2011 Sony Digicams

MJP

Sony has announced five 16.2MP CMOS sensor Cyber-shot compact cameras, including the DSC-TX100V with 60fps 1080p movies and OLED touch-screen controls. Along side it we have the DSC-HX7V with built-in GPS and compass and image stabilized 10x (25-250mm equiv.) optical zoom lens. Another T series model introduced is the DSC-TX10 rugged compact with a 3.0 inch LCD. Lastly we have the DSC-WX10 and DSC-WX9, both capable of 10fps full resolution continuous shooting speeds plus 7x and 5x optical zoom lens starting at 24mm equivalent. These latter four models are capable of shooting full 1080i HD movies. All five are the world's first compacts to allow 3D still image shooting with one lens and imager.

dpreview

They've got to compete with the new HD SLR cameras and are stuggling to do so. It's certainly nice to have an all in one camera when you are faced with a variety of situations. Video is much better in portraying some things. Single shots are better for others. You just have to make sure which system is running at the time. The other day I thought I was taking single shots and it turned out I was taking video. I had to retake the shots later.

They've got to compete with the new HD SLR cameras and are stuggling to do so. It's certainly nice to have an all in one camera when you are faced with a variety of situations. Video is much better in portraying some things. Single shots are better for others. You just have to make sure which system is running at the time. The other day I thought I was taking single shots and it turned out I was taking video. I had to retake the shots later.

I've got an HX5V in Blighty for site work. It's the GPS/compass facility that's perfect for photographing . . . mud, yes that's right, mud. From big stockpiles of it, to close ups of trial pits. Thing is, when you get back to the site office you haven't numbered the photos and have no idea where they were taken so it becomes a fruitless exercise. HX5V geotags the photos and tells you the bearing and the angle the shots were taken . . . genius! Just wish it was ruggedized.

HX7V: 16mp CMOS! 3D! GPS/compass/gyroscope, Panarama sweep (this is useful for site), 1080 video (critical when proving ground conditions for a contract claim), 10x zoom!!! How in such a small package? It's voodoo I tell you, black magic. Although the HX5 will not get replaced until it gets run over by a 40 tonne dumper.

Where it goes a bit pear with the HX5 is the IQ and over smoothing of JPEG's, they need to calm it down and let the G lens do its thing. No RAW which is a shame.

SLR's? Forget it, just too big. I shall never ever bother with such a device, it would never get used.

Edited by MJP