Bitter & Twisted Isaan Expats

up2ubar

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ but I feel fairly confident in saying it applies to all areas of Thailand

Delete Thailand. Insert World. I've found far less losers here in LOS than in other countries I visited. The biggest problem here is that the people who have made it are in fact looking for losers, because maybe at one time they were losers themselves that have come good. And of course I agree that the losers stand out more here. All they are, are the people that have not made it. Probably 75-80% of the guys/gals that come here to settle are losers in their own rights anyway, be it failed marriage,failed career, failed love-life, failed bank balance, failed friendships, failed business, and most of them no fault of their own. A lot of people just want to get away from it all. I know I'm not making many friends here, but people that speak the truth rarely do. Remember winners only come to Thailand on holiday.

Sensable post Lampard. Obviously not the same scriptwriter you use for the Sports forum. :o

Negative poeple exist all around the world and its up to the individual as to which circles you mix in. There are many people who are not having a good day unless they have problems. This situation is not exclusive to Issarn regions.

To the Pattaya knockers. No doubt there are plenty of riff raf in Pattaya, but also many, many good people.

Sensable post Lampard. Obviously not the same scriptwriter you use for the Sports forum. :D

Negative poeple exist all around the world and its up to the individual as to which circles you mix in. There are many people who are not having a good day unless they have problems. This situation is not exclusive to Issarn regions.

Absolutely :D Good post Lampy!

To the Pattaya knockers. No doubt there are plenty of riff raf in Pattaya, but also many, many good people.

Thanks maaate! :o

Geeeeesh. :o   And what was your life like for 2+ years with all the Farang in Pattaya?  Having said that, guess I haven't yet experienced the posted problems in Korat area to the degree that you talk about for Udon.  Sure there is the "occasional" Farang who might not be so happy, but overall, my experience of 15 years in the area just doesn't fit your decription of Udon.  Perhaps I'll make a trip up that way and "see" for myself. :D

Hi Ken

I was in the Irish bar last night, spoke to Mai. I asked her why she only opened when the military were in town. She said that she was tired of all the expat farangs complaining and not spending any money. She liked to open when the military were in, as at was good fun. She does not appear to nead the money?

Edit: I recently posted 'Winging Farangs' Korat does have them too.

Edited by mpdkorat

Sorry, not knocking Pattaya, just comparing Udon with it.

if there are riff raff in Pattaya, and they are happy then thats just fine by me.

same for the good people.

:o

Geeeeesh. :D   And what was your life like for 2+ years with all the Farang in Pattaya?  Having said that, guess I haven't yet experienced the posted problems in Korat area to the degree that you talk about for Udon.  Sure there is the "occasional" Farang who might not be so happy, but overall, my experience of 15 years in the area just doesn't fit your decription of Udon.  Perhaps I'll make a trip up that way and "see" for myself. :D

Hi Ken

I was in the Irish bar last night, spoke to Mai. I asked her why she only opened when the military were in town. She said that she was tired of all the expat farangs complaining and not spending any money. She liked to open when the military were in, as at was good fun. She does not appear to nead the money?

Hey MPD: Yea, I know Mai's feelings about this as she has emphatically told me she does not like the Farang in Korat. :o But personally I see this as her problem. When Fergus was alive and running the place this was not a problem. Now it is with her. But for the local Farang...I think,no problem, most don't go there anymore (never know if she is open or not). They go where they can get better treatment....and yea, get more value for their money. That's my take on it anyway. :D

I think you are right about there being a lot of ######s in Udon Thani area :D

All us good guys live in nongbaulampoo :whistling:

The good guys hang around Ban Dung, 80 miles northeast of Udon; they don't hang around farang bars because they moved to Issan to enjoy the lifestyleand great outdoors.

up2youbar, try to make friends with the locals and only mix with farangs with whom you have something in common.

bannork do you know Dave from ban dung (ex Pattayaup2u) was establishing a nice meeting place (a quite drink every now and then) just out of ban dung??

Geeeeesh. :(  And what was your life like for 2+ years with all the Farang in Pattaya?  Having said that, guess I haven't yet experienced the posted problems in Korat area to the degree that you talk about for Udon.  Sure there is the "occasional" Farang who might not be so happy, but overall, my experience of 15 years in the area just doesn't fit your decription of Udon.  Perhaps I'll make a trip up that way and "see" for myself. :D

Hi Ken

Hey MPD: Yea, I know Mai's feelings about this as she has emphatically told me she does not like the Farang in Korat. :blink: But personally I see this as her problem. When Fergus was alive and running the place this was not a problem. Now it is with her. But for the local Farang...I think,no problem, most don't go there anymore (never know if she is open or not). They go where they can get better treatment....and yea, get more value for their money. That's my take on it anyway. :)

Remember winners only come to Thailand on holiday.

I guess those of us who came here to work are all losers, then...... :D 'cause I have never been to Thailand for holidays.

Nevermind, the view of Bangkok from my office on the 30th floor certainly makes up for the low status...... :o

No....................................that's why I left a 20% window :D

I'm quite happy living out in the boonies. I don't have to listen to any bitching and that makes me quite happy. My hua kang wife is enough of a challenge to me. She is a hard head but to her credit she is right more often than she is wrong. After a while I have learned to pay a little closer attention to her opinions. LOL!

Geeeeesh. :D   And what was your life like for 2+ years with all the Farang in Pattaya?  Having said that, guess I haven't yet experienced the posted problems in Korat area to the degree that you talk about for Udon.  Sure there is the "occasional" Farang who might not be so happy, but overall, my experience of 15 years in the area just doesn't fit your decription of Udon.  Perhaps I'll make a trip up that way and "see" for myself. :D

Hi Ken

Hey MPD: Yea, I know Mai's feelings about this as she has emphatically told me she does not like the Farang in Korat. :o But personally I see this as her problem. When Fergus was alive and running the place this was not a problem. Now it is with her. But for the local Farang...I think,no problem, most don't go there anymore (never know if she is open or not). They go where they can get better treatment....and yea, get more value for their money. That's my take on it anyway. :D

First time I was in there so I will take your word on that. It is a shame as it could be a very nice place.

First time I was in there so I will take your word on that. It is a shame as it could be a very nice place.

Off topic a bit, but I agree. I was in there for the first time last weekend and was quite impressed with the quality of the decor, the fixtures, the layout, etc. It could be great bar and restaurant. Plus, it has the advantages of decent parking and being fairly easy to get to no matter which way you're going on Mittrapap Highway. (And, for those of us who live in the vicinity of Homeland, there is the nifty "back way" of getting there and getting home via T. Muk Montree.)

All us good guys live in nongbaulampoo :o

Man Nongbulampoo, my girl lives in Bahn Simon. I spent 15 days up there, it wasn't to bad, but I did need a little western influences after my time on the farm. I'm looking at a permanent move in the next year or so but will maintain a place in Jomtiem for family get aways (once a month a the very least). How do you find living up in that area? Do you work to keep yourself active or are you busy with family life.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

All us good guys live in nongbaulampoo :o

The good guys hang around Ban Dung, 80 miles northeast of Udon; they don't hang around farang bars because they moved to Issan to enjoy the lifestyleand great outdoors.

up2youbar, try to make friends with the locals and only mix with farangs with whom you have something in common.

Bannork, My wife has been trying to get me to move to her village near Ban Dung.

It seems too remote for me but I told her I would consider Ban Dung. How is the ex pat experience there? From what you said it seems to be pretty good. How many of you are living there? How do you fill the days?

Agree with orginal post although I don't like the idea of him posting a complaint to start this thread; it doesn't support his main idea. Anyways,we are all positive people here, aren't we? Thailand is a great place. So enjoy it. Don't spend you time complaining about other people. Don't go to the bars if you can't stand the people in them. Bars are just noisy places full of people with opinions. When people argue about sports that really gets to me. I can't understand people arguing about something so silly. So I keep out of bars, it'll probably do you good.

Everyone has a reason for being here. If you are unhappy try to find happiness rather than dwindle on the unhappiness. Complaining will get you nowhere. And hanging around negative people weakens the positive aura that surrounds you which feeds your soul.

Edited by boppia

Great post!

I will probably step on a lot of toes, now. I apologize in advance if you feel offended. Roughly speaking I saw the following types: Boozers, billionairs and brokes.

Boozers: You can find them a lot in the bars of Pattaya and they start already loading up in the Eva air Evergreen deluxe flights were the drinks are free and they hassle all the other passengers. Complain about everything to cover up their own defects. People, grow up and have a life.

Billionairs: They made it big abroad and go on a spending spree in LOS since compared to their homeland the prices are cheap. Usually complain a lot about the Thai way of life, sabai sabai, and that they are being used as ATM by the Thai. Can't really blaim the Thai since the Thai think they have discovered a gold mine. Billionaires had a big burnout or a costly divorce in the past and come to LOS to start again. Some find it very difficult to resist all the nice thai ladies who love their bank account long time and have a second spring in their pants.

Brokes: They did some screwy investment in LOS and forgot that a return in LOS can take a lifetime, if it ever materialises. Dead giveaway is that they want to loan big money from you, say 500k, for one of their other investments in the twilight zone. If you do you will have two loosers.

Really excellent post.

Im back in the UK at the moment & cant wait to get back to my house in Issan.

The few farrangs in the area are great guys,always welcome to my house & me to theres.We all have the same atitude that we are so lucky to be where we are.

• 1 month later...

There's jerk-offs everywhere. What's your point? Thanks for your advice. I'll watch out for all those bitter people.

When people are facing environments that differ from what they're used to they don't all just smile and accept it graciously like the buddha. Complaining is a useful facility, especially among friends, because the problems they describe are real (maybe not for you, but for them). They complain to their friends so they can get it off their chests and hopefully recieve some feedback in the form of constructive criticism or empathy.

I think you're right and that you should choose your friends here wisely, but mostly because you really never know who you're dealing with. However, I suggest you spend less time eavesdropping on others' conversations--It might help you sleep a little better at night.

Great post!

I will probably step on a lot of toes, now. I apologize in advance if you feel offended. Roughly speaking I saw the following types: Boozers, billionairs and brokes.

Boozers: You can find them a lot in the bars of Pattaya and they start already loading up in the Eva air Evergreen deluxe flights were the drinks are free and they hassle all the other passengers. Complain about everything to cover up their own defects. People, grow up and have a life.

Billionairs: They made it big abroad and go on a spending spree in LOS since compared to their homeland the prices are cheap. Usually complain a lot about the Thai way of life, sabai sabai, and that they are being used as ATM by the Thai. Can't really blaim the Thai since the Thai think they have discovered a gold mine. Billionaires had a big burnout or a costly divorce in the past and come to LOS to start again. Some find it very difficult to resist all the nice thai ladies who love their bank account long time and have a second spring in their pants.

Brokes: They did some screwy investment in LOS and forgot that a return in LOS can take a lifetime, if it ever materialises. Dead giveaway is that they want to loan big money from you, say 500k, for one of their other investments in the twilight zone. If you do you will have two loosers.

You missed a section or two there - long term residents that fit into none of the 3 you've posted that are here simply because they like to be here, if you go to the bars where expat's meet (not sure how Pattaya got into the Issan section - BKK either) you will find all types of people that are here for lots of different reasons but to put them into 3 types as drunks, rich (and then go on to say they are only rich here!) and pennyless scroungers seems to be a little harsh.

If you went to any big city in the world you would find people complaining about their lot in life - if you don't like listening just go to another bar.

Life is what you make it and some people don't make it, if you object to listening to the woe's and worries - avoid them.

• 3 years later...

Interesting thread this one... After reading this thread I just had to comment on some of the statements made. (apologising for my comment below beforehand as I'm new here)

I always hate to see people judging or stereotyping people. Judge yourself not others.

There are many reasons why people come to this lovely country and I believe most are seeking one common goal: happiness.

If Isaan in the rough makes you happy, do it; if a 30th floor Bangkok view pleases you, do it; if you come to the kingdom and do not achieve your goal or are not happy, try again or leave.

Most on this forum have probably traveled many countries. Ask yourself... why am I here in the kingdom and not in some other country??? Am I truly happy here?

I must say that thailand to me is within the top 5 countries i have visited. I have various friends that live here from various countries; a few have been here for over 30 years. They are happy here and most dont judge people based on their wealth, occupation or thai living arrangement. They do enjoy a network of expatriates here and welcome those that do come here to seek some goal.

Call it what you may but most people outside thailand judge this country. They believe thailand is just one large sex holiday resort. I think that is naive. Thailand is like any other country.... It is what you make of it.

(I must say cheers to the comments from the UK; if the UK was my native country, I'd certainly leave... I visited the UK multiple times every year for over 20 years, then lived in two areas in the south for 5 years. It is not the England it was...and has not changed for the better.)

after reading your post it seems to be that some of these sort of people live on the dark side(eastside) of Pattaya.Some even complain when the West side go over for a few drinks and they get upset about that,saying we should stay on our side.very sad indeed,but maybe thats why some live on the east side,everything cheaper.

Issan life is what we (farangs and partners who live here) make out of it.

Some might not make it..............................................for various reasons............................

but many are able to live a happy life here no matter where they come from.

Life is not perfect.....................................................but can be close if you (we) put some effort in to it!

Happy New Year to all!!

Edited by bergen

Great bit of posting.

Have to make a comment on one thing though, just becasue you see another Farrang why does that mean you have to go and speak to them? Not that I am a grumpy <deleted>,

I love living in Issan... would not change it.

I also love it here and agree with you. Why would you speak to a total stranger just because he was not a Thai?