Chiang Rai Police Double Standard

TacoBoy

I am getting tired of the Thai Police coming around to the Farong Bars closing them at or before midnight, yet the Thai Bars and Disco's are left to open at will until 3-4-5 am with drunken Thai's and teenageres in abundance.

The usual excuse is: "The Big Boss is in Town". It is all a lie and BS !

They are to enforce a crackdown on Drugs, where the peroblem in the Farong community is 1%-2%. Yet the locals run arway on their motorbikes or vehicles unscathed !

Chiang Rai Police are the epidimy of blind eyes turned.........

Are they that stupid or just c_ _up_ !

Enough of this double standard and time for the ineptness, harassment of farongs, and double standards to be brought out in the open.

I am tired of this BS in Chiang Rai, and I am sure most Visitors are also.

I know I will be taking my hard currency elseware other than her in this crap Chiang Rai town.

Enough for me !

TIT, this is Thailand TB.Not back home

Nough belly aching from the non-locals.

Try the product, like it or not and decide for yourself.

If not go elsewhere or make your own entertainment.

There is always Pattaya,Phuket or Bkk for you

post-22300-0-48823100-1294523785_thumb.g

good Advice. And Welcome to the forum. I suspect your our first farong. :)

This is an odd rant, isn't it?

The Thais aren't so unhappy with the way the police perform their duties. That is the only standard we Farang need to be concerned about. We are guests in this country, like it or not. If not, there are other countries where they allow foreigners to become a part of the system and influence the changes that are implemented. Do you have money for the flight?

In my own personal dealings with the police, I find comfort in their friendliness. In my home country, I can be pretty much assured of a 3,000 or 6,000 baht equivalent ticket if I am stopped. Here, I just reach into my pocket and start handing out business cards when I am stopped and I have yet to receive a ticket. We discuss the business mentioned on the cards and then they allow me to go on my way with a "See you soon!". It seems each traffic stop is an opportunity, not a thing to be avoided. And if I did receive a ticket, I would not have to worry about it being 3,000 baht or, the first in a series of three that would see my privileges revoked upon receiving the third ticket in a given time frame. And not to forget, having the cost of my insurance increased dramatically because of the tickets.

The bar thing? Small potatoes. Let it go. Each business man knows what he is getting into before he buys into one. He already knows the hours he will have to work with. And for the customers, they can always go to the Thai bars, if late nights are what they are after.

Over all, Chiang Rai isn't a crap town at all. It seems as if you were wishing it was like other towns in Thailand. The fact that it isn't is what keeps me here. Maybe the fact that it isn't is what will keep you on the move. Good luck.

Edited by kandahar

TacoBoy. Can you please define your statement as to Where and When this all happened ?

Where did you get the 1-2% of farangs taking drugs in Chiang Rai ??

The other thing that I want to say to you is that ALL of the bars are Thai owner rented , the licensee is Thai , the Staff are Thai, If a Farang has any part of the bar scene it will be to fund one or if it is possible he may have a work permit that allows him to serve behind the bar (very doubtful)

Thirdly , it was the case a year or so ago that the police used to come around to all the bars that were open past 1am and tell the licensees to close. Some who stayed open late after being told to close and caught in the act were taken to the police station and fined , always Thais , never farangs.

When a NEW Police Chief comes into town , YES, the bars are closed early or on time and the Big Boss himself sometimes comes around with his men to do the checks , a hands on approach. A new brush sweeps clean , it normally takes a few weeks of him settling down before things get back to normal .

On many occasions over the years the police have driven past and not said anything even though the closing hour of 1am was well passed.

Generally the police in Chiang Rai are very good, very polite, friendly and dont bother us so much.

If there is a small inconvenience occasionally, so be it .

Chiang Rai Police do target THAI Bars and Nightclubs. I have been in them when they have been raided , arrests made for underage drinking , drugs used by Thais found and Duty free booze found being sold or for general bad behavior through drunkenness.

As others have mentioned , if you dont like it here or the rules , go somewhere else.

White mans bar

Served by a middle aged Thai lady, high prices, have to pour your own beer, grumpy old man in the background watching.

Thai bar

Served by 20 something Thai girl who sits and chats with you, pours your beer, squeezes against you.

Do the police really need to help customers make the choice?

Did you pay them off like everyone else does?

Over all, Chiang Rai isn't a crap town at all. It seems as if you were wishing it was like other towns in Thailand. The fact that it isn't is what keeps me here. Maybe the fact that it isn't is what will keep you on the move. Good luck.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is an odd rant, isn't it?

The Thais aren't so unhappy with the way the police perform their duties. That is the only standard we Farang need to be concerned about. We are guests in this country, like it or not. If not, there are other countries where they allow foreigners to become a part of the system and influence the changes that are implemented. Do you have money for the flight?

In my own personal dealings with the police, I find comfort in their friendliness. In my home country, I can be pretty much assured of a 3,000 or 6,000 baht equivalent ticket if I am stopped. Here, I just reach into my pocket and start handing out business cards when I am stopped and I have yet to receive a ticket. We discuss the business mentioned on the cards and then they allow me to go on my way with a "See you soon!". It seems each traffic stop is an opportunity, not a thing to be avoided. And if I did receive a ticket, I would not have to worry about it being 3,000 baht or, the first in a series of three that would see my privileges revoked upon receiving the third ticket in a given time frame. And not to forget, having the cost of my insurance increased dramatically because of the tickets.

The bar thing? Small potatoes. Let it go. Each business man knows what he is getting into before he buys into one. He already knows the hours he will have to work with. And for the customers, they can always go to the Thai bars, if late nights are what they are after.

You forgot to mention that your business card bears a strong resemblance to a 500 baht note ;)

Edited by skybluestu

Stu, that would be a slick trick. But I'm afraid that if I started handing out 500 baht notes to get out of a 200 baht ticket, the wife wouldn't approve. Much better for me to stay on her good side and not worry about what the cops think.

Mai Pen Rai

Well Tacoboy, if that's the way you feel about our town then you had best head off to BKK, Pattaya or the likes and find what you can to critisise about those places :annoyed: .

Crai is a fine city, has some good bars and people, and if newcoming moaners like you want to bore the rest of us and stay up boozing half the night, then I suggest you go to bed early, rise early and enjoy the pleasures of the sunset and early morning mists -Best time of the day here. You then might even begin to appreciate the place and want to stay :jap: .

I've never had a problem with the Chiang Rai police.

I think we tend to get pulled over more when driving in the border areas than other parts of Thailand and I've never found them to be anything else but polite, friendly and helpful.

I've never at any stage thought I was being asked to contribute to their retirement fund or police charities. B)

At a local level I've made several close friends amongst them.

(I even used to do one's English homework when he went back to school). :lol:

I've never had a problem with the Chiang Rai police.

I think we tend to get pulled over more when driving in the border areas than other parts of Thailand and I've never found them to be anything else but polite, friendly and helpful.

I've never at any stage thought I was being asked to contribute to their retirement fund or police charities. B)

At a local level I've made several close friends amongst them.

(I even used to do one's English homework when he went back to school). :lol:

It is easy to get the wrong impression about them, see them pulling over school Kids and not much else, but they are just doing there Jobs and probably reluctantly. I have become quite friendly with a few myself. I've been stopped many times at road blocks but only once been fined and that was down south . Like you say, friendly and polite, sometimes over friendly :)

I like they way they are still allowed to assess a situation and not automatically issue a fine or arrest someone.

I saw a Clip on a Thai TV program a couple of weeks ago. A guy was obviously drunk and trying to get on a motorbike, the BIB just laughed at him and told him to sober up first. rightly or wrongly, theres some sort of harmony there.

Very unlike the Coppers back home :D

"if you want to bore the rest of us and stay up boozing half the night, then I suggest you go to bed early, rise early and enjoy the pleasures of the sunset and early morning mists -Best time of the day here."

I like to go out chasing the ladys and boozing. :rolleyes: same as you.

11:00 pm is hardly half the night :P

I do go to bed early. At about 8:00am :lol:

Early morning mists and sunrises are enjoyed just before going to sleep B)

sunsets are enjoyed after waking from hybernation :D

Don't be so critical of others who are just blowing off steam. Sorry, was thinking with "My other Head" after something similar to coitis interuptus by the boys in brown who decided to interrupt a nice encounter way way before closing time. :o

This is Thailand, and yes we do have to deal with it. But when it is openly applied unfairly, sometimes one gets upset. :jap:

There are many fine people, life, and bars in this town and I agree :jap: I never said otherwise. Just venting about the earlier than normal uncalled for closing on that night when all the local venues were left alone and open til their normal 4 or 5am.

All of us know why. It is a non-spoken fact :ph34r:

Welcome to the forum anyway, we occasionally get "nightlife" inquiries from intending visitors but must of us here are stay-at-home old married men. (Including lannaman, don't let him tell you different!) :lol:

You can be our resident expert in this department. B)

Welcome to the forum anyway, we occasionally get "nightlife" inquiries from intending visitors but must of us here are stay-at-home old married men. (Including lannaman, don't let him tell you different!) :lol:

Ahhh Yes. Think I know this Wine loving married man. That is why I found the reply so HILLARIOUS :lol:

Maybe Mr L would be happy if I quit frequenting a particular bar :o or the many places that I do encounter him :D

This topic brought out some funny replies from some known souls. :rolleyes:

You seem to think you know us all?

Sometimes it's good fun trying to put board names to faces around town but I've found the people I do meet seldom match my mental image of them.

I never claimed to know all. But I do know a COUPLE of the members that replied. That is why I made the comment that I found it funny knowing who some of them are. B)

Ahhh Yes. Think I know this Wine loving married man. That is why I found the reply so HILLARIOUS :lol:

Maybe Mr L would be happy if I quit frequenting a particular bar :o or the many places that I do encounter him :D

Wine Loving and married too. Should be a law against it.

Chiang Rai is a small town Taco, seems most of us know most of us on here.

We had a thread on it a few weeks ago.

I bet you know Sunny Delight, I'm still not convinced your not the same person :D

Ah ha. So it was the 2.00 a.m. post after all. Happy to hear you have settled down. So, CR is a fine little town after all, isn't it?

If you don't wake up until the sun is going down, you wouldn't be able to make it to the potluck. However, if you find yourself getting up early on that day, come join us. You're likely to meet a whole slew of the posters from this forum and I haven't met a bad one yet. Except me.

"if you want to bore the rest of us and stay up boozing half the night, then I suggest you go to bed early, rise early and enjoy the pleasures of the sunset and early morning mists -Best time of the day here."

I like to go out chasing the ladys and boozing. :rolleyes: same as you.

11:00 pm is hardly half the night :P

I do go to bed early. At about 8:00am :lol:

Early morning mists and sunrises are enjoyed just before going to sleep B)

sunsets are enjoyed after waking from hybernation :D

Don't be so critical of others who are just blowing off steam. Sorry, was thinking with "My other Head" after something similar to coitis interuptus by the boys in brown who decided to interrupt a nice encounter way way before closing time. :o

This is Thailand, and yes we do have to deal with it. But when it is openly applied unfairly, sometimes one gets upset. :jap:

There are many fine people, life, and bars in this town and I agree :jap: I never said otherwise. Just venting about the earlier than normal uncalled for closing on that night when all the local venues were left alone and open til their normal 4 or 5am.

All of us know why. It is a non-spoken fact :ph34r:

Wine Loving and married too. Should be a law against it.

Chiang Rai is a small town Taco, seems most of us know most of us on here.

We had a thread on it a few weeks ago.

I bet you know Sunny Delight, I'm still not convinced your not the same person :D

Don't insult Sunny Delight comparing him to me. I heard he is a more "Handsome Man" than me.

Not one in the same , or even related (I don't think) :)

"Ah ha. So it was the 2.00 a.m. post after all. Happy to hear you have settled down. So, CR is a fine little town after all, isn't it?

If you don't wake up until the sun is going down, you wouldn't be able to make it to the potluck. However, if you find yourself getting up early on that day, come join us. You're likely to meet a whole slew of the posters from this forum and I haven't met a bad one yet. Except me."

Couldn't resist replying with the Vampire type response :lol:

A vampire can still enjoy sunrise and sunsets B)

I'll see if Igore can leave my cave unlocked the day of the Potluck.

Some times when I read these forums I think that I live in a different Thailand.

In the few years I have lived here I have NEVER paid a policeman, never been harassed by the ChiangRai police, or any other official.

I have applied for most of the things that you need - license, visa extensions, local government paperwar, an occasional misunderstanding with the language sorted out politely?????

Chaing Rai is a good place to live maybe its better to move on if you dont fit in.

Some times when I read these forums I think that I live in a different Thailand.

In the few years I have lived here I have NEVER paid a policeman, never been harassed by the ChiangRai police, or any other official.

I have applied for most of the things that you need - license, visa extensions, local government paperwar, an occasional misunderstanding with the language sorted out politely?????

Chaing Rai is a good place to live maybe its better to move on if you dont fit in.

Ditto. I have had a couple of 200 baht fines when passing through one of the check-points in town when not wearing a helmet (fair enough) and both times the policeman actually involved apologised for having to give me a ticket! But if I'm wearing a helmet they just wave me through and never check my documents like they do the Thais.

And there was an occasion a couple of years ago I was in a popular bar close to where I live where a lot of the students hang out when about 10 police came to check there were no underage drinkers, I thought they'd ignore my visiting friend and I as we were both well over the age limit but they didn't and, as we didn't have any ID, they chucked us in the back of their pick-up too and off to the station we went. My friend was pretty worried and ranted on about his human rights being violated but it turned out that foreigners are required to carry ID at all times (did you know that?) which is why we were taken as well. But as soon as my wife arrived with our passports they let us go and our Chang were still on our table when we got back to the bar.