`` Are There Any Thais Here? ``

Candyflip

I am a newbe here. I just wonder if there are any other thai that hop around on this forum. I am Thai, born and raised in Thailand till 17. Have been moving around 4 continents in last 8 years,so I am expat myself. But being expat in Thailand might be sweetest! ( I think )

For those who wonder what I am doing here in this farang forum, well I just wanna share my Thai point of view and learn different perspectives. Thats all. :o:D

Any Thais?

Ofcourse not! I would never be expat in my own country, that would really upset you guys huh? :o

But you know what ? I feel that I am alien in my own country sometimes and it getting worse everytime I go back to Bangkok. Reading topics in this forum helps alot unless I now appreciate Thailand and Being Thai more.

Ofcourse not! I would never be expat in my own country, that would really upset you guys huh? :o

But you know what ? I feel that I am alien in my own country sometimes and it getting worse everytime I go back to Bangkok. Reading topics in this forum helps alot unless I now appreciate Thailand and Being Thai more.

I know how you feel. A lot of expats have the same feelings when they return home.

Sometimes I feel more home in Bangkok than in my own country.

Pom con Thai, kup! Pood Thai mai geng, pood unggit dee gua, nah.

100% Thai in blood, good ol' US of A at heart. I'm in the same boat as you, my friend. My asian-college buddies used to call me a banana. B)

In regards to being treated like a foreigner, I'll tell you a story:

Two years ago, my girlfriend (Caucasian) and I went to Thailand for vacation. We went to Pattaya for a few days getting away from the Krung-Thep rut. I knew that she would be charged more for everything since she is white, so on a few occasians we tried to be savy about it. One time, I asked her to sit on the curb while I hail down a song-tel. No cabs in Pattaya, just song-tels. One stopped and I asked the driver how much it would be to go back to our hotel. He said (140) baht. (140) baht is merely, what, then (2001) around $3.00 which is inexpensive considering the cab rides in Chicago (I was from there at the time). But I wanted to dispute the fee, so I asked the driver why it was so expensive for a five minute ride, he looked at me and said "Kon Kow". I said "A lai wah?" B) So he pointed to my girl-friend waiting on the curb. Then the driver also said to me "Koon kon kow mirn-gun", because I spoke like a "farang". :o

It was rather hilarious, because he was so observant that I just had to pay the marked-up rate. I told my gf what had happened in the back of the song-tel and she laughed about it too. After that, I always called her "Kon Kow".

I also tried to sneak her in a zoo once. Bought two "Thai" tickets, and thought that if we were to rush in with a big crowd the attendants wouldn't notice. Well, they noticed and made a big fuss about it. "Farang mai dai, farang mai dai!" pointing to her ticket. This time she was not pleased about this situation since she was put on display like that. We had to go back and purchased two "Farang" tickets. They made me pay for a "farang" ticket since I tried to cheat them. I was merely having a little fun. O.K. and save a few baht too. :D