Tourists Get More Phuket Beachfront Parking

webfact

Tourists get more Phuket beachfront parking

phuket-1-KAFpNEL.jpg

Patong Beach Car Rent Association President Arnut Lowlarng explains to Governor Tri Augkaradacha

and Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Pekad Tantipong the new parking bays.

PHUKET: -- The new parking zones along Thaweewong Road (the beach road) in Patong have been finally unveiled, allowing more room for tourists to park along the beachfront.

Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha on Thursday officially opened the new zones, heralded as the first in a series of steps to solve the tourist town’s traffic and parking woes.

The changes make about 60 per cent of parking space along Thaweewong Road available for the public, with the remainder designated for motorbike and car rental operators.

New parking signs have been posted to mark where tourists and rental operators can park.

There have long been concerns about rental operators monopolizing beachfront parking in Patong, but Gov Tri hopes the new parking regulations will put an end to the issue.

Under the new rules, rental operators are allowed to park only one car and four motorbikes in each of their allotted spaces between 7am and 5pm.

After 5pm these parking zones are open to the public.

At the launch, Patong Beach Car Rent Association President Arnut Lowlarng asked all motorbike drivers to park neatly in the designated areas.

“I ask motorcycle riders to please park their two-wheels neatly in a line. Be thoughtful of others because most days I have had to help move motorcycles. It would be good if Patong Municipality produced signs explaining this to tourists,” he said.

The Thaweewong Road parking reshuffle is the first step pushed through by Governor Tri as he attempts to iron out several tourist concerns in Patong, including recurring problems over tuk-tuk fares and the town’s ongoing traffic problems.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-01-04

Drove along the beach road this afternoon.

Didn't see a single available parking spot. Seemed to be more bikes than ever before (I think it's all the local workers, who park there all day, these days, as other parking spots back from the beach have all been developed as resorts) And there's still heaps of tuk tuks all down the right side of the street.

Under the new rules, rental operators are allowed to park only one car and four motorbikes in each of their allotted spaces between 7am and 5pm.

Ha ... what a joke. Alloted spaces ?? I have lost count how many 'new' governors have tried to enforce some sort rule in Patong. Remember after they were all 'flushed' out after the tsunami and the then governor declared that they would not be back. Lasted about a month or so. Then back to business as usual. Another 'rule' started was to force them to pay some sort of parking fee for their business parking slot, that never seemed to happen. Thankfully we all have that great big covered car park under Jungcyelon and that's where I always park my car when in Patong Central.

. Thankfully we all have that great big covered car park under Jungcyelon and that's where I always park my car when in Patong Central.

Exactly. There isn't a problem parking in Patong, you will just have to walk 5 or 10 minutes to get where you want to go.

Tell me where in the world you can just pull up at a heaving tourist beach and park easily? Nowhere. Same as any big city centre in the world. You're not the only person who wants to be there, so parking is a pain in the arse. That's the way it is the world over.