Cmu Help

davidswhere?

Hi All,

Is there anyone out there currently working in the English department at CMU and happen to know if they will be looking for teachers for second semester.

I tried looking on their website and none of the menu buttons work but I did get the telephone number for the department and so I called them. The person I spoke to didn't speak English and as I don't speak Thai basically apologised and hung up!

I wonder if it's appropriate just to turn up, CV in hand...?

I'd appreciate any info/advice.

I've been working at CMU for 13 years now and I got the position by basically going to the different departments that may be interested with someone with my experience. So, yes it would be alright to test the waters with CV in hand. My situation is somewhat different in that I am a physics researcher with a background that few Thais could match (not boasting, just lucky to get this type of experience back home and that was needed here).

I imagine to work for the CMU English department they will require you to have a TESOL or TEFL certificate as well as a degree. Of course if the degree is in English then the certificate probably won't be necessary. They certainly will want to see significant experience in teaching English because I imagine the competion for a position will be high.

I've been working at CMU for 13 years now and I got the position by basically going to the different departments that may be interested with someone with my experience.  So, yes it would be alright to test the waters with CV in hand.  My situation is somewhat different in that I am a physics researcher with a background that few Thais could match (not boasting, just lucky to get this type of experience back home and that was needed here). 

I imagine to work for the CMU English department they will require you to have a TESOL or TEFL certificate as well as a degree.  Of course if the degree is in English then the certificate probably won't be necessary.  They certainly will want to see significant experience in teaching English because I imagine the competion for a position will be high.

Yes, I thought competition might be tough! I have and MA in Applied Linguistics, a CELTA and five years of expererience teaching general and EAP type subjects in universities and schools in Paris, Cairo and most recently in China.

Hopefully that counts as 'significant'...???

Yes, I thought competition might be tough! I have and MA in Applied Linguistics, a CELTA and five years of expererience teaching general and EAP type subjects in universities and schools in Paris, Cairo and most recently in China.

Hopefully that counts as 'significant'...???

Your experience does sound quite good especially the international teaching exposure. I would go for it. Don't make CMU your only choice, there are other colleges/schools in Chiangmai that may be happy to see you.