BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
moses

Buddhism

Is there any practising buddhist or people with relegioues knowlegde that can answer these questions for me?

What is the difference between Thai buddhism and Chinese buddhism?

I came to Phuket just after the Chinese Vegetarian festival, and the local Thais which I have known for a couple of years did some sort of ritual dancing the same friday evening as I arrivad at patong beach in Phuket. It was made out as a play with one caractor as an APE, an OLD lady, an OLD man and another caractor was a CHILD which was 11 years old. (plus many more caractors)

It was facinating to look at and I took many nice photos...

My Thai friends had turned there home into a holy place with buddhas and alters everywhere, even the local guesthouse reception was filled with paintings, buddhas and insense.

I asked one Thai friend what all this was? He said it's Chinese Buddah, VERY GOOD-before I did not BELIEVE, NOW I BELIEVE... (ok - good for you)

He explained to me how he walked on broken glass and hot coal during the festival and nothing happend to him, why he said because buddha come inside of me... (ok - good for you)

Another friend of mine which had the caractor of the Old lady in the play said to me that... Buddah come inside, and buddah speak through me in chinese language - that's why people bow down in respekt and worship to her (the old lady) in the play... ( Ok - good for you )

As the days went by I tried to figure out why all these people where suddenly so fond of Buddah... When they talked to me it sounded like an american television show with preachers talking about how they suddenly came to believe in their SAVIOR Jesus Christ - there where a time they didn't belive and they where living in darknes but now.... Jesus christ has come inside of them and now they DO BELIEVE.

Anyway-

I got acquainted with another of the local Thai's - we spend quit a lot of time together - at firts I didn't know she was involved in all the buddhist activitist and rituals but I learned that she was fasting every friday - going to the "holy place" which was in the "guest house" reception... I joined her one friday she was fasting (or only eating vegetables) At the "holy place" something suddenly came over her... I can not explain what it was - she started shaking and I was really worried, she then started to rip of all her jewlery - I was shocked and asked what was going on... The Thai's just smiled and said Buddha come inside of her.... (.....) okej well shit, this is a bit to much for me! I sat down on a chair just waiting.... She could not walk on the floor, because it would burn her feed... they laid out holy gold plated papers on the ground she could rest her feed on. They gave her hot water to clean her mouth from smoking cigerates... it all seemed a bit wired to me! She was in the state of an 11 year old child now... and they started asking her questions - it defently was not her that answered the questions, she became a complete different person after this seance (or what ever it was) She was acting like a child - and suddenly started to shake WILDER and WILDER and then the Buddah or the spirit or what ever it was left her and she came back to normal.

Can anybody explain to me in plain English what that was all about?

I understand that, believing in something very strong can make you do strange things but they put the emphasies on the Chinese Buddah instead of the Thai Buddah, Why?

Thai people in general are not that extreem in there faith, but something really happend to these people

Just curios!

Well, here is some explanation.

First of all, I feel sorry for you that your experience with Buddism was on the wrong track. Those things are not and never considered as buddism practice. The event that you experience was Holy vegetarian week which is big now in Thailand,especially in Phuket. Those freaky stuff that you saw are just a show. Some year ago, there was a tv show about these freaking things and some of those people confressed that was just a show, no budda comes inside like they mentioned. But its fun to watch huh?

So dont take it seriously about this thing. is that clear?

Now what is the different between THAI buddism and Chinese buddism? To keep long story short, Buddism originated from India over 2500 years ago. After the Lord Budda pass away, those monks were travelling around SE to teach Buddism. The different begins here, slightly by time each country has develop their own rituals and so on and HOLLY Vegetarian week is just some festival they celebrate for something ralated to their own story about Budda.

Hope my explanation helps u get less confusion. A bit maybe?

Is there any practising buddhist or people with relegioues knowlegde that can answer these questions for me?

What is the difference between Thai buddhism and Chinese buddhism?

I came to Phuket just after the Chinese Vegetarian festival, and the local Thais which I have known for a couple of years did some sort of ritual dancing the same friday evening as I arrivad at patong beach in Phuket. It was made out as a play with one caractor as an APE, an OLD lady, an OLD man and another caractor was a CHILD which was 11 years old. (plus many more caractors)

It was facinating to look at and I took many nice photos...

My Thai friends had turned there home into a holy place with buddhas and alters everywhere, even the local guesthouse reception was filled with paintings, buddhas and insense.

I asked one Thai friend what all this was? He said it's Chinese Buddah, VERY GOOD-before I did not BELIEVE, NOW I BELIEVE... (ok - good for you)

He explained to me how he walked on broken glass and hot coal during the festival and nothing happend to him, why he said because buddha come inside of me... (ok - good for you)

Another friend of mine which had the caractor of the Old lady in the play said to me that... Buddah come inside, and buddah speak through me in chinese language - that's why people bow down in respekt and worship to her (the old lady) in the play... ( Ok - good for you )

As the days went by I tried to figure out why all these people where suddenly so fond of Buddah... When they talked to me it sounded like an american television show with preachers talking about how they suddenly came to believe in their SAVIOR Jesus Christ - there where a time they didn't belive and they where living in darknes but now.... Jesus christ has come inside of them and now they DO BELIEVE.

Anyway-

I got acquainted with another of the local Thai's - we spend quit a lot of time together - at firts I didn't know she was involved in all the buddhist activitist and rituals but I learned that she was fasting every friday - going to the "holy place" which was in the "guest house" reception... I joined her one friday she was fasting (or only eating vegetables) At the "holy place" something suddenly came over her... I can not explain what it was - she started shaking and I was really worried, she then started to rip of all her jewlery - I was shocked and asked what was going on... The Thai's just smiled and said Buddha come inside of her.... (.....) okej well shit, this is a bit to much for me! I sat down on a chair just waiting.... She could not walk on the floor, because it would burn her feed... they laid out holy gold plated papers on the ground she could rest her feed on. They gave her hot water to clean her mouth from smoking cigerates... it all seemed a bit wired to me! She was in the state of an 11 year old child now... and they started asking her questions - it defently was not her that answered the questions, she became a complete different person after this seance (or what ever it was) She was acting like a child - and suddenly started to shake WILDER and WILDER and then the Buddah or the spirit or what ever it was left her and she came back to normal.

Can anybody explain to me in plain English what that was all about?

I understand that, believing in something very strong can make you do strange things but they put the emphasies on the Chinese Buddah instead of the Thai Buddah, Why?

Thai people in general are not that extreem in there faith, but something really happend to these people

Just curios!

Hi Moses

I am a Buddhist and from Sri Lanka. I think I will be able to answer all your questions here. I will stick into the real Buddhist philosophy when answering these questions as the practice of Buddhism and the philosophy of Buddhism has some differences like any other religion has.

Quote:

What is the difference between Thai Buddhism and Chinese Buddhism?

To Answer this first, I have to explain you about the two branches of Buddhism that exists in the world. It is called "Mahayana" and "Theravada". The original Buddhist philosophy and the Buddha himself can relate to the "Theravada" branch of Buddhism. The main concept in "Theravada" is to follow the "Middle Path". But with the time, Branch of monks in China split up over this and established a branch called "Mahayana" with some flexibility over certain aspects of Monks life. The main difference I can see is "The acceptance of Marriage for Monks" and the acceptance of "Materilism in Monks life" that influenced the people who follow them .

Now let me revert to your question.

The 'Theravada' branch of Buddhism introduced to Thailand from Sri Lanka. Buddhism introduced to Sri Lanka by King Ashok of India and he sent his delegations to all around Asia. These Delegations reached to all over Asia. But somehow, it did not reach Thailand as many of the monks died during the traveling from India to this region.

Sri lanka were under Portuguese, Holland and later England for 300 yrs and during this period, all these countries targeted Buddhist in Sri Lanka and tried to convert them by offering money and by force. This happened throughout Asia during this period.

The monks in Sri Lanka realized the threat to the Buddhism and they sent a group of Monks to Thailand [if I remember correct it was during King Rama the 4th], and established Theravada Buddhism in Thailand.

As predicted, Buddhism in Sri Lanka started to get wiped out and later after the independence, Thailand helped to re-established the Buddhism to Sri Lanka by sending a delegation headed by the most ven Upali Thero of the Temple of Aydhaya. [That is happened exactly 200 Yrs ago and last year Sri Lanka and Thailand celebrated this event together].

This happened during the time of the great King Rama the 5th.

But sadly, all other countries lost the Buddhist monks during these period of occupations and then later some Chinese Monks started introducing the Buddhism that they established by themselves in this region. As a result of this, the Branch of "Mahayana" came into the picture and the countries in East Asia including Japan, Burma and all around re-established the Buddhism under the branch of "Mahayana".

But still today, only two countries, [ie Thailand and Sri Lanka] share the original "Theravada" Buddhism in the world. The basic Buddhist Philosophy in these two branches of Buddhism today is still the same. But the 'Mahayana" Branch has changed with the time and have many different versions from country to country based on their believes. There is no Buddha called 'Chinese Buddha", "Thai Buddha" etc.. The carvings of Buddha images that you see in different countries will have some differences. That is due to the fact of how the artist who carved the statue visualized the Buddha when doing his Art. Even if you take Thailand and Sri Lanka as two countries following the same Theravada Buddhism, you will see some differences that a Buddha Statue in a Thai Temple and a Sri Lankan temple. No one can say which is the correct one as all these things have changed with time and we are talking of over 2,500 yrs period of time.

But when it comes to "Mahayana" Buddhism, "Materialism" is more attached to it than following a 'Middle path". That is the main difference between these two branches and the origin of these two branches.

Quote:

He explained to me how he walked on broken glass and hot coal during the festival and nothing happened to him, why he said because buddha come inside of me...

This reflects the stupid part of people. It is not unique only to Mahayana. [in this case "Chinese Buddha"]. It's simply the stupid believe of the people who follow the teachings of one another than understanding the Philosophy.

It's common in my country, my home town and even among some members of my own family. It's not only in Buddhism, even in other religions it is common. Having studied in an Anglican School I have come across many such situations. So your answer of "Good for you" is the best answer to give for such people and if you say "You stupid Idiot" that may also not be too wrong. :o

Quote:

Another friend of mine which had the caractor of the Old lady in the play said to me that... Buddha come inside, and Buddha speak through me in Chinese language - that's why people bow down in respect and worship to her (the old lady) in the play...

This is simply showing the lack of knowledge they have in Buddhism. Even today all Buddhist use the language of "Pail Sanskrit" to pray for Buddha. That is where all original Buddha teachings have been written. But no one knows what language Buddha Spoke. We all use "pali Sanskrit" as it was the only language that could be used in those days to write, speak and read.

The origin of Thai language, Sinhalese Language, Hindi and Tamil comes from Sanskrit and it has a history well over the recorded history of English though it is a dead language in todays world.

Quote:

Thai people in general are not that extreme in there faith, but something really happened to these people

You are 100% correct here. Thai people that follows the origins of "Theravada" can not be extremest from the religious point of view as 'Theravada" is all about following the "Mid path" of life.

As I explained above, the mix of Chinese influence grab them to this extent and it has become a style and a believe than a Philosophy. But still, both monks in Thailand and Sri Lanka with their strong relationships over the history holding into this but I am not sure how long we can survive with this influences.

Let me addup another good example that I came across in Thailand. This Chineese-Thai lady, 45 yrs of age, very religious and going to tample almost every week is a very good friend of our family even today. She is well educated and from a very good family.

Every morning, she take some flowers from her home or sometimes buy and worship to the Buddha Statue infront of the Company she work. Oneday when we were having dinner, I told her that I am very impressed with her respect to Buddhism and beign a buddhist, I never worship Buddha everyday or sometimes even for months. Her answer was.."I pray everyday that I will win a lottery and many days in my dreams the numbers appear". Needless to say more.. :D

Hope I have cleared your doubts.

Well, here is some explanation.

First of all, I feel sorry for you that your experience with Buddism was on the wrong track. Those things are not and never considered as buddism practice. The event that you experience was Holy vegetarian week which is big now in Thailand,especially in Phuket. Those freaky stuff that you saw are just a show. Some year ago, there was a tv show about these freaking things and some of those people confressed that was just a show, no budda comes inside like they mentioned. But its fun to watch huh?

So dont take it seriously about this thing. is that clear?

Now what is the different between THAI buddism and Chinese buddism? To keep long story short, Buddism originated from India over 2500 years ago. After the Lord Budda pass away, those monks were travelling around SE to teach Buddism. The different begins here, slightly by time each country has develop their own rituals and so on and HOLLY Vegetarian week is just some festival they celebrate for something ralated to their own story about Budda.

Hope my explanation helps u get less confusion. A bit maybe?

If you stayed 17 yrs in Thailand, then you should know Buddhism more than me.

You have basically repeated the contents of K. Moses question than giving facts and figure as a Thai. Your answer is pretty obvious my friend.

By the way..you have spelled the word Buddhism incorrectly from the start to the end. It is exactly how many westerners spell it.

Sorry, I really doubt about your profile.

Just like Christianity, Buddhism in Thailand has taken on older religious practices or these practices still exist side by side with true Buddhist practice. Ancestor worship is very common here and you can see the spirit houses outside almost every ones homes. Shamanism, Animism, the belief in ghosts are all religious beliefs and practice that still exist and in the minds of many ordinary Thai are all part of one religious set of beliefs. There are also the outside influences of other cultures such as Indian and Chinese people who have migrated to Thailand over the centuries and I suspect that the vegetarian festivals and areas of more predominant vegetarianism – such as in Chiang Mai - are a result of those people’s beliefs and customs. Buddhists, of course, maintain that Buddhism is not a religion but a philosophy.

I have been present at some of these spiritualist ceremonies in a village in the North East. Where spirits take possession of people in the room. My ex-wife said that she had taken part in these rituals and been possessed herself when she was younger. She said that the experience was quite therapeutic and after would sleep for a long time and then feel good the next day.

People who are involved in a religion or in this case a philosophy will, it seems, always assert that there set of beliefs and practices are the correct and true form. However, I can see no reason to say that one set of beliefs are better or worse than another. Culture is dynamic and ever changing and religious practice is part of a culture and therefore forever being altered. Indeed, I would suggest that religion is different for each individual who experiences it. This may be easier to say as a non-committed observer.

The religion subject is always complex. I dont dare giving a fact on the subject that I dont know enough. The guy was much about wondering what he was seeing all about and that lead him to question about the difference and so on. I just simply explain what I do sure know. How many people have read this topic before I answered ? Load!!! but no one answer. I just wanna stop confusion among you who never experience such a festival like that to not mix up freaking stuff with religion itself.

Wrong spelling, no excuse!!

Could any one tell me what buddas beleive about the creation of the universe and creation of the world, i once asked a girl who told me she was a buddist, when i asked her how she thouht the universe was created she pondered and replied that she had a head ache,

Could any one tell me what buddas beleive about the creation of the universe and creation of the world, i once asked a girl who told me she was a buddist, when i asked her how she thouht the universe was created she pondered and replied that she had a head ache,

Hi my friend,

Buddha never preached about creating of the Universe or the world. He was born 2500 Yrs ago in a village in Northern India. It is called "Nagadeep" and you can still see the places that we think he meditated during this period.

So your question to that girl is irrelevant similar to the questions you shoot at me by using PM time to time. :o

Also do not expect all Buddhist people to know about the Buddhist philosophy and about the Buddha. In my case, I learned it from my mother who has done Masters in Buddhist Philosophy. Otherwise, I may not be able to comment on many of the questions here.

Buddhist Philosophy is a science. In history, it says that Buddha had some powers where he was able to read another people minds. It is simply by developing his mind. Even today you get some people who has done Meditation and have come to that level. It's possible. It's another version of "Hyprotise" and even 'Sigman Froid" has commented on this possibility.

All other Stories are simply created by people who blindly follow Buddhism. Buddha is just a human who came up with a Philosophy saying the "Following the Middle Path" is the best way to live. Then he explained it and demonstrated it by himself doing good to the people.

With the time the stories changed toward the benefit of the people or towards the easiness of the people who wants to follow it.

Actually it is impossible for a normal person to follow the real Buddhist Philosophy and then live in a material life. It's not possible. So, people start coming out with various versions to call them self Buddhist and to show others that the actions they do follow Buddhism.

I for myself, is a Buddhist but do not follow the teachings of Buddha as I am not ready for it and can not do so much sacrifices in my life.

This is my opinion.

So kwiz, how do you think or beleive the universe was created? i understand budda realy lived and i also think if every one in the world followed his teachings it would be a better place, just interested to know what if any they believe was the absolute beining of space and time

So kwiz, how do you think or beleive the universe was created? i understand budda realy lived and i also think if every one in the world followed his teachings it would be a better place, just interested to know what if any they believe was the absolute beining of space and time

Don't ask me..

I am not a Scientist.

If you need to ask anything about Buddhism, I will try to answer based on my opinions and from the little I know. If I do not know, I will say so.

Also I am not trying to say that what people think Buddha has said is correct. Just use common sense.

I am 28 yrs old and I think you are older than me. [correct me if I am wrong]

So do not try to act like a kid here by sending me stupid PM's.. Sorry to say that your intentions are too bad.

O.K, your not a scientist, but surly your elders or your schooling must of delt with the topic of how we came to be here in the massive unending universe,are you saying you have no idea at all of how the universe was created or are you content with what you already know and what you are continualy learning through buddism, i beleive everything we have today is from discontent from those before us, would you agree with that kwizz

O.K, your not a scientist, but surly your elders or your schooling must of delt with the topic of how we came to be here in the massive unending universe,are you saying you have no idea at all of how the universe was created or are you content with what you already know and what you are continualy learning through buddism, i beleive everything we have today is from discontent from those before us, would you agree with that kwizz

Sorry..I do not worried so much thinking of who created the universe. Many Scientist and so many stories in various religions..Yes, I have read and heard some of those stories from people like you.

I am not arguing on a matter whether who is telling truth as we can do so many other things that will help someone than talking and discussing on a subject where no one can prove. Yes, when sit with my friends and a Beer in hand, I do discuss, argue over stupid subjects.

I do hope that you are not a day drinker and I do not drink day time to discuss more over this hot topic of yours. Right now, I am enjoying the way we are bowling out the England Team in Sri Lanka thru www.crickinfo.com.

So I propose you to join some others or may be to create a dummy name and start discussing the same with two of you. Up to you.

Thank you all, and special thanks to Kwiz117 for sharing facts and knowlegde...

I have been present at some of these spiritualist ceremonies in a village in the North East. Where spirits take possession of people in the room. My ex-wife said that she had taken part in these rituals and been possessed herself when she was younger. She said that the experience was quite therapeutic and after would sleep for a long time and then feel good the next day

This was very similar to what I saw...

For the English speaking, 'The Middle Path' has been beautifully explained by Alan Watts in his writings, "The Middle Way".

I would ask that all keep in mind what you read, hear, of the various teachings is subject to your own interpretation. Subsequently, when you read translations of the Vedas into other languages you will always, to some degree, be getting someone elses viewpoints. It is entirely up to you, your discerning, how you accept them.

By the way, what little information or whatever one wishes to term it regarding cosmogenesis (world/universe creation) found in Buddhism comes primarily from the Hindu et al. You might want to read the various subjects taken from the Mahabharata and the Bhagavad Gita.