the average BKK Thai commuter who takes the bus spending 10 baht on average...I can't remember...per trip or per day... And similarly, a lot of regular Thais think the existing BTS and Skytrain lines are expensive...and they may be for them on their incomes.

But if the City Line prices itself out of the range of normal Thais (I mean raising fares even higher than they are now), given the problems with the Express Line that you just elaborated on beyond what I already said, then the fate and circumstance of the ARL line is going to get interesting.

I can just see next year's Tourism Authority of Thailand slogan: Thailand, the Hub of Backpackers. :lol:

I used the express line yesterday.

Here's my thoughts:

I live a 5 minute walk from Sutthisan MRT. Make that a 10 min walk with a backpack, and small trolley bag, due to poor pavements, kerbs and random trees in the way.

So, next up the security check at the subway entrance. Of course the guys wants me to open my trolley bag. He has a little root around, opens my toiletry bag, and pays special attention to my 2 deoderant spray cans, involving radioing someone (chief deoderant approver?!) before allowing me to pass).

Being that the subway is being touted as a direct link to makkasan station, this malarky is gonna cause some seriously annoying delays at peaktime in busy stations, and of course, had I had some kind of explosive device, it would have gone through anyway..... :whistling:

So, I arrive at Petchaburi station. The correct exit does have some signage, but it is poorly positioned. Anyway, it's exit 3, so I make my way up to street level. It's maybe a 50m walk to the road access to the airport link, crossing a busy road and the railway track. then a further 2/300 meter walk to the actual terminal building entrance. All the way it's big kerbs with no access slopes, constant lifting is required. I was surprised the 'new' pavement flagstones are all uneven and lifting up... quality work....

Once inside, it's no problem. The design is similar to Suvarnabhumi, industial looking, with that 'not yet finished' feel, but ok for me. I saw no more than 20 people inside. Bought my 150b ticket. The express trains are spot on, with real train-like seating, though with limited luggage storage, particularly if you had 1 or more large suitcases, and the train was full. I forsee that the aisles will be blocked with bags. There was 3 people in my carriage at 5.15pm.

I guess eventually the idea is all luggage will be sent, via the check in counter, (I was flying with Qatar air) but for me, arriving 3 hours minimum before, for a 15 min journey, means too long waiting around in the airport, so I'd rather keep my bags with me anyway.

The journey was smooth and very quick, slightly under the 15 minutes.

Will I use it again? Yeah i will, but only with managable luggage.

I'll be returning in a couple of months with much more stuff, and the fact that there are no luggage trolleys available in MRT stations makes it not viable.

The walkway from Petchaburi to the terminal will improve it a lot, if it's well designed, with luggage in mind, i.e lifts and trolleys, and no kerbs!!

The main problem is the access via all mrt/bts stations. They just aren't designed for travellers with luggage in high volumes. I know all stations have lifts, but I get the impression they're for wheelchairs etc as I've never seen them used. Are they always open for use?

Taking a taxi from makkasan to anywhere at most times is a nightmare, as Asoke-Din Deang road is a gridlock hotspot, so coming/going from either direction will require a 1km queue for the uncontrolled U-turn. and as another poster commented, I don't think there is any rear access (?)

To summarise. On paper it works, the trains are excellent, and quick, but in practice, there seems to be alot of issues that weren't considered. TIT I guess....:jap:

Trains will run between 6am and midnight? Is Swampy not a 24hr Airport? I knew there had to be a good reason for living at Bang-Na. Taxi every time.

jb1

I bet they love seeing you with such a juicy fare after 6 hours' wait!!! :lol:

Edited by Cuchulainn

The Express train is an abysmal failure. They might as well dump it now, before they commit anything more to the service. The Thais just won't pay the exorbitant luxury fare, and there aren't enough tourists to justify the expense of running the service. The City Line is amazingly successful. It is also already overcrowded. They need to take the Express train cars, repaint them, and run longer trains on the City Line. The three car trains they are running are woefully inadequate.

The Express was always designed to attract a certain class of pax (think of Narita or Heathrow Express trains as a basic comparison) and not many (outside the upper levels of the SRT Board) thought that it would have more than the current levels of ridership that it does. However, you might see it as a long term project given the future of Makkasan for the eastern High Speed line and the whole Makkasan redevelopment over the next 20 years.

See what ridership is like after 12-24 months. It still won't be that high but it will gradually increase. The Express does give those running late for a flight a guaranteed way to get to the airport in 15 mins, if you time it right (as it did for me a few weeks ago when I was late for a flight).

Cityline ridership will drop a little now with the intro of full fares, esp. for the students around Lat Krabang who have been it instead of a slow bus or more expensive van, and also those airport staff who have saved money instead of a bus or van from the Transport Center. However, growth of the CityLine has always been planned and ridership will increase over the years as it gives those in the eastern suburbs quick access into the center. (Future plans in 15-20 years envisage running 10 car trains for the expected demand).

The SRT is already looking at purchasing 5 more 3 car sets for the CityLine which will mean they can run a schedule less than every 10 mins. Obviously, if they do order more sets it will take a while (1-2yrs) for them to arrive.

I like the ARL... Anytime I need to go to meet anyone at the airport or if I'm taking a domestic flight, I'll take the BTS Sukhumvit line from my home to Phyathai Station and then onto the ARL there with its very easy, direct BTS/ARL connection and onto the airport. The introductory fare on the City Line was a steal, and still is reasonable at 15 to 45 baht now ongoing... The service has been good, reliable, timely... It works well as a city transit line.

Frankly, the whole notion of a remote airport check-in terminal at Makkasan and making that the terminus for an Express Line to the airport seems ill-conceived to me. IMHO, it's just not conveniently enough located and well connected to other supporting transit services to make it a sensible hub.

Makkasan as the location for the CAT does seem a little impractical and strange currently.

However, you need to consider that this is where there was SRT land available and that the whole Makkasan railyards will be redeveloped over the next 20 years into a virtual mini city of office buildings, retail, condos and hopefully open space. (Initial draft plans 5 yrs ago envisaged 4 100+ storey buildings!!!)

The CAT will also be the future terminal for the eastern lines (Rayong High Speed) and Aran/Cambodia. (Much as the new Bang Sue terminal will be for the North & NE lines). Also, the future black line subway will pass via the CAT and the future Orange Line will be located nearby as well as a couple of silly mono-rail lines so it has a central location for future transport.

The SRT does very few things well but this was a good decision for the long term. It looks sparse, empty and badly run now (which it is) but TIT give it some time and gradually improvements will be belatedly made.

Sorry that you read my post that way! It was more a response to Honolulu's comments about the ARL being a complete waste of money because it doesn't serve every type of passenger coming to Bangkok. My reference to those who dislike the rail link refers to those who think the whole project is a failure and a waste of money.

I agree that the location of the terminal in Makkasan was not particularly well thought out for two main reasons:

- the MRT is still a good 250 metres away even if there is an easy connection built between the two... not ideal

- the road situation around Makkasan makes it difficult to get anywhere useful from the station (not sure how they can fix this?)

A couple of things that may save the Express Line / Check-in:

- the fact that you can check in 13 hours early (check out of your hotel, check in your suitcases and still have a 10 or 11 hours of meetings/shopping depending on whether you're here for business or pleasure)

- new development around the Makkasan area with hotels, office towers, etc... (plenty of open land in the area)

- it's not a taxi and there are plenty of bad stories circulating with travellers, tourists and business people about Bangkok's dodgy taxis

- somehow sorting out the MRT connection / area roads (not sure how!)

I never thought that once check-in services commenced that it would be that attractive of many people. It is not like HK where you can check out of your hotel at lunch, go the HK station check-in and then spend the afternoon shopping or sightseeing etc.

It is useful for the long term future of the station but I do foresee many travelling to the CAT 3-13hrs ahead of their flight, checking in and then travelling around BKK when it could be done in one trip closer to their flight. For me, why would I go to the CAT and check in at least 3 hrs before my flight when I normally take the train and arrive at the airport an 1 hour before my flight? I see no real value for most people until there is more of a critical mass of hotels, offices and condos nearby (as you mention) as part of the Makkasan redevelopment which won't happen for years.

The MRT connection will be built by the end of the 3rd quarter of this year (or more realistically the end of the year). The was a problem with the design so it had to be changed. (People forget that the MRT-BTS connection at Asoke opened over a year after the MRT and the one at Silom over 2 years later)

It really is not that difficult with roller luggage. I've done it without hassle (City Line to Phayathai and interchange to BTS or Express Line to Makkasan and interchange to taxi) with a 20kg hold roller bag, a 10kg roller cabin bag plus shoulder laptop bag. I would not recommend City Line with that set-up during rush hour but otherwise no problems. I'm 59 - hardly a backpacker! Incidentally, the one time I tried an Express to MRT interchange the security guys on the MRT took one look at me and one look at my cases and waived me through; laziness has its uses.

I agree though that with Bangkok's super-cheap taxi fares you have to be a public transport enthusiast or scared of the idiot taxi (and other) drivers. There are very few places in the world where you can use a plentiful supply of taxis to get to the heart of a multi-million population city for less than $10US.

Makkasan as the location for the CAT does seem a little impractical and strange currently.

Where else would you put it? (not just aimed at you LG, but a question to all people who question the location)

Also, the future black line subway will pass via the CAT and the future Orange Line will be located nearby as well as a couple of silly mono-rail lines so it has a central location for future transport.

Black Line? I haven't seen anything about that one.

I don't understand people complaining about access to (and difficulty with large bags on) the MRT and BTS from the Airport Link and difficulty with large bags. The MRT and BTS (and the Airport City Line) are commuter lines. They are not designed for the occasional airport traveler. Has anyone every tried carrying luggage on the London Underground or most other commuter lines around the world?

edit: actually, I do understand it. Some people expect seamless, cheap, fast, uncrowded public transport to whisk them from door to door. If you want that, then go out and get a (Star Trek) transporter.

Edited by whybother

I would explain it to you...but then again... why bother?

Of course, after spending billions and billions of baht on a project, it's perfectly reasonable to expect complicated connections, high prices, slow service and crowded conditions... Why else would they have built it, if not to achieve those goals... <_<

edit: actually, I do understand it. Some people expect seamless, cheap, fast, uncrowded public transport to whisk them from door to door. If you want that, then go out and get a (Star Trek) transporter.

Of course, after spending billions and billions of baht on a project, it's perfectly reasonable to expect complicated connections, high prices, slow service and crowded conditions... Why else would they have built it, if not to achieve those goals... <_<

Complicated connections? Perhaps at Makkasan but certainly not at Phaya Thai

High prices? 45 baht (1 GBP) for the City Line and 150 baht (3.20 GBP) for the Express service - compared to 6.90 GBP for the slow train and 18 GBP for the fast train to Heathrow which do not include check in service

Slow service? 25 minutes from the BTS on the City Line and 15 minutes from Makkasan - one of the fastest airport links I've been on (it's no Maglev in Shanghai.... but then again that goes nowhere near where you want it to)

Crowded conditions? Crowded on the City Line perhaps but that comes with success. If you don't like it, take the Express where you'll see more tumbleweed drifting through the aisles than passengers.

It's not perfect but it's nowhere near as bad as you seem to think it is. Anyway... I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy your taxi to the airport which is perfectly fine. This is just one more option to get to the airport (and a number of places in between). Shouldn't we appreciate choice?

Next time, I'll use a few more <_< <_< <_< <_< <_< s

:)

I would explain it to you...but then again... why bother?

Edited by jfchandler

Either we are all whinging, overly critical, complaining and ungrateful or the Thais have it arse about face once again.

Make your own mind up on that one.

I have. And it is obvious to me. (P.S. it is not the latter).

Pretty much everyone on here loves a good old whinge about nothing with some condescending comments about Thais thrown in for good measure.

I honestly can't believe there are people on here calling for the service to be shut as it is a "dismal failure". Then again, actually I can believe it....and it's sad.

I don't remember many, or hardly any, people here calling the ARL a dismal failure or suggesting it be shut down...

I do remember a fair number of people pointing out the obvious, glaring problems that currently exist with the line....And there's really not much argument about those...

That doesn't mean it's not a valuable or worthwhile project. It does mean there are areas where the project planners could have done better to make it more useful and convenient to more people.

PRESS RELEASE

Bangkok Airways opens City Check-in at Makkasan City Air Terminal

Bangkok Airways recently began City Check-in service at Makkasan City Air Terminal or Airport Rail Link, Makkasan Station to provide advance check-in service to passengers who used the Airport Rail Link service. The airlines counter no.14 and 15 situated on the 3rd floor of the terminal, opens daily from 08.00 – 17.30 hrs. Passengers can check in at the minimum of 3 hours and up to 12 hours prior of departure time. Upon departure, passengers can still enjoy Bangkok Airways lounge service at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

For more information and reservation, please visit www.bangkokair.com or Call center 1771 or Tel. 02 270 6699

Bangkok Airways

Given that Bangkok Airways CAT check-in counters will be open 8 am to 5:30 pm only, and given that a passenger has to check in there at least three hours ahead of their departure time...

That effectively means that their CAT check-in service will only work for BA flights between the hours of 11 am and 8:30 pm (the times between 3 hours after their opening to closing times at CAT). I'm not sure that really covers the departure times for their flight schedule.

Where else would you put it? (not just aimed at you LG, but a question to all people who question the location)

Also, the future black line subway will pass via the CAT and the future Orange Line will be located nearby as well as a couple of silly mono-rail lines so it has a central location for future transport.

Black Line? I haven't seen anything about that one.

I don't understand people complaining about access to (and difficulty with large bags on) the MRT and BTS from the Airport Link and difficulty with large bags. The MRT and BTS (and the Airport City Line) are commuter lines. They are not designed for the occasional airport traveler. Has anyone every tried carrying luggage on the London Underground or most other commuter lines around the world?

I also don't understand people complaining expecting a seamless journey from A to B. Even in on the HK Airport LIne (which I use every year) I still need to walk a long distance between HK station and the my MTR line and climbs stairs at my final MTR station. Paris and London are not exactly easy negotiating some stations if you transfer to other lines. However, they still beat taking a taxi in those cities on cost and travel times.

Yes, there are many issues and problems the Airport Line needs to be rectified and improved but that will take some time. The service is not there for everyone but it caters for some. Most importantly, it is an investment for the long term future especially as we need more transport options than just everyone jumping into a car/taxi. As more metros open in the next decade and BKK's roads become even more congested the Airport Line will opnly grow in pax no.s.

On the Black Line, which is Line no 12 in the current Master Plan to be done by 2029, was proposed 2 years ago (along with the Grey Line). It is planned to run south from Din Daeng flats to Makkasan (west side) to Pleonchit (BTS) to Lumpini (MRT) then Chong Nonsi (BTS). No real planning work has been done on this nor the Grey line so I'll be surprised if planning advances at all in the next 5 yrs (assuming it goes ahead!).

On the Makkasan site issue, I gave the main rationale behind the decision. There were other options canvassed; the Yaowarat triangle, Hualumphong station, west of Phaya Thai rd & where the depot is but Makkasan was obviously going to be the preferred site given space and growth opportunities.

I don't remember many, or hardly any, people here calling the ARL a dismal failure or suggesting it be shut down...

Here you go:

"The Express train is an abysmal failure. They might as well dump it now, before they commit anything more to the service."

Posted by some misery guts on page 2. That was what stuck in my mind - an absolutely ridiculous statement I'm sure you'll agree.

If I started a thread titled: "The Sky is Falling" I swear 60% of TV would join in saying, "Of course it is falling, this is Thailand!" or "I knew it would, Thais can't do anything right!" etc etc. Sad.

In HK, there are about 20 different airlines that offer check-in service at the Airport Express Train station in Central HK. THAT is the point. Swampy is indeed making progress, but still way behind airports like HK, Changi, etc.

Who cares about those other, sterile places. They are indeed making progress HERE, that is the point.

Well... I didn't say NONE.... I just said... not many... :)

That sentiment isn't any significant part of the overall comments here...

Here you go:

"The Express train is an abysmal failure. They might as well dump it now, before they commit anything more to the service."

Posted by some misery guts on page 2. That was what stuck in my mind - an absolutely ridiculous statement I'm sure you'll agree.

If I started a thread titled: "The Sky is Falling" I swear 60% of TV would join in saying, "Of course it is falling, this is Thailand!" or "I knew it would, Thais can't do anything right!" etc etc. Sad.