Australian Murdered In Petchabun

Ned

Reported in yesterday's Thai Rath that an Australian, Ronald Wayne Martin was shot dead outside his rural home in Petchabun. The Thai gunman's wife had apparently absconded with another farang some time ago and he told police that he hated all farang and wanted to kill one. There is a photo of Martin's Thai wife pointing to the killer on the front page of yesterday's paper with the caption, Khaatakorn Rook Jit (Mentally Ill Murderer).

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine if we did the same...and the backlash against others.

Condolences to his wife and family, may he RIP

Hmmm like the Aussie that shot the American in Chang Mai, because he didnt like Yanks. He did 2 years I think, then deported.

But I agree it would be different if it was a Thai.

Edited by waza

I couldn't find said article on the paper's front page (available online). Can someone please confirm or correct:

Thai Rath = ไทยรัฐ

yesterday = Jan. 7th, 2011 ( 7 ม.ค. 2554, but I also checked 5th - 8th)

Khaatakorn Rook Jit = ฆาตกรโรคจิต

Am I blind, is the news a hoax, did I get something wrong or does Thai Rath localize some parts of the front page?

I couldn't find anything in Thairath online either but did find a little on the Channel 7 news.

Apparently the killer is a 39 year old man, Mr Wichet Phuchamkat นายวิเชษฐ์ ภู่จำกัด, from Patumthanee province with previous drug addiction problems. The murder took place on 04/01/11 and he was later arrested after fleeing back to his mother's house in Lam Luk Ka district in Patumthanee province, along with the seizure of an unlicensed handgun.

There's a video of him in police custody here:

http://www.ch7.com/news/news_thailand_detail.aspx?c=2&p=5&d=121119

Going back many years I can remember when the first Indian immigrants arrived in England.

At first the very few that lived mostly in the big cities including London were mainly Indian restaurant owners and workers and was considered somewhat of a novelty and the native white population tolerated them and treated these people with respect.

Then during the 1970s the British government relaxed it`s policies on Immigration and suddenly brown people from all over South Asia and many from Uganda began immigrating to England in droves.

Then everything changed, the unions called for strikes fearing the loss of jobs to Asians and there was frequent and violent attacks on Asians including actual riots in many parts of the country.

My point is that I don`t believe the permitting of too many people of a different race and culture into a country is a good thing. It has been proven that multiculturalism doesn’t work and will lead to conflicts.

During my time here in Thailand I am seeing more and more farangs even in the most remote areas and as I see the situation, this can only cause problems for the farangs already living here, the same as what happened in the United Kingdom 40 years ago.

Going back many years I can remember when the first Indian immigrants arrived in England.

At first the very few that lived mostly in the big cities including London were mainly Indian restaurant owners and workers and was considered somewhat of a novelty and the native white population tolerated them and treated these people with respect.

Then during the 1970s the British government relaxed it`s policies on Immigration and suddenly brown people from all over South Asia and many from Uganda began immigrating to England in droves.

Then everything changed, the unions called for strikes fearing the loss of jobs to Asians and there was frequent and violent attacks on Asians including actual riots in many parts of the country.

My point is that I don`t believe the permitting of too many people of a different race and culture into a country is a good thing. It has been proven that multiculturalism doesn’t work and will lead to conflicts.

During my time here in Thailand I am seeing more and more farangs even in the most remote areas and as I see the situation, this can only cause problems for the farangs already living here, the same as what happened in the United Kingdom 40 years ago.

Agreed,

In my native country, many north african/turks, already 2nd generation, 3rd generation on its way and the tension can be felt strongly within the big cities. Soon the remote/urban area's will be subject to these immigrants as they are looking beyond the borders of the big(ger) cities and then things will could get worse. This is why rightwinged parties all over Europe are gaining and this will eventually also happen in Thailand, to protect their way of life and culture... If Thailand was not a developing country, it would have been much worse than what you see now...

My point is that I don`t believe the permitting of too many people of a different race and culture into a country is a good thing. It has been proven that multiculturalism doesn't work and will lead to conflicts.

You do have some valid points there Beetlejuice , but the big difference is that most of us who are either in Thailand or intend to move to Thailand have to a large degree integrate as we have Thai partners and hence extended families that we do support to varying extents. Many of us are either Buddhist or are aligned with Buddhist philosophy so there is not great religious antagonism (apart from the pockets of evangelistic missionaries ( better left unsaid about that) and we do contribute to the economy to a certain extent. Generally it is not the long term falungs who cause problems but the short term visitors. Apart from Pattaya and few other pockets we have not formed ghettos and hopefully we try to enrich the Thai community in various ways.

The immigrants that you speak of usually do not integrate fully fo a few generations and intermarriage is one of the methods of breaking down those cultural barriers. However if we are to be accepted by the Thais we need to appear not to be a threat to them by taking their jobs etc. We take their women but that is to their benefit as well (without going into the pros and cons of it) and Thailand does have many laws that prevent a massive overtaking of Thailand by another group. The land ownership laws will always work to their advantage , the visa regulations, and having to employ Thais in any business should offset any fears .

Anyway this is getting off the OP's post .

This is a real shame. I do not think the Thai people are inherently xenophobic. I have met so many that are genuinely friendly. Unlike Vietnam, where

the further you stray from the big cities, the more suspicious, and less friendly people seem to get, in Thailand I have encountered friendly, cheerful people

all over the country. I think some of the political parties, namely the shameless yellowhearted (appropriately named yellow shirts) have used politics to drum

up fear of foreigners, but only the simplest of minds seem to be buying into it. I am not saying the Thais are not somewhat afraid of outsiders. Just that the common

person does not buy into the nonsense. And of course it takes a real superfreak to think that by killing one of us he is accomplishing anything but bringing misery

to several families.

Unlike Vietnam, where the further you stray from the big cities, the more suspicious, and less friendly people seem to get,

And you wonder why ?.. the last time they seen foreigners in many parts of Vietnam, the locals were getting shot at and Napalmed by the "visitors"...:whistling:

I tend to disagree that Thai's are not inherently xenophobic, if you happen to the listen to the conversations going around you, you will see that they are to varying degree's, as to the question of why they are like this, obviously they are not born this way, but become this way because of the enviroment they are living in/growing up in....so would point the finger at goverments/politicans through years pushing the nationalism.....ie Thai good....Farang bad...this is borne out in newspaper reports etc....a lot of Thailands woes are blamed on the "foreigners"

Anyway we digress from a very sad report

You do have some valid points there Beetlejuice , but the big difference is that most of us who are either in Thailand or intend to move to Thailand have to a large degree integrate as we have Thai partners and hence extended families that we do support to varying extents. Many of us are either Buddhist or are aligned with Buddhist philosophy so there is not great religious antagonism (apart from the pockets of evangelistic missionaries ( better left unsaid about that) and we do contribute to the economy to a certain extent. Generally it is not the long term falungs who cause problems but the short term visitors. Apart from Pattaya and few other pockets we have not formed ghettos and hopefully we try to enrich the Thai community in various ways.

Not showing much of the buddhist philosophy in this post are you ? IMHO...:whistling:

You are however showing you believe you have some form of self entitlement to be in Thailand, while saying certain groups of other people dont, ie short term visitor's and people living the farang ghetto's of Pattaya

Edited by Soutpeel

My point is that I don`t believe the permitting of too many people of a different race and culture into a country is a good thing. It has been proven that multiculturalism doesn't work and will lead to conflicts.

I would look more closely at the history of immigrations into Thailand specifically the Chinese, Burmese, Khymer, Lao, and Vietnamese to determine the tolerance levels and attitude of the locals regarding immigration.

Edited by preechathan

Can this be moved to the Central Thailand forum as it's a local issue that should be of interest to expats in that area.

Hmmm, a expat shooting another expat over a thai wife or G/F is a LOCAL issue?:D

Please, explain...:blink: I must be really dense...

I couldn't find anything in Thairath online either but did find a little on the Channel 7 news.

Apparently the killer is a 39 year old man, Mr Wichet Phuchamkat นายวิเชษฐ์ ภู่จำกัด, from Patumthanee province with previous drug addiction problems. The murder took place on 04/01/11 and he was later arrested after fleeing back to his mother's house in Lam Luk Ka district in Patumthanee province, along with the seizure of an unlicensed handgun.

There's a video of him in police custody here:

http://www.ch7.com/n...=2&p=5&d=121119

It was nice to see they didn't mention the word "farang" in the news report.

I do think the Thais as a whole are a bit xenophobic but it has a lot to do with the education system here.

But, this is a pretty isolated incident of a crazy bast--d who wanted revenge on anyone and this poor guy happened to be the victim.

I just hope he gets his just reward. This really could've and does happen anywhere in the world. R.I.P.

If you really observe your surroundings,we arn't really liked here,we are tollerated , don't bite the hand that feeds you, it may sound hard, but it is so sad that Thailands dislike for farangs is a growing trend,i know this opens a large can of worms,but observe,,back to the point, there, are dickheads all over the world,shooting inocent bystanders, RIP mate.

Amazingly ignorant posting. Not the slightest smidgen of self-awareness here! Here is an immigrant (I assume) to Thailand telling us all how bad immigration can be for the host country. Certainly your posting "proves" that English education "doesn't work" and will lead to a weird form of cultural blindness.

There's none so blind as those who cannot see.

"It has been proven"?????

thank goodness these are the exceptions and not the rule

if it bleeds, it leads

why do i even bother reading these

morbid fascination

human nature

maybe to avoid making the same mistakes

What mistakes would they be:

1) Running off with a married Thai woman (or one with a psycho boyfriend)?

2) Living in Thailand (especially Petchibun)?

3) Being Australian?

4) Failure to dodge a lead projectile traveling at 600+ FPS?

5) Reading these 'human nature' articles?

Just curious ...

Not showing much of the buddhist philosophy in this post are you ? IMHO...:whistling:

You are however showing you believe you have some form of self entitlement to be in Thailand, while saying certain groups of other people dont, ie short term visitor's and people living the farang ghetto's of Pattaya

First off this is really sad news and the condolences to his family and friends.

Hardly a point to be jumping on mate on what is an exceptionally good post.

Where I come from we were inindated by Chinese, Pakistanis and Indians and they simply don't want to associate with you in any shape or form outside of business. Even in Pattay you could hardly say we formed Ghettos like that lot did in my country. If there were no girls and bars there most guys would be somewhere else.

These people don't want to intigrate with you wheras we as farang in Thailand are very differnet. and in my vast experience with Thai people they are more than happy to associate with us.

I would add that I have found people up country every bit if not more friendly as those in Bangkok.

This Australian guy has been unfortunate as he was taken out by a mentally ill person. It makes it all the sadder knowing he would most likely be in a mental home out of harms way had he been an Aussie himself..

R.I.P.

I am not commenting on any specific post here.

I just want to say that it is a very sad thing that a farang can be murdered and - as another person said, - it is not even mentioned in the Aussie media.

Furthermore, - I have no doubt, - that this guy will walk free in a year or two or maybe less. After all, - it's just a farang's life.

I am married to a Thai. I have a step son and now a another son between us. She is totally disgusted with the conduct of her own country and country men.

The corruption from the highest level down to the lowest level scum bags. IT'S THE SAME!

Even her own family at times.

The father of my step son was mowed down by a drunk driver in car (he was on motor bike) about one and half years ago.

The drunk driver who killed him paid a 60,000 baht fine to the police and is walking free to this day.

The family received 100,000 baht insurance, - 40,000 of which had to be paid to the police.

In any western country, - it is called manslaughter with heavy penalties.

Thailand, is a beautiful country with beautiful people, - but there is no doubt that it's own justice system towards it's own people is very corrupt.

So, my point is the........ what hope does a farang have of justice. ANSWER: ZERO.

Imagine if we did the same...and the backlash against others.

Condolences to his wife and family, may he RIP

Hmmm like the Aussie that shot the American in Chang Mai, because he didnt like Yanks. He did 2 years I think, then deported.

But I agree it would be different if it was a Thai.

Can this be moved to the Central Thailand forum as it's a local issue that should be of interest to expats in that area.

Let the guy rest in peace, I'm pretty sad that this guy obviously killed an innocent man. :jap:

Edited by sirchai

I am not commenting on any specific post here.

I just want to say that it is a very sad thing that a farang can be murdered and - as another person said, - it is not even mentioned in the Aussie media.

Furthermore, - I have no doubt, - that this guy will walk free in a year or two or maybe less. After all, - it's just a farang's life.

I am married to a Thai. I have a step son and now a another son between us. She is totally disgusted with the conduct of her own country and country men.

The corruption from the highest level down to the lowest level scum bags. IT'S THE SAME!

Even her own family at times.

The father of my step son was mowed down by a drunk driver in car (he was on motor bike) about one and half years ago.

The drunk driver who killed him paid a 60,000 baht fine to the police and is walking free to this day.

The family received 100,000 baht insurance, - 40,000 of which had to be paid to the police.

In any western country, - it is called manslaughter with heavy penalties.

Thailand, is a beautiful country with beautiful people, - but there is no doubt that it's own justice system towards it's own people is very corrupt.

So, my point is the........ what hope does a farang have of justice. ANSWER: ZERO.

Good post and valid point.

I came across many case reports like this one (father of step son case) recently, and just realized how naive most of us are.

At least I never thought it was so easy to get away after killing someone in Thailand.

We read conspiracy cases, cases involving the "influenced" etc very often and are disgusted about them,

but we rarely hear that almost anyone can get away so easily.

Thailand seems to be a real failed state at this rate! I lived there for 4yrs, just moved out last year,

and am I glad!

I think there is a need to compile these cases and make them easily available to the

unsuspecting expact to see before they subject themselves to the laws of Thailand.

just so that they make a more informed decision!